• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where I beat and review every unbeaten Xbox 360 game I own.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I thought the OP had pretty good score, in line with my tastes.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You gave Mass Effect 2 a 3/5. You are an awful person.

Seriously though good luck. I have like 3 unplayed games and I don't think I'm ever going to get around to finishing them lol.

You gave Mass Effect 2 a 3/5. You are an awful person.

Seriously though good luck. I have like 3 unplayed games and I don't think I'm ever going to get around to finishing them lol.

Not a big fan of the 25 hours of loyalty quests, the complete strip of RPG elements, and the 5 hours of actual storyline. I hate filler, and most of ME2 felt like that to me.

Anyways, Phantasy Star II is so much damn fun. I have to do a race in F1 2011 in about an hour, but once I'm done that, it will be PS2 all damn day.

According to this walkthrough I am about 1/4th of the way through the game. I am really enjoying it, but dear lord there's a reason why I never played it much in the first place!

Good idea for a thread. I'd start one myself but most of you would be dead long before I finished my backlog even if I never bought a new game.

my backlog was at zero probably 8 months ago. it certainly helped that the deepest it got was I think 25 games at the time, but still. Felt good to be at zero. I couldn't hold it though, especially after this Xmas. Currently at 33, which compared to most of us here, is not that bad still

I had it under 5, and then came Skyrim, followed by Christmas (with a PS3 purchase). I can't even imagine when I'm going to dig out, because Skyrim is the only thing I want to play these days.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Operation Darkness isn't that bad from the little I played before my 360 died. The only issue is lack of undue so the terrible camera controls get in the way of SRPG goodness. :/

Tales of Vesperia - 2.5/5
It's pretty low on your list in comparison to other jrpgs. What didn't you like about it.

The battle system is really repetitive and never evolves throughout the game. There is no reason at all to do anything besides mash the attack button.

That, mixed with the standard and mediocre Tales characters/story, mixed with the awful dialog and the FAR too long story, makes it one of my least liked JRPGs on the system that I've beaten.

FSLink

Banned
The battle system is really repetitive and never evolves throughout the game. There is no reason at all to do anything besides mash the attack button.

That, mixed with the standard and mediocre Tales characters/story, mixed with the awful dialog and the FAR too long story, makes it one of my least liked JRPGs on the system that I've beaten.

Played on Normal mode I assume? Most Tales games are pretty terrible on default difficulties, since it really feels like the game's more balanced on Hard mode (any higher then it just becomes an HP multiplier). Lets you use all parts of the battle system like Fatal Strikes (which are pretty useless on Normal mode since everything dies so quickly) and the enemy AI actually uses Mystic Artes against you...where there's maybe only 2 bosses on Normal mode who use them on you.

why would you finish games that are cleary not worth playing. or why would you play Forza 2 and 3? they are pretty much identical.

There, I updated the OP, bolding all of the sports games that I've done full years in season/franchise mode, which I count as having played enough of the game. I also bolded some games that I am unable to play due to account issues and have beaten them on other systems (Doom, Contra, and Super Contra, for example, don't show up in my download history anymore), but I've beaten them on other systems so I'll bold those.

I also didn't put scores next to some games, such as older sports games, because I feel it's unfair to judge them. Or, obviously, I won't put scores next to games I do not have the ability to play but have played other versions, such as the Doom/Contra/Super Contra situation.

So I'm not gonna lie. Phantasy Star II was way too slow for me, so I uhh, found other means of beating it on another system using a fast forward function. But I beat it legit otherwise! It was overall a very good game, although the dungeons were far too long, and as expected, the story is pretty lame. I've never beaten any of the other ones, so it's hard to put it in context.

Next up is Magna Carta 2.

Seda

And I have a long hatred for most Tales games, and Vesperia is no exception. I don't really want to explain why, because I know it's a loved series, and I respect that most everyone loves the game.

I thought we were friends :(

(JK i know they aren't everyone's thing)

So I'm not gonna lie. Phantasy Star II was way too slow for me, so I uhh, found other means of beating it on another system using a fast forward function. But I beat it legit otherwise! It was overall a very good game, although the dungeons were far too long, and as expected, the story is pretty lame. I've never beaten any of the other ones, so it's hard to put it in context.

Next up is Magna Carta 2.

MC2 was okay, but nothing really memorable about it. Has quite a few sidequests and good exploration though. Decent music.

I thought we were friends :(

(JK i know they aren't everyone's thing)

MC2 was okay, but nothing really memorable about it. Has quite a few sidequests and good exploration though. Decent music.

Yeah, I put around 20 hours into it before I put it down for whatever reason (I think another game came out or something). I was enjoying it, and it felt a lot like Infinite Undiscovery (a game I feel is a little underrated), but it was still A LOT better than the original Magna Carta. I also hate whenever a game that's technically a hack 'n slash tries to limit it by adding bullshit stamina bars. That was the part that annoyed me the most about the game.

And the Tales thing is weird. I didn't mind Phantasia, Eternia, Rebirth, Destiny II, or Legendia. But I absolutely loathe all of the other ones and I have no idea why. Especially the Team Symphonia games, which drive me absolutely insane for some reason. xP

NinjaBoiX

Because I spent money on them and want to finish them. It's immensely dissatisfying owning hundreds of games but only beating a few of them.
Surely it would be more dissatisfying to realise you'd spent 100's of hours playing games you didn't enjoy? Just play them for a few hours, if they are no good, stack up a trade in pile. You'll be able to grab more games you actually want to play for "free", rather than feeling an obligation to get your money's worth out of the ones you don't.

McLovin

You bought sequels to games you didn't beat?! And you.. didn't finish... Dead space.... You better finish that game and get the awesome sauce that is dead space 2

NinjaBoiX

You bought sequels to games you didn't beat?! And you.. didn't finish... Dead space.... You better finish that game and get the awesome sauce that is dead space 2
I quite often do this. I got Crackdown 1 & 2 for £8 and Dead Rising 1 & 2 £16. If I see both for a good price, then why not? I wouldn't buy a sequel day 1 without finishing the previous game mind.

Well, a lot of the time I get in those moods where I go, "I really want to play this series, but there are so many of them...How about I just buy ALL of them in the series?!" So I end up buying them, and then, even if I love them, I always seem get distracted by something else. Or I buy the original at a super cheap price, then see the next one at a super cheap price later and buy it anyways despite never having beaten the original.

P.S. I never trade in video games, especially since the games I own aren't exactly in high demand and I wouldn't get much for them anywhere anyways. And all of those video games have at least one factor about them that I enjoy, even if it is something as little as "wow, this translation is terrible," or, "these glitches are so bad!" A bad game can be immensely enjoyable, and there has never been a game I've played that is so damn bad that I feel that I wasted money on it. Even Operation Darkness, quite possibly the worst 360 game I own, at least has a really cool premise that I want to look more into.

I only feel like I've wasted money on it when I haven't put a good deal of time into it.

Cool idea. I think I may try to do something like this at some point, too.

Right now my 360 library is sitting at about 500+(including XBLA games), and there are literally hundreds of those that I haven't beaten yet!

I personally don't see the point of making yourself do something that you don't enjoy when video games are supposed to be entertainment. Why play games like beowulf and sonic 2006? Why the maddens?

I would get rid of all the crap games, and make a firm list of games you would enjoy and just go through those. Although the best part of watching this forum may be to see when you actually check off some of these horrible games you purchased! :p

Although quite different games, I'd be interested to know what you liked/didn't like about Blood Stone vs. Quantum of Solace - as I felt kinda the same after both their single player segments and your scoring gap surprised me.

Although quite different games, I'd be interested to know what you liked/didn't like about Blood Stone vs. Quantum of Solace - as I felt kinda the same after both their single player segments and your scoring gap surprised me.

I honestly do not remember Quantum of Solace at all, but I really enjoyed Blood Stone because it mixed things up every once and a while, with some stealth, action, vehicles, etc. I remember every level in Quantum of Solace feeling the same, and the only thing I remember about it where it tried something differently is the airport level where there's a really lame attempt at stealth.

I also played Quantum of Solace right after Modern Warfare 2, so I was probably feeling CoD fatigue.

NinjaBoiX

I think Blood Stone is a pretty solid shooter, with very decent driving segments. I played Uncharted 3 just after BS, and I have to say, the shooting mechanics did not compare favourably. I'm not saying it's a better game, but it's a better shooter. And the some of the driving sections are epic.

I would recommend it. It's not going to rock your world, but it is suprisingly worthwhile IMO. Plus, it's one of Bizarre's last games. Gotta fly the flag...

I think Blood Stone is a pretty solid shooter, with very decent driving segments. I played Uncharted 3 just after BS, and I have to say, the shooting mechanics did not compare favourably. I'm not saying it's a better game, but it's a better shooter. And the some of the driving sections are epic.

I would recommend it. It's not going to rock your world, but it is suprisingly worthwhile IMO. Plus, it's one of Bizarre's last games. Gotta fly the flag...

I loved the vehicle sections. And even some of the on foot parts are really good, and the controls were extremely solid. The game felt like a non-RPG version of Alpha Protocol.

I think it's an extremely underrated game, and the only thing I didn't like about it was the nonsensical story, even by James Bond standards.

DAYM SON, you got some games.

Yeah, it's kind of pathetic. But during that year off before college, I was making so much damn money. Half of it went to saving up for college, the other half went to video games. I was bored out of my mind that year.

Anyways, I finally got used to Magna Carta 2 again. The characters are just as bad as I remembered, and the game is still one of the ugliest on the 360. But I have having fun with the sidequests, and I love it when I can break games as badly as I did this. Right now I bought $400,000 worth of Seekers, which is giving me a ridiculous amount of skill points, where I'll be able to fill out BOTH skill trees by the end. Every other guide said you'd only have enough to fill out one skill tree by the time you were done. But when making 40 skill points per level, it makes it ridiculously easy.

I honestly do not remember Quantum of Solace at all, but I really enjoyed Blood Stone because it mixed things up every once and a while, with some stealth, action, vehicles, etc. I remember every level in Quantum of Solace feeling the same, and the only thing I remember about it where it tried something differently is the airport level where there's a really lame attempt at stealth.

I also played Quantum of Solace right after Modern Warfare 2, so I was probably feeling CoD fatigue.

Now that you mention it, I can't actually remember much from QoS either. I think I tried to finish Blood Stone in too few sittings and it burnt me out a little and shaded my view by the end, but it definitely had a good amount of diversity (competent diversity too, which is a nice change).

Haha I know man, I'm still carting my copy of Blur round friend's houses for split screen goodness :-( I did love the driving bits in BS, even if some felt a bit trial and error.

Yep, I'm done with this fucking game for now. Just went on a two hour romp through the same enemies, then went through three boss battles without a save point. Which is fine since everything was super easy. But then...

...After completing that part of the story, I got through 10 minutes of cutscenes, only to fight a super boss. And this super boss is near impossible to defeat, as he was taking 500 HP out of me (I have 2000 hp), and I am already super over leveled, where as I was doing 50 damage to him (I normally do 1000 damage), and doing nothing. Keep in mind this is an action RPG, so it's about 1 hit a second. So while I tried really hard to win, I figured it was one of those battles where you have to lose considering how overleveled I am and how overpowered he was. So when I lost, I thought nothing of it...

...Then, Gamer Over screen. Then reload screen. I look up a walkthrough, it says you have to beat him.

No save points. In between. Any of that. Not even between the three bosses and that super boss, which made no sense at all. Now I have to do it all again. I am fucking pissed.

I really, REALLY hate how JRPGs (in this case, Korean, but it's clearly modeled after a JRPG) do these awful, AWFUL save points. But this is perhaps the worst I've ever seen.

Seda

Yep, I'm done with this fucking game for now. Just went on a two hour romp through the same enemies, then went through three boss battles without a save point. Which is fine since everything was super easy. But then...

...After completing that part of the story, I got through 10 minutes of cutscenes, only to fight a super boss. And this super boss is near impossible to defeat, as he was taking 500 HP out of me (I have 2000 hp), and I am already super over leveled, where as I was doing 50 damage to him (I normally do 1000 damage), and doing nothing. Keep in mind this is an action RPG, so it's about 1 hit a second. So while I tried really hard to win, I figured it was one of those battles where you have to lose considering how overleveled I am and how overpowered he was. So when I lost, I thought nothing of it...

...Then, Gamer Over screen. Then reload screen. I look up a walkthrough, it says you have to beat him.

No save points. In between. Any of that. Not even between the three bosses and that super boss, which made no sense at all. Now I have to do it all again. I am fucking pissed.

I really, REALLY hate how JRPGs (in this case, Korean, but it's clearly modeled after a JRPG) do these awful, AWFUL save points. But this is perhaps the worst I've ever seen.

it was
insane Judo
right?

If so, same thing happened to me, only I don't think I had lost as much time.

it was
insane Judo
right?

If so, same thing happened to me, only I don't think I had lost as much time.

Yes. That's it. I think there might have been a save point to the very far right of the map, but when I saw the save point to the north, I thought I'd have to just go there and I'd be able to save. NOPE.

Seda

Yes. That's it. I think there might have been a save point to the very far right of the map, but when I saw the save point to the north, I thought I'd have to just go there and I'd be able to save. NOPE.

Yeah, that ticked me off as well. Only I didn't have anything better to do, so I redid whatever I lost (you have a bunch of other games you could play).

But when I said same thing happened to me, I literally mean the exact same thing. I thought it was a usual "Can't Win" scenario, based off of the amount of damage I was doing and the amount of damage he was doing (plus I think it would have made sense in a plot sense too). So I didn't really play my best effort in the fight.

It's an odd spike in difficulty.

Yeah, that ticked me off as well. Only I didn't have anything better to do, so I redid whatever I lost (you have a bunch of other games you could play).

But when I said same thing happened to me, I literally mean the exact same thing. I thought it was a usual "Can't Win" scenario, based off of the amount of damage I was doing and the amount of damage he was doing (plus I think it would have made sense in a plot sense too)

It's an odd spike in difficulty.

Yes, it's really odd. I just cannot comprehend not putting a save point in there somewhere, unless I missed it. There's a difference between difficulty and incredibly goddamn annoying.

That said, I am taking a break from JRPGs right now. I really need a different type of genre, because the last three JRPGs I've played all have these issues. Coincidentally, all of them have battle systems that are incredible slow!

Yanksfan

I dread the day when I randomly pick Operation Darkness or Smash Court Tennis 3.

Then give them away in the 'free to a good home' thread and be done with them. I am all for beating everything you have even a slight interest in, but for things you would dread to play, just be rid of them and move on.

Then give them away in the 'free to a good home' thread and be done with them. I am all for beating everything you have even a slight interest in, but for things you would dread to play, just be rid of them and move on.

No thanks.

Anyways, I decided to just run as fast as I could past that part in Magna Carta 2 that really pissed me off, and I got passed it, beat the shit out of that boss, and got annoyed because the
party member that was kidnapped from my team had ALL OF MY SP growth items equipped
and since I didn't want to go through all that garbage again, I just said FUCK IT, and rushed the next few areas until I fixed it
by getting her back

Top Bottom