• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elemental: War of Magic |OT| Spellbooks, Spiders and Shards

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
biocat said:
I might grab this if I can play it on my little Fujitsu CULV. Are the rumors true that it is netbook playable?

Say a laptop with:
Intel SU2300
GMA 4500HD
4 GB ram
??

Not sure about that, I'm running it on a core 2 quad, 3 gb ram, geforce GTS 250 1 GB and it's running like steamed ass with settings on medium. It's really choppy when scrolling and zooming.

KuroNeeko

Man, pre-ordered Elemental this morning hoping to get some gameage in today. Paid by credit card and was told that they'd send a notice out informing me when they'd charge my account and that I wouldn't be charged until the game was ready to download.

The order doesn't show up in my purchase history (since it hasn't been processed yet) and I still can't DL the game even though others can. I don't mind waiting so much, just get antsy when online transactions don't happen instantaneously :(

Wonder when I'll be able to DL the game.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Open Source said:
Paid full price for Demigod 6 months in advance, so this time waiting for reviews, maybe a price drop and a few patches.

You won't see price drop for a good while. SD isn't allowed to due to agreements with retailers.

arstal said:
You won't see price drop for a good while. SD isn't allowed to due to agreements with retailers.

That's fine, preferable even. It will reduce my temptation to buy before the inevitably necessary series of patches. I do the same thing with Paradox games now.

Sinatar

Yea this needs more time in the cooker, feels very unfinished so far and I've had a couple of CTD's to boot.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Sinatar said:
Yea this needs more time in the cooker, feels very unfinished so far and I've had a couple of CTD's to boot.

Thanks for the heads-up. Will stay away (for now).

Bossman

I was disappointed when I found out that they removed quests, tactical battles and random maps from multiplayer.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Feels unfinished and crashes a lot? They're really playing the "Successor to Master of Magic" angle to the hilt.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Bossman said:
I was disappointed when I found out that they removed quests, tactical battles and random maps from multiplayer.

I believe those are likely to be patched in, or someone will mod them in.

That said, if you're not 100% into having things improve with patching, SD games are things you should wait on- they're awesome years down the road.

I think this game's stability and bugginess is no worse then the big-budget games I've played personally, except that Stardock fixes their errors a lot more successfully.

This is the first time SD has rushed to get something out (was due to retail windows officially, unofficially I think Civ 5 Steamworks was the reason)- and you can tell in a few spots, but they will fix everything- they did with GC2.

Sinatar

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it, especially as I learn how to actually play the thing, but it's definitely a WIP.

Normally that'd be a pretty hefty caveat, but Stardock provides support for their games like few others.

EDIT: Oh and note about the performance issues I mentioned above. It appears that if you scroll the map by using edge scroll (aka push the mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll it) it goes super choppy. If you scroll by clicking the left mouse button and dragging around it is buttery smooth, so it doesn't appear to be a real performance issue but some kind of bug with edge scrolling.

ruuk

There's a slider that defaults to a delay on the edge scroll too, so if you haven't changed it it might not start scrolling for a second or so, that was pissing me off before I found it in options.

The game definitely feels unfinished, but supposedly this isn't the 'day 0' version that is supposed to hit Tuesday. But, I can't imagine that update implementing the complete overhaul of the spell and unit/creature variety, quests & tactical battles I feel the game needs to be at all competitive with the likes of MoM or AoW:SM.

Performance issues are bogging my system down, and this frustrates me because I remember reading somewhere that this game was supposed to have lower system requirements than GalCivII, which runs great on my system. Perhaps this is related to a bug they will fix in the future sometime.

It's hard to generate an all out bullet point list of problems with the game knowing there is an update due in a day and a half or so that just might address many of these issues, so I am making an effort to hold my tongue on specifics for now.

At the moment this does not feel like a $50 game, it almost feels like a bare bones tech demo of a toolkit, and whenever I see someone defend a particularly shallow or missing feature with "oh, a player will mod that in" I get just a little more pissed off. Yea, i see potential for fun mods too, but I bought a game, not a toolkit.

Sinatar

Yea with AoW:SM supposedly coming to Steam in the near future it makes recommending this pretty hard. AoW:SM is everything this game is but like 10x better.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Sinatar said:
Yea with AoW:SM supposedly coming to Steam in the near future it makes recommending this pretty hard. AoW:SM is everything this game is but like 10x better.

AoW:SM has one huge flaw though- the AI is completely worthless, to the point where it becomes unfun as a SP game.

AoW:SM > Elemental as a MP game right now though, if you can find players.

Also Aow:SM 1.00 was a buggier mess then Elemental 1.00 by a good bit

It's unfair to compare final version of one game to a 1.00 of another.

ruuk said:
At the moment this does not feel like a $50 game, it almost feels like a bare bones tech demo of a toolkit, and whenever I see someone defend a particularly shallow or missing feature with "oh, a player will mod that in" I get just a little more pissed off. Yea, i see potential for fun mods too, but I bought a game, not a toolkit.

Those areas you called shallow, I know that there are two DLC packs (free) planned for day 30 and day 60 roughly to improve those areas. Monster pack and Quest pack are planned.

epmode

I haven't had any stability issues. That choppy edge scrolling thing Sinastar mention does affect me though. It's been in since a very early beta but no one seems to mention it.
Open Source said:
Point taken - but they did publish it and handle the online service.
The big thing with Demigod is that it was a shitty peer-to-peer system so they ran into all sorts of firewall-related issues. Elemental is a client/server model which should all but stop those problems.

Even so, I don't see the appeal of a multiplayer version of a real 4X game. They just take far too long to play.

Spl1nter

Cru Jones said:
More impressions please :)

The AI made me sad. It place down villages in the exact two spots I wanted. My pioneers were like 3 turns away :(

Edit: If you guys want any specific videos be it tutorial, tactical battle etc tell me and ill get one up.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
There's going to be another patch tomorrow to fix some of the issues reported already.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/391533/#2724180

Also, they have some map mods out already. Getting mods/downloading things/community features- right now I'm a fan of the way Impulse does it, really smooth UI.

I wish Steam would copy some of Impulse's features in this regard. It's really smooth and good.

Spl1nter said:
The AI made me sad. It place down villages in the exact two spots I wanted. My pioneers were like 3 turns away :(

Edit: If you guys want any specific videos be it tutorial, tactical battle etc tell me and ill get one up.
I would love to see your take on getting the game started. I've put a couple hours into the game so far, but I feel like I'm missing something. Not sure why.

I built my capital, built some buildings to increase money, food, material, research, etc. Sent my avatar out to start collecting resources and ran a few quests. Now what?

Cru Jones

I have really been looking forward to this game, but am hesitant due to the mixed reaction it is getting. Also, SC2 is taking a lot of my time right now.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Cru Jones said:
I have really been looking forward to this game, but am hesitant due to the mixed reaction it is getting. Also, SC2 is taking a lot of my time right now.

In that case, I'd suggest waiting- you'll get it later. ^_^

Stardock games improve dramatically over the first 6 months, they usually put half their budget into post-release. That's not counting expansions.

Cru Jones

arstal said:
In that case, I'd suggest waiting- you'll get it later. ^_^

Stardock games improve dramatically over the first 6 months, they usually put half their budget into post-release. That's not counting expansions.

Ya, I was still planning on getting it even with SC2 because it looked really interesting to me... but reaction has seemed pretty negative :(

Hari Seldon

I am curious about this game cause I love strategy games but I am going to need a demo or a discussion on a podcast to convince me. Civ 5 is looming large in a month.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Cru Jones said:
Ya, I was still planning on getting it even with SC2 because it looked really interesting to me... but reaction has seemed pretty negative :(

It's overreaction. The game, as it stands now, is very good, to me at least.

It will get better also.

A bunch of things are already planned and fixed on tomorrow night's patch.

Elemental demo should be up in about a month. The one big plus to SD games is that the AI is always excellent, whereas Civ AI is mediocre at best. (They're saying Civ 5 AI is better, but I'm betting that's 2K marketing talk, civ 4 AI only worked with massive cheating)

Spl1nter

arstal said:
Elemental demo should be up in about a month. The one big plus to SD games is that the AI is always excellent, whereas Civ AI is mediocre at best. (They're saying Civ 5 AI is better, but I'm betting that's 2K marketing talk, civ 4 AI only worked with massive cheating)

Brad is one of the best TBS AI programmers in the business. He's been doing it for almost 20 years.

I think what Im going to to do is one quick tutorial video on basic interface and menu and then another video were every 10 turns I analyze what has happened in the world and my plan for the future.

My only reaction so far is that the game pacing is a little slow yet at the same time so epic. It takes alot more turns to ramp up then galciv2 or civ4 but its less macro and more micro of your units. Also the turns go by much faster so in the same time as 10 turns takes in civ4 your have already completed 20 in elemental. Also thank fucking god for the empire tree. I can see not having it in other civ5 really making the experience less enjoyable. Overall so far the game has a different feel as your focus isnt on your cities/planets but your characters and territorial influence. Its cool snaking your city from one part of the map to another to block off a choke point or reach a resource.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Open Source said:
Point taken - but they did publish it and handle the online service.
Unfortunately it was the online service that ruined it. Demigod is a great game, its just really hard to play.

That said, Demigod-gaf was awesome.

Sinatar said:

Whoa, where did you hear this? Google is telling me nothing.

Spl1nter

New Dev Journal Entry

Elemental: Interim PRE-day 0 update
By Frogboy Posted August 23, 2010 7:31:40 PM

Tomorrow marks the official release of Elemental. We will have a “day 0” update available as well.

But for those who are interested in trying out an interim version, we’re gearing up to release one tonight.

Here is what was implemented in the past 12 hours:

* Lots of new seed maps (particularly for medium and large)
* Enemy Unit caching modified so that they are released from the game after death (this should address the “game gets slower over time” issue some have reported)
* In tactical battles, the camera will only move IF the unit is off screen
* Fixed a crash related to city tiles on DirectX 11 based setups with a game within a game
* Removed non-terrain based tactical battle bonus modifiers (an interesting idea but unintuitive)
* There are technologies that will spawn more shards on the map.
* Fixed tactical heal spell to ensure that it doesn’t do any 0 point healing.
* Fixed issue that caused failed spells to say “miss”
* Disabled the use of the L8 texture format to use the A8R8G8B8 format as it was incompatible with certain video cards and causing the game to crash (fog of war issue)
* Worldly knowledge renamed to “Tech Knowledge” to be consistent with the manual.
* Fixed a crash related to children being born during a reloaded saved game that could cause a crash on 64-bit machines
* Fixed a crash related to reference counting on the Dynasty screen that happens on 32-bit Windows XP machines
* Tactical Battles now support edge scroll
* Fixed a buffer overrun issue that caused random crashing on SSD SATA drives while saving a game.
* Cosmetic fix to the object tool in th map editor
* Fixed a bug that would cause the goodie hut graphics not to be removed when they were no longer relevant.
* Fixed minimap bug where unhiding and dragging the minimap without first resizing it would cause the map part to get offset from the rest of the minimap window, leaving it blank
* Fixed bug on loading a game or starting a new game within a game where clicking on a city would leave its resource tab blank until it was clicked on again
* Improved performance of units joining into an army
* Hooked up the draggable window showing the list of players who have requested a new turn or not in multiplayer, automatically shows up in multiplayer but does not get filled or ever unhide in single player [NOTE: Multiplayer servers will NOT be enabled until AFTER day 0]
* Fixed crash related to very very fast machines loading up data.zip before initialization causing data to not be fully enabled which would result in a crash when the object in question was accessed.
* Ice Bolt spell removed
* New spell: Stab of Ice, short range spell, causes enemy to lose turn in addition to damage.
* Sion Unit given special abilities and rebalanced

Only 24 hours until the actual official release of Elemental: War of Magic!

KuroNeeko

Just posting some impressions >

Finally managed to download the game and spent about 3 hours on it. I jumped straight into "New Game" choosing to learn as I go along.

The presentation of the map / city is well done. Nice graphical style. I'm not really crazy about the unit portraits but I guess you have to make it like that to keep the customizable elements in.

To be perfectly honest, I grew up with Master of Magic, Fantasy Empires, UFO, Alpha Centauri, and FFT. I've missed out on a lot of good games like all of the Civ series (save for the 360 version) and AoW. Having said that, I'm still finding a lot to like about Elemental. The core gameplay is there and it's fun. Sure, they could have made it a bit easier to pick up in the beginning but watching the tutorial videos goes a long way to getting a feel for the controls (took me two games to learn how to build a farm.)

I'm looking forward to watching the game grow - regardless of how much time it takes. If you're a fan of the genre and you have the cash then you can't go wrong with picking the game up. If you're looking for a polished experience - then you may want to hold off and come pick up the game later. Chances are - if you know about this game then you're already a fan of the genre and there's a lot to like about this game or at least there's a lot of potential. I do agree it's going to take a bit more time before Elemental fully lives up to that potential - but I'm still going to have fun playing it until then.

edit:

Holy crap. Finally found out how you can buy weapons. :O

Victrix

*beard*
I'd strongly recommend avoiding this game till they patch it a bit. The AI is basically nonexistent. I won two games in a row on normal just by blitzing the AI with summon spells (though you can do the same thing with normal units, given how little resistance the AI puts up).

I then bumped the difficulty for the AI and map up to 'Ridiculous', added another civ to make it more cramped... and repeated the same tactic. The AI isn't attacking me, even though I just crushed one of its neighbors with the same single summoner stack.

There's also a host of random bugs, some minor, some major.

Those actually bother me less, but if the AI presents no challenge of any sort, what's the point of playing?

I'm sure it'll improve in time, but unless you're really hard up for a fantasy TBS to screw around in, I'd recommend waiting until it's improved.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Victrix said:
I'd strongly recommend avoiding this game till they patch it a bit. The AI is basically nonexistent. I won two games in a row on normal just by blitzing the AI with summon spells (though you can do the same thing with normal units, given how little resistance the AI puts up).

I then bumped the difficulty for the AI and map up to 'Ridiculous', added another civ to make it more cramped... and repeated the same tactic. The AI isn't attacking me, even though I just crushed one of its neighbors with the same single summoner stack.

There's also a host of random bugs, some minor, some major.

Those actually bother me less, but if the AI presents no challenge of any sort, what's the point of playing?

I'm sure it'll improve in time, but unless you're really hard up for a fantasy TBS to screw around in, I'd recommend waiting until it's improved.

Point that out to Brad Wardell. He'll make the AI counter it pretty quickly. (it's a legit criticism, but Stardock gives a huge crap about their AI)

The AI in Elemental 1.0 is still despite this leagues better then AOW2 or Wildmana.

Victrix

*beard*
It's not just summoning, you can do the same thing with just stacks of normal units. The AI simply isn't playing the game right now, on any difficulty level.

I guess if you built up on just 1-3 cities and never built any troops, the AI might kill you, but otherwise...

I've also run into bugs in literally every area of the game (strategic map, tactical ai, city building, research, movement, ui, etcetcetc). There's also some extremely unclear mechanics that aren't explained anywhere that I can see (the in-game reference is very sparse).

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
MP is disabled until Wednesday I think (or today).

They're trying to prevent another Demigod and making sure everything is ready on day 0.
MP is going to be gimped initially, as Brad is trying to balance MP, at the cost of fun IMO. (I think it's a valid idea, but should be optional) Custom servers when implemented will fix this.

BTW patch is now up. (day 0 apparently meant minute 0)

don't think there's any AI improvements yet- those will come from a combination of Brad's playing and improving, and MP.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
AI improvements come in tomorrow's update (as part of it)

Apparently this is the pre day-0 update.

Apparently the street breaking led to them releasing early to be fair, which led to a lot of feedback and areas they could improve on quickly.

The downside is with them patching so fast, you kinda don't want to play, cause you know the game's going to be more awesome tomorrow.

Sinatar

Here's hoping tomorrows patch improves the performance, no matter what I set the graphics too this thing runs like a slide show half the time and my system far exceeds the requirements.

Sinatar

Ok so word to the wise: Don't play the campaign mode. Pretend it isn't there. I was developing a fairly negative opinion of this game, finished the campaign and decided to give a random map a try (aka the real game). It's completely different, like 4000 times deeper and is actually fun. The campaign sells this game waaaay short. It's sort of a tutorial, except that it doesn't actually teach you anything and cuts 70% of the gameplay mechanics out of it.

So when you launch this badboy for the first time, go right to that new game button and ignore the campaign. Trust me on this.

DiscoJer

Sinatar said:
Ok so word to the wise: Don't play the campaign mode. Pretend it isn't there. I was developing a fairly negative opinion of this game, finished the campaign and decided to give a random map a try (aka the real game). It's completely different, like 4000 times deeper and is actually fun. The campaign sells this game waaaay short. It's sort of a tutorial, except that it doesn't actually teach you anything and cuts 70% of the gameplay mechanics out of it.

So when you launch this badboy for the first time, go right to that new game button and ignore the campaign. Trust me on this.

GalCiv 2 was pretty much like that as well.

I never got that. They take a Civ sort of game, then try to shoe-horn a HoMM style campaign into it (which was okay in that or Warlords 3, because HoMM is more Empire than Civ, since you don't build cities or planets or whatnot, just capture and upgrade them. Much quicker playing time, so to duplicate that quickness, they have to gimp the game for that scenario of the campaign)

Hari Seldon

Sinatar said:

You finished the campaign in one day?

Spl1nter

Sinatar said:

Also there are supposed to be a lot of improvements in the day 0 patch for the campaign and other areas of the game.

Im not suprised that using the summon spells and rushing with those creatures works. Nature's Ally bear is way to strong for a lvl1 spell.

Takeda Kenshi

blew Staal
Sinatar said:

Will do, sir. My LE is on the way. Can't wait. :D

Top Bottom