• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #304 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild special

If you've never liked a Zelda game and think they are all overrated...don't expect anyone to care about your opinion of the game.

There is a reason why I don't go into Dark Souls/Bloodborne threads and give my critical analysis of them.

It's weird as hell isnt it?

I hate realistic driving games like Gran Turismo and yet there's no chance that if the new PS4 GT got a 10, that I'd get all hissy and go into the games threads and starting getting upset about it.

I'd just be like 'that's cool for the people that like that sort of game'.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
You're going to fixate on the sole blemish on what is otherwise probably the least contestable set of 10s I've ever seen from a sole games review outlet?
Yep
I still don't get this "They gave SS a 10 so I'll discredit this publication". A LOT of reviewers gave 10s and at least 9+ for SS, are we going to dismiss all of their reviews of BOTW because of it?
You don't have to dismiss anything, I'm talking about myself here. I, personally, am going to be much more trustworthy of reviewers/reviews that acknowledge the major design flaws of the last few 3D Zelda games, and especially Skyward Sword.

FuturusX

Well perhaps Skyward Sword can finally get its day in the sun. Bless Edge for rekindling that flame. How any one can question BOTW, given the sheer equality of preview material is beyond me,

Majmun

Skyward Sword was also 5 years ago and wasn't really an open-world game.

With all the great open-world games that have come out since then, Breath of the Wild is facing much tougher competition and will be held to higher standards (I hope) as it's inevitably being compared to titles like Witcher 3, Horizon, Dark Souls, etc.

The Zelda nostalgia will no doubt buffer some criticism, but at the same time, it also raises expectations.

Dark Souls isn't open world, tho :p

Man, this thread is making a really strong case for why more reviewers should move away from numbered scores in reviews. Shit's so embarrassing and childish.

It actually detracts from the effort of the reviewer. The quote I put in here was hyperbolic to a degree because the reviewer loved the game and it was their summing up statement. The rest of the review contains a ton of other stuff that if you read it and put it in the context of what we've seen of the game so far, you can very much tell why they loved it and how much of a step-change the game is for Zelda.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
You don't have to dismiss anything, I'm talking about myself here. I, personally, am going to be much more trustworthy of reviewers/reviews that acknowledge the major design flaws of the last few 3D Zelda games, and especially Skyward Sword.

That's fair, go after the reviewers you know share a similar taste as you is probably the best thing to do.

The thing is I've gotten tired of the blanket statements in this thread of "Gave SS 10 lol..." and I guess I took your comment as the same as those.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You haven't played the game and yet you talk as if you have
This is what he says about the game:
I already said I think it looks good based off of what people have written about it.

Everything else is about the conversation about why reviews in games are shit (which I agree with) and hype culture (which exists).

It obviously seems like the wrong thread for this kind of thing, because people think Zelda looks good in previews and reviewers are saying it's great.
So for the utilitarian in me, the worst that can happen is that someone gets blinded by their hype and the fostered hype culture to buy a game that ultimately seems to succeed in what it tries to accomplish. There are worse fates. But Okolonans seems more interested in the topic of intrinsic goodness, which is rather heavy for a random thread.

I can however sympathize because I've been called alarmist for when I talked about shitty publisher marketing practices about deception when the upcoming game by publisher X looked to be a good one, where this deception wouldn't really sucker people into crap.

I'm assuming this is directed at me since I'm the main person not being positive in the last few pages of this thread. If not, I apologize and you can disregard this.

1. I liked the first Zelda game and Ocarina, I just thought Ocarina was really overrated.

2. Why would you discount someone's opinion just because they think a game you like it's as great as everyone says it is? Sounds like straight-up fanboy thinking, which I know most people here actually aren't.

3. I'm not really giving my opinion of the game, per se. I already said I think it looks good based off of what people have written about it. I'm just saying at some point people have to stop going out of their minds every time the press hands out another 10 to a hyped title.

Mate. Play Skyward Sword.

I guess it only matters if you care about the truth. If you are happy literally deluding yourself into thinking something is good regardless of its actual quality, then I guess you're right. However I like to think most people want to like good things and not like bad things.

I don't understand your posts at all. It's like you're accusing people who like the Zelda series, and every outlet that has ever reviewed all of these games that sit atop the Metacritic rankings, deluded. I mean, other than saying "It's overrated", you haven't given a single reason as to why you think any of these people are wrong. It's almost as if you've come into this thread to stink it up a little by throwing your "healthy dose of scepticism" at people.

5d04IRp.jpg
Yall out of order lol back to the preview thread

LOL

Servbot24

Banned

With all the great open-world games that have come out since then, Breath of the Wild is facing much tougher competition and will be held to higher standards (I hope) as it's inevitably being compared to titles like Witcher 3, Horizon, Dark Souls, etc.

The Zelda nostalgia will no doubt buffer some criticism, but at the same time, it also raises expectations.

From what I've seen so far, it looks like the open world design is by far better than most open world games so far. There is a tons of direct interactive gameplay and opportunity for creativity in the gameplay.

Only thing I'm worried about is the narrative structure. I don't need an in-depth stories, but I do need memorable characters, thematic weight, and a drive forward.

xandaca

Haven't they been around for like 24 years and only handed out like 19 10/10?

Yes, but they've been handing out full marks much more liberally in recent years. The first five 10s were Mario 64, Gran Turismo, OOT, Halo and Half-Life 2: eight years between the first and the fifth. In the twelve-odd years since - assuming your figure is correct, it was only 15 a few years ago - that number has almost quadrupled.

Caelus

Only thing I'm worried about is the narrative structure. I don't need an in-depth stories, but I do need memorable characters, thematic weight, and a drive forward.

The EDGE review's description of the story reminds me of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Majora's Mask, if that gives people some idea, and that it meshes well with player choice.

Guys, today I found the wonderful ignore option. Use it liberally, makes everything so much better!

You are just polluting the thread by now, they don't want to hear your arguments, they just want to throw a shade over LoZ.

Too bad that Nintendo threads are seemingly a no mans land here, things get ugly really quick.

I am just happy that we get good/great games, be it for a superb Switch or mere PS4 ;)

one_kill

This is what he says about the game:
I already said I think it looks good based off of what people have written about it.

Everything else is about the conversation about why reviews in games are shit (which I agree with) and hype culture (which exists).

It obviously seems like the wrong thread for this kind of thing, because people think Zelda looks good in previews and reviewers are saying it's great.
So for the utilitarian in me, the worst that can happen is that someone gets blinded by their hype and the fostered hype culture to buy a game that ultimately seems to succeed in what it tries to accomplish. There are worse fates. But Okolonans seems more interested in the topic of intrinsic goodness, which is rather heavy for a random thread.

I can however sympathize because I've been called alarmist for when I talked about shitty publisher marketing practices about deception when the upcoming game by publisher X looked to be a good one, where this deception wouldn't really sucker people into crap.
Anyone can preface their argument with "I think" or "In my opinion", but actually mean otherwise

Yes, but they've been handing out full marks much more liberally in recent years. The first five 10s were Mario 64, Gran Turismo, OOT, Halo and Half-Life 2: eight years between the first and the fifth. In the twelve-odd years since - assuming your figure is correct, it was only 15 a few years ago - that number has almost quadrupled.
Eh...they are still one of the tougher magazines around. 10/10 from edge still holds a lot of weight at least to me, I mean just look at the 10's they gave out.

selo

Hmm, a lot of pages and I just see a link to subscribe to the printed magazine... is there a way to purchase this digitally ?

Because this thread is about Edge #304, which contains several stories.
And even if it were, you don't have to be positive about any given thing that is discussed in a thread.
If you think Okolonans has been violating the terms of service or has been a blight on the community then you should contact a moderator.

He can post whatever he wants, positive or negative, but the comments are approaching more than a little rude...
and yes Edge #304 does contain several stories, funny how the user who has previously declared his hatred for zelda appears in this thread, ignores the other 'stories' and jumps straight into people discussing zelda with comments like this...

It's frankly embarrassing how seriously some people take review scores and how they accept them as fact.
I assumed everyone else grew out of getting "hyped" at age 14, maybe it was just me.

Evidently people don't like it when you upset their hype party

If you actually use your disinterested aesthetic judgment to form an opinion, it will be more accurate than willingly getting caught up in emotion and hype.

As long as you acknowledge that you are willingly deluding yourself by buying into advertising/hype and you are giving up any claim to accurate opinions then that is no problem.

Again he can post his thoughts but telling other users they are deluded, embarrassing and need to grow up for being excited otherwise they are giving up any claim to accurate opinions is a little bit much.

Yep

Are you sure the things you're talking about are 'major design flaws'? Or are they just choices you didn't like? The only common issue from Skyward Sword I'd consider a design flaw is the repeating item collection notification, maybe.

I understand giving one reviewer more weight because their views align better with yours, that makes absolute sense. 'Major design flaws' is being either disingenuous or intensely hyperbolic though, and you'll find very few reputable reviewers who'll share that opinion for recent 3D Zelda games.

bounchfx

for me the excitement comes from the idea of a good and polished open world game. most of the ones I've played to date are either janky, empty, boring, or samey. This actually looks like none of that. The only other great recent example I can think of at this time is Witcher 3, as I haven't played Horizon yet. And while I fucking loved Skyrim (and fallout was ok), it was kind of janky and a lil samey compared to previous TES games. BTOW seems rather fresh. So I'm hoping I really dig it. But you're 100% right, it does raise expectations and I really hope nintendo did their homework looking at other games in the genre.

eh yeah but it was from IGN which I believe gave a stigma to the game. GTA4 is really good. maybe not the best in the series, maybe not perfect, but it was quite good.

Yup. I find the over the top backlash against this game just as hyperbolic as all the 10/10 game of the generation review that people rightly criticise.

I guess that's fair, but everything we're seeing in regards to this game suggests that the game itself sidesteps the design flaws of previous 3D Zelda games, so I'm not even sure that much is necessary

Yup. I find the over the top backlash against this game just as hyperbolic as all the 10/10 game of the generation review that people rightly criticise.

For me it was a huge disappointment, and on PC is was nigh unplayable for a long time.

Game mechanics were worse than SA, world was so bleak...

I think that SA was the last good GTA, or maybe I just went over the phase where I think it's fun to beat grandmothers and hookers and take their money...

Vice City is the best still, though...

Mafro

Not entirely. 3D action games often have a target lock you can toggle but Zelda has a press-and -hold approach not many other games use AFAIK.
You can toggle it between pressing the button once to toggle, or holding the button.

Can you name some? Certainly not in shooters anymore.
The Souls series and Bloodborne, Bayonetta, DMC, virtually any 3D action game, really.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Are you sure the things you're talking about are 'major design flaws'? Or are they just choices you didn't like? The only common issue from Skyward Sword I'd consider a design flaw is the repeating item collection notification, maybe.

I understand giving one reviewer more weight because their views align better with yours, that makes absolute sense. 'Major design flaws' is being either disingenuous or intensely hyperbolic though, and you'll find very few reputable reviewers who'll share that opinion for recent 3D Zelda games.
I suppose you could say that it doesn't have major design flaws if the game was intended for an audience who doesn't know how to navigate a video game.

The post script is incredible. The reviewer loved the Korok Seeds even if they admit that they should be the worst kind of collectible. They even praise how the Towers are so varied in terms of scenarios.

It seems Nintendo has succeeded fair and square in what they have set out to accomplish.

"The result is a land that, for all of it's freedom, feels not just built but also uncommonly tightly designed"

Albo

People talk about each press outlet like all their reviews/opinions are from a hive mind when it's different people with varying opinions writing them.

ASIS

Because this thread is about Edge #304, which contains several stories.

And even if it were, you don't have to be positive about any given thing that is discussed in a thread.

If you think Okolonans has been violating the terms of service or has been a blight on the community then you should contact a moderator.

It's not about violating rules, but some people (Okolonans included) seem to be upset that people are happy that those who got the chance to play the game are praising it. I get "injecting healthy skepticism" is a good thing, it's necessary even. But that's not what his attitude certainly isn't reflecting that.

Ironically it's his own bias against the series that is clouding his judgement on people's excitement, not the other way around.

Before GTAV I actually wasn't interested in the GTA series. When IV came out I decided to give it a go and found nothing interesting about the plot or the gameplay mechanics. It was so... average and generic, in that sense, that it cemented my opinion of the series that it was nothing but a bunch of overrated titles that people love because "it's cool to be the bad guy".

GTAV, on the other hand, rectified all of that. I still don't consider the GTA series as one of my favorites. But the difference between those two titles is crazy. One was a 10, the other was an 8 at best.

Majora

If you read the magazine you'll know that this has been addressed by them many times.

Basically a 10 from Edge used to mean that it was 'revolutionary'. That was literally the word they used on the scoring scale. This was the scale they used to use:

1 - disastrous 2 - appalling 3 - severely flawed 4 - disappointing 5 - average 6 - competent 7 - distinguished 8 - excellent 9 - astounding 10 - revolutionary

Then, one issue, the scale changed to this deeply tongue in cheek list:

1=one 2=two 3=three, 4=four, 5=five etc

The 'revolutionary' tag had become an albatross around Edge's neck. It was easy to define games like Mario 64 and Ocarina as revolutionary because of the jump to 3D but as time progressed and gaming became more about evolution and polishing well established concepts in 3D, the term revolutionary started seeming restrictive. Amazing, generation defining games were coming and going without getting a 10 because they couldn't honestly be classed as a 'revolution'.

Basically the increased number of tens isn't an accident. They still wanted the score to be seen as significant, but they also wanted to be able to give it out more often and for it to stop seeming like it had to completely revolutionise the gaming landscape in ways that are increasingly rare as the industry matures.

You can argue whether this is a good move or not but I think ultimately they were just fed up of the grandiose nature of the criteria for a ten that had been established. Now I'd see it more as a 'best in genre' or 'one of the games of a generation' award rather than 'this will change gaming forever' award.

Nairume

Banned
I suppose you could say that it doesn't have major design flaws if the game was intended for an audience who doesn't know how to navigate a video game.
Well, yeah

There is such a thing as designing a game with the philosophy that said game could be somebody's first.

ckaneo

The post script is incredible. The reviewer loved the Korok Seeds even if they admit that they should be the worst kind of collectible. They even praise how the Towers are so varied in terms of scenarios.

It seems Nintendo has succeeded fair and square in what they have set out to accomplish.

"The result is a land that, for all of it's freedom, feels not just built but also uncommonly tightly designed"
I agree, I love and hate them. There are too many and far too random, but they are great in game.

I'll be satisfied when some positive review take a giant shit on Skyward Sword. I have faith that it won't take long for these reviews to come out.

AqlbAET.png

I cant imagine what a daunting task that was. It's hard enough to design small levels but designing such a massive world where everything fits and clicks is a monumental achievement.

That's like... The Holy Grail. How does a developer even accomplish something like that? It boggles the mind. Magic.

If true, what makes that even more impressive is that this is Nintendo's first true open world game in the modern sense outside of Monolith. What makes me really sad is there is no Iwata Asks for it. I loved reading those to get at least a sense of the development.

Oregano

If true, what makes that even more impressive is that this is Nintendo's first true open world game in the modern sense outside of Monolith. What makes me really sad is there is no Iwata Asks for it. I loved reading those to get at least a sense of the development.

Maybe Miyamoto really could have made Halo?:p

Speely

Banned

An Iwata Asks for this game would be So. Fucking. Good. :/

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That's like... The Holy Grail. How does a developer even accomplish something like that? It boggles the mind. Magic.

By getting monolithsoft's help, the ones who developed to xenoblades that were simultaneously huge, yet had surprisingly tight level design

Top Bottom