• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

Don't think it will. I have high hopes for the eventual sequel.

I had an issue with the 30fps but last night I watched some high quality direct feed footage and I don't mind as much. It looks really good imo. And yeah I don't think it'll hit 60 either

Oh! There is an ignore list? How does it work? I'm new here. Would like to ignore you.

You click on the person's name and the options come up. The last option is ignore. You won't see any posts by that person

A month or so back, MS were getting back on track, message wise.

For some reason, they chose to go head first into a specs battle with the PS4, it back fired when devs came out with off the record comments about the systems' relative power.

Now, another battlefront has opened up with the resolution issue. There's no need for it, it's counterproductive.

Xbox One has unique selling points, whether they appeal to you personally, is neither here, nor there. They should have stuck to their message - and all this week's from release.

Was catching up on the thread and about to say the same thing, more or less. Good post.

I'll make a comparison. If anyone in this thread is or was a fan of professional wrestling, there was a company in the 90s named ECW. They never had the money or the national exposure of the other two big wrestling companies. They never sold out big arenas or had a huge marketing presence. But a lot of people would argue, they introduced a superior wrestling product to anything available in the US at the time. The owner/mastermind behind the promotion would always say in interviews talking about their brand, "Accentuate the positives. Hide the negatives."

I feel MS should have done a better job at that. There are things that both Sony and MS are doing better than each other, not just in the upcoming generation, but with the current as well. The 360 had the better multiplayer experience with Live and for a lot of the generation, better looking multi-plats due to easier development on their platform. Sony churned out, IMO, much better and more varied console exclusives that look better than anything on the 360. As for this upcoming generation, a lot remains to be seen. But it's really not debatable at the moment that, 1. The PS4 hardware is significantly more powerful and more capable, for less money and 2. This power difference is most likely going to be very clear with the launch titles.

But, there are certain things I'm sure the XB1 is going to have a better time with. The problem for me is, I really have NO idea what those are. It's not that MS is making a poor effort into accentuating their positives, they just haven't exactly said exactly *what* those points are just yet. They highlight Kinect 2 as something groundbreaking, but have shown 0 Kinect 2 gaming experiences, since there are no Kinect focused games coming until well into 2014. They have HDMI passthrough which doesn't really do much other than lay a skin on top of your cable or satellite service. And that's really all I got.

And to make matters worse, instead of coming up with points to highlight what would make me take any interest in the system, they are still continuing to fight the specs/graphics battle, which they will always be on the losing side of, no matter how it's spun. It's just a mess of a message right now.

viveks86

Day one patch seems like a bit of a stretch. I just want to know if the pre-order bonuses will be available as unlocks in-game.

Doubt it. When they were announced, they were announced as pre-order exclusives. May be they would change their mind down the line and release them as DLC.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sorry, chap. Voicing displeasure works. We wouldn't have the PS4 sitting pretty with virtually every damn negative point about the PS3 taken into consideration for the PS4's overall design straight down to the controller aesthetics if we didn't speak our minds.

I'm pretty sure it was PS3's sales figures that caused them to change everything, not the feedback. You know, pretty much exactly like Xbone.
cat_zpsa5a1f50a.png

Cryoflar3

Didn't say they need to report, but a month away from a console launch you don't think MS knows the state those launch titles are in?

True he should have an idea, but I wouldn't expect him to know specifics.

Seems like some reasonable assumptions as to why he would know right there, also you could add the fact that Albert began this conversation and so would presumably have information regarding the matter. If a Microsoft executive does not have information regarding the Specifications of third party titles on XB1, it seems it would be a silly thing to ask the community, in what could easily be considered a official capacity.

EDIT Also developers provide feedback to Microsoft who in turn update tools and clarify API's with the developer, we also know Microsoft have an engineer who regularly drives to the DR3 studio to help out, It really isn't that crazy of an assumption to make.

Okay I see your point.

viveks86

Didn't say they need to report, but a month away from a console launch you don't think MS knows the state those launch titles are in?

They would report. As Albert said, he might not know specifics. This actually happens in these companies. I've worked with some of them. Client project specifics are not discussed across divisions. Albert is in product planning, not third party relations. It is reasonable for him to not know.

Iacobellis

I had an issue with the 30fps but last night I watched some high quality direct feed footage and I don't mind as much. It looks really good imo. And yeah I don't think it'll hit 60 either

You click on the person's name and the options come up. The last option is ignore. You won't see any posts by that person

Oh, it looks really good. Best looking next-gen racer that's been announced so far, in my opinion. I'm just scared from posts on different threads with speculation that the game is strictly 1v1 races. That's what the gameplay videos have depicted, anyways.

Doubt it. When they were announced, they were announced as pre-order exclusives. May be they would change their mind down the line and release them as DLC.

I hope. I want the PS+ edition but don't want to miss out on extra content.

marvin83

Banned
That doesn't matter as the games have to go gold and begin pressing in a few weeks. They aren't going to magically go from 720p to 1080p within a week.

Launch Xbone games should be done VERY soon. They have to have games go gold 4-6 weeks before launch and they now 5 weeks left.

viveks86

Oh, it looks really good. Best looking next-gen racer that's been announced so far, in my opinion. I'm just scared from posts on different threads with speculation that the game is strictly 1v1 races. That's what the gameplay videos have depicted, anyways.

Don't worry about that. They have specifically responded to such speculation by confirming there would be races with up to 12 cars.

SHADES

this thread is hilarious and makes no sense for me, i can only see half of the posts because all the warriors i have on my ignore list.

I don't see any warriors just people asking legitimate questions & a few solid explanations, but your input was invalid, bravo.

why would 3rd parties report to MS about the development about their game aside from some assistance? I don't see any reason why they'd need to.
Really? There are heaps of reasons.

As a platform holder you should know what the people publishing on your platform are doing, if they're happy, if they're having issues, what their thoughts are on things that you're developing into your platform.

For a console launch it is vital that you keep in communication with your third party publishers. You also need to know what they're doing so you can think about your marketing and things of that nature.

They don't need to give every detail and every feature in the games they're making, but they will need to give a high level overview.

viveks86

Seems like some reasonable assumptions as to why he would know right there, also you could add the fact that Albert began this conversation and so would presumably have information regarding the matter. If a Microsoft executive does not have information regarding the Specifications of third party titles on XB1, it seems it would be a silly thing to ask the community, in what could easily be considered a official capacity.

EDIT Also developers provide feedback to Microsoft who in turn update tools and clarify API's with the developer, we also know Microsoft have an engineer who regularly drives to the DR3 studio to help out, It really isn't that crazy of an assumption to make.

Disagree, Skeff. That's not how it works. Releasing information about the frame rate of a game is the developer/publisher's prerogative. Companies like EA and Capcom fall under "third party relations". Most big companies have an internal code that prohibits exchange of information about their partners/clients internally, because they could be competing against each other. So any information reported to Microsoft will not (or at least should not) go beyond the account manager for that third party, until said information is made publicly available. If it does get exchanged within Microsoft, it will make them liable to a lawsuit.

Albert isn't even involved in third party relations, let alone specific accounts. He is in product planning. Even if he somehow knows about the frame rate of BF4 (I actually doubt it), admitting it is suicide.

Now why did he bring up this conversation in the first place? That's the million dollar question. For all we know, he was just being naive, not realizing how it would be interpreted. Considering the repeated mistakes he has been making on Gaf, I find this a reasonable explanation.

Oh please most of these MS threads are the same crap over and over and over, a lot of people who say how much they dislike it and wont buy it but post in every one of those threads every chance they get to keep on criticizing it. How this thread is even still going is beyond me.

Thread whining? Thread whining.

viveks86

Oh damn -> #30Days

This release is sneaking up one me.

Also, since Adam Boyes is in publisher and developer relations and has mentioned 30 days, he could be referring to a third party launch game running at 1080p60 on the PS4. Given the timing and context, it could be a game that isn't doing the same on the Xbox. Wonder which one.

Also, since Adam Boyes is in publisher and developer relations and has mentioned 30 days, he could be referring to a third party launch game running on 1080p60 on the PS4. Given the timing and context, it could be a game that isn't doing the same on the Xbox. Wonder which one.

You're really reaching there. He would likely have no idea what resolution the XB1 version of a game would be running at.

viveks86

You're really reaching there. He would likely have no idea what resolution the XB1 version of a game would be running at.

Point taken. He could be referring to a game whose frame rate has been publicly discussed though, such as BF4. Is it not reasonable for him to assume BF4 will not be running 1080p on the xbox one, after all that chaos on twitter?

I'm sorry that peoples' lack of understanding of our team works, gets translated into me being disingenuous.

OF COURSE we have a 3rd party team that works very closely with publishers.

That team is organizationally separate from the rest of us. Why? Because that team deals with very sensitive information. Remember, we are both a competitor and a partner to our publishers.

To preserve that balance, our 3rd party team isn't in the habit of doling out information to the rest of the team, including me, whenever we want. I don’t get to walk over there and see whatever I want, or get these types of questions answered because of my position.

So what do you want to be true? That I can walk over and get any piece of information I want about any 3rd party game? Or that the IP of our partners is secured organizationally so publishers are confident that what they share with that team remains confidential?

Because the latter part is true. So yes, a lot of these details I will get near the same time the game actually ships.

So let's use some common sense. Almost nobody that works on Xbox knows details of 3rd party games besides that team.

You are a competitor to 3rd parties that are producing exclusive titles or at least exclusive content for the xbox one?

Disagree, Skeff. That's not how it works. Releasing information about the frame rate of a game is the developer/publisher's prerogative. Companies like EA and Capcom fall under "third party relations". Most big companies have an internal code that prohibits exchange of information about their partners/clients internally, because they could be competing against each other. So any information reported to Microsoft will not (or at least should not) go beyond the account manager for that third party, until said information is made publicly available. If it does get exchanged within Microsoft, it will make them liable to a lawsuit.

Albert isn't event involved in third party relations, let alone specific accounts. He is in product planning. Even if he somehow knows about the frame rate of BF4 (I actually doubt it), admitting it is suicide.

Now why did he bring up this conversation in the first place? That's the million dollar question. For all we know, he was just being naive, not realizing how it would be interpreted. Considering the repeated mistakes he has been making on Gaf, I find this a reasonable explanation.

Albert is alot smarter than some people give him credit for. He doesn't just go on twitter and ask the world to provide a list for no reason. I am pretty certain that most if not all multiplatform launch titles will be running at the same resolution on the XB1 and the PS4. If that will be the case for the 2nd wave of titles, who knows.

We made a list of confirmed resolutions, but Albert sure as shit wouldn't want to look at it:

Forza: 1080p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
CoD:DoG 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4
Fifa 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ference-between-current-gen-and-next-gen-fifa
Ryse: 900p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
KI: 720p - http://gamingbolt.com/killer-instin...s-removed-or-optimized-praises-xbox-one-cloud
DR3: Dynamic bullshit - actually unable to find a solid link on this, many available but no direct dev comments could be found easily. - Albert could clarify if he wanted to, even if he didn't know it would be 1 phonecall away.

Driveclub: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
KZ:SF: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Knack: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Infamous: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
the Order: 1920x800 (artistic- 2.40 cinema aspect ratio, retains 1:1 pixel mapping) - Seriously, the resolution of this one is everywhere, find it yourself :p
ACIV: 1080p - constantly referred to as 1080p, eurogamer comment here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-assassins-creed-4
CoD:DoG 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4
Fifa 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ference-between-current-gen-and-next-gen-fifa
Resogun: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resogun
Flower: 1080p - https://twitter.com/TDMoss/status/385907407475314688 - talks about 60fps in tweet but in comments confirms 1080p
DC:UO 1080p - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/e3-2013-dcuo-plans-to-remain-completely-free-on-ps4/
FF14 1080p - http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...-fps-1080p-equivalent-to-highest-pc-settings/
Blacklight Retribution 1080p - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/06/hands-on-with-blacklight-retribution-for-playstation-4/

They are just about the only confirmed resolutions out there.

EDIT: If anyone provides a valid link with a developer quote or a pixel analysis I'll add the game to the list.

This list is a little disingenuous. Flower? You might as well add Lococycle and Peggle 2 while you're at it.

Just because we haven't heard the resolution for a game, doesn't mean it's sub 1080.

You are a competitor to 3rd parties that are producing exclusive titles or at least exclusive content for the xbox one?
I think he means MS make games, third parties make games so a third party isn't going to run to Microsoft and say hey were making a game with radioactive clowns in it at 1080p because they might steal the idea or whatever.

But they'd be out of their mind to do that.

This list is a little disingenuous. Flower? You might as well add Lococycle and Peggle 2 while you're at it.

Just because we haven't heard the resolution for a game, doesn't mean it's sub 1080.

Where on the list does Skeff suggest a title is sub 1080p because we haven't heard the resolution of a game?

stryke

It's even more disingenuous to report things as fact without confirmation, no matter how obvious it may be.

viveks86

Albert is alot smarter than some people give him credit for. He doesn't just go on twitter and ask the world to provide a list for no reason. I am pretty certain that most if not all multiplatform launch titles will be running at the same resolution on the XB1 and the PS4. If that will be the case for the 2nd wave of titles, who knows.

Of course he is smart. No doubt. But he doesn't necessarily understand the implications of his comments. Doesn't make him stupid. It's just not his area of expertise (probably why he switched from PR/marketing to product planning). The reactions to his comments on gaf as well as websites like Ars is proof of that. Also, not like it's unprecedented. A lot of smart and talented people say silly things on twitter. It's the side effect of having instant access to the internet. Words go out before thoughts take full form.

With regard to multi platform launch titles having parity, your guess is as good as mine. So I will not argue on that point, since I have no evidence to back my "hunch". I too think that most multi platform titles will have parity, however I'm not remotely certain of it. Will know for sure in a month. :)

hawk2025

My only problem with the whole "we don't really know what third parties are doing" (paraphrased) is that his initial approach to posting about the power parity of both consoles had a lot of mentions of what third parties were supposedly telling them.

Of course he is smart. No doubt. But he is not a PR guy. He doesn't necessarily understand the implications of his comments. Doesn't make him stupid. It's just not his area of expertise. The reactions to his comments on gaf as well as websites like Ars is proof of that. Also, not like it's unprecedented. A lot of smart and talented people say silly things on twitter. It's the side effect of having instant access to the internet. Words go out before thoughts take full form.

With regard to multi platform launch titles having forced parity, your guess is as good as mine. So I will not argue on that point, since I have no evidence to back my "hunch". Will know for sure in a month. :)

Edit: Thanks for correction Viveks86

Of course he is smart. No doubt. But he is not a PR guy. He doesn't necessarily understand the implications of his comments. Doesn't make him stupid. It's just not his area of expertise. The reactions to his comments on gaf as well as websites like Ars is proof of that. Also, not like it's unprecedented. A lot of smart and talented people say silly things on twitter. It's the side effect of having instant access to the internet. Words go out before thoughts take full form.

With regard to multi platform launch titles having forced parity, your guess is as good as mine. So I will not argue on that point, since I have no evidence to back my "hunch". Will know for sure in a month. :)
His background is marketing and PR...

pushBAK

We made a list of confirmed resolutions, but Albert sure as shit wouldn't want to look at it:

Forza: 1080p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
Ryse: 900p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
KI: 720p - http://gamingbolt.com/killer-instin...s-removed-or-optimized-praises-xbox-one-cloud
DR3: Dynamic bullshit - actually unable to find a solid link on this, many available but no direct dev comments could be found easily. - Albert could clarify if he wanted to, even if he didn't know it would be 1 phonecall away.

Driveclub: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
KZ:SF: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Knack: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Infamous: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
the Order: 1920x800 (artistic- 2.40 cinema aspect ratio, retains 1:1 pixel mapping) - Seriously, the resolution of this one is everywhere, find it yourself :p
ACIV: 1080p - constantly referred to as 1080p, eurogamer comment here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-assassins-creed-4
Resogun: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resogun
Flower: 1080p - https://twitter.com/TDMoss/status/385907407475314688 - talks about 60fps in tweet but in comments confirms 1080p
DC:UO 1080p - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/e3-2013-dcuo-plans-to-remain-completely-free-on-ps4/
FF14 1080p - http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...-fps-1080p-equivalent-to-highest-pc-settings/
Blacklight Retribution 1080p - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/06/hands-on-with-blacklight-retribution-for-playstation-4/

They are just about the only confirmed resolutions out there.

EDIT: If anyone provides a valid link with a developer quote or a pixel analysis I'll add the game to the list.

Thank you for this.

beast786

Albert out of no where openly ask for list , the same day watch dog gets a big delay right before it goes gold.

Won't be surprise the extra time to equalize xb1 version to ps4 standard .

EDIT: let me take that back, makes more sense if they spread love to next fiscal year

Top Bottom