• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #279 Cover: Splatoon.

Neff

This is perfectly said. Y2kev said it has reinvigorated his love for gaming and that is exactly how I feel. This medium when done right is truly magical and its been a long time since I have had those feelings.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's been a good year or so since I've been able to sit in front of a game for hours at a time with it demanding my total attention.

Can't say I care about no voice chat.

If I'm playing with randoms I don't want to talk to them, if I'm playing with friends I have my laptop next to me for skype anyway.

Not to turn this whole thread into a Splatoon voice chat debate but why should we have to use skype when Nintendo could be like every other modern video game company and provide parental controls? Like I've said before, not being able to talk to randoms doesn't bother me, but not allowing friends to chat in a team based arena shooter seems silly.

I'm not really sure I understand what Splatoon sales have to do with EDGE magazine. You guys pointing out that it will bomb may want to explain the relevance of that to me.

This would be a pretty boring thread if people were only allowed to post their opinion on the cover art. Lighten up.

US. Maybe it's because I'm pessimistic but really don't see this selling well on Wii U. Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, and Wonderful 101 were also great looking games and they bombed so I don't have much hopes for this. Even DKC TF underperformed, though it did much better than the other three I mentioned.
I son't expect much better from Europe and Japan, either.
first month NPD sales:

Pikmin 3-115k
Captain Toad-250k+
Wonderful 101-lol
Tropical Freeze-130k

???

(it had better legs sure, but you're talking about first month sales)
If they say that only ppl who have a wii u are going to buy this game, then that already says that it's going to to sell almost like smash or mario kart. He'll every nintendo fan wants this game. That garruntee a it's not gonna bomb

what does this post even mean

Fandangox

what does this post even mean

I think is saying that the audience for this game would overlap a lot with Smash/Mario kart, so it would have similar legs at least. We will see, I don't think it will as well as those two, but I don't really think its gonna bomb either.

I think is saying that the audience for this game would overlap a lot with Smash/Mario kart, so it would have similar legs at least. We will see, I don't think it will as well as those two, but I don't really think its gonna bomb either.

I can't see it bombing either but I'm skeptical about the game having Smash/Kart legs considering that it's a new IP on a struggling console. I think word of mouth will be the deciding factor here; hopefully a lot of kids pick it up and play all summer break with their friends.

Yeah. Nintendo's forays into anything that involved online has been consistently terrible, and at best a generation behind the competition, so far.

Mario Kart always has been smooth online with next to no issues.

Plus, they aren't talking about party systems and chat and talking, they are talking about the essence of the game and how it plays.

ScOULaris

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - 5
Titan Souls - 5

Jeepers Creepers.

And then, as great as Bloodborne is, it gets a perfect 10 from a traditionally harsh publication despite all of its technical flaws (framerate, glitches, matchmaking issues... etc.).

This is perfectly said. Y2kev said it has reinvigorated his love for gaming and that is exactly how I feel. This medium when done right is truly magical and its been a long time since I have had those feelings.

Bloodborne is one of the rare non-Nintendo games that did this to me.

NEO0MJ

first month NPD sales:

Pikmin 3-115k
Captain Toad-250k+
Wonderful 101-lol
Tropical Freeze-130k

???

(it had better legs sure, but you're talking about first month sales)

Oh, I thought Tropical Freeze did like 220k or so while Captain Toad did 90k.

xrnzaaas

They should burn in hell for giving HM2 a 5. ;) I mean I understand that the game wasn't so well received by some people (especially the storyline and how it's handled), but it doesn't deserve such a low score.

Jeepers Creepers.

And then, as great as Bloodborne is, it gets a perfect 10 from a traditionally harsh publication despite all of its technical flaws (framerate, glitches, matchmaking issues... etc.).

You should at least read the reviews maybe it will give you the reason why it got a 10

andymcc

Banned

lots of games with technical issues have received an EDGE 10/10.

it's not a big deal.

george_us

I feel it in measured doses for sure but not like this. Unfortunately.
Exactly how I felt about Bloodborne. It's been YEARS since a game hooked me like BB did. I'm talking 8 hours sessions as soon as I got home from work and 12 hour sessions on the week. No matter how far I got, I always wanted to see was next. The game really has a sense of discovery like no other. As cliché as it is, BB reminded me why I started gaming nearly 25 years ago.

Axass

Great cover. I think a cover should make the magazine stand out between a sea of other publications, this one is very particular and unique, so it definitely does the job.

That said I also love the idea and final design, not everything has to be "main characters in cool pose".

Will it be so much?.I am thinking it will be nearer to 1 year.I see it like a feasible wii sports like powerhouse launch game in order to appeal wider audiences.

Delaying a game ready to ship for more than a year so that it launches with a new system... hmmmm, ok.

Nozem

Aww I was so looking forward to Titan Souls. Granted I've only seen a trailer but it looked really cool.

That said, I'm having a total blast with Hotline Miami 2 (also a 5) so who knows.

Exile20

No party chat or in game chat for a lot of their big titles in 2015 means, imo, their online is STILL not up to scratch. I don't see what was wrong with his post.

They are all design decisions, nothing to do with their capability. You might disagree with their philosophy but there you go. We had full voice chat in MH3U also.

Toxi

Banned
They should burn in hell for giving HM2 a 5. ;) I mean I understand that the game wasn't so well received by some people (especially the storyline and how it's handled), but it doesn't deserve such a low score.
Have you read the review?

FFS people, read the review before complaining about the number at the end of it. Otherwise you're just complaining about a random number with no context.

pvpness

I like the cover, but I really like orange. This thread taught me that Splatoon won't have voice chat online, confirmed. I was really looking forward to it too, but that's a show-stopper. Pity.

Mr. Sam

I like the cover, but I really like orange. This thread taught me that Splatoon won't have voice chat online, confirmed. I was really looking forward to it too, but that's a show-stopper. Pity.

I'm tempted to reference The Princess Bride. Instead: that's not what "show-stopper" means - it means something akin to "grand finale" (i.e. something really good). I think you're thinking of something like "deal-breaker."

They are all design decisions, nothing to do with their capability. You might disagree with their philosophy but there you go. We had full voice chat in MH3U also.

So what if its a design decision? That doesn't mean it's not ass backwards. Rumble wasn't included in the original Dualshock 3 as a design decision, does that make it okay?

I shouldn't have to feel like my online experience is stunted because of Nintendo's laziness. Why should I have to go on Skype to chat to my friends in game on Mario Kart or Smash Bros online? Whatyearisit.jpg

I am waiting for my go to MP game this gen.

Plants vs Zombies was praised here, it is not bad, but not great either.
TLOUR MP is great

Splatoon, Star Wars BF and R6Siege are my other options, Payday 2 could also be there.

Not enough time, it is going to be tough to decide but Splatoon comes first so I will probably grab that.

eot

Banned
Bloodborne is really good but i still think it suffers from a little inconsistency in level design - like all previous souls games. There are a couple of levels i didnt like and i definitely wont be playing through the game again because of them (Like Blighttown and the sewers in dark souls and levels like that)

The 9s are perfectly fine, i can see why they give it a 10 though.

Little shocked by the hotline miami and ori scores, thought they would be higher?

I think Bloodborne has some issues but its level design is the most consistent out of all the Souls games. The 10 is probably deserved even though overall it's not From's best game.

MavFan619

Banned
Jeepers Creepers.

At worst Bloodborne with its technical flaws is a 9.9 :p

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
splatoon has loads of amazing art, i'm pretty disappointed they went with something that showcases none of it.

for me, it's an interesting new take on a shooter done by a company that never does shooters, with a great art style that has a good share of humor mixed in. Awesome music, plus it simply looks really fun to play.

It looks like a wonderfully fresh take on the shooter genre in that crazy colorful non-violent Nintendo style.

EG did a good preview of it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ade-the-most-exciting-online-shooter-in-years

To put it shortly, it's aiming to become the Mario Kart of FPS. It revolves about paint; paint can kill the members of the other team, can stain surfaces for points and to create safe zones for members to respawn and, the most interesting feature, characters can turn into squids and "dive" through the paint of their team. This offers a new way of tackling traditional shooting situations as you can climb walls, wall jump out of paint, cut enemies escape by throwing paint over theirs, etc.

There's also the fresh, bright and urban style and a single player campaing that takes advantage of these mechanics.

From a mechanics point of view it's interesting that the frenzy shooting is directly linked (through the ink) to territory (the team who paint more surface wins) and movement (when in squid form you can travel much faster and reach spots otherwise unreachable) management.

The single player mode (hero mode) reminds me of a platform game like Super Mario Sunshine (with the FLUDD) just without the skill to jump (you use the squid form).

Thanks. Looks like the mechanics are going to be quite fun. However I'm not a fan of the "Inklings" look, would probably look better if they were more Jet Set Radio-y. Right now they make me think of a early Dreamworks, direct to video type of look.

ghibli99

I'm tempted to reference The Princess Bride. Instead: that's not what "show-stopper" means - it means something akin to "grand finale" (i.e. something really good). I think you're thinking of something like "deal-breaker."
Showstoppers in the gaming industry itself are issues/bugs that prevent a game from shipping, so it's a bad thing from that perspective. But you're right, too. :)

Scoops

Banned
Oh, I thought Tropical Freeze did like 220k or so while Captain Toad did 90k.

Captain Toad actually did quite well for a puzzle game. Holiday season + $40 price point + EAD Tokyo + post-Mario Kart 8/Smash larger install base + everyone loved the Toad levels in 3D World. It was an easy cash in for Nintendo.

Surprised we never got DLC tbh.

miksar

No what? The game will have bad sales. The looks great but who does it appeal to?

Not the average EDGE reader thats for sure
The average Edge reader is probably someone working in the gaming industry or a big gaming enthusiast, so they probably care more about what's inside the magazine than the cover.

Top Bottom