• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eggman or Bowser?

casiopao

Eggman easily had MUCH better and more interesting boss battles. He changes his strategy every time you encounter him in the classic games.

Bowser's a one-trick pony in every game he's a boss in.

You must had never played Mario games for quite some time huh.^_^

retroman

Robotnik.

a525bae7ae8a120c62fd4740af81339a.gif

Kinsei

Banned
You must had never played Mario games for quite some time huh.^_^

Their point still stands. In each game you fight him in (Except Galaxy 2) every Bowser fight just builds off of the last. Since Eggman uses various machines most of the fights with him (within the same game) are different.

L Thammy

Bowser is launched into the infinite void, through endless clouds where there is not even a promise of a ground below.

He jumps back.

Synth

Is Eggman more competent? Or is Sonic just not as good as Mario being a hero?

Having Sonic as your adversary compared to Mario, is like having The Flash (not the TV version that can't stop fucking everything up) instead of Casey Jones. Bowser wouldn't know the first thing to do in regards to dealing with Sonic, whereas Eggman would probably handle Mario at the end of the first zone.

Whizkid7

I...I...can't DECIDE!!!

They're both my favorite villians in forever!

Though Eggman's the only one I've ever been able to dress up as...Nope, still can't decide.

Bowser has a supporting role in a number of games where he proves himself to be as good as the greatest RPG party members of all time, and better than around 50-75% of Final Fantasy characters

Eggman has... a Puyo Puyo reskin.

Eggman is just a nerdy Elmer Fudd. Bowser is like... a beefy, rich, powerful Donald Duck.

Drackhorn

Robotnik because despite his endless failings he always comes up with new stuff which made me smile as a kid. Bowser always felt too generic to me. Even in glorious N64 graphics.

Dr. Buni

Eggman is far more charismatic, plus he isn't a creepy stalker / kidnapper.

Bowser is great in the Mario & Luigi series and kind of great in Paper Mario games, but in the main series he is kind of boring. Except in Mario Galaxy, I guess...

sibarraz

Banned
As a villian, eggman is better, like the miz

Bowser is like Kevin Owens were even though he does dastardly things, you still root for him since he is a likeable dork..

But also Sega is making Robotnik a dork too, so actually I think that both are great and I couldn't pick one

Synth

But that's always been his name. I bet you also refuse to accept Aerith too?

I'd accept Eggman loooong before I'd accept Aerith. Fuck. That.

As a villian, eggman is better, like the miz

Bowser is like Kevin Owens were even though he does dastardly things, you still root for him since he is a likeable dork..

But also Sega is making Robotnik a dork too, so actually I think that both are great and I couldn't pick one

Sonic Boom's (the TV show) Robotnik is awesome. You almost feel bad for him not being to help being a villain all the time lol.

is this a joke

Bowser is a fucking CLOWN. He literally rides in a vehicle called a clown car, but more importantly Mario constantly rocks his shit. And usually, Mario does that before Bowser really does anything of note. Kidnapping the leader of a foreign country is certainly not a minor offence, but that's as grand as his (fulfilled, if not attempted) crimes have ever gotten.

Eggman is a tyrant. He enslaves animals (which are more or less sentient in Sonic's world, even the flickies) into robot suits and has them do his bidding. It's the equivalent of Bowser strapping more or less every single Toad in the Mushroom Kingdom into mech suits and airtight containers and Mario having to free them all more-or-less single-handed. That's some Hitler shit. Also, Ivo has seemingly endless resources to construct all kinds of mechanical behemoths. See: every single Eggman boss fight, Eggmanland (in Unleashed and Colours), both Death Eggs, his ridiculously large fleet in Sonic Heroes... Yeah, Bowser showed off similar resourcefulness in the Galaxy games, but at least then he had the power of the cosmos at his fingertips.

I didn't even mention Eggman's ridiculous intelligence, most notably with extreme efficiency at artificial intelligence development (Metal Sonic), and also the part where He Is Canonically A Faster Runner Than Sonic. Can you think anything Bowser can do better than Mario? ANYTHING?

Synth

is this a joke

Bowser is a fucking CLOWN. He literally rides in a vehicle called a clown car, but more importantly Mario constantly rocks his shit. And usually, Mario does that before Bowser really does anything of note. Kidnapping the leader of a foreign country is certainly not a minor offence, but that's as grand as his (fulfilled, if not attempted) crimes have ever gotten.

Eggman is a tyrant. He enslaves animals (which are more or less sentient in Sonic's world, even the flickies) into robot suits and has them do his bidding. It's the equivalent of Bowser strapping more or less every single Toad in the Mushroom Kingdom into mech suits and airtight containers and Mario having to free them all more-or-less single-handed. That's some Hitler shit. Also, Ivo has seemingly endless resources to construct all kinds of mechanical behemoths. See: every single Eggman boss fight, Eggmanland (in Unleashed and Colours), both Death Eggs, his ridiculously large fleet in Sonic Heroes... Yeah, Bowser showed off similar resourcefulness in the Galaxy games, but at least then he had the power of the cosmos at his fingertips.

I didn't even mention Eggman's ridiculous intelligence, most notably with extreme efficiency at artificial intelligence development (Metal Sonic), and also the part where He Is Canonically A Faster Runner Than Sonic. Can you think anything Bowser can do better than Mario? ANYTHING?

The bolded is the big one for me. Bowser (and his worthless children) typically don't even get to play their game... they just get rekt immediately. Mario's challenges are entirely related to the journey to Bowser, and by the time he gets there, Bowser may as well just be a slightly more elaborate signpost.

Fumpster

This is actually a way harder question than Sonic vs. Mario because I genuinely really, really like both of these characters...

I'd probably put the edge over Bowser just because of the Mario RPGs, but in terms of mainline platformers Eggman definitely wins. Overall I'm more of a Bowser boy though.

Village

Can you think anything Bowser can do better than Mario? ANYTHING?

Bowser is much stronger than mario , which is why most of the boss fights you have with bowser is tricking him into killing himself or destroying the level around him. He also came back from the death as a skeleton.

Eggman wins though. You could make the argument that bowser JR is actually super smart, and I have. But that ain't Big B so, sorry boswer.

But eggman wins because he when its addressed, handles a topic a lot of video game villians of their ilk don't actually get to , which is a threat to them that is actually more threatening than the guy they want to get, so when its addressed the guy as to work out or actively avoid said threat.

A lot of villains are tough and i'm the bad guy , what have you. Eggman is strait up " no i'm a coward, no I'm a coward imma live though fuck you ". And that's why I respect him.

Camjo-Z

I guess I'd have to go with Eggman, as he generally has more of a personality than Bowser. That said, I vastly preferred Eggman when he was an actual threat in the early games compared to the joke character he is now.

Vidiot

I love both, but I'd personally give it to Eggman. He's had much better and varied boss fights over the years, the music for most fights has been better usually, he is easily the more villainous villain, and last but not least he is given personality in his main games and not just RPG spinoffs.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Eggman is better in the main series Sonic games than Bowser is in the main series Mario games.

Bowser is better in the spinoffs.

It's interesting that people cite Eggman for having more varied boss battles, but personally the fact that you whoop his ass 5+ times per game and then was relegated to sub-boss status once the 3D games hit is part of why he's unremarkable to me

Plus, there is no Robotnik equivalent of Giga Bowser

Platy

Eggman on pure variety and gameplay... and once being voiced by Deem Bristow. They're both pretty close if we include Mario RPG's and external media for both
and exclude Sunshine and 06
, at least in terms of having effective personalities/humor. Considering Mario's not much to bounce off of, that's pretty damn good for Bowser. Though he still doesn't have the GOAT collab:

147261885368031.jpg

Megaman would be INSTA KILLED by sonic spikes

Top Bottom