• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #260 scores, Xbox One vs. PS4

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Its christmas soon, next gen launch soon, and they're the only games they have for review?
Fucking awful. Better make up for it next month.

next month should be a full-on next gen launch blowout. I'd love for them to review both versions side by side but that'll have to wait for Digital Foundry

Mugatu

Looks as useless as the Game Informer comparison, making it sound like they're the same, no real differences at all, just pure preference.

Kinyou

Some people aren't impressed by the new LB and RB buttons.

No, they kinda tweaked everything, and some people aren't gonna like it.

The analog sticks got a little smaller, and the bumpers are a little different. Triggers are larger.

I found it more uncomfortable to use and immediately awkward to use compared to the comfort of the 360 controller, as well as it seemed to me that the sensitivity was off, but that may be the game I played.
Oho. Thought that the XB1 controller would be a given. Now I'm worried that I might not like either of them

Launch window exclusives: A proven racing franchise in Forza 5 and exclusivity on Titanfall. Advantage Microsoft

Is a game that's releasing four months after launch really a "launch window" game? They're really stretching it out now.

Since when does hardware mean aesthetics?
Since when did hardware mean technical specifications? Companies have been obfuscating technical details for years now.
Is a game that's releasing four months after launch really a "launch window" game? They're really stretching it out now.
I think we've gotten more lenient with this term but Nintendo really took the piss with theirs. 4 months isn't a long time.

FourMyle

I have to strongly disagree with that list. It is so console-focused that is not even funny.
I can name at least half a dozen PC title from the same 1995-2000 era that just ravages and eats alive any Zelda titles from the same age. And seriously, the Last of Us?

Pretty much. These "best games of all time lists" are almost always decided by people who know very little about gaming.

R3TRODYCE

Im buying Beyond I dont give a fuck about review scores

74206-thats-good-thats-damn-good-gif-HU8B.gif

peace

Neo Member
This might seem like a strange question but is/was Chrono Trigger better than SNES Zelda A Link To The Past? I have never really played it properly but I will if it matches Zelda (3?)

peace

Neo Member
Pretty much. These "best games of all time lists" are almost always decided by people who know very little about gaming.

Please name those PC games that eat any Zelda title. I'd buy them right now. If those PC games were really better then Edge would have said so. I know it's your opinions but please don't think everyone would think the same.

XultrA

Neo Member
Media and services: If you want a multimedia box and don't mind Kinect's insidious side, Xbox One is the clear winner.

Well, not if you don't want to pay.
No subscription no Netflix.

PORKMON

Please name those PC games that eat any Zelda title. I'd buy them right now. If those PC games were really better then Edge would have said so. I know it's your opinions but please don't think everyone would think the same.

yeah some of them I have. At E3, Gamescom and Eurogamer show. why you ask?

Sony clearly win on the first party studio front, MS have opened a lot of new ones that are promising but its early days and none have released anything yet.

But Team Ico and Media Molecule on the list? Team Ico have been MIA all generation and Media Molecule, well LBP was good but I would have thought SSM, Sucker Punch and Polyphony would be much more worthy of being on the list, perhaps a bit nit picky but still.

Don't really have any complaints at their comparison though

Replying to OP and edge content:

Unbiased it seems, which makes for a nice change but I disagree with these two:

1. Cloud: seriously GaiKai not available at launch and coming next year with no facts about geolocation of datacentres, platform features, proven technology, investment, resources etc. This one goes to Microsoft/Azure easily, clearly edge are not aware of the scale and capabilities of Azure that launched 3 years ago. GaiKai is basically USA only based and outsources to third party datacentres/pipes. Azure is in house MS and on a global scale delivery regional dedicated servers. Azure/Compute is a far more mature platform that is available to gamers and developers alike AT LAUNCH. Fail on this one edge.

2. Second screen: again this should go to MS/X1. Sony lock you into Sony products where Smartglass enables any devices you own regardless of brand or future purchases etc. I agree the VITA integration is more mature with Sony but overall I think Smartglass beats the closed Sony system here. I can see how this goes both ways though.

Otherwise that OP summary and edge's take on things was quite good and helpful.

Raymo

1. Cloud: seriously GaiKai not available at launch and coming next year with no facts about geolocation of datacentres, platform features, proven technology, investment, resources etc. This one goes to Microsoft/Azure easily, clearly edge are not aware of the scale and capabilities of Azure that launched 3 years ago. GaiKai is basically USA only based and outsources to third party datacentres/pipes. Azure is in house MS and on a global scale delivery regional dedicated servers. Azure/Compute is a far more mature platform that is available to gamers and developers alike AT LAUNCH. Fail on this one edge.

2. Second screen: again this should go to MS/X1. Sony lock you into Sony products where Smartglass enables any devices you own regardless of brand or future purchases etc. I agree the VITA integration is more mature with Sony but overall I think Smartglass beats the closed Sony system here. I can see how this goes both ways though.

The ps4 second screen works on iOS and Android.

GetemMa

Are you telling me that having some half assed 2nd screen features on a tablet is more useful than being able to stream your entire PS4 game to the Vita?

That's a joke right?

BTW: I'll take the proposition of being able to stream classic playstation games over a cloud than the proposed magic cloud based processing which, so far, seems to be only used in ways that aren't very impressive IE AI calculations in Titanfall and Forza.

Are you telling me that having some half assed 2nd screen features on a tablet is more useful than being able to stream your entire PS4 game to the Vita?

That's a joke right?

BTW: I'll take the proposition of being able to stream classic playstation games over a cloud than the proposed magic cloud based processing which, so far, seems to be only used in ways that aren't very impressive IE AI calculations in Titanfall and Forza.

I agree the VITA integration is more mature with Sony but overall I think Smartglass beats the closed Sony system here. I can see how this goes both ways though.

Given my being incorrect about the Sony closed system I totally agree this should go to Sony.

If you read the quotes carefully most of these "winner" determinations are based entirely on either hype or perceptions of said hype. They measure first party exclusives based entirely at the studio level, not comparing any concrete launch titles. This is a worthless comparison and this entire "versus" should be summarily rejected. It is entirely conjecture.

Like the Sega Saturn controller, I never got the "Greatest Ever!" vibe surrounding the Xbox controller. The Dpad is horrible, the triggers are too long and deep, and the analog sticks are placed odd. Great controller? Yes. Greatest ever? Far from it.

Controller: Microsoft adds 40 upgrades to its near-perfect 360 controller design and retains the title belt for another round

My analysis: They are simply taking their formed opinion from previous gen and bringing it to the fore. No actual comparison took place.

Hardware: While Xbox One attempts to blend in with your other consumer electronics PS4's design exudes real charisma

My analysis: Edge is only looking at the exterior.

Launch window exclusives: A proven racing franchise in Forza 5 and exclusivity on Titanfall. Advantage Microsoft

My analysis: They haven't played any of these games and are simply making a judgment based on old knowledge.

Indie support: Sony is clearly out ahead when it comes to indies, and it's telling how much weight that has carried in players' minds

My analysis: Any look at the release list would come to this conclusion.

First party studios: Microsoft has weighty series but the combination of Naughty Dog, Media Molecule and Team Ico wins out.

My analysis: What does this have to do with launch? None of those studios have launch titles. This is a useless comparison for launch. Compare the actual first-party launch titles.

Second screen experience: Having both Vita and tablets in play makes Sony's second-screen pitch the more immediately persuasive.

My analysis: Uh, ok.

Social services: There's little to choose between them, but Microsoft is building its service on more stable foundations.

My analysis: Uh, ok. So you don't know, so why pick a winner at all?

Cloud technology: Sony's vision for Gaikai feels like the most tangible road map either company has yet delivered

My analysis: "feels"? You are declaring a winner based on feel?

Media and services: If you want a multimedia box and don't mind Kinect's insidious side, Xbox One is the clear winner.

My analysis: Uh, ok.

Ease of development: Both offer a friendly environment, but only Sony has the policies to really encourage experimentation

My analysis: And which policies are those? Explain. No? Edge making shit up again? OK!

This is a worthless feature. No real information, anyone reading a gaming forum could come to all of these conclusions. We want information we don't have, like honest to goodness impressions of tangible hardware and software.

SuperD77

Banned
So I don't know much about Gaikai other than they were a separate company that Sony bought and is planning to use to roll out streaming titles and possible backwards compatibility. Was / is the service actually working with some level of confidence with other titles or is it still fairly speculative at this point? Can I actually sign up for it now?

So I don't know much about Gaikai other than they were a separate company that Sony bought and is planning to use to roll out streaming titles and possible backwards compatibility. Was / is the service actually working with some level of confidence with other titles or is it still fairly speculative at this point? Can I actually sign up for it now?

The feature, every single word is entirely speculative. All of it.

Well, not if you don't want to pay.
No subscription no Netflix.
I think it's the HBO Go, ESPN, HDMI in port that really clinched it here.

Top Bottom