• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM / OPM God of War Reviews ...

Soul4ger

Oh, man...

"This game is waaaaay too good-looking to be a PS2 title. Kratos' primary weapon, the blades of chaos, is also incredibly cool. I'm typically a button masher when it comes to combat, but the combo animations were so rewarding that I spent a lot of time in empty rooms practicing my moves.

"And everything else? Overall, War offers a great mix of fighting and puzzles. It's not that long (I also beat it in about 10 hours), but the cycle of puzzles and action was starting to get a bit old by the end, so the length is just about perfect."

THAT'S the review for a game that scored 10/10? And people at EGM are embarassed about how reviews USED to read?

Teddman

Soul4ger said:
THAT'S the review for a game that scored 10/10? And people at EGM are embarassed about how reviews USED to read?
I agree, some of these reviews feel like one person wrote the text and another awarded the score. From IGN's 9.8 review:
While GOW climaxes with a challenging, epic three-part battle, it only really features two significant encounters prior to that (one being the overplayed Hydra in the first level). A lack of bosses leaves us wanting, but only because the ones that were included are so much fun they open the imagination door to an endless amount of possibilities grounded in the dark Greek mythos upon which the game was built

After all the amazing combat comes a series of somewhat less enjoyable platforming components. Not awful by any stretch, the many demanding instant-die jump and climb segments of God of War (particularly those that revolve around Hades flavored zones in and out of Pandora's Temple) are pretty frustrating. Kratos was designed for battle, not navigating rotating pillars and jumping over saw blades.

This leaves us with the puzzles, which range from obscure doorway discovery, "So that's where the stupid exit is hidden," to simplistic push and pull box allocation, "If I can snuggly fit all of these different rocks into the wall, I can pass." The idea of utilizing a mad architect and his elaborate deathtrap of a temple to explain away the more fantastical puzzles was a good notion, but to then deemphasize that by making those puzzles based on little thought and random area navigation is pretty lame.
Doesn't sound like a 9.8 to me. *Note that this is a criticism of the review logic and not the game itself...

I'm generally against buying 50 dollar games, but this is incredibly tempting. If gaffers are raving about it post-release I'll pick it up.

robojimbo said:
Said before and will be said again. $40 at Media Play and $50 with free $10 Gift Card at Circuit City next week.

Thanks for mentioning, unluckily for me though I live in Alaska, and I believe our Circuit City went out of business long ago. My best bet is a few tradins at Gamestop. :D

Socreges

Banned
So,

-simple puzzles
-frustrating platforming
-very few bosses
-kind of short

The game must be utterly fantastic otherwise because there have been some [seemingly] significant complaints levelled against it and yet still manages such high scores. I've seen several videos, though, and the whole game reeks of polish and atmosphere. I can see how the overall experience can still be very enjoyable despite the sum of its parts sometimes being shoddy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doom_Bringer said:
People who are saying the game is too short beat it on Easy, do yourself a favor and play on Hard mode.

Yeah, but don't you have to beat it on Normal before you unlock God Mode? That's what I've heard, hopefully you can just kick up the difficulty before you start a new game.

Grizzlyjin said:
Yeah, but don't you have to beat it on Normal before you unlock God Mode? That's what I've heard, hopefully you can just kick up the difficulty before you start a new game.

Easy, Normal, and Hard from the start. God mode is unlocked after you beat the game.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Doom_Bringer said:
Easy, Normal, and Hard from the start. God mode is unlocked after you beat the game.

Oh, so God Mode is sorta like the 'Dante Must Die' Mode in the Devil May Cry games.

Excellent, thanks for clearing that up.

Amir0x

Banned
Deepthroat said:
Haha this is fucking unbelievable! Will this top RE4? One can only hope :D

Why would we "hope" that one was better than the other? Personally, I hope they both go down as some of the best games this gen.

Amir0x

Banned
beerbelly said:
How come I've never heard of this game?

I don't know! If you hang out at GAF, I mean, we've discussed it tons of time and had like a 17 page thread about the demo :p

Because even the demo was that impressive!

Top Bottom