• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Meet NeoGAF, the hardcore community shaping the games media agenda"

vidcons

Banned
if they ask you any loaded questions please respond with "Well how would you interpret this in the world of Bioshock."

do you know any girls who could cosplay as Elizabeth and thrown coins at your head during the interview?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm a little confused by the people who think we're getting recognition through this. Unless I'm not picking up on the sarcasm. No blame should be on NeoGAF for Orth's fall. Nor anything else detective Gaf uncovers. We're not destroying anything by doing more legwork than the outlets themselves. We're finding answers.

I thought they just meant that the comments would have gone unnoticed without the Gaf thread as opposed to meaning that Orth was sacked because Gaf was unhappy with him.

LiK

I don't agree with Edge's characterization of NeoGAF's involvement whatsoever, but that's their prerogative. I think we can probably agree that the story of Orth's Twitter comments broke here and was picked up by the major news outlets as a result, and that there was a universal outcry on NeoGAF about those Twitter comments which painted Microsoft (via the person representing it) in an unfavorable light, but that's a bit different than "NeoGAF got Orth fired."

I also boggle at the notion of NeoGAF as basically this outrageously bloodthirsty Anon-like 4chan analogue that finds targets and lynches them, but what can ya do. That's a typical characterization from casual observers, though.

Wait, all that blood I drank was for nothing?

HappyHunting

Neo Member
I don't agree with Edge's characterization of NeoGAF's involvement whatsoever, but that's their prerogative. I think we can probably agree that the story of Orth's Twitter comments broke here and was picked up by the major news outlets as a result, and that there was a universal outcry on NeoGAF about those Twitter comments which painted Microsoft (via the person representing it) in an unfavorable light, but that's a bit different than "NeoGAF got Orth fired."

I also boggle at the notion of NeoGAF as basically this outrageously bloodthirsty Anon-like 4chan analogue that finds targets and lynches them, but what can ya do. That's a typical characterization from casual observers, though.

Orth's fate was unfortunately sealed as soon as he got tweet diarhea. GAF just made sure that everyone knew about it.

I completely agree. I think it's funny how they're ever-so-slightly alluding to the fact that we got the man fired, yet, if we didn't make a fuss about what this guy said/implied no outlets would've covered it at all. I think that's the real problem. These guys shouldn't be waiting to see what outrages us (especially when we're always reminded that we're the "vocal minority") to write a damn story.

ToxicAdam

It's kind of understandable at videogame journalists hostility towards GAF. The users aggregate all their work and make it the premier news gathering entity and they are usually hostile towards bad writers or joke publications (which compromises about 70-80% of them).

RedAssedApe

Banned
Immortalise this with a gif and you are golden!

This one is still my favorite.

GAj0o.gif

I like this place a lot because of the news I can get... and because no one is faster than Wario, but I don't like A LOT of you *crawls back to 4chan*

Durante

Hmm, if GAF was really "shaping the games media agenda" you would have expected more of them to report on the RPG camp kickstarter story.

It's kind of understandable at videogame journalists hostility towards GAF. The users aggregate all their work and make it the premier news gathering entity and they are usually hostile towards bad writers or joke publications (which compromises about 70-80% of them).

Actually, outlets love when their story gets its own thread on here. They hate us because we do their job better than them.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
"...might just be NeoGAF’s defining moment, for better or worse"???

Dude, Superkyro.

Superkyro

Chaplain

Not sure if just for GAF , basically all the media was leaking lots of rumors , MS needed to stop them somehow.

I agree about the previous rumors. But if Detective-GAF hadn't uncovered the twitter post from Adam Orth, the leaks from this week would have never occurred. In my view.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
GAF's ability to make topics visible sure is uncanny. I'm not sure if that's good or just sad that the people who's jobs it is to make videogames visible rely on outside forums to break news.

This definitely speaks to the severe lack of serious videogame experts that can be used to shape conversation.

The Jason

Yeah, and such a characterization undermines the legitimacy of our particular cause of concern. We go after issues, not people. We only go after people who attach themselves to an issue.

I dont think the article intends to suggest this, but its possible to be interpreted in that way by some.

cdyhybrid

I demand that Blizzard reinstate Lurkers in SC2 multiplayer or else I'll do some terrible things that may or may not include making a thread about it on NeoGAF.

honest question, how many users do you think you've perma banned?

I always wondered do the mods have to ask first before doing that, or is it their own free playground?

I haven't been here that long but i remember reading an old mod, Dragona?, would ban people left and right for really no big reason. Haha.

bill0527

Had no idea we were such an exclusive club.

I joined 8-9 years ago and got on the waiting list like everyone else.

I was just looking for a place to read gaming news and post the occasional comment without having to continue paying IGNs $25 annual fee, which I paid for years and it was mostly just so I could post on their forum.

So how much is a GAF account in good standing worth on eBay?

not selling mine

Ashodin

Nothing more really to say but my own GIF

imFS8x9L6HxOa.gif

Deal with it, Believe, all that jazz.

I've conversed with EviLore waaaaaaaaaay back in the day and played some CS:S heavily with him and warcack, fun times.

Definitely don't like the way they're painting the site, but it's their own prerogative, so eh.

Looking forward to NeoGAF cribs, Evil :p

K.Sabot

Don't really think we're that important / powerful, but at least I think we're more powerful than let's say... gamefaqs forums, gametrailers forums, gamespot forums, sonydefenceforce.com, or 4chan(maybe).

Actually I doubt we're more influential than 4chan.

Durante

I just read the entire article, and I don't think it's that bad overall. Of course it falls into the hive-mind trap, and it does paint a far more negative picture than I would, but at least it acknowledges that GAF often beats "gaming journalism" at its own, well, game.

Also, I learned from this that EviLore and I are the same age, I didn't really expect that.

VinLAURiA

Banned
The industry being shaped by a bunch of spec-crazed Kaz Hirai worshipers. Yeah, that's a good idea. What's next, listening to NGG? Can't wait for Dark Souls 17.

Ashler

Don't really think we're that important / powerful, but at least I think we're more powerful than let's say... gamefaqs forums, gametrailers forums, gamespot forums, sonydefenceforce.com, or 4chan(maybe).

I would choose a word like 'influential' over 'powerful'

iamvin22

Industry Verified
I really wish this article never published. Now game devs will monitor their employees and push for staff to avoid GAF.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
We did it guys. We're in charge now.

With our newfound power, I'll command CliffyB to develop a new Jazz Jackrabbit game. And Tim Schafer to rob a bank and make Psychonauts 2.

water1111

Banned
I always wondered do the mods have to ask first before doing that, or is it their own free playground?

I haven't been here that long but i remember reading an old mod, Dragona?, would ban people left and right for really no big reason. Haha.

The lesser mods like duckroll and eatchildren probably have to consult with the other mods to perma someone, the system admins like bish and evilore can permaban whoever they want, I think they're the ones that kill juniors like yourself.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
What that article got right is that this forum can and has been influential and that lots of gaming industry folks, including press, read it. Doy. No argument from me there.

But by beginning the article with "Orth's apparent departure from Microsoft...might just be NeoGAF's defining moment" directly states (even with weasely hedge words like "might just be") that, somehow, GAF bears some responsibility. This is what annoys me. The reality here is that he was probably doomed from the moment he tweeted, regardless of whether NeoGAF picked it up or not. A tweet does not necessarily have to "go viral" to cause an internal company shitstorm. Believe me. All it takes is one pissed off exec to see it to doom you. Did GAF help spread the story and make more folks aware of the tweets? Of course. Has GAF made news out of meltdowns within the forum itself, like Jeff Bell. Yes.

But to begin the article, and then expand on it thruout, with the notion (whether implied or not) that this forum LED to the dismissal is simplistic at best. With all due respect to the obvious power that this community DOES have, this was not "NeoGAF's defining moment." I personally have nothing against the guy and feel for what happened to him (especially as someone who's stuck his own foot in his mouth on Twitter, more than once.) But if this was anyone's "defining moment," it was his.

In the end, I guess I'm saying, as a former editor, that if it was my job, I'd have written a piece on the undeniable influence of this place, without taking the extra, ridiculous step of saying it cost a man his job. That was all on one person and one person alone.

TommyT

The camera crew is coming to my apartment tomorrow. Which means that I should probably tidy up right about now ;b

Paging SunhiLegend to make a .gif from the Chapelle Show skit with Wayne Brady introducing Dave to the "bitches."

Brady = Evilore
Dave = GameTrailers
... you can do as you please with the rest.

Top Bottom