• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

This list is a little disingenuous. Flower? You might as well add Lococycle and Peggle 2 while you're at it.

Just because we haven't heard the resolution for a game, doesn't mean it's sub 1080.

It's a list of GAMES coming out for both platforms. When we have lococycle and peggle2 resolutions, someone will add them to the list.

It's a list with citations.

We could very well assume all indie titles would be 1080p, but without citations, it's merely conjecture, even if it's 99% almost definitely 1080p.

Surely FIFA 14 is 1080p on both? How can it be confirmed or mentioned for PS4 and not X1?

That list is just for next gen games in general

It applies to both versions unless otherwise stated

If you read the article cited it states both

Fifa is 1080P on XB1 which I just realize is interesting

viveks86

Practice makes perfect... eventually.

True! Gaf can be so demanding if you choose to take a stand, especially when your stand goes against the grain! For all the stuff I've been saying the last few hours, I don't even know if a single soul agrees. LOL...

FuturusX

I see. Thanks.

1080p is so vaunted. It will be interesting to see which games can make the grade and the sacrifices needed to get there.

marvin83

Banned
True! Gaf can be so demanding if you choose to take a stand, especially when your stand goes against the grain! For all the stuff I've been saying the last few hours, I don't even know if a single soul agrees. LOL...

For someone with a background in PR, it's very hard to tell that from what he says. Maybe people just don't think before they type much anymore.

CLEEK

It will be funny if the WiiU has more 1080p games than the Xbone. It looks to be that way when just looking at the launch Xbox games.

viveks86

For someone with a background in PR, it's very hard to tell that from what he says. Maybe people just don't think before they type much anymore.

Totally agree. Hope you aren't referring to my posts though. ;)

Especially twitter is such a double edged sword. People just post stuff without realizing the whole world is watching. Even worse when you belong to a high profile company. I don't feel sorry for Albert. For continuing to make such mistakes, the reactions he receives are understandable. But I don't think his comments are based on deception and double-speak. Wish he would stop and focus on product "planning", which, from the looks of it, has its own set of fires to fight!

FuturusX

He's just explained how he doesn't know it.
He doesn't believe him, clearly.

EDIT: Is Albert a community manager at this point? I mean, we are awfully close to launch doesn't he have some planning to take care or something?

I kid thee Mr Panello...but seriously aren't you busy?

marvin83

Banned
Totally agree. Hope you aren't referring to my posts though. ;)

Especially twitter is such a double edged sword. People just post stuff without realizing the whole world is watching. Even worse when you belong to a high profile company. I don't feel sorry for Albert. For continuing to make such mistakes, the reactions he receives are understandable. But I don't think his comments are based on deception and double-speak. Wish he would stop and focus on product "planning", which, from the looks of it, has its own set of fires to fight!

Haha, no, it wasn't directed at you :p

But seriously. Since he mentions his role with MS is product planning for hardware, accessories, etc, but doesn't know the capabilities of the hardware itself is mind boggling. I'm honestly just baffled at this point.

tfur

It continues to be a mess coming out of Microsoft. Quite an embarrassment.
Nothing short of a house cleaning will make a difference.

Pain

Banned
I haven't actually seen any 3rd party game have their native resolution confirmed...isn't that what we were complaining about the past few weeks? About how some devs could stick to 900p on both consoles due to political reasons?

EDIT: Just saw the list. Funny thing is that this quote from a FIFA dev:

"There were two things we did straight away," said Rutter. "One was bump it up to 1080p and see if it made a difference, because 1080p's expensive. It's a lot of graphics. We were sceptical going into it, but came out being glad we did it, because it makes a significant difference. That was the most performance expensive thing we did initially."
And who said resolution doesn't matter or that people wouldn't notice a difference?

viveks86

Haha, no, it wasn't directed at you :p

But seriously. Since he mentions his role with MS is product planning for hardware, accessories, etc, but doesn't know the capabilities of the hardware itself is mind boggling. I'm honestly just baffled at this point.

That's the drawback of working in a company that big. I work in a company with 30 employees and the product manager is never entirely sure of the system architecture and how stuff really works. The architect is the go to guy for all intricate details. For a company like MS with such a deep organizational hierarchy, there would definitely be significant delegation of authority. By extension, the higher up you go, the lesser you know about the nitty-gritties. So I'm not surprised that he is frequently wrong about hardware design. But I'm surprised that he chooses to talk about it. If he really expected to convey something meaningful to Gaf about technical details, he should have introduced the "technical fellow" here and let people clarify their questions. Otherwise, stuff is bound to get completely lost in translation. It's just one bad move after another.

viveks86

I haven't actually seen any 3rd party game have their native resolution confirmed...isn't that what we were complaining about the past few weeks? About how some devs could stick to 900p on both consoles due to political reasons?

EDIT: Just saw the list. Funny thing is that this quote from a FIFA dev:

"There were two things we did straight away," said Rutter. "One was bump it up to 1080p and see if it made a difference, because 1080p's expensive. It's a lot of graphics. We were sceptical going into it, but came out being glad we did it, because it makes a significant difference. That was the most performance expensive thing we did initially."

And who said resolution doesn't matter or that people wouldn't notice a difference?

Good catch! Hadn't come across that quote before. Couldn't agree more!

Looking forward to seeing how multiplatform games shape up next year. For now, I think we'll only see something truly next gen in exclusives.

Looking forward to seeing how multiplatform games shape up next year. For now, I think we'll only see something truly next gen in exclusives.

Probably true but to be honest Fifa is a terrible example of next gen anyways

Should win awards for the least technically ambitious major budget title if anything

So which category would watch dogs fall under? ;)

No idea. Maybe they're doing the right thing. At the moment from everything we've heard, MS is behind with their developer tools so hopefully when they're sorted out things will get better for everybody. Not trying to be divisive, just seems like that's where things are at right now.

viveks86

You are a competitor to 3rd parties that are producing exclusive titles or at least exclusive content for the xbox one?

Don't know if Albert would respond, so let me take a crack at it. Microsoft Studios is a game publishing company. They potentially compete in genres that 3rd parties would be creating for Microsoft's own platform. Halo, for example, competes for the gamers' money and mindshare with all other sci fi shooters out there. Doesn't mean no other 3rd party shooter will be exclusive to the Xbox. Titanfall, though not fully exclusive, is an example that comes to mind. It is a paradox in business, and it is quite common.

Samsung and Apple are bitter rivals in the mobile phone industry, but Apple still uses Samsung to manufacture it's screens. It's weird. But it happens all the time.

viveks86

This list is a little disingenuous. Flower? You might as well add Lococycle and Peggle 2 while you're at it.

Just because we haven't heard the resolution for a game, doesn't mean it's sub 1080.

It's even more disingenuous to report things as fact without confirmation, no matter how obvious it may be.

This. BruiserBear, let's stick to facts. If you think there is anything in that list that's factually wrong, call it out. If there is anything in there that is missing and you have factual evidence, then propose it and it will be added after there is a consensus. No need to disrupt the sanctity of the list by adding games that are hypothetically 1080p. They can be added whenever they are confirmed by a legitimate source. Not like a winner needs to be declared today, or that this is even a race (not in my eyes). It's an authoritative source for interested consumers to refer to when they buy a product.

EDIT: Guys! Look at the bright side of the chaos Albert caused today. We are actually working together to make an iron clad list! Sort of like a wikipedia for resolution and fps. Pretty neat, I say!

viveks86

We made a list of confirmed resolutions, but Albert sure as shit wouldn't want to look at it:

Forza: 1080p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
CoD:DoG 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4
Fifa 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ference-between-current-gen-and-next-gen-fifa
Ryse: 900p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
KI: 720p - http://gamingbolt.com/killer-instin...s-removed-or-optimized-praises-xbox-one-cloud
DR3: Dynamic bullshit - actually unable to find a solid link on this, many available but no direct dev comments could be found easily. - Albert could clarify if he wanted to, even if he didn't know it would be 1 phonecall away.

Driveclub: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
KZ:SF: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Knack: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Infamous: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
the Order: 1920x800 (artistic- 2.40 cinema aspect ratio, retains 1:1 pixel mapping) - Seriously, the resolution of this one is everywhere, find it yourself :p
ACIV: 1080p - constantly referred to as 1080p, eurogamer comment here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-assassins-creed-4
CoD:DoG 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...s-runs-at-1080p-and-60fps-on-xbox-one-and-ps4
Fifa 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ference-between-current-gen-and-next-gen-fifa
Resogun: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-resogun
Flower: 1080p - https://twitter.com/TDMoss/status/385907407475314688 - talks about 60fps in tweet but in comments confirms 1080p
DC:UO 1080p - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/e3-2013-dcuo-plans-to-remain-completely-free-on-ps4/
FF14 1080p - http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...-fps-1080p-equivalent-to-highest-pc-settings/
Blacklight Retribution 1080p - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/06/hands-on-with-blacklight-retribution-for-playstation-4/

They are just about the only confirmed resolutions out there.

EDIT: If anyone provides a valid link with a developer quote or a pixel analysis I'll add the game to the list.

Hohokum 1080p/60 fps confirmed:

Ricky Haggett on May 7th, 2013 at 3:23 pm said:
Hey there! Hohokum is gonna run 1080p / 60fps on the home consoles, and full resolution / 60fps on Vita!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/07/hohokum-coming-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-in-2014/

Ricky Haggett is the co-founder of Honeyslug.

Target framerate should go in the list too if it's known.

Someone posted earlier in the thread that Crimson Dragon is 1080p30.

Frame rate somewhat surprising, I would have thought as a downloadable title that originated on the 360 it would be 60fps. Like Flower (?)

viveks86

Frame rate somewhat surprising, I would have thought as a downloadable title that originated on the 360 it would be 60fps. Like Flower (?)

I posted it, but that entire DF article has come into question since they didn't get developer quotes or do proper due diligence on their own. If you can find a dev quote or any official confirmation, it should be good enough to add it.

NBtoaster

Flower looks much less demanding. Being downloadable says nothing about how graphically demanding it is.

madmackem

Isnt that what hes doing though, if we had heard the res of those games im sure hed have put them in the list. The fact is we have learnt more about ps4 games and what they run at that we have one games up to now.

Flower looks much less demanding. Being downloadable says nothing about how graphically demanding it is.
Flower was just an off-the-cuff example of an uprezzed PS3 game.

Crimson Dragon doesn't really look that graphically impressive from what I've seen of it though; although I haven't looked at a lot of media of it.

NBtoaster

Flower was just an off-the-cuff example of an uprezzed PS3 game.

Crimson Dragon doesn't really look that graphically impressive from what I've seen of it though; although I haven't looked at a lot of media of it.

I agree its not particularly impressive, but it does have to deal with a lot more alpha effects and more complex geometry than games like Flower. And its UE3.

p3tran

Banned
It will be funny if the WiiU has more 1080p games than the Xbone. It looks to be that way when just looking at the launch Xbox games.

are we down to this level of nonsense now?

I tried to catch up with the thread where i left it last time. thread went on about forza 5 being forza horizon hd, i had to jump a few hundred posts, then I land on this one...

really guys?

Gavarms

Another one for the list:
Strider
PSBlog - Strider is launching early next year for PS3 and PS4 on PlayStation Store. Capcom is targeting full 1080p visuals and 60 frames per second for the PS4 version, which can only make Hiryu’s high-speed mission all the better.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
are we down to this level of nonsense now?
I tried to catch up with the thread where i left it last time. thread went on about forza 5 being forza horizon hd, i had to jump a few hundred posts, then I land on this one...
really guys?
It's the thread that keeps on giving. It ain't ever gonna die. Pennello said something again at some point. How weird.

geordiemp

What happened here? Have two threads been merged?

Albert came on and asked for a list of next gen game resolutions.

Albert insists he does not know xbox 3rd party details as its confidential IP

Skeff made nice lists - these should be in their own thread and kept up to date for reference

There was allot of initial finger waving at Albert as GAF is not fully believing he would not know Xbox one 3rd party game states at all, nothing.......

I think the tension is due to the worry that MS might force parity and gimp PS4 games, and so it does raise blood pressures in posts at any suggestion game IQ could be pulled back in any way

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Skeff made nice lists - these should be in their own thread and kept up to date for reference

There was allot of initial finger waving at Albert as GAF is not fully believing he would not know Xbox one 3rd party game states at all, nothing.......

I think the tension is due to the worry that MS might force parity and gimp PS4 games, and so it does raise blood pressures in posts at any suggestion game IQ could be pulled back in any way

Ok, thanks. I remembered the other thread and thought perhaps it had been merged. It makes sense to keep that thread clean.

Lucky26

Neo Member
Another one for the list:
Strider

Interesting. What's not clear to me is if psblog specifically asked about the PS4 resolution and fps because they are psblog, or because that was the only one Capcom were willing to commit to that high level on.

peace

Neo Member
Can someone tell me if things in the PS4/Xbone such as the Arithmetic Logistics Unit (ALU) (and the 4 Move Engines in the Xbone) are included when they worked out how many TFLOPS of the systems? Basically, do things like the APU work separately from the CPU/GPU? I know that the PS4 has all these extra doobies, are the same things included in PC GPUs/CPUs? Is this what's meant by "secret sauce"? (I'm aware that the equivalent of Move Engines were in previous consoles.)

KidBeta

Can someone tell me if things in the PS4/Xbone such as the Arithmetic Logistics Unit (ALU) (and the 4 Move Engines in the Xbone) are included when they worked out how many TFLOPS of the systems? Basically, do things like the APU work separately from the CPU/GPU? I know that the PS4 has all these extra doobies, are the same things included in PC GPUs/CPUs? Is this what's meant by "secret sauce"? (I'm aware that the equivalent of Move Engines were in previous consoles.)

can't tell if serious.

Hey guys!

I have been following these tech threads for a while and they've kept me quite interested (which says something considering I'm not techy at ALL). The info I've gleaned from here has been very interesting. I mean I'm one of those guys who believed everything from that original DF article. Watching you guys tear it apart has given me a bit of a fresh perspective on how to read articles haha. Anyways, just thanks for the entertainment and keep on truckin :p

P.s considering I'm not techy, if anyone could explain terms like API and IQ, I would really be grateful. I can keep up with what's being said, but that would really help. Thanks

ekim

The ALUs are part of the GPU and are of course included into the TFLOPS number... this number is basically the number of single precision floating point operations per second on all ALUs in the GPU. Move engines and stuff are not included which is why comparing systems by their FLOP count was silly this gen but as both next gen consoles basically share the same architecture, it is a valid comparator. (additionally to ROPs, Memory bandwidth etc...)

P.s considering I'm not techy, if anyone could explain terms like API and IQ, I would really be grateful. I can keep up with what's being said, but that would really help. Thanks

An API is an programming interface. It's basically a description how you are able to talk to some piece of hardware or software resp. certain aspects of HW/SW. It's really a general term.
IQ == Image quality - a mostly subjective interpretation of the image which is being output to the screen. Mostly it means, the cleaner the picture (less jaggies, high resolution) the higher the IQ.

geordiemp

Hey guys!

API - a library of software routines, probably low level optimised ones
IQ - Image Quality - how pretty it looks with effects

viveks86

Ok, thanks. I remembered the other thread and thought perhaps it had been merged. It makes sense to keep that thread clean.

Yup. Pretty much what happened. Thankfully, the other thread stayed clean.

Skeff

Updated with Hohokum and Strider:

We made a list of confirmed resolutions, but Albert sure as shit wouldn't want to look at it:

Forza: 1080p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
Ryse: 900p - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/09/17/forza-5-runs-at-native-1080p-ryse-does-not
KI: 720p - http://gamingbolt.com/killer-instin...s-removed-or-optimized-praises-xbox-one-cloud
DR3: Dynamic bullshit - actually unable to find a solid link on this, many available but no direct dev comments could be found easily. - Albert could clarify if he wanted to, even if he didn't know it would be 1 phonecall away.

Driveclub: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
KZ:SF: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Knack: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
Infamous: 1080p - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-playstation-4
the Order: 1920x800 (artistic- 2.40 cinema aspect ratio, retains 1:1 pixel mapping) - Seriously, the resolution of this one is everywhere, find it yourself :p
ACIV: 1080p - constantly referred to as 1080p, eurogamer comment here - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tech-analysis-assassins-creed-4
Flower: 1080p - https://twitter.com/TDMoss/status/385907407475314688 - talks about 60fps in tweet but in comments confirms 1080p
DC:UO 1080p - http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/e3-2013-dcuo-plans-to-remain-completely-free-on-ps4/
FF14 1080p - http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/09...-fps-1080p-equivalent-to-highest-pc-settings/
Blacklight Retribution 1080p - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/09/06/hands-on-with-blacklight-retribution-for-playstation-4/
Hohokum 1080p - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/07/hohokum-coming-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-in-2014/
Strider 1080p - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/10/strider-hands-on-remember-your-ninja-training/

EDIT: If anyone provides a valid link with a developer quote or a pixel analysis I'll add the game to the list.

Also of note recently is this from DICE:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/64205/dice-mak...n-all-platforms-would-be-the-cowards-way-out/

Apparently having the same game on all platforms would be the cowardss way out, so let's see what you can do DICE.

Hohokum 1080p - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/05/07/hohokum-coming-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-in-2014/
Strider 1080p - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/10/strider-hands-on-remember-your-ninja-training/

Hopefully we'll get more confirmed resolutions for the XB1.

The ALUs are part of the GPU and are of course included into the TFLOPS number... this number is basically the number of single precision floating point operations per second on all ALUs in the GPU. Move engines and stuff are not included which is why comparing systems by their FLOP count was silly this gen but as both next gen consoles basically share the same architecture, it is a valid comparator. (additionally to ROPs, Memory bandwidth etc...)

An API is an programming interface. It's basically a description how you are able to talk to some piece of hardware or software resp. certain aspects of HW/SW. It's really a general term.
IQ == Image quality - a mostly subjective interpretation of the image which is being output to the screen. Mostly it means, the cleaner the picture (less jaggies, high resolution) the higher the IQ.

API - a library of software routines, probably low level optimised ones
IQ - Image Quality - how pretty it looks with effects

Thanks guys. So to my understanding the only reason eDRAM can be regarded as better because it is basically automated compared to eSRAM...

Top Bottom