• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge May 2008 contents

Shinblade

Banned
HarryHengst said:
Review scores... who cares about those things. :lol I bet Mario kart Wii is going to give a lot more people a lot more fun than MGS4 or something, even though the latter game is most likely getting a higher grade.

LOL and LOL

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
MrHicks said:
why are edge covers always pretty awesome and other magazine covers cluttered full of shit?
Because Europe>All? (This coming from an Australian)

Yoboman

MechaX said:
Given how meager-to-negative of a reception jGAF had about The World Ends with You, it's interesting to see so many review outlets liking it. Seems like this is the DS game to get in April.
jGaffers are basically always wrong about everything.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
MrHicks said:
why are edge covers always pretty awesome and other magazine covers cluttered full of shit?

i like the new egm cover. i have pretty high hopes for egm's style now that milky's in charge, actually--the design feels like it might have some nuts again.

antiloop

HarryHengst said:
Review scores... who cares about those things. :lol I bet Mario kart Wii is going to give a lot more people a lot more fun than MGS4 or something, even though the latter game is most likely getting a higher grade.

So it's Mario Kart vs MGS this time. :lol

Edit: Would be great if you could drive a go-kart in MGS4. Through the war field :D

shas'la

Backpage

DSC01256.jpg

next month

DSC01257.jpg

shas'la

Nuclear Muffin said:
Anyone know what their complaints were?

"having sacrificed racing intergrity in double dash to side with social silliness, Nintendo has turned 180 degress into an akward halfway house".

watkinzez

All these positive reviews of The World Ends with You is tempting me, despite not knowing much about it. Just might take the plunge.

hokahey

HarryHengst said:

MGS4 is the realistiks and MK is notz. U r the reasons people hatez tha nintendo fan! mario kartz has no titz or blood so fuck it. :D

Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't be surprised if MK outsold MGS though which would actually lend credence to Harry's comment.

MGS3 has sold 3.96 million copies worldwide.

MKDD has sold 4.6 million copies world wide.

But yeah, a 5 for Double Dash? It's obvious that Edge aint too fond of the kiddiez games.

I fucking love 'em. A blue shell up all of your asses.

WTF, who took that awful picture? Can't see shit, dunno how you derived Assassin's Creed from that but it will be at E3.

Desi

MrHicks said:
I used to like the drawn unofficial Playstation mag covers.
shas'la said:
next month

DSC01257.jpg
fable 2, Soul Reaver, Last Remnant. Yeah I can't make out shit.

Yoboman

hokahey said:
MGS4 is the realistiks and MK is notz. U r the reasons people hatez tha nintendo fan! mario kartz has no titz or blood so fuck it. :D

Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't be surprised if MK outsold MGS though which would actually lend credence to Harry's comment.

MGS3 has sold 3.96 million copies worldwide.

MKDD has sold 4.6 million copies world wide.

But yeah, a 5 for Double Dash? It's obvious that Edge aint too fond of the kiddiez games.

I fucking love 'em. A blue shell up all of your asses.
Great post, will read many times over

Kafel

Banned
RandomVince said:
Reviews:

Mario Kart wii 6
Dark sector 7
Viking: Battle of Asgard 6
Turning point: fall of liberty 3
The world ends with you 8
Final fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of fates 6
Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the wanderer 6
Destry all humans: Big willy unleashed 4
Insecticide 3
Eco creatures: save the forest 4
Nanostray 2 7
Dementium: the ward 5
Rocketmen: Axes of evil 4

Hype:

Fable 2
Yakuza Kenzan
Haze
Golden Axe Beast rider
GTA 4
Sid Meiers Civilization revolution
Stalker: Clear sky
Wipeout HD
Trackmania DS
Dungeon hero
Legendary
Monster lab
Soul Bubbles
Velvet Assassin
Sega Splash! Golf
Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core
Knights in the Nightmare
Mushroom men
Fracture

Features:

Sims 3
Buzz studio
MGS4
NCSoft
Boss battles

Time extended:

Freedom Fighters

Making of:

Lure of the temptress

No Ikaruga ??

Amir0x

Banned
Seems everyone loves The World Ends with You.

sp0rsk said:
I don't really like Mario Kart. The only good thing about the series was the battle mode in the SNES version.

The thing is I used to like Mario Kart, but at some point I stopped having fun with the series. I've never been able to quite figure out why. I agree with you battle mode is the highlight in SNES version.

Delio

Just a question why is there so much negativity to Mario kart wii? I'm not one to try blindly defending stuff but i havent seen anything negative about it. Could someone explain that to me? And about that picture it looks like smoke (abeit stylished) kinda like okami but i figure that wouldnt be it.

colinp

Banned
shas'la said:
Yeah, but it only gets a brief mention.

Exactly! The backpage is always just a tease and often not worth getting worked up about...

I really hope they release some more Edge presents issues though. I <3 the Art of Videogames, 100 Best Videogames, and FILE special editions. I don't suppose this issue mentions anything about an upcoming one, does it?

shas'la

I only got it this morning and have a bit of a hangover so the most i could stand was to type out all the scrore/hype i'm not upto reading it yet :p

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
piffle. the only good simulation racing game ever made was r.c. pro-am on the nes. it's been all downhill since then.

Teasel

MechaX said:
Given how meager-to-negative of a reception jGAF had about The World Ends with You, it's interesting to see so many review outlets liking it. Seems like this is the DS game to get in April.
mmm... i must have fallen in an alternative reality because i remember glowing impression for people such as thetrin
http://hdrlying.com/2007/08/04/post-mortem-impressions-its-a-wonderful-world/
oh and details about shiren... i usualy don't care about review but since this is edge and all...

shas'la

soul said:
Can OP give more details about The World Ends With You review?

edge said:
As each enemy encounter is rated in Viewtiful joe style, the emphasis is on showboating through customisation, meaning the game is deeper than it is wide. However with a slew of different moves to discover and evolve, a fresh and exciting new way of framing an interactive challenge and an interesting story tied to a single small location, these are depths worth exploring.

ethelred

Durante said:
Wow, unexpected.

I've been pretty surprised by the high scores it's getting across the board.

And they're hyping up Knights in the Nightmare? Nice! I like this magazine.

batbeg

Nice, TWEWY is a must-buy for me... eventually. I forgot that Mario Kart comes out next week, I just bought Guitar Hero and now have no monies :(

sp0rsk said:
I don't really like Mario Kart. The only good thing about the series was the battle mode in the SNES version.

I completely agree.

MK64's battle mode is one of the most overrated gaming experiences of all-time.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
1-D_FTW said:
Fortunately for gaf, and my ignore list, there's fewer Nintendo cultists than MS or Sony cultists by a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE mile.

My defense of them stated, every video I've watched of Mario Kart Wii has left me completely cold and I think a 6 is more than fair for it.

Really? I get very nervous any time a Nintendo title doesn't get a 10 from every magazine in the world. The internets aren't safe for weeks afterward.

I'm surprised by the Dark Sector score. Thought for sure it'd get a 5 or 6 from Edge. I'm playing it on the PS3, and the first few levels of that game really left me feeling like the game was going to suck, but the more I play it, the more I like it. If there weren't so many graphical glitches in this game, I think it would have scored at least 8's across the board. Unfortunately there's all kind of weird pop in and effects just turn on and off instantaneously (like fog just appearing all around you all of the sudden) which is jarring and takes you out of the mood. That said, it's still a fun and solid game.

I will say this, Uncharted is in a similar category I'd say, but the mechanics in Uncharted are better by a country mile. The cover system in Uncharted works significantly better, the shooting is MUCH tighter in Uncharted, and obviously the platforming in Uncharted is something that this game doesn't do. Why compare it to Uncharted? It just feels like they were going for the same sort of thing with the combat, but Uncharted nailed it, and these guys didn't, plus the game is one dimensional combat oriented only and Uncharted throws in some excellent platforming. I think this game could have been a lot better if they would have just added in a jump button. It's STILL a fun game though, but it's definitely a B grade game. I'd rent it if I could do it over again, and it's not a game I'll keep. It's definitely worth checking out.

StuBurns

Banned
Yoboman said:
They're nothing alike besides being blue

That's just a random pic from the video, there is a lot of blue crap floating around, and I didn't say it was, just that it looked like it.

batbeg

drakesfortune said:
Uncharted Splooge

drakesfortune

Be honest now, how much of that was about Dark Sector and how much of it was really just an excuse for talking about Uncharted? ;)

Narag

pilonv1 said:
this will be good

bunch of people who never read the magazine complaining about a score they don't understand or claiming it's not important because they dont read it

Last month's Chains of Olympus rioting over a 7 was precious.

Top Bottom