• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

egm review scores - september 2007 (lair, blue dragon, mario strikers: charged, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

WickedLaharl said:
cod4 selling more than halo3? this thread is so awesome. :lol

But it's more accessible! People hate sci fi crap. Look at how poorly Star Wars has done in the box office. People don't get it.

dante786

Banned
LOL at COD4 outselling Halo. Im sure it will be awesome, and it will sell extremely well, but come on, we're talking about HALO. Last year there were huge arguements over CoD3 vs. Gears, Gears stomped that shit into the ground, and id say its a safe bet halo is going to outperform gears.

I really feel like the only games that can compete with halo sales wise will be GTA4, and possibly mario galaxy and super smash.

KTallguy

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
But it's more accessible! People hate sci fi crap. Look at how poorly Star Wars has done in the box office. People don't get it.

lol @ Star Wars comment.

Anyway, I'm probably wrong, but the thought just crossed my mind, and I wondered if it was possible. True that Gears stomped all over COD3, so probably Halo will stomp all over COD4. It's just interesting to see the power of those respective brands.

BTW, what's the release date for COD4 and Halo 3?

ari

Banned
KTallguy said:
I don't hate Halo 3. I'm not super interested in it, but I know it will be a good game. Bungie makes good Multiplayer shooters, and since Halo 3 is the last in the series, it'll wrap up all the story points that were unanswered in the previous two games.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I'd argue that I'm pretty damn correct about hardcore people buying games for depth. I'm doubting that the average Halo 2 multiplayer participant spent the time to learn how to exploit crazy jumping bugs and the melee attack into instant firing (sorry I forgot the correct terms).

That being said I'm sure Halo 3 will have accessible gameplay. I'm just arguing that COD4 will appeal more to someone who isn't already a Halo fan and has bought the previous games in the series.

what are you talking about? why is cod 4 and halo 3 is even in this thread? jumping bugs, and melee attacks? you think thats an average halo 2 hardcore participant. :lol, you think that cod 4 will do better this holiday then halo 3? on what grounds....i usually defend most people about opinions but thats a baseless claim.

tell me, do you just vomit on your keyboard and hit the submit button?

jrricky

Banned
To me, Halo 3 is a little more easy on the eyes with its varied color scheme. COD4 graphics are too realistically messy.

On the Lair review, its kinda weird its getting scores equivalent to movie licensed games.:lol

Tideas

Banned
jrricky said:
To me, Halo 3 is a little more easy on the eyes with its varied color scheme. COD4 graphics are too realistically messy.

On the Lair review, its kinda weird its getting scores equivalent to movie licensed games.:lol

It's a trap

Gigglepoo

I still can't believe that Odin Sphere and Persona have gotten GotM honors in the last few issues. No one can accuse EGM of caving to popular demands. Hopefully, P3 offers a little more entertainment that OS...

I dunno if this was posted, its hard to follow this thread but:

Matthias Worch (Factor 5) said:
As announced earlier this week, development on Lair has finished and the game is off to duplication! It will be in stores on August 14. I learned a ton of new stuff making this game - and if you pour 2 1/2 years of your life into something, it had better be worth it on some personal level.

I'm aware of the reviews, of course. Some are very positive, some are not. The common complaint in those bad reviews seem to be the controls - putting the dragon streering on the motion-sensitive SIXAXIS controller doesn't sit well with some of the experienced gamers. First of all: try it out yourself, give it a chance!
And if you want my side of the story, I will share a simple anecdote: Victoria's family, lead by my 83-year old grandfather in law, was able to pick up Lair in less than 5 inutes, to fly around with the dragon and to play the first mission of the game.That experience right there beats anything that the reviewers can say. Because let's face it: the hardcore crowd is an important part of the market, and I sincerely hope that everybody who reads my page and/or hangs out on NeoGAF, IGN, 1UP on a daily basis will buy Lair and enjoy it. Your guys' opinions are important, and they matter.

BUT... making a game that my entire (extended) family can play, that's how we will keep the creative flame (and our industry!) alive.

Check the official sources for more information on Lair. I enjoyed the experience and have tons of ideas on what to do next. In other words, I have already moved on to the next project... :)

Matthias
Comments (3)

P.S.: Hope you like the new vegetation in the final build :)
http://www.langsuyar.com/news/news.html

That last comment is probably related to complains like mine on GAF :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Matthias said:
Victoria's family, lead by my 83-year old grandfather in law, was able to pick up Lair in less than 5 inutes, to fly around with the dragon and to play the first mission of the game.That experience right there beats anything that the reviewers can say.

BUT... making a game that my entire (extended) family can play, that's how we will keep the creative flame (and our industry!) alive.

Factor 5 Developing for Wii CONFIRMED.

KTallguy said:
Anyway, I'm probably wrong, but the thought just crossed my mind, and I wondered if it was possible. True that Gears stomped all over COD3, so probably Halo will stomp all over COD4. It's just interesting to see the power of those respective brands.
Last I heard, Halo 3 had about 5 million pre-orders. What do COD games normally sell?

Gigglepoo

Does that mean everyone will buy it?

Anyway, scores shouldn't matter for a game like Lair. You ride a ****ing dragon! Anyone with a PS3 and HDTV needs to at least play the game. Then you can decide for yourself if you should keep playing or toss it to your arthritic grandpa.

Check the official sources for more information on Lair. I enjoyed the experience and have tons of ideas on what to do next. In other words, I have already moved on to the next project... :)

I'm outta here before the sh*t hits... RUN! :lol

Dirtbag

Psychotext said:
Last I heard, Halo 3 had about 5 million pre-orders. What do COD games normally sell?

no way halo3 has 5 million pre-orders?!
I mean I hope it does, but has any game had that many pre-orders, ever?

Psychotext said:
I'm outta here before the sh*t hits... RUN! :lol

wait.... wait !!!! Links!!!!!

Gigglepoo

Speevy said:
Well, Halo 2 sold (in reality) nearly 8 million units. So...

Yeah, but this is preorders we're talking about. Do most people preorder their games? Or do they simply walk into Best Buy a day or two after release and plunk down the cash? I can see the Legendary folks putting down their cash early, but for people (like me) who just want the frickin' game and nothing else, I can't imagine there is a huge rush to preorder it.

Did Deathly Hallows even have 5 million preorders?

KTallguy

Banned
Psychotext said:

Halo has definitely outsold COD. I've checked :p
I guess I might as well eat my words :lol. Halo is a supremely powerful brand.
I'm curious how COD4 will sell too. If it puts up a good fight against Halo 3 it would be interesting.

LM4sure

Banned
Speevy said:
Well, Halo 2 sold (in reality) nearly 8 million units. So...

But that was on a console with a much higher user base. I think Halo 2 turned off a lot of people from the Halo franchise. I am one of those people.

LM4sure said:
But that was on a console with a much higher user base. I think Halo 2 turned off a lot of people from the Halo franchise. I am one of those people.

Just because you're one of those people does not make them a lot.
I'm not sure you want to go this route honestly. Crow isn't all that tasty, even fried.

ari

Banned
arias said:
I suprise if you spik engrish.

x

I'm french, but i don't think thats funny when you spelled worst then i did.

Dirtbag 504 said:
monkeys can fly

neogaf1.gif

LM4sure

Banned
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Just because you're one of those people does not make them a lot.
I'm not sure you want to go this route honestly. Crow isn't all that tasty, even fried.

My comment was in regard to the 5m preorders. That is just not possible. I doubt there is ANY crow eating involved in that statement. I will say that I don't think Halo 3 will be much of a system seller. That comment may involve some crow eating, but that's how I feel.

arias

Banned
ari said:
I'm french, but i don't think thats funny when you spelled worst then i did.

I Chinese, I ching chang your chow chang!! I spell no good!! Fook!!!!

Speevy said:
:lol :lol :lol

Oh goodness, no it didn't.

Thank god we have you to tell other people what their opinions are.

x

Sorry, never really bothered to check the info out. I know Halo fans can be pretty crazy so the pre-order figure didn't seem that out of order to me. :lol

[As an example, I have it on pre-order but don't own a 360 yet.]

Speevy

Banned
arias said:

x

I'm just saying, "Halo 2 turned off a lot of people to the franchise." is just one of those message board things that has no basis in reality.

Call Gamestop and report the first thing the person says to you, also ask how many people have preordered Halo 3 from that particular store.

Halo has never been bigger, and its "fall from grace" as is often reported on message boards is like saying Gran Turismo 4 hurt the series.

And actually, I'm not the one who began commenting on a great number of peoples' opinions.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
this is like a forty page game of telephone

start by whispering a couple of controversial scores, and 40 pages later purple monkey dishwasher scored way lower than we expected

besada

Banned
Well, the Lair score doesn't exactly change my mind about a game that already had me a little worried. Not like I won't still play it, mind you, but I'm setting the expectation bar a little lower.

Same goes for Blue Dragon. Not quite as hyped as I was, but it won't stop me from playing it, since I think the vast majority of reviewers are idiots and have wildly different tastes.

Speevy said:
Halo has never been bigger, and its "fall from grace" as is often reported on message boards is like saying Gran Turismo 4 hurt the series.

I agree. The people who think that the Halo series "no longer carries the weight it once had" just happen to represent an extremely vocal minority.

beelzebozo said:
this is like a forty page game of telephone

start by whispering a couple of controversial scores, and 40 pages later purple monkey dishwasher scored way lower than we expected

Not like this was unexpected.

ari

Banned
arias said:

x

hold the **** up, dude, i just read in the official lair thread how you said that 1up and egm was a joke...really? so websites and posters you only agree with have opinions now. please be quiet.

I'm ashame to have my name affiliated with yours.

ari

Banned
LM4sure said:
whatever. maybe I'll be eating crow, maybe I won't. 5% increase in sales doesn't equal a system seller, does it?

5%????????? jesus christ your the most delusional poster on earth. I now like 7 people in my class thats gonna get a 360 with the price drop and halo 3. What claims do you have?

Speevy

Banned
LM4sure said:
whatever. maybe I'll be eating crow, maybe I won't. 5% increase in sales doesn't equal a system seller, does it?

5% over what? Halo 2's sales? The Xbox 360's September 2006 hardware numbers?

You're not making any sense, and you're delusional on top of that.

LM4sure

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
?
So your prediction is the 360 September sales will be only 5% greater than they were in September '06? Or 5% greater than August '07?

I dunno, whatever better suits my argument.

arias

Banned
ari said:
hold the **** up, dude, i just read in the official lair thread how you said that 1up and egm was a joke...really? so websites and posters you only agree with have opinions now. please be quiet.

I'm ashame to have my name affiliated with yours.

I said 1up and EGM were jokes? Ha. I suppose you have mastered the art of spin. You have absolutely no integrity in representing other people's views.

I ashame 2.. little grasshopper go back china ask kung fu master giv nuu name!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom