• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #260 scores, Xbox One vs. PS4

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Why are people surprised by the cloud result? We were talking about cloud before MS redefined it and claimed it for themselves. They've got Live Compute too, so am I too assume than any talk of Compute from Sony will also be met with the same quizzical comments? The one thing MS are good at is associating buzz words with their products. The one thing their bad at is delivering on those buzz words.

StuBurns

Banned
Sony uses the cloud too, they just don't discuss it, because it's stupid. Cloud saves, matchmaking, user data, etc.

'PlayStation Universe', whenever it's really revealed, probably isn't really what Edge are talking about, because they can't know that much about it yet, certainly they can't print if they do.

Stuff like controller,launch lineup and first party studios is subjective.

I don't think first party studios is subjective. Sony is the clear winner in that regard. Maybe we can re-analyse this at the end of the gen when some of MS's newer acquisitions like Press Play and Black Tusk have had time to establish themselves, but so far I'd say Sony is far in front.

The launch lineup is in MS's favour for those who like 'Triple-A' retail games, but Sony's favour for those who prefer more unusual downloadable titles. I fall into the latter category which is a big part of why I find the PS4 a much more compelling prospect.

Loudninja

I don't think first party studios is subjective. Sony is the clear winner in that regard. Maybe we can re-analyse this at the end of the gen when some of MS's newer acquisitions like Press Play and Black Tusk have had time to establish themselves, but so far I'd say Sony is far in front.

The launch lineup is in MS's favour for those who like 'Triple-A' retail games, but Sony's favour for those who prefer more unusual downloadable titles. I fall into the latter category which is a big part of why I find the PS4 a much more compelling prospect.
I agree but remember people like different games.

But Sony does have a wide variety of studios,though I am not sure how Edge is judging that category.

None if those things are adding depth though. All of your examples are forms of force feedback which the rumble triggers are not capable of. They are no different then the same rumble we've always had. So no.

I'm going to quote what I said again:

Yes, as in feeling the lock up on the brake trigger in a driving game.

Feeling the left trigger pulse as you brake/as ABS kicks in does not require force feedback. Ask anyone who's played Forza 5. The brake trigger can provide feedback and allow you to feel if you are locking the brakes, therefore giving the player a deeper understanding of the limits of how they can brake without losing stability.

Or being able to feel direction feedback (front left/front right/rear left/rear right).

Again, nothing to do with force feedback requirements (I don't even know how you came to that conclusion).

There are four rumble motors in the controller.

Two up front and two at the rear. They can be programmed to provide localised/directional feedback based on whatever is happening in a game.

Again taking a driving game for an example, if your rear wheels are spinning up/sliding out, you can feel it at the rear of the controller. If your front wheels are shuddering due to understeer, you can feel it at the front. Deeper knowledge of what is happening = more ability to adapt.

Feeling the different types of gun kick in FPS games.

Again, nothing to do with FFB requirements. The trigger can just vibrate at different frequencies/amplitudes to mimic different fire rates/kicks for different weapons.

(actually, it would be cool if they could add slight time delay to the main rumble after the trigger rumble in this instance to simulate a kick back. Especially for powerful one shot weapons).

These situations have the ability to add depth to gameplay.

Asd202

WTF Xbone has a better controller? When everybody been saying how good the PS4 controller is and cloud tech is better on PS4? Edge always looking for controversy
:p.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Glad to see Edge isn't giving Beyond a free pass just for 'trying something different' like so many seem quite happy to do.

iceatcs

I see it no problem with cloud tech that PS4 seem advanced for customers.

I think there are 500MB or 1GB cloud storage currently. Hopefully it meant better integral on PS4 after Edge got hand on it.

Zia

Rain is one of my disappointments of the year. Blech. Beyond always looked shit.

The controller comparison is pretty interesting. The DS3 was such an uncomfortable, dated thing that I wonder if the DS4 isn't viewed in a better light by most simply because it's such a colossal improvement.

Features
Xbox One vs PS4
Controller - Xbox One
Hardware - PS4
Launch Games - Xbox One
Indie Support - PS4
First Party Studios - Ps4
Second Screen Experience - PS4
Social Services - Xbox One
Cloud Tech - PS4
Media and Services - Xbox One
Development Ease - PS4

What the? Printing error? Cloud, i guess i understand, maybe because of Gaikai. Controller though? No clue.

Gaz_RB

So when will reviewers and stuff be getting PS4's and XB1's?

I still say this is subjective and depends heavily on the games you play.. Play Forza 5 with the Xbox controller and you will think differently of it than if you say play Ryse.

Yeah it's pretty subjective. Some prefer the DS4, some like the XB1 controller. No way to say which one is better unless there is some defect with one of them.

v1oz

I'm glad Nintendo games still make up the bulk of people's Best Games of all Times lists. Six Nintendo console games (yes I am counting RE4) in the top ten Edge list is not bad at all.

Glad to see Edge isn't giving Beyond a free pass just for 'trying something different' like so many seem quite happy to do.

I liked Beyond and I'm completely OK with Edge score. Your statement implies that there's no way to like Beyond without giving it a free pass. Any reason why you think that?

FeiRR

Banned
Feeling the left trigger pulse as you brake/as ABS kicks in does not require force feedback. Ask anyone who's played Forza 5. The brake trigger can provide feedback and allow you to feel if you are locking the brakes, therefore giving the player a deeper understanding of the limits of how they can brake without losing stability.
This is all nice but what other uses of pulse triggers can you think of other than a racing game? I thought racing games are supposed to be played with wheels.

There are four rumble motors in the controller.

Two up front and two at the rear. They can be programmed to provide localised/directional feedback based on whatever is happening in a game.
DS4 also has more than two motors which can direct vibrations.

Condemning it for exactly the same thing isn't any wiser.

StuBurns

Banned
I think Beyond is really good, a 7ish, but think any score is understandable. Once you remove technical issues and genre comparisons, all that's left is your opinion of the pure experience, much like with a film. Hopefully going forward, we get more scoring like that. There should be tens, and zeros, for lots of games.

Quasar

Who's lifetime??

Where is Ninja Gaiden? Zak McKraken? The Last Ninja? Tie Fighter? Super Metroid? A Link to the Past? Megaman? Ultima?

I'm too old :(

It does reinforce the age of the typical EDGE reader I guess. Of course if I was making the lists there would be things like text adventures as well as things like Elite. And Civ.

JaggedSac

It's not FUD, it's much more accurate than saying it uses Azure. Azure is not exclusive to XB1, only Thunderhead is.

Actually its more accurate to say, devs have access to dedicated and reserved cloud resources of Azure and these resources are labeled as Thunderhead.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
How does PS4 win "cloud"? Has something not been announced or something?

Announced PS4 cloud plans:

Run entire games off the cloud to a myriad of clients
Instant game demos
Remote play with friends

Announced XB1 cloud plans:

Dedicated MP servers
Run parts of XB1 games off the cloud (most commonly cited defensively wrt local power)

These are mostly just visions on both sides but I think it's perfectly reasonable if they prefer Sony's vision so far. Both have technical credibility, between Sony's purchase of Gaikai and Microsoft's own in-house experience.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I liked Beyond and I'm completely OK with Edge score. Your statement implies that there's no way to like Beyond without giving it a free pass. Any reason why you think that?

Sorry, that implication wasn't intended. Only that I have seen a lot of people say something like, 'well I think we should commend them just for trying something different'; irrespective of the quality of what they've done (which, by many accounts I've seen, is not great).

I do think there's a chance for improvement now that they've actually hired writers, though.

R3TRODYCE

I think Beyond is really good, a 7ish, but think any score is understandable. Once you remove technical issues and genre comparisons, all that's left is your opinion of the pure experience, much like with a film. Hopefully going forward, we get more scoring like that. There should be tens, and zeros, for lots of games.
Agreed, I highly enjoyed it; easily in my top 5 of the year.

Cloud Tech - PS4

trazJFV.jpg

chad warden. please return for the p s quadruple

This is all nice but what other uses of pulse triggers can you think of other than a racing game? I thought racing games are supposed to be played with wheels.

DS4 also has more than two motors which can direct vibrations.

Really?

So you're trying to dismiss the fact that the triggers and other motors being able to better convey more information about what the car is doing out of the two controllers doesn't matter because racing games are apparently supposed to be played with wheels?

Could you maybe provide some figures that show the ratio of gamers that play racing games on console with wheels vs those who use standard controllers to back up your stance that improving racing experience for controllers is inconsequential?

I already gave other uses for the triggers in the same post you quoted.

Directional feedback from the game world without the need for visual cues (b-b-bloody screeeen,
so reaall
), enhancing feedback in fps games, using them as cues to do stuff. Whatever.

Its the equivalent of having additional sound drivers to present greater clarity instead of trying to push all sound frequencies out of one driver.

Nope.

The XB1 controller has four motors. The DS4 has two.

The ability for directional rumble feedback is far greater in the XB1 controller.

Prine

Banned
Xbox One controller and launch lineup is better, always knew this, good to see Edge shares the same opinion.

Having played Xbox One controllers, rumble on the triggers were wonderfully implemented, i can see potentially guns feeling different when playing FPS games. Love the feel of the sticks

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This list is bizarre. Cloud, Second Screen, and Controller are all the opposite of what most people are saying, not the mention that the first two aren't even primary features of the PS4.

Top Bottom