• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #260 scores, Xbox One vs. PS4

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Cloud Tech - PS4

001_1.gif

dale

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Agree, I now expect all Xbone games to get better reviews than the PS4.

Will stick to reading reviews from Eurogamer.

Jeez guys, I sure hope eurogamer happens to review the games gamer forever prefers better, or else he may have to take his reading elsewhere!

JaggedSac

The cloud offerings from the two aren't even comparable. One is game streaming tech, and one is computational\infrastructure services for developers.

Dragon

Banned
Why? Sony's system is single app based, seems much better.

Shpeshal_Ed obviously is an MS insider that has extensively used both and has come to his/her own conclusion based on evidence rather than bias. I for one applaud him/her.

The cloud offerings from the two aren't even comparable. One is game streaming tech, and one is computation\infrastructure services for developers.

I'm not sure what point you're making, but you're sort of being disingenuous to both sides of the debate.

Stuff like controller,launch lineup and first party studios is subjective.
Of course it's subjective, why wouldn't it be?
How can they judge which has the better launch games? They can only go on quantity which isn't a good measure in this instance.
They are probably going by exclusives. When it comes to exclusives(aka only available on XB1 and not PC), a lot of people think XB1 is ahead in that regard. Forza, DR3, Crimson Dragon, Ryse:)lol) and Killer Instinct vs Killzone and Knack(might be :lol worthy, don't know yet) and resogun.
What is the"lol" for? Halo definitely deserves it's spot.
That...makes no sense. Like MS doesn't own Azure? Azure is only matched by Amazon and google...
XB1 doesn't use azure.

Xbox One takes the controller?

That's actually quite the opposite of the majority of the impressions so far. Interesting.

I've read a lot of impressions praising the X1 controller too. It's going to ultimately come down to personal preference I think, much like how many here prefer the DS3 over the 360 pad.

BTW, does this mean that neither A Link Between Worlds nor 3D Land will get a cover story?:(
Edge seldom give hand held games a cover. I know WipEout Pure and Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars got one. Official Nintendo Magazine will have it if that's any consolation. I wouldn't rule out 3D Land getting a cover, however.
When is this out digitally? I want to read the article before making any conclusions.
Tomorrow for Apple and Google Play. Maybe a little later for Zinio. They seem to slack.

Loudninja

Of course it's subjective, why wouldn't it be?

They are probably going by exclusives. When it comes to exclusives(aka only available on XB1 and not PC), a lot of people think XB1 is ahead in that regard. Forza, DR3, Crimson Dragon, Ryse:)lol) Killer Instinct vs Killzone and Knack(might be :lol worthy, don't know yet) and resogun.

What is the"lol" for? Halo definitely deserves it's spot.

XB1 doesn't use azure.
Some people dont seem to get that hehe.

Super Mario 64 and RE4 should not be that high. HL2, Portal, MGS, FF7 and FF6 should be the top 5.

But the fact that they gave the cloud tech to Sony when it's really not even toting it says volumes. Over compensation by MS much?

Controllers is all subjective though. From what I can tell though, the most improved controller is still easily the DS4.

What? Rumble on triggers adding more depth? That's some Dhalsim level of stretching.

Yes, as in feeling the lock up on the brake trigger in a driving game.

Or being able to feel directional feedback (front left/front right/rear left/rear right).

Feeling the different types of gun kick in FPS games.

Being able to isolate those intricate details to separate rumble motors that feed directly into the pads of your fingers without losing clarity from the general motors.

Yes, depth.

Microsoft's 300,000 server Xbox Live Cloud is a subset of Microsoft's Azure platform. The part reserved for Xbox Live is called Thunderhead, which can only be used for Xbox One - not PC or even Xbox 360.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ted-servers-on-playstation-xbox-360-and-wii-u

It doesn't sound like it's the same thing.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Yes, as in feeling the lock up on the brake trigger in a driving game.

Or being able to feel direction feedback (front left/front right/rear left/rear right).

Feeling the different types of gun kick in FPS games.

Yes, depth.

None if those things are adding depth though. All of your examples are forms of force feedback which the rumble triggers are not capable of. They are no different then the same rumble we've always had. So no.

Steroyd

PS4 wins cloud?

Tmeptation to buy magazine rising...

They're likely ranking the controllers based on tech, not personal feel.

The rumble triggers in the XB1 controller will likely add depth to games easier than the touch pad on the DS4.

I think it's based on personal feel, touch can add something to games, in terms of input and out of gaming features, like a touchpad mouse for the web browser/virtual keyboard, if it really was based on tech, the DS4 should really win.

Your quote shows that thunderhead is a subset of Azure.

sub·set [suhb-set] Show IPA

noun

a set that is a part of a larger set.

Mathematics . a set consisting of elements of a given set that can be the same as the given set or smaller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1900–05; sub- + set

Thunderhead is therefore a part of Azure reserved for xbox usage using your quote.

Z3M0G

Would be hard to beat PS4 "Second Screen Experience" with Vita in the mix, I realize...

But "Cloud Tech" too? Oh my... nobody would have seen that coming.

PaulLFC

Interested to see the justification for media and social services going to XB1 over PS4 - for starters, you don't need PS+ for them on PS4 whereas most (all?) are Gold only on XB1.

Interested to see the justification for media and social services going to XB1 over PS4 - for starters, you don't need PS+ for them on PS4 whereas most (all?) are Gold only on XB1.

That's a matter of price. They're reviewing the services on their abilities and breadth.

Top Bottom