• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

KTallguy said:
I'm just rolling these thoughts around in my head, looking at which game is more accessible to the average 360 owner, and COD just looks like it would be more easily understood by a casual shooter fan. What do I know?

Apparantly, you haven't read much about Halo 3. I loved Halo: CE and Halo 2, but I'm kind of bored of the Halo multiplayer formula. I only played 40 or so matches of the beta before I moved on. But I am still ridiculously pumped for Halo 3. Check out some of the new stuff they are including in the new game and try to argue that a paint-by-numbers shooter like CoD4 will be able to appeal to more people.

There is not another console FPS out there that can offer the depth and variety of Halo 3. It will be impossible for people to ignore this game.

Since we're talking about exciting new games being released this Fall/Winter that are taking apparently unmerited bashing, I'll toss out NiGHTS for discussion. It's always good for that.

KTallguy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Apparantly, you haven't read much about Halo 3. I loved Halo: CE and Halo 2, but I'm kind of bored of the Halo multiplayer formula. I only played 40 or so matches of the beta before I moved on. But I am still ridiculously pumped for Halo 3. Check out some of the new stuff they are including in the new game and try to argue that a paint-by-numbers shooter like CoD4 will be able to appeal to more people.

There is not another console FPS out there that can offer the depth and variety of Halo 3. It will be impossible for people to ignore this game.

I don't think calling COD4 a paint by numbers FPS is really giving it enough credit.
Not only does it look much better than Halo 3 graphically, but it has a lot of different mission types, realistic weapons and animations, a multiplayer segment, and packs it into a very nice overall package.

Depth and variety is great, and Halo 3 will be filled with the brim with it. However only hardcore people buy games for 'depth', unfortunately. If you take someone who is a casual shooter fan with no experience with either series (or maybe just Gears of War experience), and put them in front of Halo 3 and COD4, I'd bet they'd pick COD4 hands down in most cases.

Gigglepoo

KTallguy said:
If you take someone who is a casual shooter fan with no experience with either series (or maybe just Gears of War experience), and put them in front of Halo 3 and COD4, I'd bet they'd pick COD4 hands down in most cases.

Since you're not basing this on sales numbers, what are you basing this on? And CoD4 is as paint-by-numbers as you can get. It has good graphics and realistic weapons? Wow...

Casual gamers do buy games because of depth. Look at Madden. I struggle playing the game and I'm a diehard gamer and NFL fan.

tanod

when is my burrito
Gigglepoo said:
Let me get this straight: only Halo fans will buy Halo 3. But somehow Call of Duty 4 is immune to this and will appeal to everyone?

I think it's more of a function that 99% of people who will be buying Halo 3 already know they are going to do so and that's not going to change in the next 2 months. Conversely, there is potential for increased awareness or hype that can be built on titles like Call of Duty 4 or whatever.

KTallguy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Since you're not basing this on sales numbers, what are you basing this on? And CoD4 is as paint-by-numbers as you can get. It has good graphics and realistic weapons? Wow...

Casual gamers do buy games because of depth. Look at Madden. I struggle playing the game and I'm a diehard gamer and NFL fan.

I'm basing it on sales. But again, I'm not 100% positive in my assertion. I'm just posing a question.

Casual gamers don't buy Madden because of depth. They buy Madden because of marketing and lack of options.

Gigglepoo said:
Why is the fourth Call of Duty game different than the third Halo game?

Please read my previous post.

Gigglepoo

tanod said:
I think it's more of a function that 99% of people who will be buying Halo 3 already know they are going to do so and that's not going to change in the next 2 months. Conversely, there is potential for increased awareness or hype that can be built on titles like Call of Duty 4 or whatever.

KTallguy said:
I'm basing it on sales. But again, I'm not 100% positive in my assertion. I'm just posing a question.

Casual gamers don't buy Madden because of depth. They buy Madden because of marketing and lack of options.

Halo 3 on one platform will outsell Call of Duty 4 on three. Or do you think CoD4 will sell better?

There is a reason Madden has become ridiculously complex over the years. People love it. People buy it because it offers a very realistic experience. If it didn't offer that experience, if it didn't have the sheer depth it has now, it wouldn't be as popular. Do you think EA packs if full of options for the fun of it? If there wasn't a demand, you wouldn't see the depth and options.

KTallguy said:
Not only does it look much better than Halo 3 graphically

I don't know about that anymore. Some of the new Halo 3 stuff being released is looking pretty damn good to me.

h1.jpg

h7.jpg

h6.jpg

h9.jpg

h8.jpg

h10.jpg

h3.jpg

Holy crap @ using grainy scans in a graphics quality argument. Although I do expect the graphics quality of Halo 3 to at least be more consistent. The Halo 3 style actually reminds me of Haze (yes really), but COD4 is pretty inconsistent.

KTallguy

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I don't know about that anymore. Some of the new Halo 3 stuff being released is looking pretty damn good to me.

Looks great, but not as good as COD4. That game looks crazy good. And Killzone 2 looks even crazier IMO.

The Halo trailer they showed at E3 is the image I have in my head, until I see some new footage. Although that trailer looks nice in a few spots, it didn't wow me at all.

COD4 just does so many amazing things with the environment and the animations. Coupled with a theme that anyone can really get into and understand, and you have a breakout hit.

arias

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:

You forget to say in a poised manner, "It's a.. subtle sort of beauty."

x

vilmer_

Gigglepoo said:

Casual gamers are more intrigued by realistic looking games and weapons. Halo's not going to suddenly grab millions of more fans. Call of Duty's fanbase is a much more mature bunch, both age wise and personality wise who can afford to upgrade their PC's at regular intervals, and enjoy doing so.

KTallguy said:
Looks great, but not as good as COD4. That game looks crazy good. And Killzone 2 looks even crazier IMO.

The Halo trailer they showed at E3 is the image I have in my head, until I see some new footage. Although that trailer looks nice in a few spots, it didn't wow me at all.

COD4 just does so many amazing things with the environment and the animations. Coupled with a theme that anyone can really get into and understand, and you have a breakout hit.

The "problem" with the trailer was that the character animation was crap. You don't get that from screens, you know.

Gigglepoo

KTallguy said:

You haven't actually seen the single player, though, have you? It looks amazing.

If you look at the Wii's success, graphics don't even matter. At all. I don't know how you can argue that CoD4 will outsell Halo 3 because of graphics and realistic weapons. Doesn't Crysis look even better? Will that be the best selling game of the year?

tanod

when is my burrito
Gigglepoo said:

I guess I was talking about hype, not sales. When looking at it that way, COD4 has more potential to build hype.

Halo has a book series, a graphical novel, a $130 Legendary edition. Things that few other games series' fans would even consider buying, especially COD4.

hmmm, comparing H3 graphics...you should compare the trailer. Game looked MUCH more interesting to me than COD4, but graphically it wasnt as impressive...It looks better in these shots, but I reckon it looks the same as before in motion. Good, but not absolutely top tier

KTallguy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
You haven't actually seen the single player, though, have you? It looks amazing.

I saw the trailer. That's what I'm basing my thoughts on. Until I see new footage that's all I can do right?

Gigglepoo said:
If you look at the Wii's success, graphics don't even matter. At all. I don't know how you can argue that CoD4 will outsell Halo 3 because of graphics and realistic weapons. Doesn't Crysis look even better? Will that be the best selling game of the year?

1. Wii has nothing to do with the market we're talking about.
2. Crysis is only available to a limited, high end PC market.
3. COD is available to anyone with a PC, Xbox 360, or PS3.
4. COD is much more visually accessible to the average casual shooter fan who does not play Halo.

Again, I know Halo 3 will sell very well. I'm just curious how COD4 will do. I wonder how close the sales will be.

Gigglepoo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I like how in this thread we start arguing over COD4 and Halo 3.

::smacks forehead until brains seep out of ears::

I get annoyed when people say stupid things like "Places will be afraid to give bad reviews to Halo 3 because they'll be afarid of the fans." It's insulting to Bungie and EGM. I hate crap like that. It's just the bitter tears from someone whose most anticipated game scored poorly because they thing EGM hates a certain company. It's so juvenile it hurts.

KTallguy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
I get annoyed when people say stupid things like "Halo will get high scores because the fanboys will revolt if it doesn't." It's insulting to Bungie and EGM. I hate crap like that. It's just the bitter tears from someone whose most anticipated game scored poorly because they thing EGM hates a certain company. It's so juvenile it hurts.

It's stupid. However there is bias and politics in reviewing. Don't ever forget that.

And there's always personal bias. I know that I couldn't give an objective review of any Metal Gear Solid game, because I love the series so much. I'd overlook every flaw and give it a solid 10, no doubt.

Just sayin'.

Gigglepoo

KTallguy said:
It's stupid. However there is bias and politics in reviewing. Don't ever forget that.

And there's always personal bias. I know that I couldn't give an objective review of any Metal Gear Solid game, because I love the series so much. I'd overlook every flaw and give it a solid 10, no doubt.

Just sayin'.

That's probably why you aren't a reviewer. Not every reviewer is steeped in biased and EGM has some of the best people out there. How many other publications use 5.0 as an average?

KTallguy

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
So will you be the first to call bias if EGM gives Halo 3 straight 10s?

If it's a skewed review compared to a lot of other publications, sure.

I could say the VF5 review is biased too, after all, they had 3 1up shows on the title. I'm super biased, as I think VF5 is a great fighting game.

arias

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
That's probably why you aren't a reviewer. Not every reviewer is steeped in biased and EGM has some of the best people out there. How many other publications use 5.0 as an average?

"Claim". Not use, "claim".

It's an easy excuse for them to fall back onto whenever people rage against their 5s. "Hey come on guys, it's an average game lolz!". I don't think it's fair to say that reviewers are not biased.. it could even be the case that they conceal it better. This is why it's best we get to know our reviewers and track their history, and knowing their preferences, know when to throw bits of salt.

x

skip said:
that'll happen in march.
this is GAF. the LTTP thread happens two weeks after the game's release. "wow, guys, I'm SO LATE buying this! i better start my own thread with the same information as in the other one. mod me plz"

Gigglepoo said:
EGM has some of the best people out there.

Hahahawhat? Although I suppose it is possible that the standards in the [US] gaming news media industry are so miserably low that the EGM people might be considered top notch. Scary prospect, but not necessarily unrealistic.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
arias said:
This is why it's best we get to know our reviewers and track their history, and knowing their preferences, know when to throw bits of salt.

x

This was, is and always will be the best way of determining if you should pay attention to a particular review.

It's one of the things that infuriates me about magazines like Edge where they don't let you know who reviewed the game. It is simply "Edge thinks the game is a 5/10"

Razoric

Banned
After whats his face review of The Darkness I honestly don't listen to any of their knee jerk reviews anymore. If / when Gamespot, IGN, Gamespy, etc give LAIR a 6.5 or lower, then I'll be worried.

Gigglepoo said:
EGM has some of the best people out there.

Have you listened to EGM Live? :lol

ari

Banned
KTallguy said:
I don't think calling COD4 a paint by numbers FPS is really giving it enough credit.
Not only does it look much better than Halo 3 graphically, but it has a lot of different mission types, realistic weapons and animations, a multiplayer segment, and packs it into a very nice overall package.

Depth and variety is great, and Halo 3 will be filled with the brim with it. However only hardcore people buy games for 'depth', unfortunately. If you take someone who is a casual shooter fan with no experience with either series (or maybe just Gears of War experience), and put them in front of Halo 3 and COD4, I'd bet they'd pick COD4 hands down in most cases.

your hate on halo 3 is showing horribly.... cod4 looks better then most games coming out this year. So why use halo 3?

and stop saying that only hardcore people buy games for depth... what are you talking about... do you think that halo 2 is on the charts because of only the hardcore....casuals buys it just as much... give me a break please.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
skip said:
same as usual -- games that have been hyped forever won't get the "right" scores, people will register their opinions on the internet, a 30-page flame war will erupt, photoshops and comparison pics will be made, accusations of bias and being on the take, bannings a plenty...and then the game will actually come out, it'll get a 3 page "official" thread, and it's quickly on to the next debate.

rocktober.
Am I voyeuristic for loving to watch it unfold?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
My god, this thread is going to surpass the recent NPD threads without breaking a sweat if this keeps up.

If this is the result for Lair, I dread to see what would happen with Uncharted and Killzone. :lol

ari

Banned
Razoric said:
After whats his face review of The Darkness I honestly don't listen to any of their knee jerk reviews anymore. If / when Gamespot, IGN, Gamespy, etc give LAIR a 6.5 or lower, then I'll be worried.

Have you listened to EGM Live? :lol
you can't be serious about egm being the shitfest of the review crop, you just can't? don't kid yourself,if the game would of got all 9's, you would of be singing in a different tune.

KTallguy

Banned
ari said:
your hate on halo 3 is showing horribly.... cod4 looks better then most games coming out this year. So why use halo 3?

I don't hate Halo 3. I'm not super interested in it, but I know it will be a good game. Bungie makes good Multiplayer shooters, and since Halo 3 is the last in the series, it'll wrap up all the story points that were unanswered in the previous two games.

Don't put words in my mouth.

ari said:
and stop saying that only hardcore people buy games for depth... what are you talking about... do you think that halo 2 is on the charts because of only the hardcore....casuals buys it just as much... give me a break please.

I'd argue that I'm pretty damn correct about hardcore people buying games for depth. I'm doubting that the average Halo 2 multiplayer participant spent the time to learn how to exploit crazy jumping bugs and the melee attack into instant firing (sorry I forgot the correct terms).

That being said I'm sure Halo 3 will have accessible gameplay. I'm just arguing that COD4 will appeal more to someone who isn't already a Halo fan and has bought the previous games in the series.

Razoric

Banned
ari said:
you can't be serious about egm being the shitfest of the review crop, you just can't? don't kid yourself,if the game would of got all 9's, you would of be singing in a different tune.

No I wouldn't. I fully expect LAIR to be mediocre. EGM's reviews have been sub-par for quite some time now. Like I said before if you don't believe me, go listen to their editor in chief rant on EGM Live for a few episodes... see how much respect you'll have for that magazine then. :lol

KTallguy said:
Anyone can look at Call of Duty and relate. It's a WW2 shooter. Or in COD4's case, a moden shooter. It's easy to understand the world and get into it. Lots of military heads in the US too, who love the idea of capping 'insurgants'. You can look at it and pretty much get the concept instantly.

Halo 3 requires a bit more work (but not really much). Perhaps it's an overreaction to say that Halo 3 will only appeal to Halo fans... but I have a hunch that COD4 may do even better than Halo this Christmas. Then again, maybe I'm talking out of my ass, maybe Halo 3 megaton marketing will start, etc.

I'm just rolling these thoughts around in my head, looking at which game is more accessible to the average 360 owner, and COD just looks like it would be more easily understood by a casual shooter fan. What do I know?

Gears of War sold nearly as much as Call of Duty 2 and 3 comined, despite "OMG aliens and bald space marines and lasers and cover mechanics". This is a ridiculous statement. Call of Duty = million seller, Halo = multi-million seller, end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom