• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #279 Cover: Splatoon.

Prine

Banned
Hmm boring issue, terrible cover. BB a 10 is surprising, regardless how great the game is, they recently handed a 10 to Bayo 2 so based on that I thought they'd withhold it. Still, well done to From.

Shaanyboi

Banned
That cover is striking, but doesn't really remind or inform about the game at all. You don't look at it and go "oh that looks fun."

Nintendo (re)inventing anything multiplayer related is laughable at best, probably the worst Edge cover story in years.

EDIT: Also, Hotline Miami score = Creditibility 0

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry for the ignorance, but can somebody explain to me the Splatoon hype? Not trying to be snarky, genuine curiosity.

bounchfx

splatoon has loads of amazing art, i'm pretty disappointed they went with something that showcases none of it.

Sorry for the ignorance, but can somebody explain to me the Splatoon hype? Not trying to be snarky, genuine curiosity.

for me, it's an interesting new take on a shooter done by a company that never does shooters, with a great art style that has a good share of humor mixed in. Awesome music, plus it simply looks really fun to play.

It looks like a wonderfully fresh take on the shooter genre in that crazy colorful non-violent Nintendo style.

EG did a good preview of it:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ade-the-most-exciting-online-shooter-in-years

Its characterful approach to shooting reminds me of another less celebrated Sega game of that time, too - AM2's Outtrigger, a competitive arena game that took the action of shooters like Quake and filtered them through Sega's arcade sensibilities. Splatoon feels like the contemporary shooter as filtered through Nintendo's own sensibilities, benefitting from the company's exquisite attention to detail and lateral approach to design. It all makes for what's quite possibly the most exciting shooter there's been in an age.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That cover is striking, but doesn't really remind or inform about the game at all. You don't look at it and go "oh that looks fun."

The cover is suppose to grab your attention and make you open the magazine to see what its about, what are you guys criteria for covers? o_O

GenG3000

To put it shortly, it's aiming to become the Mario Kart of FPS. It revolves about paint; paint can kill the members of the other team, can stain surfaces for points and to create safe zones for members to respawn and, the most interesting feature, characters can turn into squids and "dive" through the paint of their team. This offers a new way of tackling traditional shooting situations as you can climb walls, wall jump out of paint, cut enemies escape by throwing paint over theirs, etc.

There's also the fresh, bright and urban style and a single player campaing that takes advantage of these mechanics.

herod

I don't really see Nintendo reinventing the shooter so much as continuing from the glory days of Quake before war shooters came along, slowed everything down and ruined the immediacy.

Celine

From a mechanics point of view it's interesting that the frenzy shooting is directly linked (through the ink) to territory (the team who paint more surface wins) and movement (when in squid form you can travel much faster and reach spots otherwise unreachable) management.

The single player mode (hero mode) reminds me of a platform game like Super Mario Sunshine (with the FLUDD) just without the skill to jump (you use the squid form).

Khrno

As excited as I am for this game, I doubt it will crack 150k in its first month.

Can you explain yourself better please?

150k where? In Europe, the US, Japan, Worldwide?

Be more specific with your predictions please, since it can be very reasonable or extremely laughable without knowing the right context.

NEO0MJ

Can you explain yourself better please?

150k where? In Europe, the US, Japan, Worldwide?

Be more specific with your predictions please, since it can be very reasonable or extremely laughable without knowing the right context.

US. Maybe it's because I'm pessimistic but really don't see this selling well on Wii U. Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, and Wonderful 101 were also great looking games and they bombed so I don't have much hopes for this. Even DKC TF underperformed, though it did much better than the other three I mentioned.
I son't expect much better from Europe and Japan, either.

Huggers

Will grab this tomorrow. Bloodborne getting a 10 is predictable and bang on the money. Also. What is Edge's obsession with having 're-inventing' on their cover as part of a tagline? Great mag but they do love a perceived 're-invention'!

That is a nasty ass cover It looks so toxic it should come with a radiation warning.

They did say they called the printers to see if they could get them the orangiest of orange. They didn't say they get print supplies from Sellafield/Kia-Ora, but who knows.

Splatoon looks great, but it's a multiplayer shooter and I'm never in the market for those, so I can't see me buying this - unless the single-player portion is something beyond 'bot wars'.

Striek

They did say they called the printers to see if they could get them the orangiest of orange. They didn't say they get print supplies from Sellafield/Kia-Ora, but who knows.

Splatoon looks great, but it's a multiplayer shooter and I'm never in the market for those, so I can't see me buying this - unless the single-player portion is something beyond 'bot wars'.
I'm more interested in Splatoon for its single player tbh, it looked pretty good and had an adventure mode not just bots. I don't think the multiplayer looked special at all OTOH.

Khrno

US. Maybe it's because I'm pessimistic but really don't see this selling well on Wii U. Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, and Wonderful 101 were also great looking games and they bombed so I don't have much hopes for this. Even DKC TF underperformed, though it did much better than the other three I mentioned.
I son't expect much better from Europe and Japan, either.

Completely understandable, specially considering that the game releases on May 29, so it'll have 3 days of sales towards NPD, but I can see this game selling thanks to word of mouth, reviews and impressions. So even if it doesn't reach MK/SMB levels, it can still appeal to that same crowd of competitive players in Nintendo games.

I can see the game reaching 1M worldwide LTD at least, it could take the rest of the Wii U life, but it will reach it and get an eventual sequel on NX or so.

HeavyMachineGun

Neo Member
Seems a little harsh towards Hotline Miami 2, but excited to give this a read none the less. Not even slightly surprised at that Bloodborne score, not after they talked it up the way they did last month,

Also, that cover is so bad it's great.

Top Bottom