• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eiji Aonuma thinks that he can top Breath of the Wild. How?!?

Zelda made specifically for Switch would surely look and run a bit better since it wasn't initially designed with the Wii U in mind and pushed it as far as possible.

Anyway, all I can say is I'd love to see you try! Please try, lol.

ckaneo

Zelda made specifically for Switch would surely look and run a bit better since it wasn't initially designed with the Wii U in mind and pushed it as far as possible.

Anyway, all I can say is I'd love to see you try! Please try, lol.
Portable mode runs pretty damn well

Meaty

Fix it how

Allowing us to repair weapons for a price or with some work would be cool.

Let us use those metals we find around to repair the weapons with a blacksmith or something like that.

The way it is right now is realy broken. I sometimes find a group of enemies, and by the time I finish them off I have less weapons than I started with. The enemies drop weapons that break before they could kill them. An enemy having higher durability than the weapon hes carrying is broken imo.

Takahashi said in January that the physics engine in BotW was so impressive and they achieved so much with it, that it's going to be used in other Nintendo games. So I would imagine that it isn't just BotW that will benefit from all of the work poured into Zelda. And hopefully that also means it won't take four years for the next Zelda, since they can use BotW as a starting template instead of creating another new game from scratch.

Hate the weapon break mechanic
Hate there is no heal potion shortcut
Hate the sparse overworld
The dungeons are underwhelming
The framerate is ass

Not a 100 game or 98 game. Plenty to improve

Start with a properly performing game. I am enjoying the game despite its issues but the game on Wii U performs worse for me than AC:Unity did at launch. Combat feels fucked when you are battling the frame rate more than the enemies. It isn't just towns where the framerate is crap which is mostly what we have heard. It is anywhere there is an alpha effect, anywhere there is groups of enemies. I have even had some of those 1 framerate slide shows that I would never thought I would experience in a NIntendo game while fighting multiple enemies. The game's poor performance totally affects gameplay in a negative way for me. Personally anyone who gave this game a 10/10 is not to be trusted since they clearly do not value performance enough to not lie to their audience with these phoney 10s even if they bury these issues in the review text. Make the score reflect the text instead of handing out prizes to developers. Game is now bullet proof from criticism here because of these inflated scores and I fully expect to get shit from people for writing this.

Lol

The performance is disappointing at times, but it is definitely not bad enough to hurt the overall experience. AC Unity was a far FAR worse shit show.

Dear Mr. Aonuma,

okp66FD.gif

(Watch him do it.)

Portable mode runs pretty damn well

Agree. Docked mode isnt that bad to me. Sure I've encountered frame drops and they are distracting but since they haven't happened to me during combat it's not been an issue. I also think it is overblown by some (people saying it's trash....cmon). Still I think a Zelda built from the ground up would surpass BOTW in both Graphics and Performance.

kunonabi

Botw is an excellent first draft but there are certainly things to be improved on so I could easily see a successor trump it.

So how far in the future are we talking about, Aonuma? And at what cost?

Hundreds of people toiled for four years to bring us this game. Monolith was called upon to help with the open world design. It's probably the biggest game Nintendo has ever put out.

Honestly, I find it amazing that a modern game of this caliber was done in only 4 years. So when you say "at what cost", to me that implied that there was an inordinate/extraordinary "cost" to make this game, which I don't think is true.

Glad he thinks that. I know a lot of people after reviews and impressions on this game were thinking how could the series progress from here. Great to know that one of the important people behind it still has ideas to do that to the point that he's so confident in making this statement.

Opa-Pa

Well, it's nice he has the motivation, at least.

Actually my one worry with this game is... Where do they go from here? Surely the formula can be improved, but will they really aim to create another huge world like BoTW's every time from now on? Because dropping the open world would be a mistake, this game feels like what 3D Zelda should have always been, and the world is so masterfully designed, filled with stuff to do and see at every corner, that I'm having a hard time believing they can match this... Unless they spent lile 7 years and tons of money with every main entry from now on.

Perhaps they could try making a similar game that's more dungeon-heavy, but I imagine the compromise would be an eithet less detailed or smaller world, which would still feel like a downgrade.

Basically BoTW is so damn good that I worry they can ever even match it, and I never thought I'd say that about a Zelda game. That's definitely impressive. Good luck tho!

dmr87

- Add music
- Remove destructible weapons
- Better performance
- More actual Temples, not shrines
- I don't need VO

sirap

It's not like BOTW is a perfect game. The more I play this game (80 hours now) the more flaws I start to discover.

Still a phenomenal game, but I can't wait to see what they cook up next!

LordKasual

Banned
Looking at Breath of the Wild threads is like taking a time machine into the past.

This shift for Zelda should have happened about 4-5 years ago.

They'll improve upon this formula the same way Metal Gear, GTA, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Zelda ect. improved upon their formulas enough to allow Breath of the Wild to exist.

Griss

Two major ways they could improve things:

-Less shrines and 8 or so major Zelda dungeons. Not having any dungeons was a shame, even if the 'replacement' idea was really, really cool and a nice change of pace / experiment

-Better story. They need to figure out how to tell a more engaging story in an open world rather than just dumping the plot on you after an hour and leaving the rest to side quests and flashbacks. Also, Link being a silent protag is a big problem, it makes a lot of the cutscenes total jokes. Previous Zeldas have solved this by having Link's companion stand in as the actual story protagonist when cutscenes are needed but here it just failed.

Fix those two things and you're looking at an even better game.

(Obviously visuals and performance can and should be massively improved, I was dealing with design only.)

Well, it's nice he has the motivation, at least.

Actually my one worry with this game is... Where do they go from here? Surely the formula can be improved, but will they really aim to create another huge world like BoTW's every time from now on? Because dropping the open world would be a mistake, this game feels like what 3D Zelda should have always been, and the world is so masterfully designed, filled with stuff to do and see at every corner, that I'm having a hard time believing they can match this... Unless they spent lile 7 years and tons of money with every main entry from now on.

Perhaps they could try making a similar game that's more dungeon-heavy, but I imagine the compromise would be an eithet less detailed or smaller world, which would still feel like a downgrade.

Basically BoTW is so damn good that I worry they can ever even match it, and I never thought I'd say that about a Zelda game. That's definitely impressive. Good luck tho!

I feel the same - in that it'll be tough to ever match this game - but it'll be so much easier for them to make a sequel than it was to make BotW.

The hardest part about making this game will have been
-Designing the gameplay systems, building them and testing them, then playtesting them to make them fun
-Getting an open world visual engine up and running with proper data streaming etc
-Getting your content teams into a system where everyone can be making content at the same time

And things like that. They've already established all of that, so a sequel just need those content teams to come up with a new map and new content. That's massively easier than building the whole thing from scratch, so I honestly believe they should be able to do another one - if it's a straight sequel on the same engine - within 3 years.

trixx

Maybe better performance, and more complex combat and things like cooking. Other than that I don't know how.

Wait I've yet to do the dungeons

Do a Majora's Mask to Breath of the Wild, but with a 3 year dev time.
Use the engine, assets and systems and perfect them for a new game.
Also 8-12 traditional dungeons please.

Two major ways they could improve things:

-Less shrines and 8 or so major Zelda dungeons. Not having any dungeons was a shame, even if the 'replacement' idea was really, really cool and a nice change of pace / experiment

-Better story. They need to figure out how to tell a more engaging story in an open world rather than just dumping the plot on you after an hour and leaving the rest to side quests and flashbacks. Also, Link being a silent protag is a big problem, it makes a lot of the cutscenes total jokes. Previous Zeldas have solved this by having Link's companion stand in as the actual story protagonist when cutscenes are needed but here it just failed.

Fix those two things and you're looking at an even better game.

(Obviously visuals and performance can and should be massively improved, I was dealing with design only.)

I feel the same - in that it'll be tough to ever match this game - but it'll be so much easier for them to make a sequel than it was to make BotW.

-Designing the gameplay systems
-Getting an open world visual engine up and running with proper data streaming etc
-Getting your content teams into a system where everyone can be making content at the same time

And things like that. They've already established all of that, so a sequel just need those content teams to come up with a new map and new content. That's massively easier than building the whole thing from scratch, so I honestly believe they should be able to do another one - if it's a straight sequel on the same engine - within 3 years.

Not sure I agree with removing the Shrines. Having so many is one reason why it feels like there is something around every corner. If they want to add more full size dungeons that would be great but if they removed the Shrines I would want them to put something similar in their place so I still wanted to search everywhere in the world.

Two big improvements that could be made just from watching various BOTW streams:
  • Better inventory management system
  • Better cooking system (Storing known recipes in a recipe book would vastly improve it)

Falchion

Now take all these systems and expand upon them while making the world even better realized and more dense.

archvile7

Two big improvements that could be made just from watching various BOTW streams:
  • Better cooking system (Storing known recipes in a recipe book would vastly improve it)

I agree with both points, however you can "analyze" a cooked food to see what ingredients were used. I do find it annoying how often you have to access the inventory. And I feel like the world is *too* big, it just looks so overbearing when running around and I feel like I'm cheesing some parts by just climbing walls instead of following the intended route. But you kind of have to when (flying) Guardians are all over the place. The world is literally massive, I've played about 20 hours and have yet to see about 10% of the world.

LordKasual

Banned
-Designing the gameplay systems, building them and testing them, then playtesting them to make them fun

Yeah, they should throw this tech into all of their franchises. It honestly already kind of looks like they're trying to Mario Odyssey?

They should DEFINITELY reroll this tech into a Metroid game.

Open World, 3rd person, except instead of rock climbing and wind sailing, we're speed boosting, space jumping and screw attacking.

The best thing about these JP companies breaking into open world infrastructure is that it allows so much space to expand gameplay features.

Lol

The performance is disappointing at times, but it is definitely not bad enough to hurt the overall experience. AC Unity was a far FAR worse shit show.

Agree to disagree, because the performance and IQ absolutely are bad enough to hurt it overall. Large parts of the game so far are pretty great, but the presentation and performance is so un-Nintendo like and at times it feels so random. There's not really an excuse for why they chose 900p over a solid framerate.

Anyhoo, on topic...better dungeons is one way. It's one thing to try and tear up the tropes and redefine what Zelda is, but then you can go one better and reinterpret some of the stuff you threw out so that they are new and improved and fit in the new direction for the series. The overworld could also be a lot better and more focused as sometimes it feels like Nintendo/Monolith etc made certain places more expansive, or mountains that bit taller, for effect rather than considering the end result for the user. It's impressive but it's not always fun.

There are also some problems with the motion control puzzles where it seems to behave incredibly erratically, and if things like that were tightened up and neatened it'd be great. Also better bosses and tighter combat. It might the control set up but from previous 3D Zeldas I almost have a muscle memory for how the combat feels and it's simple but great. For BotW, I'm enjoying it but it feels a bit finnicky. If they removed weapon durability it'd also be better, I don't really think it'd impact the loot system that much.

It's cool to find that fire sword with a name, but if I find another identikit weapon it's like "Woop-de-fucking-doo". It's a good game but it's not the second coming, but for a first try at this kind of Zelda it's also better than it had any right to be.

Agree here. Those are two things I would like to see improved.

Would also like the ability to cook multiples of the same recipe if you have enough ingredients to do so. No reason I have to spend 10 min making the same 3 item recipe over and over. Give me an option to select a quantity so I can get back to exploring.

Arion

Some over world music would be nice. Maybe just an option where link puts on some headphones and listens to some tunes while exploring. Wouldn't be too out of place since he is walking around with a smart phone.

Red

I am looking forward to it.

There are few things I wish BotW did that it does not. I sometimes wish there were more dynamic AI. Roving bands of moblins or something, instead of only the camps we run into. Friendly NPCs carry on daily functions in a reasonably believable way. Hostile NPCs more or less stay put. I'd like to see more parity there. It would be really cool to see a pack of horseback riders hunting boar or raiding a friendly settlement, and be able to interrupt that. I imagine a game where you don't just stumble onto encampments with slabs of meat already roasting, but you are able, if you choose, to watch a team of moblins set out while others prepare camp; you could choose to follow the hunters on their game, intercept them, or kill, scare, and scatter them after they have (maybe unsuccessfully!) hunted, and claim whatever spoils they've gained for yourself; you could choose to slaughter those who've stayed behind, and make this obvious, by burning huts or smashing boxes, so when the hunters return they are on guard, or leave things intact, so they are confused by the absence of their compatriots, and you are able to attack during the confusion. I wonder if we'll ever see that kind of dynamic world. BotW feels close at times, but it is still clearly a simulation for the benefit of the player: things are placed just so, and encounters play out in predictable fashion. I like some randomness.

Another longshot wish: digging. BotW often feels like Minecraft and there is a great deal of upward verticality. But you only go down through portals to shrines. It would be cool to see a more organic approach to underground travel. I want to stumble onto a cave system like in Minecraft. I want to see monsters building structures underground. Uncovering things long buried is at the heart of BotW's story but it is missing in gameplay. The things buried are already uncovered. It would be cool to have to dig them out yourself.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Considering his attempts to top OoT, we'll probably get a couple of decades of BotW's formula recycled in the sea, in an edgy alternate dimension, in the sky, etc.

Honestly? While BOTW is amazing and one of the best Zelda games for sure, lets not pretend like it can't be improved

- Return to more traditional dungeon design, the BOTW ones are okay but clearly not up to standard.
- Around 6 or so dungeons which can mostly be done out of order
- Slightly smaller (like 2/3) but more compact world with more towns, stronger focus on long side-quests which reward you with your items (bombs, boomerang, runes)
- Shrines still there (less of them) but Orbs grant you expanded RPG-like upgrades (speed, stamina, hearts, defense, strength, ranged)
- Expanded weapon durability stats (like a meter), allow weapons to be repaired
- Expanded crafting, use materials to repair weapons, make weapons, make arrows, clothes, etc
- More creative story a-la MM
- More enemy types, better enemy AI (moblins are very boring)
- Obviously better graphics, stability, darker art direction would be nice

ghibli99

It's interesting to think back on conversations about Ocarina of Time... that game was what, 20fps max? and dropped a lot quite a bit throughout. That was in the late '90s, a few years into 3D acceleration on PC, and 60fps 3D games were not out-of-the-ordinary on console. Did it ruin experiences the way people say it does with BOTW? Not saying it's the wrong way to look at it, but it seems like I'm hearing a lot of the same complaints, as if this is somehow a first for Nintendo. I actually thought the performance of OOT affected my enjoyment more than it does for BOTW, just because so many of the other aspects of the new game are so refined and fun, so as a whole it transcends the performance issues. I had similar feelings about TLG, even though that had far more problems dealing with things like the camera and controls. I still gave that game a near-maxxed score, and it was one of my favorite games of last year.

Skeletos311

I think they could make a better game by putting Zelda things back in.

Take the jump button back out. Auto jump is fine.

Use regular Zelda items instead of these hologram Sheika Slate things.

Use a regular Zelda button config. B for attack!

Bring back hidden heart pieces to find around the world.

Take out weather damage.

Get rid of cooking and crafting and all these mats.

Get rid of weapon degradation.

More big dungeons.

renzolama

Weapons and shields that don't explode in the middle of fighting multiple enemies and leave you with nothing equipped would be a good start. I don't know if anybody could ever achieve such a lofty goal, but you have to shoot for the stars.

Maximus.

I think they could make a better game by putting Zelda things back in.

Take the jump button back out. Auto jump is fine.

Use regular Zelda items instead of these hologram Sheika Slate things.

Use a regular Zelda button config. B for attack!

Bring back hidden heart pieces to find around the world.

Take out weather damage.

Get rid of cooking and crafting and all these mats.

Get rid of weapon degradation.

More big dungeons.

So you're saying go back to the old formula....

I do think it would be cool if there were some permanent weapons and what not. I like the weather, cooking, weapon degradation, etc. Weapons break pretty fast in the beginning of the game though. Jumping is great.

Majora's Mask style asset flip with a completely different structure, let's gooo

RE4 is perfection. If have any issues with that game, it's not because of some game design flaws, it's because you yourself suck as a player.

You can't play the campaign as HUNK, a glaring flaw they've never fixed :)

Top Bottom