• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #288 Hitman

30% of Edge's business is digital now. I don't know how much print costs compared to Apple/Google's 30% cut. We got new ABC numbers this month they are as follows.

Nothing gaming related in the top 100 for print, but for digital...
23 Edge 6,347 +3.5%
50 Playstation Official 3,265 +47.4%
59 PC Gamer 2,826 -3.5%
93 Official Xbox 360 Magazine 1,707 +9.6%

T.E.D

Banned
Hitman used to be my shit. I must have played the second one for hundreds of hours.

Even entering in cheat codes prolonged the game. First mission, you could go into the Mafia Don's house and dress up as one of his guards or cooks, or simply snipe him from a hill a million miles away. They were great games, Blood Money, Contracts too. But somewhere along the line, it all went to hell. The games became more linear and everything people loved about Hitman disappeared. The things it stood out for were gone. The last one was atrocious. I'd rather eat dog shit than play 10 minutes of Absolution.

Hopefully this one is a return to form.

They were great games, Blood Money, Contracts too. But somewhere along the line, it all went to hell. The games became more linear and everything people loved about Hitman disappeared.
Were there extra Hitman games between Blood Money and Absolution that I don't know about?

I think Absolution was a lot of fun, even if I would have much preferred a Blood Money style of game. Absolution did finally sort out the game mechanics (which, let's be honest, were always janky as hell in the previous games), and it looked absolutely stunning.

Take those graphics and game mechanics, and put them in a proper sandbox setting with social stealth and you have my vision of a perfect game. So far, that looks to be what Hitman is going to provide.

T.E.D

Banned
Were there extra Hitman games between Blood Money and Absolution that I don't know about?

I think Absolution was a lot of fun, even if I would have much preferred a Blood Money style of game. Absolution did finally sort out the game mechanics (which, let's be honest, were always janky as hell in the previous games), and it looked absolutely stunning.

Take those graphics and game mechanics, and put them in a proper sandbox setting with social stealth and you have my vision of a perfect game. So far, that looks to be what Hitman is going to provide.

Let's hope so. Hitman's strength was always the sandbox. "Here's a city block, here's your target, now do whatever the hell you want". Then it just became, "jump over that wall, pick this up, throw it over there, duck, climb through here" etc etc. No, it looks like you got all of the games btw.

The problem with Absolution was ultimately the AI that discouraged experimentation. And that the game had too few sandbox levels. I loved the Chinatown level, trying it like 10 times over to do certain objectives in different ways. There just wasn't enough of that.

It'd be nice if a Hitman game for once had well-written female characters and have them on equal footing with the male characters. Not have boring tropes like damsels in distress, women in fridges, or deaths to motivate the player. And a story worth following, like Contracts'.

N1nJar

Pewp. They've gone back to the crummy pdf digital version they started with a couple of years ago. The interactive edition used to be so good! Subscribed last week since they had a good discount, but might cancel it now :/

No, it's about having representatives (Constance Steinkuehler, in 2011 was White House's first policy advisor for videogames, then followed by Mark DeLoura) for the medium who used to have to convince the White House after the Sandy Hook massacre that games "are not merely violent and misogynistic". Debating with Biden, Steinkuehler also has to convince the games industry leaders to be adult and offer solutions like Hollywood did rather than just deflect responsibility:

This is really interesting, and not at all what I was expecting. Thanks!

Top Bottom