• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge May 2008 contents

Majmun

Visualante said:
awuznt.jpg

Maybe new Prince of Persia?

Second said:
Maybe new Prince of Persia?
It has a different vibe than that I think. Not that anyone except Game Informer would have the exclusive on new Prince of Persia.

It's either something about the logo of a brand or intrinsically part of the art style. I think it's too organic to be Deus Ex.

ethelred

Yoboman said:
Can we get an MGS4 preview type-up (if it's not too much)?

Yeah, it'd really help to have some more hype and information on this very obscure game about which we've received just about no coverage whatsoever.

Yoboman

ethelred said:
Yeah, it'd really help to have some more hype and information on this very obscure game about which we've received just about no coverage whatsoever.
I want to know what Edge has to say. :)

IzumiK

Banned
They probably had a news publisher sent to the MGS4 camp and he came back saying every other game sucks.:lol

Thus the low scores.

Haunted

I love the guessing games. Which game has tribal designs like that? New Kingdom Hearts?

Is that even a tribal.. or some sort of blue smoke? GAF sleuths should get to work.

thetrin said:
if you totally ignored my review of IAWW JP, sure.
I think most people did just that.
:eek: I've read it, I've read it!

FieryBalrog said:
But Nintendo cultists can die in a fire.
:lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm not fussed by their Mario Kart Wii score. It IS an improvement on the one they gave Double Dash!!, and as a Smash Bros. player I'm used to the games I actually enjoyed being marked down by them. Still though if it scored less than Mario Kart DS that gives me concern...

Also, I can't believe they gave Mario Kart Advance a 9. I felt that was the most boring entry in the series to date.

I would definitely like to know what they had to say about Fable 2. If anyone who has read the magazine would care to type up a synopsis that would be really cool.

batbeg

Christuserloeser said:
Probably.

Here are some screens from the game: http://kotaku.com/369680/soul-bubbles-gallery

- I would really love to hear what they have to say about it.

...you just replied to yourself.

And by the way, the dumber comment is because English-language scans have never been allowed, much less now that no scans of any nature are allowed. Hell, some mods even have problems with full type ups.

batbeg said:
English-language scans have never been allowed, much less now that no scans of any nature are allowed. Hell, some mods even have problems with full type ups.

Please ignore my previous posts then. I would still be interested in a brief summary on what they have to say about the game.

Link

The Autumn Wind
drakesfortune said:
Really? I get very nervous any time a Nintendo title doesn't get a 10 from every magazine in the world. The internets aren't safe for weeks afterward.
Please, it's more "Oh shit, Nintendo fans are gonna go fucking nuts, look out!!!" or "[insert game] is a piece of shit anyway, no surprise." than it is Nintendo fans reacting to it. Has anyone in this thread actually been a "Nintendo cultist" upset about the score? All I see are people saying they'll buy and enjoy the game anyway, and then just a bunch of trolls, such as someone saying to go die in a fire. Nice.

I'm loving the cover for this issue, looks great.

There was nothing that i saw from the MK Wii previews that told me it would do immensely well, even if it is a first party Nintendo-game with Mario in it.

MK DS deserved the score they gave it though.

Mario Kart - a 6? That's like a 9 anywhere else. Like others have said, EDGE scores games on a "5 is average" scale, so no one should really be upset over this.

TWEWY - an 8? That's like an 11 anywhere else. :D In all seriousness, I'm surprised that this game turned out to be so... good.

Their MK review doesn't really tell me much seeing as they scored it better than Double Dash which I loved, but worse than MK Advance, which I think is worse than both MK: DS and MK: DD.

It'll probably be much like the other reviews we've already seen...

- 12 racers is great for the new online experience, but makes the offline one worse
- They won't understand why non-team battle mode and such were ommited, and will say that is one of a few areas where they dropped the ball.

Fact still stands for me, this is a home-console online Mario Kart, with much much better online features than Mario Kart DS. I can see when my friends are online and playing, and I can spectate and drop in and out with them whenever I want. There are motion controls and new weapons, tracks and the stunts to get to grips with. It sounds good to me! :D

hokahey said:
MGS4 is the realistiks and MK is notz. U r the reasons people hatez tha nintendo fan! mario kartz has no titz or blood so fuck it. :D

Different strokes for different folks. I wouldn't be surprised if MK outsold MGS though which would actually lend credence to Harry's comment.

MGS3 has sold 3.96 million copies worldwide.

MKDD has sold 4.6 million copies world wide.

But yeah, a 5 for Double Dash? It's obvious that Edge aint too fond of the kiddiez games.

I fucking love 'em. A blue shell up all of your asses.

That's two Friends of Mario outed in the thread. Over/under on how many more will come forth?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
krypt0nian said:
That's two Friends of Mario outed in the thread. Over/under on how many more will come forth?

is it really so mysterious where people's affinities lie when they edit their avatars to tout their preferences? i mean, you don't need an oversized novelty magnifying glass to figure it out.

beelzebozo said:
is it really so mysterious where people's affinities lie when they edit their avatars to tout their preferences? i mean, you don't need an oversized novelty magnifying glass to figure it out.

There is a difference from normal Nintendo fan and glassy eyed Defender of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Narag

krypt0nian said:
There is a difference from normal Nintendo fan and glassy eyed Defender of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Is it really such a novelty to call them out compared to Sony fans/Cult of Rawr members or xbox fans/"xbots"?

batbeg

Narag said:
Is it really such a novelty to call them out compared to Sony fans/Cult of Rawr members or xbox fans/"xbots"?

Nintendo hate is irrational on GAF thanks to them killing gaming. As someone has said, this thread (and most like it) consist of 80 "OOOOH SHIT HITTING FAN LAWLZ NINFANS GONNA SPLOAD OVAH THIS SCORE!!" followed by, well, no meltdowns.

Narag

batbeg said:
Nintendo hate is irrational on GAF thanks to them killing gaming. As someone has said, this thread (and most like it) consist of 80 "OOOOH SHIT HITTING FAN LAWLZ NINFANS GONNA SPLOAD OVAH THIS SCORE!!" followed by, well, no meltdowns.

But that's like that in every thread, especially in 360/PS3 multiplatform games where people toss out the assertion meltdowns are incoming and few if any do come in but the joke replies are grabbed onto as banners to wave in a skirmish victory in system wars.

The haze exclusitivity thread was a good example of this. Ugh.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i don't see why people even bother acknowledging it if it bothers them so much. again, it's not as if it isn't patently obvious what people like--few make an effort to hide it, and agendas are thrust into the spotlight like badges of honor. ultimately all you succeed in doing is making yourself look silly.

you play in the mud with the piggies, you get muddy.

batbeg

Narag said:
But that's like that in every thread, especially in 360/PS3 multiplatform games where people toss out the assertion meltdowns are incoming and few if any do come in but the joke replies are grabbed onto as banners to wave in a skirmish victory in system wars.

The haze exclusitivity thread was a good example of this. Ugh.

Good point, and I will revise my statement: 9 out of 10 people are retarded.

Durante

thetrin said:
if you totally ignored my review of IAWW JP, sure.
You misunderstand: it's not unexpected at all to me that the game is good - I knew that, and reviews don't impact my game purchasing decisions anyway. What I found surprising is that a mainstream publication rates the game so highly (considering 8 in Edge really is high).

Hey guys, my avatar proudly displays my allegiance!

Good TWEWY score. Wish I could get some info on Knights in the Nightmare hype.

vermadas

The review of Mario Kart is expected and probably fair. I don't have much fun with the games any more when playing them solo. Too much weight given to the items and not enough to actual racing skill. That being said, the game is sure to be a hit with my fiancee and our (mostly non-gamer) friends.

Losing at the last second because of AI rubber-banding / unlucky recipient of a turtle shell in the ass? Damn frustrating.

Losing at the last second because the person sitting next to you who sucks at video games took you out with a blue shell? All in good fun!

Oh, and I'll agree with a few other posters that the battle mode in the SNES version is the most fun I've had playing any game in the series.

andthebeatgoeson

batbeg said:
I'm still waiting for the meltdowns. INCOMING!

...Any minute now.

...I'm sure they are coming.

hokahey

krypt0nian said:

I am quite fond of Nintendo's IP's, but I own or have owned just about every major system from the past twenty years or so. I'm a friend to no one except great games, and unlike some people, I don't fucking care if that game features cute characters or realistic properties so long as it's a fun game. I'd argue there are just as many anti-Nintendo cultists as Nintendo cultists, but no one would readily admit that.

Teknoman

hokahey said:
I am quite fond of Nintendo's IP's, but I own or have owned just about every major system from the past twenty years or so. I'm a friend to no one except great games, and unlike some people, I don't fucking care if that game features cute characters or realistic properties so long as it's a fun game. I'd argue there are just as many anti-Nintendo cultists as Nintendo cultists, but no one would readily admit that.

Im with Hokahey.

Top Bottom