• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Effective character design: Sonic now vs Sonic then

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
X

Hello pot, my name is kettle I have things to say about your appearence
I gotta agree with this one. X is the best character re-design in gaming history. Mega Man will always equal X for me.

I love Yuji Uekawa's redesigns from the Adventure era. When it came out I was a teenager on the California coast so all of that surfer-esque art bullshit kind of appealed to me. The Dreamcast was 'cool' back then, even complete jockey douche-cakes went around with Dreamcast swirl logo jerseys.

The new CG is look is a bit of a step down in my opinion, but in the wake of the whole 'CG animal movie' movement of the mid 2000s I can see where it might be appealing for a new generation, my nephew loves the hell out of Sonic and he's never touched a 'classic' 2d game save for Sonic CD on mobiles.

EDIT:

As for the X vs Megaman design argument... it's not really the same thing and classic Sonic vs Modern Sonic since they're not actually the same character. It's more like this:
c0oD9XF.gif

mzIppOt.jpg

The latter being much better.

New NEW Sonic looks fine. Not the Dreamcast one with his weird sneakers, or the lanky Sonic 06 one, but the Smash Bros Brawl, Colors, and Generations version. He isn't cutesy "Mickey Mouse with 'Tude" Sonic of the Genesis era, but it's a great looking update.

Village

There's a huge difference between robots and hedgehogs, Village.

One can be taken serious and the other can't.

So the robots, because ok I was gonna make a capcom megaman joke but that's just mean at this point.

I am sorry.

Also, I take shadow the hedgehog more seriously than rush limbaugh, who or what you take seriously is up to you.

What in the fuck is this comparison about?

This might just be the most effective honey trap in the history of GAF. As for the topic at hand, no way in hell can you write off classic Sonic as a character with no character. Everything post Adventure reeks of trying too hard with the exception of Sonic's renders/models in Unleashed/Colors/Generations.

Also, Sonic CD's art > everything else. Coveys the same kind of "cool" SEGA went nuts trying to beat into people's faces with the hyper stylistic Sonic post adventure while retaining enough of the "cute" or more aptly approachable design that made Sonic popular in the first place.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

1991, 1997 and the one on the bottom right all look fine, all different interpretations of the character. Everything else looks....eugh. I think I like 1997 version the best. Slimmed down just a bit from the original but still cartoony.

Satchel

Banned
There's nothing wrong with new Sonic as a character design.

It's the games that are the problem. The shit his design gets is just rage overflow.

Generations was good though.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
While sonic isnt the most popular guy on the planet, I honestly believe his fan base grew.
Why make this kind of assertion if you have no way to prove it?

I take shadow the hedgehog more seriously than rush limbaugh, who or what you take seriously is up to you.
What the fu

how does comparing Rus

... this is a joke? I guess?

OK, whatever, enjoy your thread.

his fan base split from the old timers who only like him on the Genesis
vs
this new breed of bizzaro fans who read fanfics, and draw strange furry fantasy drawings and shit

Daingurse

Now that I think about it my favorite Sonic designs have nothing to do with Sega and alot more to do with Archie comics. I loved the Spaz covers for the Sonic comic series growing up and pretty much loved how Spaz drew everyone back then.

38-1.jpg

svk.jpg

KnucklesChaotixArchieCover.jpg

Village

But how does that prove your point that fan art is indicative of effective character design? I've seen TETRIS fan art.
quite true, but the amount of fan art produced is what I am getting at. Fan bases thanks to the internet can share more things, while you cant definitely measure how much fan art of who is getting made, some things have alot more people producing content because of it.

Its not just games , its... everything. probably bunches and bunches of fan art of mickey mouse, woody the woodpecker... eh.

There is a lot more content being produced for new sonic than old sonic, and it makes sense because its new. And it attracted a lot of people to it, it also pushed people away with bad games.

I have mixed feelings about Amy Rose in general.

I like old Amy Rose's design a bit more. Though I kind of like the new one as well. Also while she was cute in Sonic CD, she was a damsel in distress. It is kind of nice that she has escaped the damsel in distress role in later games.

I also like "Team Rose" aside from Big the Cat. It is kind of cool how Cream is a sidekick to Amy like Tails is a sidekick to Sonic. I also miss how they used to characterize her as a tomboy. Now she's a shopaholic. I also miss the fortune teller angle of her character. That was interesting. I wouldn't have developed her character the way they did at all, and I'd give her latent psychic powers.

If I was at SEGA, though, I would redesign the characters, and make them slightly more "classic" looking.

WillyFive

Sonic's interpretation seems to have gotten nerfed lately in newer games; more kid friendly/Saturday Morning Cartoon. Seems like it's watering down what the Adventure games did.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No more okay than it is to assume that every CoD or GoW fan is a 'dude bro' schmuck, etc, etc. This forum, hell this whole industry, runs of generalizations.

That's an extremely ignorant and lackluster statement to make. Not only does it exude laziness from the poster but it shows a failure to understand the nature of the community as a whole. Please take this stuff elsewhere where it's actually applicable.

Village

You couldn't have waited a month and a couple posts to make this thread yourself?

This was that important?

Eh, I someone suggested doing this, so i did, whats the harm.

People agree, people disagree, I learn how gaf feels about this, thread goes away, we all talk about E3 hype.

JazzmanZ

Personally I prefer the old design since it has a more whimsy feel and uses a design that hails to classic cartoons like the Fleischer ones.

New one just reeks of poochy to me.

"Everyone does it too so it's okay!"

Yes, actually.

Stop getting offended, it's not like these unfair generalizations aren't grounded in a reality in which there are an overwhelming amount of bizarre sonic fan fiction and fan art. Is "bizarre" an unfair word? Sure. Is it unfair to generalize? Yes. I'm sure you generalize too.

qq more

The lore and stuff in the Adventure games was shit, so I'm a-ok with this

Yep! Although I actually like Adventure 1's lore. 2's on the other hand... bleh. It did have its moments though...

Yes, actually.

Stop getting offended, it's not like these unfair generalizations aren't grounded in a reality in which there are an overwhelming amount of bizarre sonic fan fiction and fan art. Is "bizarre" an unfair word? Sure. Is it unfair to generalize? Yes. I'm sure you generalize too.
If I've generalized a person just for something they don't do, I would apologize rather than to say "NOPE. THIS IS HOW THE INDUSTRY WORKS!! DEAL WITH IT!!!".

Village

Don't let him get to you. A lot of what you said is very true.

Oh I am quite ok, I am a sonic fan, do you know amount of crazy things I have seen.

Someone said they were going to rape and kill my mother because I liked and I remember this clearly " I liked shadow and I am gay and I should die"

This, eh.

baphomet

The thought that someone can find the modern sonic a better character design than the classic blows my mind. It's like when a sitcoms ratings start to lag they add the new kid in to try and bring them back up. That's what happened with sonic. They started selling less, so someone had the idea to add a bunch of characters with attitude to try and make him popular again. Not realizing that the reason they weren't selling as well is because they were releasing garbage.

A lot of the examples in the OP are just characters showing emotion. I'm not sure how they communicate anything about the character other than "hi I'm a one dimensional stereotype". Which seems to be true about Sonic characters.

Also, what's wrong with blue exactly? You say it's a mistake but don't even attempt to explain why.

Eh, I someone suggested doing this, so i did, whats the harm.

People agree, people disagree, I learn how gaf feels about this, thread goes away, we all talk about E3 hype.
There is no harm do what you want. I like the sonic adventure design. I just think it's kind of funny it couldn't wait a month.

Village

A lot of the examples in the OP are just characters showing emotion. I'm not sure how they communicate anything about the character other than "hi I'm a one dimensional stereotype". Which seems to be true about Sonic characters.

Also, what's wrong with blue exactly? You say it's a mistake but don't even attempt to explain why.

Its a color theory thing, red is a more heated color, Its used for a lot of main characters.

Its why the red ranger, is well red.

Guri

Sonic's "modern" designs reflect him as an adventurer type of guy, and the stories also go that way. So, for the games, they are good. The quality of the games overall did not go always like that (daylight Unleashed, Colors and Generations being the good ones), but I don't think the modern designs have any kind of influence on that. Also, if you want to go to the realistic argument (for a talking hedgehog?), a character who runs like that would've got slimmer either way.

That being said, I always loved the chubby Sonic. His design also reflected what the games were about.

BlackJace

Yes, actually.

You called people you don't know freaks, man. And now you're trying to downplay it by playing the "its okay because everyone else does it" card. Why aren't we allowed to use racial slurs on GAF? Isn't the world full of racial discrimination? Why can't we make fun of other's sexual orientation? Should a gay GAF member not be offended since we live in a world were homophobic tropes aren't looked down upon by a majority of society?

Top Bottom