• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #266 cover: Can MS turn things around for XONE?

This sums it up pretty well.
ricky_bobby.jpg

In a two-
three
-console next-gen contender race, that's pretty much true.

Alx

Elsewhere, Spencer also promises new Xbox One exclusives, suggesting that E3 2014 will be “great… a real moment for us in this generation.”

“I run first party studios, so I’m all about exclusives,” he says.

Is Phil Spencer still in charge with the first party studios, in addition with supervising the whole Xbox division, or was that quote before he got promoted ?

kyser73

Outside of the USUK markets it's dead, and even in those markets it's only gaining sales by aggressive retailer-led price cuts and has seen the 360s marketshare lead removed/reducted (pending NPDs in NA).

I see no issue... er problem.

Is there a database of covers to show what was printed during the PS3 launch? If they painted that all rosy, then Edge is the one needing help.

I'm starting to think that Edge might not like the Xb1

EDGE trying their best to pollute their own reputation with questionable agendas

Lol at accussations of Edge being PS biased.

EDGEcov136.jpg

edged.jpg

edge-177-nwf.jpg

People need to stop crying, Edge has always been making controversial covers, they don't have a PS biased agenda lmao.

TomShoe

Banned

Here's one with text for people who don't understand the reference:

While that's true the Xbox is selling well, because Sony's doing much better, it's being assumed that the Xbox One is failing. Sales are competitive for the US (fairly even) and the UK (PS4 somewhat ahead), which is a bad sign for Microsoft. They need to have strong control over both of those territories like in the last generation, as Sony dominates the rest of Europe and Japan.

What needs to be turned around? Am I missing something here? It's not exactly a "failure", right?
It's not even outselling the PS4 in the US, not to mention Europe, whereas the 360 outsold the PS3 in several territories. I'd say it's a failure when compared to the 360, and its main competitor, the PS4. The sales drop off since December is pretty horrible too.

Xbox might always trail ps4 this gen but so long as the gap isn't huge I don't see how's that's bad for ms , that said I'm all for panick mode ms as it means they usually get good exclusives or in recent times massively improve the os.

Perfectly happy with my decision to buy a one and if I had the choice today based purely on games , ms still wins for me . When making my decision a large part of it was the fact I just like ms exclusives more then ps4 .

Paskil

I think it's funny that people think this magazine has some sort of bias. They have shit all over the big three, at different points. WiiU is already getting shit on everywhere. It's time for XB1. Anyway, the quoted text in the OP (haven't read the article yet) seems to be largely positive and a look forward rather than a rehash of everything that has gone wrong for them to date.

Relax, console warriors. It gets better.

Maybe if:

- they get amazing exlusives
- that really use the hardware to its fullest potential
- and if they sell the box without mofo Kinect.

I kinda think Sony has this gen in the pocket. And with more exclusives on the WiiU, i think people might choose the WiiU as second console. Yeah...
In Europe, they are toast

I read that as Elph straight away and was like eh?

Man these gens a changing, didn't see a ps3 cover back in the day with a headline so cutting, even when it was an overpriced train wreck.

This will be the part when someone posts a picture of edge doing exactly that years ago..

Lol, EDGE bias!

I've heard that for a long time, heard they're biased for/against Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft and a bunch of various publishers.

Or maybe they publish relevant stories, and this article has interviews with the top men in the Xbox division it's hardly going to be negative.

Ape

Banned
Xbox might always trail ps4 this gen but so long as the gap isn't huge I don't see how's that's bad for ms , that said I'm all for panick mode ms as it means they usually get good exclusives or in recent times massively improve the os.

Perfectly happy with my decision to buy a one and if I had the choice today based purely on games , ms still wins for me . When making my decision a large part of it was the fact I just like ms exclusives more then ps4 .

Uh-oh. You and Hyb have the same avatar! Basically.

Same for me. If Sony gives me a reason go buy a PS4, I'll buy one. Until then I won't.

“We’re always trying to match what consumers are asking for,” he says. “I always want to make sure that we’re in tune with what current or potential customers are asking for from us. Right now, [dropping Kinect is] not the number one request from people. Usually it’s, ‘Where are the great games?’”

That might be true, but Kinect is tied to the console's high price, and I imagine dropping the price of the console would be very high on the list of requests.

One prominent Xbox One owner and former Microsoft employee sees Kinect rather differently, however. “I actually wish Kinect wasn’t a requirement,” 22cans’ Peter Molyneux tells us. “It feels like an unnecessary add-on to me. Maybe it’s because we’re in England, and it doesn’t really use the TV stuff, but it feels more and more like a joke. My son and I sit there saying random things at it, and it doesn’t work. They could cost-reduce it [by removing Kinect]. I’m sure they’re going to release an Xbox One without Kinect. It would be unthinkable that they wouldn’t.”

Oh fuck off Molyneux, you goddamn hypocrite. You were one of the biggest proponents (and liars) about Kinect 1.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That might be true, but Kinect is tied to the console's high price, and I imagine dropping the price of the console would be very high on the list of requests.

Oh fuck off Molyneux, you goddamn hypocrite. You were one of the biggest proponents (and liars) about Kinect 1.

I won't hold molyneux having a come to Jesus moment against him. :)

And yeah everyone please behave. Watching you (like Kinect and the NSA)

Dead would be WiiU not XB1, it's doing okay right now. Considering it's going up against PS4 which has a good strong userbase in Europe, cheaper price and no negative press ..

If by doing okay, you mean being stomped across all mainland Europe, sure.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
What is it with the negativity around the Xbox One, the console is selling very well, just not as well as the PS4.
The thing is that we don't know. Microsoft has not updated their global sales figures after beginning of January. Back then they had shipped 3.9M and sold through "more than 3 million".

If you drew a graph illustrating the monthly worldwide sales of Xbox One, you might not say that it is selling very well.

Dead would be WiiU not XB1, it's doing okay right now.
Is Xbox selling better than Wii U, though?

TomShoe

Banned
I can't help but wonder if the number of multiple console owners will decrease during this gen. It doesn't really make much financial sense to buy both, only if you really want exclusives for both. Paying $400+ including $50+ for XBLG/PS+ for a console that's going to be an exclusives machine, the value proposition goes way down after the first one, unless it's a Wii U.

Lol what?

Ahhhh, that explains the one sided opinion.

The Xbox brand isn't necessarily dead, but PlayStation owns the majority of Europe, and is ahead in the UK as well.

JimiNutz

Banned
Maybe the cover is just a direct response to the OTT fanboys (some of which unfortunately reside on this forum) that actually believe that the X1 is a failure and doomed.

MS suffered heavily for their poor PR and early decisions but they're at least quick to learn from their mistakes which is somewhat encouraging.

Hope it's not just all talk though....

It being 300k behind means its a failure? They're definitely still in the running.

It's almost 50% behind worldwide, IIRC. The US is still only country in which its even close, and that's with the PS4 consistently being sold out, though the stock situation is better now.

Hyb

Banned
I edited my post to use what I feel is a better argument.

The doesn't explain why the PS4 is selling more, while still selling out. ;-)

No. But its abit difficult to sell out the Xbox One when its only released in 13 countries compared to the over 40 for the PS4. Meaning its in stock doesnt mean its bad. :)

Prine

Banned
I edited my post to use what I feel is a better argument.

The doesn't explain why the PS4 is selling more, while still selling out. ;-)

Still hyperbolic. And you've made a false statement, its currently pacing better then 360 during the same period.

It's almost 50% behind worldwide, IIRC. The US is still only country in which its even close, and that's with the PS4 consistently being sold out, though the stock situation is better now.

Your moving goal posts now, you said US initially. Still out of the markets its released in, its doing decent in 360 strongholds, and poor in markets MS always struggled in. That still doesnt mean its a failure. Spain, France, Germany have always preferred Sony brand.

The_Monk

EDGE is a magazine from Europe so they write based on how the European market currently is for the Xbox One. Many GAFfers need to understand that the Xbox One released only in 13 countries. Is the console doing fine? Perhaps in the US but some people need to understand how different countries and a different culture can influence on buying a product.

For many countries in Europe, Xbox One is yet to be released this year, (coming in September) so not much can be "fine" for them in a country that is not supported by Microsoft. Right? In order for them to be successful in a country they should always start by giving them the chance to buy their product. On the other European countries that got the Xbox One Day One they also got the Playstation 4. While not every consumer selected the PS4 among the XB1 in those European countries it sure is obvious that most of Europe tends to be more Sony focused just like the US tends to be more Microsoft centred. I can't wait for the Xbox One to be released in here, not saying I'm going to get it day One because I'm not a fan to own a Kinect (again) since I have no intention to use but if I end up having one, I hope I can buy it separately just like I can do it with the PS Camera. It's all about the consumer choice for me and this is how I make my decisions: I vote with my wallet.

We need to understand cultural differences and we need to understand that EDGE magazine is not a US Magazine so they might be reflecting a more European audience. Make a post saying "meh" and running away add nothing to the discussion and I would like if we could discuss more about how Microsoft will release this console in September or how can culture affect a company. Anything goes actually, as long we keep a proper and polite discussion.

Jack cw

Dead would be WiiU not XB1, it's doing okay right now. Considering it's going up against PS4 which has a good strong userbase in Europe, cheaper price and no negative press ..

OK? It sells less than PS3 on average a month in mainland Europe.

Miles X

If by doing okay, you mean being stomped across all mainland Europe, sure.

I mean by selling a decent amount that has nothing to do with how PS4 is selling, it's not always a war you know. Your basic argument is that if XB1 sold 1m in a week in the UK but PS4 sold 5m, XB1 would be doing crap. Get a perspective.

OK? It sells less than PS3 on average a month in mainland Europe.

Again with the comparing, look at the overall picture, how are XB1 sales in Europe compared to 360? I mean if you want to compare anything. It's never going to live up to playstation in Europe, doesn't mean it can't do well.

Top Bottom