• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE #279 Cover: Splatoon.

Omikaru

Not surprised that Hotline Miami 2 got 5/10. I can't say it's a terrible game, but it was not particularly good, either.

Edge use the full scale, and 5/10 is decidedly mediocre. I bought HM2 thinking, "Yeah! Gonna get some new levels for Hotline Miami 1!" No. Just, no. Instead we got cheap ass enemy AI, spray and pray gunplay, and atrocious level design. This is, of course, peppered with some amazing moments that balances out, but I can't say I enjoyed my time with the game. Really, what an unfortunate sequel. Mediocre indeed.

At any rate, there's some goodness for me on the horizon, should Edge's scores be gospel (or, at least, an accurate representation of how much I'll enjoy a game): my copy of Bloodborne is on its way, plus I'll be grabbing Axiom Verge and Ori and the Blind Forest soon enough.

That said, I'm curious as to why Titan Souls got a 5. The game looked quite interesting!

What is the online player count for Splatoon? 4v4? Also, have we gotten any word on voice chat? I'm not expecting it but I would appreciate the option, at least with friends. We could get a nice little neogaf clan going...

Exile20

What is the online player count for Splatoon? 4v4? Also, have we gotten any word on voice chat? I'm not expecting it but I would appreciate the option, at least with friends. We could get a nice little neogaf clan going...

Yup 4 v 4 online and 1 v 1 offline. No voice chat

GWX

No voice chat is a bummer but I'll live...on 360 I would generally mute the other players anyway. I wonder if we'll get gestures/text options like Smash, any idea if that will be included?

There are quick messages that you can send to your team using the d-pad. I wonder if they are customisable, though.

RichardKSJ

Splatoon, Break The Internet.

Gold Star for whoever photoshops this

bti_by_richardksj-d8ov1zu.png

Best I could do without drawing my own art or spending too much time.

I mean they could just have it opt-in locked behind parental controls....

Or at least let you talk to people on your friend's list

You know, Nintendo, the friend's list? The thing you built into the console OS but barely interacts with any game you've made?

J@hranimo

Banned
I see what they did with the cover.

It's simple, yet bold. Striking and is in your face. I like the concept
but I hate the color orange, and that's my problem lol

Also Ono calls SF5 a revival? ok.

Wow 10/10 for BB is kinda shocking, Edge knows what's up.

They're huge fans of the Souls games

Demon's Souls - 9
Dark Souls - 9
Dark Souls 2 - 9

Dark Souls was one of the seven games that they went back and gave awarded a 10 to in their 20th Anniversary Issue. It was also their choice for best game of the generation.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Or at least let you talk to people on your friend's list

You know, Nintendo, the friend's list? The thing you built into the console OS but barely interacts with any game you've made?

Yeah, that too. I don't understand why Nintendo just doesn't have it built in to the system and have it opted out by default where you have to opt in.

Lol that cover does look like a buttcheek. But seriously couldn't they have just used the main characters for the cover instead of that?

Bloodborne is really good but i still think it suffers from a little inconsistency in level design - like all previous souls games. There are a couple of levels i didnt like and i definitely wont be playing through the game again because of them (Like Blighttown and the sewers in dark souls and levels like that)

The 9s are perfectly fine, i can see why they give it a 10 though.

Little shocked by the hotline miami and ori scores, thought they would be higher?

Looks like a solid multiplayer shooter with a refreshing, joyous art style. Looks easy to pick up and the gameplay looks good with a unique twist.

A well-made, lighthearted arena shooter overall. Nothing groundbreaking, but on Wii U there aren't that many games so it isn't hard to see why something like this gets hyped by Wii U fans when we haven't had a new game since quite a while. Plus, it's Nintendo's first shooting game ever, so that is bound to get some attention as well.

Seems it get attention by edge and get hyped already by many media too.

Jrs3000

Ristar is that you?
Ristar_final.PNG

The cover is ok but like others said I think it should be of some of the art from the game.

CLEEK

I still think no voice chat is incredibly stupid and shortsighted.

No voice chat is fine. Cuts out abuse, trash talking, and all the horrific shit that can go hand in hand with online gaming. It's neither short-sighted or stupid, but in line with the experience you expect with Nintendo, and provides a safe environment to play online games.

I'm a casual online gamer, and normally hate voice chat. Really dug how Destiny originally handled it and that it was disabled in MK8 races.

Toxi

Banned
No voice chat is fine. Cuts out abuse, trash talking, and all the horrific shit that can go hand in hand with online gaming.
You can easily avoid those things by making voice chat optional or friends-only.

Not including voice-chat of any kind in a team-based online shooter is ridiculous.

No voice chat is fine. Cuts out abuse, trash talking, and all the horrific shit that can go hand in hand with online gaming. It's neither short-sighted or stupid, but in line with the experience you expect with Nintendo, and provides a safe environment to play online games.

I'm a casual online gamer, and normally hate voice chat. Really dug how Destiny originally handled it and that it was disabled in MK8 races.

"No options are better," says several Stockholm bank employees.

I'm ok with the cover, wonder how will look on the iPad edition. Some of their interactive covers are really amazing. The recent Fable Legends one blown my mind.
I'm looking forward to read the Bloodborne review and the Splatoon / SFV piece.

That's why God invented the mute button

Can't say I care about no voice chat.

If I'm playing with randoms I don't want to talk to them, if I'm playing with friends I have my laptop next to me for skype anyway.

Also just noticed the 5 for Titan Souls. That's disappointing. I'm really looking forward to that game, I wish I could read the review.

Is Hotline Miami 2 that much worse than 1? I loved Hotline Miami, but I've heard lukewarm things about 2 and have kinda skipped it because.

Eh, I don't know if I would say it's worse. The level design in HM2 along with mask/weapon choices forces you to approach things differently than the first. That can be a positive or a negative, and I have to note that while this is true, it's possible to become skilled enough to beat the levels HM1-style—that is, balls-to-the-wall, fast-paced, brutal runs. I preferred the soundtrack and level variety in HM2.

Can't say I care about no voice chat.

If I'm playing with randoms I don't want to talk to them, if I'm playing with friends I have my laptop next to me for skype anyway.

But can you even play with friends?

Like, is there even a party system that lets me invite some friends to go into matchmaking with? I don't fucking know.

EGM1966

BB love fest continues unabated I see. Sony sure placed a good bet there in terms of a hardcore critical darling.

Bit surprised at the HL Miami 2 score but haven't tried it so can't comment further yet

Cover is fine - I see eyes - but it's a bit destroyed by all the txt. If you're going that minimise and striking with the image you've got to be willing to cut back all the text over it IMHO.

Top Bottom