• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM October 2008 Reviews and Rumors.

Ken Masters said:
LMAO @ 12 pages of ads before any content, is that a record for a vg mag? only in fashion mags do the ads actually mean something to the reader

but this must be a sign at how bad EGM is doing financially

Still, at 106 pages it's the thickest issues released so far this year. A far cry from the 300+ they used to put out in the early 90s, though...

_leech_ said:
Still, at 106 pages it's the thickest issues released so far this year. A far cry from the 300+ they used to put out in the early 90s, though...
How many of those 300 pages were quality writing or content, though? Half, maybe less? :|

I AM JOHN! said:
How many of those 300 pages were quality writing or content, though? Half, maybe less? :|

I don't have any issues that far back (started subscribing around #70) so I don't know, but they did have enough content to fill two magazines for a while (remember EGM²?).

mm04

George K. said:
Yes!! 'A', bitchez!! OMG *so* happy!!!

<dances round room/>

:lol :lol at least you're not shy about displaying your feelings. Good job, Rare. Now make it 2 for 2 this year with Banjo grading well. I'm glad VP2 got an A. Now, silence to those $39.99 makes me wary about the quality people... one of the more ridiculous arguments on GAF this year.

neoism

_leech_ said:
I don't have any issues that far back (started subscribing around #70) so I don't know, but they did have enough content to fill two magazines for a while (remember EGM²?).
I have a few (OLLLDDD), they have alot of quality writing, but the main reason for the issues being so big was from the mini strategy guides and up to 2 page previews for one game! Now-a-days were lucky to get a paragraph. We have gamefaqs or Brady for the guides!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
B-Rad Lascelle said:
The full version of TFU looked terrible when it was being demoed at X08 last week. It will still sell a ton of copies next month, though... especially the stripped-down Wii version.

I'd laugh if the Wii version ended up being the best one. And all things considered, that may be the case.

Ken Masters said:
LMAO @ 12 pages of ads before any content, is that a record for a vg mag? only in fashion mags do the ads actually mean something to the reader

Your face is doing bad financially.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I AM JOHN! said:
Yeah I kind of agree with this. The older issues had to be huge because they didn't have a website where they could go into greater detail. But now, want a full page review of The Last Guy? Just head to 1UP.com

If they're gonna pick and choose what goes in the magazine, I'd rather it be interesting articles instead of just dry reviews and previews. If I wanna know what games to buy, I'll do that sort of research on the net.

Johnkers

Ken Masters said:

The ads are a good thing

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
SuperSonic1305 said:
Note: Holy shit this EGM has 12 pages of ads before even getting to the contents page. The magazine also has 2 page ads all over the place throughout.
James, do me a favor and fatten up the content by 20 pages before I buy a subscription. Put that ad revenue to use, brah.

- EA/MTV publishing Brutal Legend
Sweet Jebus, I hope this is true. Can EA pick up Ghostbusters, too, while they're at it?

Andrex said:
I'd laugh if the Wii version ended up being the best one. And all things considered, that may be the case.

Bozon said he's played both the 360 and Wii versions and prefers it on Wii.

To be honest, I think it'll be a disappointment all-round though.

Dante

So wasn't it like most of Lucasarts QA team that got let go a couple months back? I guess we shouldn't be surprised it's buggy.

0 HP

SuperSonic1305 said:
Dragon Quest IV - B+
Good: Crisp remake of a classic
Bad: 3D patina doesn't mask some dated elements
day one baby

don't the good/bad points kind of contradict each other though? i always thought patina sort of had a negative denotation.

Mau ®

I AM JOHN! said:

Actually, they used to cover games better back then. Great sized previews.

It all went to hell when they changed the layout and look. The previews got insanely short and stupid. I remember a "preview" of Siren was something like this "Play as 7 characters who are all dumb enough to wander into a cursed village". Thats all it said! It was embarrasing.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
inthezone said:
God of War 3 in 2010? Im quite sure it'll ship in 2009.
I'm guessing it's being done by the same team that did GoW2? Or is is the team that made the PSP game? I wish Jaffe would come back to assist with the jump to next gen...

Mau ®

sykoex said:
I'm guessing it's being done by the same team that did GoW2? Or is is the team that made the PSP game? I wish Jaffe would come back to assist with the jump to next gen...

GOW3 started midway through development of GOW2. Not a full sized team, but enough people to start pre-production.

When GOW2 finished, all resources went to GOW3. By now the game has been 2 years in development. Im guessing it'll be a holiday 2009 title.

In fact, Im calling a Early 2009 Game Informer blowout on the game.

Edit: GOW PSP Team is not handling the game. Sony Santa Monica is.

SSM25

I AM JOHN! said:

I have been a subscriber for 13 years and every page back then was pure quality, this magazine just writes crap since 2001.

Hmm, Rare's average rankings have been moving up sequentially over the last several years. I think they're making a comeback... in slow-motion.

70.4 Grabbed by the Ghoulies
79.1 Conker: Live and Reloaded
81.0 Kameo
81.5 Perfect Dark Zero
85.4 Viva Pinata
??? Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
??? Banjo Kazooie
Profit

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
2600 said:
Hmm, Rare's average rankings have been moving up sequentially over the last several years. I think they're making a comeback... in slow-motion.

70.4 Grabbed by the Ghoulies
79.1 Conker: Live and Reloaded
81.0 Kameo
81.5 Perfect Dark Zero
85.4 Viva Pinata
??? Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
??? Banjo Kazooie
Profit
Whoa

Foil

Paranoid_Robot said:
NHL 09 :O

I thought this was going to be the best hockey videogame ever? :(

The demo was great. EGM isn't exactly the place I'd be trusting for hockey game reviews. It's just an opinion anyways, people here need to stop taking reviews to heart. Play games yourself and see what you think of it.

Andrex said:

I'm sure you'll cry tears of joy if that happens. Congrats.

_Alkaline_ said:
Bozon said he's played both the 360 and Wii versions and prefers it on Wii.

To be honest, I think it'll be a disappointment all-round though.

Bozon prefers something Nintendo related? My mind is blown.

And I agree with your last statement. Seems like a game that had potential it won't fully live up to. Should be a decent rental on all platforms though, the demo is enjoyable despite the flaws. I can see it selling like crazy either way. The visuals/tech alone will probably move lots of copies.

Prine

Banned
Proof is there, in front of your eyes. Rare are almost back to legendary status.

What an incredible studio. Talent leaves and you grow more.... well done guys. Once Banjo comes out i dont hink there is anyone that can hate.

Levi

Banned
I'm mentally bumping up the scores for Force Unleashed up one letter grade because it's fricking Star Wars. If Boba Fett shows up, then it gets bumped up two letter grades. Day one no matter what. (Plus I liked the demo.)

Ifrit said:
I was hoping for better scores for SW:TFU

Cave story for WiiWare? FUCKING YES!!!!
Wonder what it will look like...if they change it that is. Im not saying they should, but they may considering, you know.

Prine said:
Proof is there, in front of your eyes. Rare are almost back to legendary status.

What an incredible studio. Talent leaves and you grow more.... well done guys. Once Banjo comes out i dont hink there is anyone that can hate.

Joke post?

Dali

I AM JOHN! said:
A good portion of it was blurbs on Japanese games with the occasional full preview. The back had codes and more stuff on games. I remember Sega CD and 3D0 stuff being near the back. So yeah, a good portion of that 300 pages was actual good content. Of course no one cares now w/ the internet and all.

I think Egm should go the Next gen route, if they want to be successful. Next gen used to be pure interviews of the buisness side of things, with people such as Tom Kalinski, Sam Tramiel, Howard Lincoln, and many other industry vets and devs.

Since you can get news on upcoming software and game stats on the web, why not put content that the web doesn't have in your mag? Egm is shit still in my eyes, and hasn't been good since the Steve Harris day's, But there is always room for improvement!!

Hellion

Im amazed the tards really believed God of war is a year away:lol

Shit I've read about FF13 for 2 years...still no game. Also Chains of Olympus is still not on the PS2.

KeioSquad2 said:
I think Egm should go the Next gen route, if they want to be successful. Next gen used to be pure interviews of the buisness side of things, with people such as Tom Kalinski, Sam Tramiel, Howard Lincoln, and many other industry vets and devs.

Since you can get news on upcoming software and game stats on the web, why not put content that the web doesn't have in your mag? Egm is shit still in my eyes, and hasn't been good since the Steve Harris day's, But there is always room for improvement!!

Yeah. EGM should imitate all the dead magazines in order to be more successful. That's a given.

TaKeRx

Guitar Hero: Beatles
Yes, make it happen. This will be game of the forever for me, but I doubt it, since their songs aren't even in iTunes :( .

btkadams

TaKeRx said:
Guitar Hero: Beatles
Yes, make it happen. This will be game of the forever for me, but I doubt it, since their songs aren't even in iTunes :( .
just write a letter to michael jackson. doesnt he own all the rights to the beatles songs now?

daegan

Segata Sanshiro said:
Gives me confidence that it will be as good as GMR eventually. Don't want to inflate his head or anything, but Mielke is a really good EiC.

His features sometimes tend a bit towards the I-LOVE-YOU-fanboy side, though, and that bothers me.

Top Bottom