• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

RINEMY.png

Holy shit.

You would think after numerous developers came out and said the PS4 was significantly more powerful this thread would have died. Apparently not

Lol. I think one of the reason this thread is still open is to lure in trolls so the mods can snipe them.

Shamelessly quoting myself.

IIRC branching on GPU's has been improving in rather large strides, i'm pretty sure they don't suffer from the same branch mis prediction as the CPU can as they don't attempt to predict branches (Im not 100% sure on this). Then again branch mispredictions aren't that big a deal on modern x86 processors such as jaguar as they have a shallow pipeline (iirc the branch misprediction penalty was 13 cycles).

But yes I agree a lot of the CPU performance has 0 to do with the actual algorithm your using (and its complexity) and more to do with how good your access pattern is, what kind of cache hit rate you are getting and how well you handle synchronisation (for multi core algos)

Its a bit of a false dichotomy to compare CPU and GPU FLOPs I agree with that too there is a pretty wise division among them but they are suited or massively different tasks, and most rarely translate well over to the other (I can see more GPU algos running decently on the CPU then the other way around), but to a degree it works, to what degree is anyones guess but its better then nothing.

Haha yeah. This is why huma is gonna be great since it's gonna allow the cpu and gpu to work together without having to worry too much about memory problems. Especially with fine-grained compute as described Cerny. It's gonna be difficult but who know what the geniuses at ICE team will do.

Melchiah

Hey guys.

To be blunt both of these consoles are going to be extremely similar to each other in terms of performance. If anyone is making a purchase of one over the other based on these measures alone, STOP.
The gap difference between the consoles and your computer you are using is probably bigger than pitting the PS4/XB1 against each other.

I'm not calling anyone out.. I just want to make a point and leave my 2 cents. Don't let gaming journalism play with your head.

Five years old laptop with 9600M GT 512mb here, which is barely on par with the PS3. It's beyond me why people compare the consoles to PCs, as the majority of gamers don't play on them. They have no experience of the current PC versions of games, which is why next gen IS a huge leap for them.

charsace

*checks rinemy's email account*
*immediately recognizes Microsoft partnership*
*calls to wife for advice on how to spell 'disingenuous' for the ban message*
*goes back to playing GTA V*

I only posted in here to quote this. Sick burn and a boot out the door to end it.

If you think that's impressive, you should check out his reddit account.

Oh man...I had to. The one on Titanfall is amazing. Just a few lines:

If you want an idea of what Killzone: Shadowfall looked like... let's say it looked similar to that of Resistance 2 (PS3) Textures weren't as smooth and had rough edges on the enviroment on things such as plants and palm trees. With that being said, this is a PC build so know the expectations might change.

My first titan fall experience: I'm an atheist/agnostic person but lets say when my Titan landed I had a moment to myself where it felt like Jesus had returned

http://www.reddit.com/user/rinemie

Bish, I may never forgive you for banning this poster. We may have finally had another Doom Bringer-level poster on these boards. I feel you've deprived us all many hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Melchiah

It's from the finale...but it really shows absolutely nothing.

Why the fuck would anyone post a gif from the Dexter finale less than a week after its showing?! It's revealing enough to be considered a spoiler;
going by the expression, Dexter probably heard something related to his close ones, so now anyone who sees it knows there's something bound to happen to some of them
; and IMO banworthy. I absolutely hate this habit of posting gifs of just aired TV series on completely unrelated threads. There's no way to avoid them, like the official threads about the series, where gifs like that should be confined in.

Perkel

Banned
It's 9% and it gives exactly 9% more cycles for devs to use. What they do with it, I don't know, but giving PC benchmarks is useless.

Useless ? It is the same damn thing. 9% boost is really small from CPU standpoint especially weak CPU.
Real boost would be at least 20-30% to feel really that boost.

And to think when the next gen rumors started you were saying the Durango would be stronger than the Orbis. I love the twists and turns leading up to a new console, nothing quite like it.

Indeed. It's crazy to see how differently this has worked out than some people's expectations preceding these consoles' announcements. The overwhelming belief back then was that Sony wouldn't manage to create a better gaming machine than Microsoft. This perspective was quite reasonable, as MS had built up a lot of goodwill over the intervening console generation (minus some discontent at their increased focus on Kinect titles).

Then came the massive MS meltdown. Everyone saw a humbled Sony's vision for the future paired against a suddenly massively anti-consumer Microsoft. I know I was absolutely nonplussed. I'm pretty sure I haven't seen so many policy reversals prior to a product's launch.

Now we've arrived at a point where gamer sentiment has largely shifted against Microsoft, while Sony seem to be in the good graces of many. A point where it seems that Sony's console is not only more powerful, but also easier to develop for. A point where their console is actually CHEAPER, something that I know I certainly didn't predict (just look at old prediction threads for kicks). It's amazing how much things can change in a few months; I certainly wouldn't have put any money down on such an outcome.

It has to be a hard time to be a staunch Xbox fan, likely to the same degree that it was for Sony fans in 2006. I'd imagine that if you loved the experiences you had with that brand, you could feel compelled to defend it, like many would reasonably want to do for their hobbies. Just looking at a scattering of other forums (like N4G), it's sad to see how disheartened some posters are by the lack of good news on the Xbox front. Just as it was in 2006 with Sony fans.

The issue with this shift is that it has left several posters with no recourse but to claim that certain forums are unfairly biased against their console of choice. The problem with that line of thinking is that it implies that this sentiment against MS is unearned. It isn't, just like the discontent with Sony was also warranted in 2006.

I hope that MS can turn it around, because I'm a fan of games--any major games company fucking up is bad for gaming. It's going to take time for MS to regain the ground they've lost, but damn am I excited for that journey! I believe that a MS that is aggressively trying to win back the gaming community is more likely to increase their output, resulting in more games on the market. Any value that they decide to add to patch the wound is just icing on the cake.

szaromir

Banned
Useless ? It is the same damn thing. 9% boost is really small from CPU standpoint especially weak CPU.
Real boost would be at least 20-30% to feel really that boost.
Choosing arbitrary numbers to state what would make a tangible difference without anything to back it is laughable. 9% more CPU cycles is 9% more CPU cycles, nothing less, nothing more.

Oh man...I had to. The one on Titanfall is amazing. Just a few lines:

http://www.reddit.com/user/rinemie

Bish, I may never forgive you for banning this poster. We may have finally had another Doom Bringer-level poster on these boards. I feel you've deprived us all many hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Doom Bringer, now why is it that I remember this particular id, wait a second is it the forum poster from gamersyde?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IMHO this is totally up to public perception...seriously, for things like this, perception IS reality.

This is why it is critically important for Microsoft to try to shape public opinion on this now...it sure looks like there are actual hardware advantages in reality, but if they can sway public opinion, it will be the developers that will bear the brunt of the negativity if they release superior PS4 versions.

Good post. But MS aren't doing any swaying of opinion. I guess if they *do* moneyhat third parties to force technical parity in early games! they might be able to change that perception initially! which could influence longer term. They might not even need to do that with cross gen stuff though - they won't show the strengths of either platform.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
Why the fuck would anyone post a gif from the Dexter finale less than a week after its showing?! It's revealing enough to be considered a spoiler;
going by the expression, Dexter probably heard something related to his close ones, so now anyone who sees it knows there's something bound to happen to some of them
; and IMO banworthy. I absolutely hate this habit of posting gifs of just aired TV series on completely unrelated threads. There's no way to avoid them, like the official threads about the series, where gifs like that should be confined in.

I hear ya man and I'm 100% with you on that shit. If it makes you feel any better, that particular gif has nothing to do with what you described. <3

Good post. But MS aren't doing any swaying of opinion. I guess if they *do* moneyhat third parties to force technical parity in early games! they might be able to change that perception initially! which could influence longer term. They might not even need to do that with cross gen stuff though - they won't show the strengths of either platform.
Sony found out brand loyalty didn't carry over between generations, and Nintendo has been taught that lesson also. Several other companies learned the lesson so well they left the console hardware business altogether. MS hasn't had it hit them in the face yet, at least not in the console department, but it's bound happen this generation to some extent.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Choosing arbitrary numbers to state what would make a tangible difference without anything to back it is laughable. 9% more CPU cycles is 9% more CPU cycles, nothing less, nothing more.

You're right, I don't see why people are arguing against you. It is faster, therefore (assuming both systems have the same number of cores reserved for the OS), Xbox will have slightly more CPU power

Do we have any information on whether devs get to use all of that (6 cores)? Eg for the GPU 10% is reserved in case of SNAP mode. Is any CPU reserved, or do OS apps being snapped have to run using the already reserved OS cores?

beast786

Although I am getting both consoles (cuz of first party games) I have a preference for XB1.
I strongly believe 3-4 years after console launches the Xbox One people will start to understand the Xbox One, what the digital push actually meant for gamers and how it will be to their benefit.

Plus if previous console history holds up we will see more evolution of services/content added on the xbox end.

B_Boss

Although I am getting both consoles (cuz of first party games) I have a preference for XB1.
I strongly believe 3-4 years after console launches the Xbox One people will start to understand the Xbox One, what the digital push actually meant for gamers and how it will be to their benefit.

Plus if previous console history holds up we will see more evolution of services/content added on the xbox end.

What a jackass lol....bish took care o' this one though. Good riddance....

Top Bottom