• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #279 Cover: Splatoon.

Seems a little harsh towards Hotline Miami 2, but excited to give this a read none the less. Not even slightly surprised at that Bloodborne score, not after they talked it up the way they did last month,

Also, that cover is so bad it's great.

Yeah, that score is complete nonsense. HM2 is a masterpiece.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Bloodborne is one of those rare games that gives you perspective on genuine quality.
Yeah. I haven't felt this since Demon's.

Kyoufu

I'm not really sure I understand what Splatoon sales have to do with EDGE magazine. You guys pointing out that it will bomb may want to explain the relevance of that to me.

HM2 score is justified. It is basically a continuation from the end of the old game, and rushes to the intense harder enemy filled sections far too soon, without letting players mess around in the lesser populationed areas first and have fun. Really turned into a chore much eariler than I wanted it to.

Congratulations to From Software.

Features
Splatoon
Collected Works: Yoshinori Ono
Space Inventors, the story of GameCity's National Videogame Arcade
Hunger Games, on survival games
The Making Of... DmC: Devil May Cry
Studio Profile: Frictional Games
Time Extend: Okami

Reviews
Battlefield Hardline [7]
Bloodborne [10]
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number [5]
Ori and the Blind Forest [7]
Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush [8]
Axiom Verge [8]
Titan Souls [5]

Previews
Final Fantasy XV
Firewatch
Hunger
The Flame in the Hood
The Swindle
Thumper

#280 on sale May 7th. Hint is white page with 6 thin black lines.

Hotline Miami 2 was a hit or miss game but it definitely had some high highs for me. Considering the original got a 9 I think this is a little unfair. But whatever. I'm probably getting Titan Souls despite the 5. I don''t like the cover either but those stupid consumers love bright colours. Will probably sellat least 10 extra copies than the playful Sunset Overdrive cover.
who cares about the cover picture, the game is going to tank sales wise anyways.

But that 10/10 bloodborne score.....holy shit
All I read is ultra rare Splatoon Amiibos.
Their worst cover in recent memory.
Worst since that shitty gold pink and blue Zelda cover.

Mafro

Is Hotline Miami 2 that much worse than 1? I loved Hotline Miami, but I've heard lukewarm things about 2 and have kinda skipped it because.
It's worse but not 4 points worse (they gave HM1 a 9 I think), it just seems like one of Edge's "got out of the wrong side of bed that day" scores. The level design isn't as good as the first game, mainly they are much more open and they've added a lot more windows and enemies with guns which results in too many deaths from people off screen. That seems to be the main complaint from pretty much everybody that's played it but I'm struggling to see how it's worth a 5. As a massive fan of the first game (it's probably on my top ten of all time list) I was disappointed by some of the odd design decisions the developers made, but it's still a fantastic game, probably would have scored it an 8 myself. The story is better than pretty much every AAA game I've played in the last few years, and the way it links in with the first game is pretty cool. Soundtrack is phenomenal too, a lot better than the first game.

Scrawnton

Regardless of what people think of the cover, it demands attention and makes you wonder what it is, which is exactly what splatoon needs.

It's worse but not 4 points worse (they gave HM1 a 9 I think), it just seems like one of Edge's "got out of the wrong side of bed that day" scores. The level design isn't as good as the first game, mainly they are much more open and they've added a lot more windows and enemies with guns which results in too many deaths from people off screen.

Well that seems pretty damning, like platform games that rely on leaps of faith and blind luck rather than skill.

Something about HM puts me off, I've tried so many times with the game, but the whole aesthetic makes me queasy to the point where I don't want to play it. It's not the gore, or the seediness that puts me off - it's something more intangible. Strangely, Everyday Shooter is the only other game that has affected me this way.

Nibel

who cares about the cover picture, the game is going to tank sales wise anyways.

But that 10/10 bloodborne score.....holy shit

You know, the hyperbole posts about the cover are one thing, but connecting a magazine cover to game sales truly takes the cake here. Embarrassing shit right here.

Looks nice.

Stupid sexy Flanders

image.php

Mafro

Well that seems pretty damning, like platform games that rely on leaps of faith and blind luck rather than skill.

Something about HM puts me off, I've tried so many times with the game, but the whole aesthetic makes me queasy to the point where I don't want to play it. It's not the gore, or the seediness that puts me off - it's something more intangible. Strangely, Everyday Shooter is the only other game that has affected me this way.
It's not like that in every level of the game, but there's enough of it to become very annoying. I also forgot to mention masks and their abilities being tied to specific characters now. In HM1 you could choose any mask on any level whereas in this you're forced to use certain characters and their related skills on each level.

You know, the hyperbole posts about the cover are one thing, but connecting a magazine cover to game sales truly takes the cake here. Embarrassing shit right here.

I never said that sales of the game were related to the cover of a magazine

I was stating my opinion of how the game will sell.

Bloodborne is one of those rare games that gives you perspective on genuine quality.

This is perfectly said. Y2kev said it has reinvigorated his love for gaming and that is exactly how I feel. This medium when done right is truly magical and its been a long time since I have had those feelings.

Circinus

very very surprised they didn't go with a messier ink splotch motif for the cover

It's something you'd have to actually play in person to understand the hype. It's tactical chaos, where there are no wrong actions.
Spraying ink indescriminately is valid, kiting enemies around their own territory is valid, killing enemies is valid, creating paths via covering fire for your allies is valid, holding a crucial hotspot so allies can warp to it directly is valid. It's a shooter that has nothing to do with accuracy or kills, and everything to do with intelligently reading the situation.

Thanks for the explanation. It definitely sounds promising.

I agree I shouldn't judge games too much that I haven't played.

HM2 score is justified. It is basically a continuation from the end of the old game, and rushes to the intense harder enemy filled sections far too soon, without letting players mess around in the lesser populationed areas first and have fun. Really turned into a chore much eariler than I wanted it to.

I agree. I can see why they would give HM a 9 (brilliant game) and HM2 a 5 (haven't summoned up the willpower to finish it)

Shawn6661

Maybe the 5 for Hotline Miami 2 is the wrong number ?

Also, i need bloodborne so bad but cant justify to buy a ps4 for it alone....or can I ?

Blunoise

I'm not really sure I understand what Splatoon sales have to do with EDGE magazine. You guys pointing out that it will bomb may want to explain the relevance of that to me.

If they say that only ppl who have a wii u are going to buy this game, then that already says that it's going to to sell almost like smash or mario kart. He'll every nintendo fan wants this game. That garruntee a it's not gonna bomb

The Titan Souls review is pretty damning. It paints the game's setting as by the numbers. It admires the developer's dedication to the concept but ultimately dislikes the one hit kill formula. "Team ICO's barren world worked because you knew that somewhere over the next hill lay a set-piece of epic drama, not a fight that ends in a heartbeat after it has begun"

Mr. Sam

Put me on the side that loves the cover and is really looking forward to Splatoon.

The score for Hotline Miami 2 does seem very harsh - I'll be interested to see how they justify it.

I'm a subscriber so, fingers crossed, my copy should be waiting at home for me.

massoluk

Banned
Nintendo (re)inventing anything multiplayer related is laughable at best, probably the worst Edge cover story in years.

EDIT: Also, Hotline Miami score = Creditibility 0

What the hell... Are you seriously dissing Nintendo ability to do multiplayer game?

Congratulations to From Software.

Features
Splatoon
Collected Works: Yoshinori Ono
Space Inventors, the story of GameCity's National Videogame Arcade
Hunger Games, on survival games
The Making Of... DmC: Devil May Cry
Studio Profile: Frictional Games
Time Extend: Okami

Ooh, I'd like to read this. I bet the devs sure have some stories to tell.

baconcow

Why do I not hate this cover as much as everyone else? I like the minimalist approach to things, instead of the common fill the cover with too much junk approach.

Mr. Sam

Why do I not hate this cover as much as everyone else? I like the minimalist approach to things, instead of the common fill the cover with too much junk approach.

It seems more divisive than anything - it's literally been called the worst cover ever and the best cover ever multiple times in this thread.

massoluk

Banned
Well, I'm indifferent to the cover. I'm all for minimalism, but then again Splatoon is a very colorful and chaotic game that going minimalism style probably do a disservice to it.

KZObsessed

10/10 for Bloodborne is well deserved. I'm at the end now and I don't think there's one part of the game I haven't loved. Haven't played a game so consistently well designed since Demon's Souls.

NotLiquid

The whole "can't unsee butt" thing or whatever that people claim to be seeing is something I really struggle to have to see. I almost feel like people are looking too hard into things that aren't there.

Then again I'm probably biased on that front as I love the game so much that I already feel like the squids have that distinct and iconic Nintendo look to them.

Thing for me is that it says nothing about the game unless you're already aware of the game. I appreciate that a magazine isn't a place to explain your game but there's so much interesting and unique about that game this cover expresses none of it.

I read the Hotline Miami 2, and I can't disagree with much of it. I think the reviewer fails to see any of the positive game play changes. But does highlight exactly why Hotline Miami was a better game: improvisation. In the latter levels I struggled with doors, bad hit detection and AI that has memory loss.

Fandangox

Sorry for the ignorance, but can somebody explain to me the Splatoon hype? Not trying to be snarky, genuine curiosity.

Basically is a shooter that emphasizes on area control, and gives far more importance to the ammunition than scoring kills. With the ammo (Ink) you can slow enemy movement, speed up yours, reload your own ammo with splattered ink, hide inside the splattered ink.

Mechanically speaking seems like its going to be really interesting.

10/10 for Bloodborne is well deserved. I'm at the end now and I don't think there's one part of the game I haven't loved. Haven't played a game so consistently well designed since Demon's Souls.

This has already taken top spot as my fav game this gen and I've never played the previous souls games before. I feel like I haven't even scratched the surface yet and I'm always discovering new things all the time.

Top Bottom