• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

watershed

Banned
Do you have an argument? Yes, I mostly dislike the Zelda series and also think all reviews should be taken with skepticism.

Obviously some people in this thread are trying to read my mind and discredit me just because I also mostly dislike this series. But do my posts look like someone who is just trying to shit on Zelda? I never said it will certainly be bad or anything like that. To me it sounds like it will be good since it seems influenced by the first game. However I just think it's bad for the industry for people to get this hyped about a game that is not out yet, especially based on reviews from the mainstream press which has historically failed to accurate assess games.
Thank god we have you to protect the integrity of the game industry and hold these reviewers accountable.

WadeitOut

If you've never liked a Zelda game and think they are all overrated...don't expect anyone to care about your opinion of the game.

There is a reason why I don't go into Dark Souls/Bloodborne threads and give my critical analysis of them.

13ruce

Banned
EeEdkTP.png

https://twitter.com/MikeDiver/status/835584741420195841

I believe!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Protagonists both use bows. Both have a post-apocalyptic setting with machines roaming around. Both seem to feature plots that revolve around finding out what happened in the past. Both are open world games. That's... about it, just gets amplified due to their close proximity to one another.

Honestly that kinda sounds like more than enough to draw comparisons, they dont exactly have to be ripoffs of eachother to get compared lol

Caelus

It might be worth reading through impressions by people who have played 10 or 20 hours of it to get an understanding of the concrete reasons why this game is getting positive reception, instead of a blanket assumption that all positive criticism results solely from nostalgia or brand loyalty.

But whatever.

LotusHD

Banned
Honestly that kinda sounds like more than enough to draw comparisons, they dont exactly have to be ripoffs of eachother to get compared lol

Yea I know, though it comes off as superficial to me for the most part. But hey, everyone, including the press, is slowly getting in on it, so it's more or less unavoidable at point. That being said, I do look forward to in-depth comparisons regarding their respective open worlds, like with the Waypoint podcast that was posted not too long ago.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I think they are very comparable and to me it's obvious if you're interested in one that the other one should also be interesting to you.

This Zelda will be more systemic and therefor in the current gaming climate more interesting and Horizon will be more traditional when compared to their action-adventure/rpg contemporaries.

I want to play both very much.

Getting really tired of all these glowing impressions. It's making the wait for the game torturous. How am I meant to wait almost another whole week?

Pif

Banned
It might be worth reading through impressions by people who have played 10 or 20 hours of it to get an understanding of the concrete reasons why this game is getting positive reception, instead of a blanket assumption that all positive criticism results solely from nostalgia or brand loyalty.

But whatever.

I think the main beef is that Skyward Sword and GTA4 were also a 10, and didn't deserve those reviews despite the innovations they brought.

Okolonans

Neo Member
What's up with folks dismissing critical analysis of a medium? Reviews matter. They always have.

Like, Roger Ebert wasn't just some schmo who started writing about movies for the heck of it. He has years of experience and a keen eye for art. His analysis was to be taken seriously because he just downright knew more about film than the average movie-goer. Same thing with reputable video game reviewers.

Obviously I'm not dismissing critical analyses in principle. I'm saying reviews for games are generally pooor.

Seriously, go read a review of a game you know really well and you'll see what I mean. Most reviews are full of vague language, clichés, and just obvious lack of knowledge about how games work. I think the average movie critic and consumer is better at thinking about movies than the average game critic and gamer is at thinking about games.

When every single preview has been positive and a review from probably the most respected print magazine dedicated to gaming gives it their highest accolade, what else are people supposed to think. Add to that the fact that you've already stated that you think Zelda is the most overrated of series and you've got someone who is swimming against the tide of popular opinion. A lot of people love Zelda and it's dear to their hearts. A game in the Zelda series (mainline 3d) generally only releases once every 5 years or so. A Zelda game being released is an event to a lot of people, like 3D Mario or GTA is an event. People get hyped because they love the series. What's healthy about your scepticism other than you going "me, me, I don't like Zelda so you should all be sceptical about this game that every outlet, hands on impression, preview, review, passing glance, quick look etc has been positive about". It just smacks of being obtuse for the sake of it.

The error you make in this is assuming popularity=quality. Half of your paragraph is just appealing to the fact that everyone else likes it, so I must get excited as well! Wrong.

It's "healthy" to be skeptical because you're going into the game without unrealistic expectations and emotional investment. It's just a psychological fact that if you tell yourself the game is going to be a masterpiece and the game of the generation then you're likely unconsciously going to overrate it because the emotional cost of being disappointed is so high. It's also just more faithful to the truth. Instead of getting hyped and all that, just go into the game with an objective state of mind and play the game as it is instead of as you want it to be.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It's relieving that it got a 10, but it doesn't mean too much when the same publication gave Skyward Sword a 10. I don't know how someone who is trained to analyze video game design can say that Skyward Sword deserves a 10.

The positive previews yesterday were much more telling of BotW's quality.

sanstesy

Honestly this game is already a failure anyway. It was the 100 MC score dream or bust. Who cares about if the game gets a 85 or fuckin' 93 now??? Right, NO ONE lmfao

Super Mario Odyssey later in the year will make that dream a reality though. I feel it in my bones😵

LotusHD

Banned
It's relieving that it got a 10, but it doesn't mean too much when the same publication gave Skyward Sword a 10. I don't know how someone who is trained to analyze video game design can say that Skyward Sword deserves a 10.

So... we get hyped through the previews instead of the review then?

benny_a

It's "healthy" to be skeptical because you're going into the game without unrealistic expectations and emotional investment. It's just a psychological fact that if you tell yourself the game is going to be a masterpiece and the game of the generation then you're likely unconsciously going to overrate it because the emotional cost of being disappointed is so high. It's also just more faithful to the truth. Instead of getting hyped and all that, just go into the game with an objective state of mind and play the game as it is instead of as you want it to be.
While this is true. Ultimately it doesn't really matter, does it?

For the person experiencing it from the perspective of an irrational actor it still triggers all the pleasure emotions anyway.

So what if they haven't properly (whatever that means) arrived at that state, the subjective experience is still a positive for them.

Makai

What's up with folks dismissing critical analysis of a medium? Reviews matter. They always have.

Like, Roger Ebert wasn't just some schmo who started writing about movies for the heck of it. He had years of experience and a keen eye for art. His analysis was to be taken seriously because he just downright knew more about film than the average movie-goer. Same thing with reputable video game reviewers.
http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2016/10-bad-movies-that-roger-ebert-liked/

Regardless, film reviews are dissimilar from game reviews. Much more attention to history and subjective meaning in film reviews - game reviews are about features and explaining enjoyment

Obviously I'm not dismissing critical analyses in principle. I'm saying reviews for games are generally pooor.

Seriously, go read a review of a game you know really well and you'll see what I mean. Most reviews are full of vague language, clichés, and just obvious lack of knowledge about how games work. I think the average movie critic and consumer is better at thinking about movies than the average game critic and gamer is at thinking about games.

The error you make in this is assuming popularity=quality. Half of your paragraph is just appealing to the fact that everyone else likes it, so I must get excited as well! Wrong.

Nah, I know its going to be good because of what I've seen and because I've read EDGE for 17 years and I trust their reviews much more often than not.

Nairume

Banned

Reading the actual review for Skyward Sword, they made a more than compelling case for why they felt it deserved a 10.

You're going to fixate on the sole blemish on what is otherwise probably the least contestable set of 10s I've ever seen from a sole games review outlet?

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

I still don't get this "They gave SS a 10 so I'll discredit this publication". A LOT of reviewers gave 10s and at least 9+ for SS, are we going to dismiss all of their reviews of BOTW because of it?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
So... we get hyped through the previews instead of the review then?
I'll be satisfied when some positive review take a giant shit on Skyward Sword. I have faith that it won't take long for these reviews to come out.

I don't know how someone who isn't can say that it doesn't.

benny_a

I'll be satisfied when some positive review take a giant shit on Skyward Sword. I have faith that it won't take long for these reviews to come out.
Yeah, the two games are basically on opposite ends of the player freedom continuum so this is a certainly.

When Breath of the Wild gets a shitload of 10s soon, are people going to research what every one of the sources gave Skyward Sword???
They should be shamed, just like IGN gets shamed for their God Hand or GTA 4 review. ;-)

Okolonans

Neo Member
If you've never liked a Zelda game and think they are all overrated...don't expect anyone to care about your opinion of the game.

There is a reason why I don't go into Dark Souls/Bloodborne threads and give my critical analysis of them.

I'm assuming this is directed at me since I'm the main person not being positive in the last few pages of this thread. If not, I apologize and you can disregard this.

1. I liked the first Zelda game and Ocarina, I just thought Ocarina was really overrated.

2. Why would you discount someone's opinion just because they think a game you like it's as great as everyone says it is? Sounds like straight-up fanboy thinking, which I know most people here actually aren't.

3. I'm not really giving my opinion of the game, per se. I already said I think it looks good based off of what people have written about it. I'm just saying at some point people have to stop going out of their minds every time the press hands out another 10 to a hyped title.

Mate. Play Skyward Sword.

While this is true. Ultimately it doesn't really matter, does it?

For the person experiencing it from the perspective of an irrational actor it still triggers all the pleasure emotions anyway.

So what if they haven't properly (whatever that means) arrived at that state, the subjective experience is still a positive for them.

I guess it only matters if you care about the truth. If you are happy literally deluding yourself into thinking something is good regardless of its actual quality, then I guess you're right. However I like to think most people want to like good things and not like bad things.

MoonFrog

But whatever.
No!/s

And I say this as someone who actually doesn't find reviews or previews all that helpful, as I said up-thread.

I think they are a good, but fallible barometer, taken together, as to the general quality of a game and that they can give you information that tells you how much to weigh them personally in the content of the text.

I don't think reviews are very good at getting down towards what is specifically bad and good in a game, but the reviewers are on the clock and publishing before they have had time to fully digest a game imo. It also comes across as a consumer electronics kind of affair, where really it is just about how much enjoyment the product produced and what were the pitfalls to the enjoyment, without much of a critical edge taken to the games.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure most people here only care about the general quality of the game and the experience. At this point, that is all I care about too. I will digest the game myself when I play it, but I would like to have some idea of how other people would rate that experience before I jump in. That is where reviews come in, even if they aren't critically important pieces or square on the nose as to what the game is.

Tbf. I'm on a bit of a black-out as to long-form content on this game, so perhaps the EDGE review here really is a good review and I don't know it.

Great game. And yes, I have thought a lot about that and have reasons why I think it is. It is not so simple as "be the sheep, agree with these people who disagree with me," or "be like me and see a game's true worth."

sanstesy

Guys, you don't need to respond to every single post that has skepticsms regarding review scores or impressions. It goes both ways.

Evidently people don't like it when you upset their hype party or try to inject healthy skepticism. It seems the acceptable opinion is to be totally positive at all times and to accept every game we haven't played yet as an indisputable masterpiece.

why are you in this thread, you've already stated that you think zelda is the most overrated series of all time.
Why even bother to come in to this thread just to stir up the people here.

Gardios

Man, this thread is making a really strong case for why more reviewers should move away from numbered scores in reviews. Shit's so embarrassing and childish.

benny_a

why are you in this thread, you've already stated that you think zelda is the most overrated series of all time.
Why even bother to come in to this thread just to stir up the people here.
Because this thread is about Edge #304, which contains several stories.

And even if it were, you don't have to be positive about any given thing that is discussed in a thread.

If you think Okolonans has been violating the terms of service or has been a blight on the community then you should contact a moderator.

I guess it only matters if you care about the truth. If you are happy literally deluding yourself into thinking something is good regardless of its actual quality, then I guess you're right. However I like to think most people want to like good things and not like bad things.
You can care about the truth about things that matter and not care about anything but the subjective experience about things that do not matter, like a leisure activity such as playing video games.
Of course being able to assess whether or not something is good a bad requires a lot of effort, which is more than most everyone is ever committing to game analysis.

And even if it were, you don't have to be positive about any given thing that is discussed in a thread.

If you think Okolonans has been violating the terms of service or has been a blight on the community then you should contact a moderator.
lol

WadeitOut

2. Why would you discount someone's opinion just because they think a game you like it's as great as everyone says it is? Sounds like straight-up fanboy thinking, which I know most people here actually aren't.

Because of bias and a preconceived notion affecting your opinion. If a movie reviewer just typically hates Action movies, I'm not going to care about their opinion of an action movie. Not talking rocket science here.

I'm assuming this is directed at me since I'm the main person not being positive in the last few pages of this thread. If not, I apologize and you can disregard this.

1. I liked the first Zelda game and Ocarina, I just thought Ocarina was really overrated.

3. I'm not really giving my opinion of the game, per se. I already said I think it looks good based off of what people have written about it. I'm just saying at some point people have to stop going out of their minds every time the press hands out another 10 to a hyped title.

Uh oh.

Someone's really upset a Nintendo game is being previewed and reviewed really well.

Jealousy is such an ugly thing.

:(

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Yeah you're right. Though I would say some of his comment came of pretty insulting with the "accurate opinion" and calling people deluded for believing a review from a well respected publication in a thread about the reviews from that publication.

Caelus

Skyward Sword was also 5 years ago and wasn't really an open-world game.

With all the great open-world games that have come out since then, Breath of the Wild is facing much tougher competition and will be held to higher standards (I hope) as it's inevitably being compared to titles like Witcher 3, Horizon, Dark Souls, etc.

The Zelda nostalgia will no doubt buffer some criticism, but at the same time, it also raises expectations.

Top Bottom