• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE Review scores August 2009

agm2502

Just got it in the post this morning:

Prototype - 8
Arma 2 - 7
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - 7
The Conduit - 4
Battlefield 1943: Pacific - 9
Indiana Jones and the staff of kings - 3
Overlord 2 - 6
Call of Juarez: Bound in blood - 7
Fight night round 4 - 8
Red Faction: Guerilla - 7
Killing Floor - 6
Prinny: Can I really be the hero? - 4
Another code R - 4
Bonsai Barber - 7

Did a search and couldn't see if these have been posted already. The also have an interview with Peter Molyneux and Kudo Tsunoda about Project Natal and Milo etc and various articles about E3. The Hype section is focussed on the games showcased at E3 aswell.

OnPoint

Expecting surprise for 1943 score, hate for The Conduit score, lulz for the Indiana Jones score, and questions for the Overlord 2 score

Polk

Scribble said:
What's the most surprising score on that list?
For me? Another code R - 4
I want to know why so lo (I know it's just medicore score, but netherless I was hoping for more)

Zenith

Banned
Scribble said:
What's the most surprising score on that list?

prototype probably. unposlished, shallow and reptitive if you really wanted to be nasty. Conduit got what it deserved.

RJT

Why so low for Indiana Jones? Why did they rate the bonus game instead of Fate of Atlantis?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I really can't agree with Prototype getting an 8 while Red Faction scores a 7. I realize review scores are just someone's opinion (probably different reviewers, too), but in my mind it is just crazy to call Prototype a better game than Red Faction.

glaurung

Incredible that EDGE would give PROTOTYPE an eight.

Can't wait to read that review.

RFG grade is about right, shame about Prinny.

agm2502 said:
The Conduit - 4
Indiana Jones and the staff of kings - 3
Prinny: Can I really be the hero? - 4
Another code R - 4

wtj8zp.png

Timbuktu

The cover story is No More Heroes, right? according to rllmuk, Time Extend is Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, and The Making Of... Bioforge. Can you confirm?

And lets not freak out about one score again.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I'm very interested in why they gave Trace a 4, since Edge tends to be pretty reliable but this flies in the face of everything I've seen from the game thus far. Maybe the reviewer expected something different than what the game delivered.

agm2502

Timbuktu said:
The cover story is No More Heroes, right? according to rllmuk, Time Extend is Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, and The Making Of... Bioforge. Can you confirm?

And lets not freak out about one score again.

Making of and Time Extend are both what you say.

Aaron

Awntawn said:
EDGE uses the whole damn scale!
I'm pointing out the game they obviously didn't do that for. Prototype is a short, single player only mess cobbled together by hobos. A six would be generous.

sinnergy

FN4 == agree
Call of Juarez == agree
Prototype == agree

The Conduit == WTF

Imo solid game, 6.5.. 7.5,

But hey that's me.

Haruspex

Banned
Edge on Prototype 'the game allows the player to immerse themselves in moral choices... and fuck everyone knows moral choices are where its at. Yeah muthafuckers, arthouse gaming right here. Games validated as a medium because of their interactive moral choices!'

Just read the Conduit review and it's definitely written like a 4. Edge do not give out mercy to any game, no matter how much "effort" was put into it. Will post some choice quotes soon. Reading the Prototype review now.

Barrett2

Why did they give ________ a __? Who the hell do they think they are? _________ is obviously better than __________, yet ___________ gets a ___ and _____________ gets a ___? Give me a break!!!

ram

RichardAM said:
"Microsoft leads the way at E3".

Complete with a picture of limb flailing. :lol

what did you expect? edge is british, bullfrog is british - they are biased. and thus, i dont give about edge.

Yagharek

Haruspex said:
Edge on Prototype 'the game allows the player to immerse themselves in moral choices... and fuck everyone knows moral choices are where its at. Yeah muthafuckers, arthouse gaming right here. Games validated as a medium because of their interactive moral choices!'

Moral choices in vapid, peurile games? Ive always considered "moral choices" in games as nothing more than a marketing bullet point, and a superficial attempt at conveying depth that we all know does not exist in any game to date.

Looks like they fell for the hype.

gketter said:
Seems a bit high given "EDGE's full use of the scale" rep and how they've recently rated other open world games

I just got my copy, so we'll see.

I'll take a pic of the cover, it's the best one in forever (no text!)

dascu said:
@Dabookerman: Any new info for NMH2?

I'm not gonna read that section dude, I just got the first game a few weeks ago, and I want to finish that first.

Anyhoo.

The Conduit said:
-The Conduit's self proclaimed role was to bring "next generation visuals" and "hardcore gaming" to Nintendo's Wii, a console that seems to be doing conspicuously well regardless of the odd derivative and often crushingly dull first person shooter. The makers of The Conduit insist that it's a "gamer's game", but it's difficult to see any gamer other than one with particularly low standards being satisfied with what is distinctively mediocre production.

They liked multiplayer and controls:

The Conduit said:
-Multiplayer provides a brisk and no-nonsence shootout, with the usual deathmatch and thing-capturing variants, although it's as vanilla as they come. The Halo interface has been studied closely and fitted around the Wii's capabilities (including Wii Speak) and, compared to the average online experience on Nintendo's platform, it's a breeze to set up and join games. You may not choose to play it if you have access to any decent online shooter from the last three years, but at least it's there.

The Conduit said:
-The controls also work well - if a little sluggishly on the turn - and can be extensively tweaked. As well as the usual options, the opportunity to expand or contract the dead zone and set the sensitivity of the game's reactions to Remote and Nunchuk thrusts means The Conduit is just about flawless in terms of aiming. The problems lie in what you're shooting at.

On Protoype, last paragraph :

Prototype won't win any awards for its story, which for all its micro-cutscenes and intrigue nodes leaves you wondering just how anti- its hero really is, and not always in a good way. Not do its objectives come as any real surprise once the pattern's set, most involving one almighty scrum between countless enemies and vehicles. When you're not evading strike teams by dashing into cover and walking casually back out, the disguise system seems more about playful murder than rewarding stealth. But which would you rather have: a game that tries everything or a game that doesn't have to? Prototype does what it does, and does it with distinction.

AniHawk

Dabookerman said:
I'm not gonna read that section dude, I just got the first game a few weeks ago, and I want to finish that first.

Anyhoo.

They liked multiplayer and controls:

That actually sounds pretty fair.

Prototype won't win any awards for it's story, which for all its micro-cutscenes and intrigue nodes leaves you wondering just how anti- its hero really is, and not always in a good way. Not do its objectives come as any real surprise once the pattern's set, most involving one almighty scrum between countless enemies and vehicles. When you're not evading strike teams by dashing into cover and walking casually back out, the disguise system seems more about playful murder than rewarding stealth. But which would you rather have: a game that tries everything or a game that doesn't have to? Prototype does what it does, and does it with distinction.

Dabookerman: please tell me this isn't their mistake.

I'll transcribe the No More Heroes story if I get my copy today. Not too busy so I'll take requests providing it arrives.

Top Bottom