• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Saitou said:
I live in Argentina and take offense to this comment :mad:

;__;

Argentina is a beautiful country with amazing beef. :D

When I said third world, I meant more like Afghanistan. No offense to any Afghani Gaffers.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Tobor said:
Argentina is a beautiful country with amazing beef. :D

When I said third world, I meant more like Afghanistan. No offense to any Afghani Gaffers.

Have you tried the goat meat? It's amazing.

Matt

jimbo said:
Kameo and Viva Pinata are great examples of what Rare is capable of doing without Nintendo. MS is giving them the chance of realizing some of their own original idea
Umm, Nintendo certainly allowed Rare to produce it's own original IPs (Perfect Dark, Conker, Banjo-Kazooie, Jet Force Gemini, etc.) I really don't know what you're trying to say with this comment.

traveler

Not Wario
P209 said:
EGMs review is far from Gospel

If Lair and BD really are horrid (Horrid? That is a HUGE stretch. At worst, EGM says they are mediocre.) games as they claim they won't be the only ones giving out 5s-6s. EGM is one magazine with very unprofessional magazine staff that has fallen behind the times. ( :lol )
They still don't get why Hanna Montana owns (Whut) and why high school musical has legions of fans. (I'm pretty sure they understand why. It's just the quality of the games they seem to dismiss- and rightfully so. Besides, this is quite a bit off-topic.) It's not surprising the F5 cherry was popped by EGM when they decided to take a new venture with sixaxis only flight controls. It's not traditional controls and requires a new approach to a flying game. (They only object when the new controls hurt the experience more than help it. See: Zelda review, Excitetruck review, any number of DS titles being reviewed, etc.)

And for traditionalist if it's not pick up and play easy the whole experience from the first moment forward is ruined. (Ok. I get it. You are, and have been, set in this opinion from the beginning. It's clear that reason is not present here.) I'm sure F5 has to take fault here as well with not offering alternate controller configurations for the purist. I find it hard to believe that the controls were just broken difficult maybe but broken enough to ruin the story gameplay and fun factor? All I can say about it is wow I just have to try this for my self and see what the other reviews look like.

GDGF

Soothsayer
CajoleJuice said:
Courtesy of a former GAF mainstay

1185767992689.png

:lol Now that is mean :(

:lol

tanod

when is my burrito
Just so we're clear here:

EGM/1UP - 5 is average
Almost everywhere else: 7.5 is average

or is 6 and 8.0 a better comparison?

Am I wrong? Skip?

skip

tanod said:
Just so we're clear here:

EGM/1UP - 5 is average
Almost everywhere else: 7.5 is average

or is 6 and 8.0 a better comparison?

Am I wrong? Skip?

that's correct.

if this reaction is any indication, it's going to be a fun fall/holiday season.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Prine said:
Always thought Lair and Heavenly Sword were mediocre games. HS will be the next victim, dont be shocked

HS is a 6.5 - 7 based on just the demo. If they cleaned up the final game, which apparently they have, its going to get pretty good reviews.

P209

traveler said:
EGMs review is far from Gospel

If Lair and BD really are horrid (Horrid? That is a HUGE stretch. At worst, EGM says they are mediocre.) games as they claim they won't be the only ones giving out 5s-6s. EGM is one magazine with very unprofessional magazine staff that has fallen behind the times. ( )
They still don't get why Hanna Montana owns (Whut) and why high school musical has legions of fans. (I'm pretty sure they understand why. It's just the quality of the games they seem to dismiss- and rightfully so. Besides, this is quite a bit off-topic.) It's not surprising the F5 cherry was popped by EGM when they decided to take a new venture with sixaxis only flight controls. It's not traditional controls and requires a new approach to a flying game. (They only object when the new controls hurt the experience more than help it. See: Zelda review, Excitetruck review, any number of DS titles being reviewed, etc.)

And for traditionalist if it's not pick up and play easy the whole experience from the first moment forward is ruined. (Ok. I get it. You are, and have been, set in this opinion from the beginning. It's clear that reason is not present here.) I'm sure F5 has to take fault here as well with not offering alternate controller configurations for the purist. I find it hard to believe that the controls were just broken difficult maybe but broken enough to ruin the story gameplay and fun factor? All I can say about it is wow I just have to try this for my self and see what the other reviews look like.

Traveler I said what I said and made the statements that I made based off of what they wrote. Which is contrary to many previews of the game from sites like IGN and GameSpot.

To call a game mediocre is fine. my only question is were the controls that frustrating that they ruined the game? or did the story lack depth? was the gameplay unplayable due the controls? Are the objectives unclear or impossible to fulfill with motion sense?

To blast a game like Lair you are going to have to give me more than frustrating controls few bright spots here and their. or lock on system jacked camera frustrating. I've played plenty of games with bad cameras MGS comes to mind. The review if that is the full review is lacking substance I want to know in depth what made this title fall to pieces. We all know Garnett isn't a Motion sense fan so he's impressions need to be crystal clear to me.

But I'm just a PSWii60 fan never mind me

skip

jet1911 said:
Lots of lulz and tearz?

same as usual -- games that have been hyped forever won't get the "right" scores, people will register their opinions on the internet, a 30-page flame war will erupt, photoshops and comparison pics will be made, accusations of bias and being on the take, bannings a plenty...and then the game will actually come out, it'll get a 3 page "official" thread, and it's quickly on to the next debate.

rocktober.

traveler

Not Wario
P209 said:
Traveler I said what I said and made the statements that I made based off of what they wrote. Which is contrary to many previews of the game from sites like IGN and GameSpot.

To call a game mediocre is fine. my only question is were the controls that frustrating that they ruined the game? or did the story lack depth? was the gameplay unplayable due the controls? Are the objectives unclear or impossible to fulfill with motion sense?

To blast a game like Lair you are going to have to give me more than frustrating controls few bright spots here and their. or lock on system jacked camera frustrating. I've played plenty of games with bad cameras MGS comes to mind. The review if that is the full review is lacking substance I want to know in depth what made this title fall to pieces. We all know Garnett isn't a Motion sense fan so he's impressions need to be crystal clear to me.

But I'm just a PSWii60 fan never mind me

My point is that many games employing "non-traditional" controls have been recieved fairly well among them, so it is clear that they are not adverse to motion controls or change on principle. As such, their complaints have some weight to it and, given that this is three reviewers and not just one or two of the three, it seems likely that Lair may have some real problems on its hands. However, they did not "blast" it and all of their scores are equal to or slightly above average, so it can be assumed the game had some "bright spots" (as they say) to it. I can only guess that the story and music are among these.

Edit: Halo 2 got straight tens deservedly. And if the Halo 3 Beta is indicative of the quality of the final product, I wouldn't have any problem in the slightest with a another batch of tens.

KTallguy

Banned
Tobor said:
Shoe is a guaranteed 10.

Yep, absolutely.
I'm not doubting Halo will be a quality game, although it has lost it's thunder just a little bit.

But Halo fans are Halo fans.

Lair, ugh I'm so mixed. I see new videos of people playing it and impressions and all I see is win... either the reviewers just couldn't handle the controls, or the game actually plays bad.

Factor 5 really tried to push motion, but maybe having the option for analog stick play would have been a wise choice, even though I prefer motion.

ari

Banned
KTallguy said:
Yep, absolutely.
I'm not doubting Halo will be a quality game, although it has lost it's thunder just a little bit.

Lair, ugh I'm so mixed. I see new videos of people playing it and impressions and all I see is win... either the reviewers just couldn't handle the controls, or the game actually plays bad.

Factor 5 really tried to push motion, but maybe having the option for analog stick play would have been a wise choice, even though I prefer motion.

halo 3 did not lose its thunder not one bit..... my local gamestop have a countdown for taking more pre-orders... This and gta 4 might be the biggest games of the year, period with halo 3 taking just a little more hype.

for the halo fans stuff.... You must be serious about only halo fans buying the game. :lol I just seen 2 moms on seperate occasions asking for pre-orders at my target i work at. (they can't do it there) :lol. so yea...

didn't factor 5 last game flopped too......

KTallguy

Banned
ari said:
halo 3 did not lose its thunder not one bit..... my local gamestop have a countdown for taking more pre-orders... This and gta 4 might be the biggest games of the year, period with halo 3 taking just a little more hype.

It lost it a little bit with the hardcore. Halo fans are halo fans.

ari said:
for the halo fans stuff.... You must be serious about only halo fans buying the game. :lol I just seen 2 moms on seperate occasions asking for pre-orders at my target i work at. (they can't do it there) :lol. so yea...

Are you saying that those Moms are playing Halo? Or are they buying it for their kids? (Duh.)

ari

Banned
KTallguy said:
It lost it a little bit with the hardcore. Halo fans are halo fans.

Are you saying that those Moms are playing Halo? Or are they buying it for their kids? (Duh.)

kids....duh :lol

Gigglepoo

Tideas said:
Places will be afraid to give bad reviews to Halo 3 because they'll be afarid of the fans :lol

Yes, the only reason Halo gets good scores is because every single reviewer is scared of the fanbase.

KTallguy

Banned
ari said:
kids....duh :lol

And? I'm sure the kids have played Halo 1 and 2.
Halo fans are Halo fans. If you're not a Halo fan in the first place, there's really not much that would compel you to pick up Halo 3 right? I mean, you'd have to play 1 and 2 to know the story, and there are plenty of other shooters (COD4) on the 360.

Note, I'm sure there are some people who will pick up Halo 3 because it looks good and will play well. But I'm betting that the majority of people picking up the game on launch will be Halo fans.

just tray

Banned
this thread is only going because it either satifies or hurts your inner-fanboyism

when i get a ps3 i'm still getting lair.and im still getting blue dragon.

jimbo

Banned
KTallguy said:
Yep, absolutely.

Pffft. Halo 3's thunder hasn't even began. If that Famitsu thread is any indication, so far everything we've seen is like a little thud compared to what's getting ready to happen over the next month and after release. Halo 3's hype doesn't climax until 1 day after its release, that is if the game's as great as the previous versions. The loudest beat comes after most of us have tried it for a couple of hours, figure out cool crap, and start posting about it. THAT's when Halo 3 has arrived.

Gigglepoo

KTallguy said:
If you're not a Halo fan in the first place, there's really not much that would compel you to pick up Halo 3 right? I mean, you'd have to play 1 and 2 to know the story, and there are plenty of other shooters (COD4) on the 360.

Let me get this straight: only Halo fans will buy Halo 3. But somehow Call of Duty 4 is immune to this and will appeal to everyone?

Doesn't every sequel rely on the success of its predecessors? I'm sure the majority of people who buy Brawl and Galaxy will be fans of the previous games in the series as well. That's kind of how popular franchises work. Every loves Mario and Halo, therefore their newest games are always huge sellers.

Pastry

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Let me get this straight: only Halo fans will buy Halo 3. But somehow Call of Duty 4 is immune to this and will appeal to everyone?

Doesn't every sequel rely on the success of its predecessors? I'm sure the majority of people who buy Brawl and Galaxy will be fans of the previous games in the series as well. That's kind of how popular franchises work. Every loves Mario and Halo, therefore their newest games are always huge sellers.

Killzone joke waiting to happen but I won't out of respect for you know people and stuff, and my account no ban please :(

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
skip said:
same as usual -- games that have been hyped forever won't get the "right" scores, people will register their opinions on the internet, a 30-page flame war will erupt, photoshops and comparison pics will be made, accusations of bias and being on the take, bannings a plenty...and then the game will actually come out, it'll get a 3 page "official" thread, and it's quickly on to the next debate.

rocktober.

wise beyond your years.

Haunted

skip said:

rocktober.
That's depressingly accurate.

KTallguy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:

Anyone can look at Call of Duty and relate. It's a WW2 shooter. Or in COD4's case, a moden shooter. It's easy to understand the world and get into it. Lots of military heads in the US too, who love the idea of capping 'insurgants'. You can look at it and pretty much get the concept instantly.

Halo 3 requires a bit more work (but not really much). Perhaps it's an overreaction to say that Halo 3 will only appeal to Halo fans... but I have a hunch that COD4 may do even better than Halo this Christmas. Then again, maybe I'm talking out of my ass, maybe Halo 3 megaton marketing will start, etc.

I'm just rolling these thoughts around in my head, looking at which game is more accessible to the average 360 owner, and COD just looks like it would be more easily understood by a casual shooter fan. What do I know?

Mojovonio

Banned
skip said:

rocktober.

you forgot the eventual LTTP thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom