• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #260 scores, Xbox One vs. PS4

Maaseru

Banned
Who's lifetime??

Where is Ninja Gaiden? Zak McKraken? The Last Ninja? Tie Fighter? Super Metroid? A Link to the Past? Megaman? Ultima?

I'm too old :(

WTF...the put OOT as number 1, but no ALTTP?! I mean WTF!? I guess all these lists came about after OOT came out but don't they know that game is basically a 3d remake of ALTTP!?! It has the same exact game structure! Just change Aghanim with Ganondorf and that's is it!!!

UNCMark

Banned
really ? lol

Not hard to believe. Xbox controller has always been better than the DS. As for the cloud, it sounds like they're just rating what they know - game streaming. Sony has it, MS doesn't. To go beyond that, they'd need to use and understand what Azure is (the top rated cloud service in the world, which just recently beat out Amazon's formerly #1 service), and Edge isn't equipped to do that. Obviously many of these categories will change throughout the lifespan of the consoles.

Also lol at the disparity in Wii Party U scores between Edge and Famitsu. Famitsu getting that Nintendo money.

Isn't the XB1 one basically the same just with a better d-pad and trigger feedback?

No, they kinda tweaked everything, and some people aren't gonna like it.

The analog sticks got a little smaller, and the bumpers are a little different. Triggers are larger.

There are a couple of small quotes in the issue from Shinji Mikami and Keiji Inafune downplaying the hardware spec differences between the two consoles.

Mikami: "We only need one console. Why do I have to make two versions of a game? And when Xbox One was first announced it had lower specs than PS4, but now they're almost identical. So either will do."

Inafune: "I don't think there's a major difference between them. If you get down to the tiny details then maybe each is better at one thing than the other, but it doesn't really impact the way you make a game. It's not like PS4 or Xbox One are particularly hard to develop for. Quite the opposite: you can make whatever you want on wither one, and that should be enough for anyone."

FeiRR

Banned
You were obviously trying to be dismissive, since you even bothered to go the "I thought people playing racing games with wheels" route as a rebuttal to my analysis of how the trigger motors can add depth to racing games (and currently do in Forza 5, backed up by multiple ravings of the rumble triggers).
Because racing fans do use wheels. If you include a feature to cater for one genre only (which directly causes an increase of the price and other implications like reliability, etc.), it must be for some reason. Or you are just clueless at what you're doing. In case of Microsoft, I suspect the second option.
The DS4 motors being analogue do not mean they can create the same level of directional feedback. It means the motors can increase/decrease speed in a linear fashion. Every single motor in the XB1 controller could be digital with only one speed (exaggeration) and it would still provide the multi directional feedback that the DS4 can't match.
So you don't have any first-hand impressions or proof, just your speculations. None of the two controllers has "digital motors", they all have multiple levels of spin. Analog motors are stepless, old motors have speed presets (2 or 3 in case of DS3, I don't remember exactly). I was curious if you know what you're rambling about. You don't. This ends the discussion for me.

Bundy

Banned
Yeah, am surpirsed too. Has like everyone up to this day said the DS4 is the better controller?
Yep! And after I could play with both during Gamescom, I agree.
The DS3 was below average. The DS4 is the best controller this time.
Really unbelieveble!

AHA-Lambda

Isn't the XB1 one basically the same just with a better d-pad and trigger feedback?

I found it more uncomfortable to use and immediately awkward to use compared to the comfort of the 360 controller, as well as it seemed to me that the sensitivity was off, but that may be the game I played.

bGanci

Banned
Features
Xbox One vs PS4
Controller - Xbox One
Hardware - PS4
Launch Games - Xbox One
Indie Support - TBD(more indies coming out for ps4 but most will come out on Xbox one)
First Party Studios - PS4 (has more)
Second Screen Experience - PS4(vita)
Social Services - Xbox One
Cloud Tech - Xbox one
Media and Services - Xbox One
Development Ease - TBD
This is my opinion. Based on no first hand experience either console

ArjanN

Edge leading the charge in the console warz.

It's obviously way too early for any real Xbox One vs PS4 comparison.

Prine

Banned
I found it more uncomfortable to use and immediately awkward to use compared to the comfort of the 360 controller, as well as it seemed to me that the sensitivity was off, but that may be the game I played.

Quite the opposite for me. Forza was tight and the rumble was glorious. D Pad is a huge step up

Are you talking about the actual control pad in your hands, or Kinect?! Because I know of nothing drastically different with the new control pad which would allow for new genres or game types, and as for Kinect, I'm not holding my breath it will be used in any meaningful way in games. We all know the promises MS made with Kinect 1 and look how all that turned out.
The pad of course. It's not my job to dream up new genres. But I hope it offers some new possibilities we can't imagine.

Here's the bottom line on each of the face offs.

Controller: Microsoft adds 40 upgrades to its near-perfect 360 controller design and retains the title belt for another round
Hardware: While Xbox One attempts to blend in with your other consumer electronics PS4's design exudes real charisma
Launch window exclusives: A proven racing franchise in Forza 5 and exclusivity on Titanfall. Advantage Microsoft
Indie support: Sony is clearly out ahead when it comes to indies, and it's telling how much weight that has carried in players' minds
First party studios: Microsoft has weighty series but the combination of Naughty Dog, Media Molecule and Team Ico wins out.
Second screen experience: Having both Vita and tablets in play makes Sony's second-screen pitch the more immediately persuassive.
Social services: There's little to choose between them, but Microsoft is building its service on more stable foundations.
Cloud technology: Sony's vision for Gaikai feels like the most tangible road map either company has yet delivered
Media and services: If you want a multimedia box and don't mind Kinect's insidious side, Xbox One is the clear winner.
Ease of development: Both offer a friendly environment, but only Sony has the policies to really encourage experimentation

Also includes an interview with Frank Gibeau (EA) and Eric Hirshberg (Activision)

Hopefully this settles some of the moaning, there's 14 pages to read through. (struggled not to laugh at the Team ICO bit)

Dr. Kaos

Banned
I would have given cloud tech to xbone and controller to PS4. I agree with the rest.

I assume Edge liked the promise of Gaikai, something of a new feature more than the more mundane cheap and plentiful servers of xbox live.

I'm not sure why they liked the x1 controller better. I guess the vibrating triggers really made a difference. I didn't get to use them when playing KI.

Because racing fans do use wheels. If you include a feature to cater for one genre only (which directly causes an increase of the price and other implications like reliability, etc.), it must be for some reason. Or you are just clueless at what you're doing. In case of Microsoft, I suspect the second option.

So you don't have any first-hand impressions or proof, just your speculations. None of the two controllers has "digital motors", they all have multiple levels of spin. Analog motors are stepless, old motors have speed presets (2 or 3 in case of DS3, I don't remember exactly). I was curious if you know what you're rambling about. You don't. This ends the discussion for me.

It ends the discussion because you've never actually had any real point in the first place lmao.

You first start off (and continue) by even attempting to assert that any kind of majority of those who play racing use steering wheels over controllers, and use that cooked up assertion to try to dismiss the fact that the rumble in the triggers/multiple motors can transfer more information about how the car is behaving to the player (which is kind of a big deal for racing games).

You then try and jump into a discussion I was having with someone else about the types of motors and how they operate, attempt to infer that two analogue motors is equivalent to four (of any other type) in terms of directional feedback, obviously lose that battle, basically end up re-stating what I've already said and then throw your arms up in the air as if you've just dropped some megaton?

You've been doing cartwheels the entire time and have yet to prove any actual point or rebut any of mine.

Gammacide

Twenty best games (as voted by readers).

Also, because people that aren't you seemed to miss that part, it's the twenty best games as voted by readers released since the inception of the magazine.

Yeah, it seems Edge readers are all young and console-only gamers sadly.

I usually like edges opinions

"...except when I don't agree with them"?

good to hear the 360 controller on top, I love the 360 controller and don't like the idea of that symetrical sticks nonsense being crowned the king.

positively shocked that ps4 can win on 'cloud tech' i'm inclined to not believe it actually.

Such hilarity. It's fine when you agree with their opinion, but if not you're inclined to call it out as suspicious?!

This is my opinion. Based on no first hand experience either console

Indie Support - TBD(more indies coming out for ps4 but most will come out on Xbox one)

Your opinion is wrong. The PS4 having a much better spread of indie coverage is not exactly up for debate. Aside from Below, what confirmed Xbone indie games are there that aren't coming to other consoles?

Problem with Microsoft is they think they can buy every indie off like a sugar daddy. Maybe a few times you can do that but PC and other platforms are more important to indies than ever. Sony realises that, perhaps Microsoft does too. But it sure as hell doesn't show.

coldfoot

Banned
They're likely ranking the controllers based on tech, not personal feel.

The rumble triggers in the XB1 controller will likely add depth to games easier than the touch pad on the DS4.

Touchpad + Gyro's + LED light actually adds more inputs to the PS4 controller vs just better force feedback, so I'd think there are more possibilities with the DS4.

Ominym

Banned
I'm just going to assume the majority of people arguing about which controller in here is better haven't touched either of them. Sorry guys, but it's kind of impossible to say which is better without having used them first hand.

Touchpad + Gyro's + LED light actually adds more inputs to the PS4 controller vs just better force feedback, so I'd think there are more possibilities with the DS4.

Kinect is a controller
*poke*

Gyros vs full body tracking.

LED light vs, well Kinect tracks the position of the controller via IR anyway

Touchpad vs Rumble triggers is left in terms of (new) tech and touchpad isn't winning so far.

I would like to understand their reasoning on the controller. Most of the impressions I read or hear, the DS4 beats the One's controller.

Zia

Hah. Mario Galaxy GOTG confirmed
by reader vote

If they ever do another "best games" feature (unlikely considering they apparently now have like four full time staffers, can't keep the website relevant or review most things (period, or in a timely fashion)) it'll most likely be their Game of the Generation as well.

Edit: And to those bemoaning the lack of PC titles, you must realize that consensus is dispersed because PC players don't consume games in the same way that console players do, who tend to converge on each and every tent pole release.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Man is Sonic Lost World really that bad?

No. Not even close. It's a good game with great ideas but falters with some poor design choices and a frustrating last couple worlds. It's a 6/10 game at the bare minimum. I'd say it's more of a 7 game myself though. Anywhere between 6 and 7 seem like appropriate scores for Lost World. It's not even close to a 4.

Top Bottom