• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #260 scores, Xbox One vs. PS4

Steroyd

I see it no problem with cloud tech that PS4 seem advanced for customers.

I think there are 500MB or 1GB cloud storage currently. Hopefully it meant better integral on PS4 after Edge got hand on it.

I think the cloud save is now advertised at 2GB, don't know if that's 1GB for PS3 and Vita each though.

Why rumble adds depth.

I'm not too privvy on the DS4's rumble, but I'm sure there's been improvements in that area to, I remember reading that the Playroom used rumble in a way where it felt like there were loads of little bots physically inside the controller for example.

FeiRR

Banned
I think Beyond is really good, a 7ish, but think any score is understandable. Once you remove technical issues and genre comparisons, all that's left is your opinion of the pure experience, much like with a film. Hopefully going forward, we get more scoring like that. There should be tens, and zeros, for lots of games.

I hope we won't. I'm tired of gaming journalism in the present shape. Reviews no longer give you exact details like resolution, length of gameplay and other useful info. Instead, I get somebody's biased opinion which is usually far away from mine. But the worst comes at the end: a score out of 5 or 10. How can you summarize a game in one number? It's just stupid to do so. Most reviews don't even go into details like graphics, technicalities and such, just one digit and we're done. I know most people now are too impatient to read and too limited to comprehend what they read but those have youtube reviews to watch. I want useful reviews I could base my decision to spend money on. I'd like reviewers to leave esthetic impressions and matters of taste to my own judgement.

Sorry, that implication wasn't intended. Only that I have seen a lot of people say something like, 'well I think we should commend them just for trying something different'; irrespective of the quality of what they've done (which, by many accounts I've seen, is not great).
So you haven't played (or seen) the game yourself?

I've finished Beyond and it's a great experience, very unique because of things you do in it, because of how you're involved. I've seen opinions that it's not a game because you don't die and there's no challenge. How about classic adventure games? They had the same premises but the technology limited them to more static choices. I'm looking forward to more experiments like Beyond. Of course there can't be too many but one-two a year would be great. I'd say it's an indie (in terms of ideas) with a big AAA budget. And the graphics... I was esthetically blown away in almost every scene. It's a masterpiece.

Glad to see Edge isn't giving Beyond a free pass just for 'trying something different' like so many seem quite happy to do.
Well I'm not one of them. Beyond is not really trying something new after Heavy Rain, yet it is still easily in my top 3 of the year and may even beat TLoU. I genuinely loved it. Even when replaying it and looking back at the story there is not much wrong with it. Holds up much better than Heavy Rain.

StuBurns

Banned
This list is bizarre. Cloud, Second Screen, and Controller are all the opposite of what most people are saying, not the mention that the first two aren't even primary features of the PS4.
I think they are primary features, they're just not primary selling points. Cloud is the basis for all online interaction, and Sony are featuring it heavily, they're just not using the word cloud for it. Second screen, Sony's single app solution is much neater by the sounds of it, and Sony already did a test run on Beyond Two Souls. Serious second screen integration already exists for a core title. But again, Sony just don't really market it, for whatever reason.

They seem like things which would be hard to market. If second screens are good, you don't know it yet, or you already have it, and marketing the cloud means constantly explaining it, which is the exact opposite of marketing.
I hope we won't. I'm tired of gaming journalism in the present shape. Reviews no longer give you exact details like resolution, length of gameplay and other useful info. Instead, I get somebody's biased opinion which is usually far away from mine. But the worst comes at the end: a score out of 5 or 10. How can you summarize a game in one number? It's just stupid to do so. Most reviews don't even go into details like graphics, technicalities and such, just one digit and we're done. I know most people now are too impatient to read and too limited to comprehend what they read but those have youtube reviews to watch. I want useful reviews I could base my decision to spend money on. I'd like reviewers to leave esthetic impressions and matters of taste to my own judgement.
And that's totally a fine position, there will always be sources for that writing I imagine, and hope. Personally, I don't want that, but regardless of tastes towards reviews, Edge has never strived for objectivity in it's reviews. It's a bizarre irony of Edge, that they write with an institutional voice, don't have bylines, and yet produce the most introspective and subjective reviews.

I'm not too privvy on the DS4's rumble, but I'm sure there's been improvements in that area to, I remember reading that the Playroom used rumble in a way where it felt like there were loads of little bots physically inside the controller for example.

All they changed with the DS4 from DS3 is go from 1x small digital + 1x analogue motor to 2x analogue motors.

That isn't going to provide the same level of depth or clarity as the four separate motors in the XB1 controller.

People are also forgetting that Kinect is a controller, comes in the box and works with Forza/Battlefield/the general UI and other stuff

~~Hasan~~

It really is, Xbox Controller is pretty much perfect.

i am sorry but i don't think so.

the feedback from the xbox one controller about the triggers/shoulder isnt that great and sometimes people can push one by mistake.

and the Dpad isnt as good as the DS still. so no i don't think so.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I usually like edges opinions

Xbox One vs PS4
Controller - Xbox One
Hardware - PS4
Launch Games - Xbox One
Indie Support - PS4
First Party Studios - Ps4
Second Screen Experience - PS4
Social Services - Xbox One
Cloud Tech - PS4
Media and Services - Xbox One
Development Ease - PS4

good to hear the 360 controller on top, I love the 360 controller and don't like the idea of that symetrical sticks nonsense being crowned the king.

positively shocked that ps4 can win on 'cloud tech' i'm inclined to not believe it actually. I just don't see how they can have a better infrastructure than microsoft with azure. Is that opinion just based off announced features list or did they see some things? I'd fully expect that MS would eventually 'win cloud' if they can find out ways to utilise it that will benefit gamers, just because they have such a robust infrastructure.

ICPEE

wINjV36.gif
LOL OFMG i stained my undies. I salute you sir. I love GAF

i am sorry but i don't think so.

the feedback from the xbox one controller about the triggers/shoulder isnt that great and sometimes people can push one by mistake.

and the Dpad isnt as good as the DS still. so no i don't think so.

It's subjective. Saying "I am sorry" just comes across as patronising and obnoxious

Do you know what subset means?

It is the exact same tech with a different name.

Your quote shows that thunderhead is a subset of Azure.

Thunderhead is therefore a part of Azure reserved for xbox usage using your quote.

Azure is just servers right? So they reserved some of those servers(not all but some) specifically for XB1 to use right? Outside of dedicated servers for multiplayer what does thunderhead add? If dedicated servers is all azure adds, edge choosing gaikai over something insignificant(in comparison) is still valid........right?

FeiRR

Banned
So you're trying to dismiss the fact that the triggers and other motors being able to better convey more information about what the car is doing out of the two controllers doesn't matter because racing games are apparently supposed to be played with wheels?
I'm not trying to dismiss anything. I asked a simple question: do you know what games other than the racing genre would benefit from impulse triggers? We know that shooters are a big genre on Xbox and I can't see any benefit for those games.

The XB1 controller has four motors. The DS4 has two.
Are all of those X1 controller motors analog? Have you tried both controllers yourself or are you just another person in this thread passing judgement based on third hand reports?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
indie support thing is a real biggie for me, it may be what pushes me ps4 direction. I need to try that controller though, I'm so skeptical of the dualshock anything. hated those controllers.

~~Hasan~~

It's subjective. Saying "I am sorry" just comes across as patronising and obnoxious

neither. he was just posting his opinion as a fact " it really is "

when it "really" isn't. And no. the DS4 isn't perfect either. but you know what? this is subjective to what the gamer's think/feel in his hand.

its just so far in general. all the feedback about the DS4 is very good. while there are SOME complaints about the Xbox one controller. so that kinda puts the DS ahead.

CryptiK

Controller is better on the Xbox One? News to me the Xbox One controller felt like a crampfest everything was smaller.

Row

Banned
for the xb1 when you look past the bullshit cloud = better gfx, there isn't much else there outside cloud saves, not really a surprise given sony's cloud services are actually practical

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
This is the first time I have heard someone say they prefer the X1 controller over the PS4. Definitely a dissenting opinion.

EGM1966

I presume Edge are counting Kinect together with pad as controller - which would give XB1 more extensive options than PS4.

On the same note I presume they're counting Gaikai as Cloud for Sony which specific to games would arguably give PS4 more real options than XB1 at this point.

List seems pretty pointless though - just taking based on current info which seems to have broadest options in each category and going with that.

Gammacide

I hope they mean 20 best *console* games because to have a list like that without Planescape Torment OR Baldur's Gate 2 is beyond fucking dimwitted.

I still say this is subjective and depends heavily on the games you play.. Play Forza 5 with the Xbox controller and you will think differently of it than if you say play Ryse.

I definitely agree with this. I think this is a large part of the reason why some people prefer the DualShock 3 over the 360 controller - I'd say the DS3 is better with action adventures and JRPGs, which the 360 controller is better with shooters and racing games. A huge amount of that preference is dependent on the kind of game you play.

I'm glad Nintendo games still make up the bulk of people's Best Games of all Times lists. Six Nintendo console games (yes I am counting RE4) in the top ten Edge list is not bad at all.

You're counting a multiplatform Capcom game as a Nintendo game because it suits your argument? Yay for logic!

Glad to see Edge isn't giving Beyond a free pass just for 'trying something different' like so many seem quite happy to do.

While I do agree in a sense, I'm also glad there are developers trying to be different, whether they're successful or not. I'd much rather see QD develop a game like Beyond than make a modern military FPS or sports game.

Visuals alone should put Beyond above many games. Stimply astounding looking.

No, no, nonononononono. Go and play Lone Survivor and repent.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
All they changed with the DS4 from DS3 is go from 1x small digital + 1x analogue motor to 2x analogue motors.

That isn't going to provide the same level of depth or clarity as the four separate motors in the XB1 controller.
The DS4 is bigger and gripier than the DS3. Also, like the touchpad, no one is utilizing the 4 motors just yet. Maybe Forza 5? Nonetheless, most have ruled DS4 as being better so this is a bit of a surprise.

Zia

I hope they mean 20 best *console* games because to have a list like that without Planescape Torment OR Baldur's Gate 2 is beyond fucking dimwitted.

Twenty best games (as voted by readers).

Also, because people that aren't you seemed to miss that part, it's the twenty best games as voted by readers released since the inception of the magazine.

I'm not trying to dismiss anything. I asked a simple question: do you know what games other than the racing genre would benefit from impulse triggers? We know that shooters are a big genre on Xbox and I can't see any benefit for those games.

Are all of those X1 controller motors analog? Have you tried both controllers yourself or are you just another person in this thread passing judgement based on third hand reports?

You were obviously trying to be dismissive, since you even bothered to go the "I thought people playing racing games with wheels" route as a rebuttal to my analysis of how the trigger motors can add depth to racing games (and currently do in Forza 5, backed up by multiple ravings of the rumble triggers).

The DS4 motors being analogue do not mean they can create the same level of directional feedback. It means the motors can increase/decrease speed in a linear fashion. Every single motor in the XB1 controller could be digital with only one speed (exaggeration) and it would still provide the multi directional feedback that the DS4 can't match.

As for your question (that along with your generally dismissive and negative tone comes across as more like infer than enquire), use your imagination. You can't see how rumbling triggers could add to a game based mainly on pulling triggers?

Between that and the "but people use wheels to play driving games" comments, I'm beginning to wonder if you're trolling or not.

(and once more guys, Kinect is a controller)

neither. he was just posting his opinion as a fact " it really is "

when it "really" isn't

and no. the DS4 isnt perfect either. but you know what? this is subjective to what the gamers think/feel in his hand.

its just so far in general. all the feedback about the DS4 is very good. while there are SOME complaints about the Xbox one controller. so that kinda puts the DS ahead.

Yes that goes for him too which I should of quoted but honestly it's becoming annoying

I've tried both myself. The DS4 is a massive improvement and the One is a slight improvement on a already great pad. For me the Xbox pad is the more enjoyable one out of the two. It's actually the best gen for controllers in years imo

I have to strongly disagree with that list. It is so console-focused that is not even funny.
I can name at least half a dozen PC title from the same 1995-2000 era that just ravages and eats alive any Zelda titles from the same age. And seriously, the Last of Us?

Stop it. Stop. Please. Opinions and such. Voted by Edge readers, I imagine the number of console gamers who buy edge vastly outnumber PC gamers who buy it

ICPEE

Controller is better on the Xbox One? News to me the Xbox One controller felt like a crampfest everything was smaller.
They spent a ton of money on getting the Xbox One controller exactly right and yet popular opinion suggests that the DualShock 4 is the better gamepad. Oh well, im sure they are both amazing.
As for this Edge comparison? Im not reading too much into it as some of it is really surprising.

Happy gaming

Derrick01

Banned
The controller thing goes against what almost everyone else has said so far, from both the media and general user impressions. I don't buy it.

Just to chime in on Beyond, I finished it last week and I thought it was excellent. Can definitely see why some would hate the combat "QTE" segments, but those account for such a small percentage of the overall game that it's hard to get worked up about them.

The overall atmosphere and story more than make up for a couple of clunky parts. The story options available to you and the more open/Aiden based gameplay are pretty sweet as well.

It's far from perfect, but I just can't relate to any opinion that thinks it belongs in the sub-7 zone tbh.

It really is, Xbox Controller is pretty much perfect.

Haha... Jesus H...

The DS4 is bigger and gripier than the DS3. Also, like the touchpad, no one is utilizing the 4 motors just yet. Maybe Forza 5? Nonetheless, most have ruled DS4 as being better so this is a bit of a surprise.

Many people seem to prefer the DS4, but clearly both are great so it's going to be completely subjective and I'm sure the spread will be fairly even. It's not like this gen where Sony didn't even try with the DS3 and MS already had a good base to build from with the Xbox controller S.

I agree though that it will be a good generation for comfy controllers.
Except for the Gamepad trollolol

The thing that excites me most about the Xbox One controller is the new genres, that were previously impossible because we didn't have this technology. Not how relevant it is to provide minimal immersive/visceral/etc improvements over established genres.

Lime

Sorry, that implication wasn't intended. Only that I have seen a lot of people say something like, 'well I think we should commend them just for trying something different'; irrespective of the quality of what they've done (which, by many accounts I've seen, is not great).

I do think there's a chance for improvement now that they've actually hired writers, though.

It is true that within a purely analytical context, matters of difference in comparison to the usual aren't significant or particularly important.

However, from a wider cultural perspective, it absolutely matters to commend a product for its diversity, its relatively unconventional subject matters & themes, and its attempt to change up the state of things, despite the fact that it might be a narrative travesty, such as Beyond Two Souls.

Thus, I don't think your notion that it's wrong to commend a developer for doing something unconventional and besides the norm (especially given the high-risk nature of the project) is correct or that it has much merit. We should strive for more diversity in the offerings of video games and we should commend the products that at the very least attempt to do something relatively different, despite the, in Beyond's case, many, many failings across the board.

EvB

It's far from perfect, but I just can't relate to any opinion that thinks it belongs in the sub-7 zone tbh.

I think you'd have to be a right hard nosed bastard to give it a 5.

Yeah it's not the best 'game' in the world, but neither was Journey or Dear Esther, which both got 8s in Edge.

The thing that excites me most about the Xbox One controller is the new genres, that were previously impossible because we didn't have this technology. Not how relevant it is to provide minimal immersive/visceral/etc improvements over established genres.

Are you talking about the actual control pad in your hands, or Kinect?! Because I know of nothing drastically different with the new control pad which would allow for new genres or game types, and as for Kinect, I'm not holding my breath it will be used in any meaningful way in games. We all know the promises MS made with Kinect 1 and look how all that turned out.

The controller thing goes against what almost everyone else has said so far, from both the media and general user impressions. I don't buy it.

I imagine it will come down to your preference for asymmetric vs symmetric stick positions. Otherwise, both controllers look to be the better versions of their previous selves.

Top Bottom