• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk tweets: "Competition for AI superiority... most likely cause of WW3"

http://money.cnn.com/2017/09/04/technology/culture/elon-musk-ai-world-war/index.html

Elon Musk spent part of his Labor Day weekend tweeting about World War III.

Tesla (TSLA) and SpaceX's CEO wasn't making doomsday predictions because North Korea is testing nuclear weapons. What's got Musk much more worried about world war is artificial intelligence.

North Korea "should be low on our list of concerns for civilizational existential risk," Musk said in one of a series of posts on Twitter (TWTR, Tech30) early Monday.
"Competition for AI superiority at national level most likely cause of WW3 imo," Musk said in another tweet, using the Internet short-hand for "in my opinion."

The dire prediction was in response to a recent comment from Russian President Vladimir Putin. "Artificial intelligence is the future not only of Russia but of all of mankind," Putin said. "Whoever becomes the leader in this sphere will become the ruler of the world."
In the process, Musk has clashed with at least one fellow tech billionaire: Facebook (FB, Tech30) CEO Mark Zuckerberg.

Zuckerberg called Musk's AI doomsday rhetoric "pretty irresponsible." Musk responded by calling Zuckerberg's understanding of the issue "limited."

Musk has tried to address his AI anxieties through two new ventures: OpenAI, a non-profit AI research company, and Neuralink, a startup building devices to connect the human brain with computers.
Terminate me if old.

PSqueak

Banned
He needs to be more specific, there is a difference from "AI warfare will cause WW3 when a drone AI eventually commits something that will be deemed a war crime" and "WE TERMINATOR NOW, YO!"

Kayhan

Look, while AI is something to be careful about his comment about North Korea is straight moronic.

May not wipe us out but the loss of life could be enormous.

BlizzKrut

Banned
same, wish he'd shut the fuck up

49d.jpg

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
He's a businessman.
Why should I listen to him??
Might as well listen to my dentist about Software development.

Alienous

Oh golly, I wonder how we can handle this situation. Perhaps by colonizing another planet as a backup.

The fear-mongering is transparent.

StayDead

I predict World War III from the complete lack of intelligence.

There isn't going to be a world war, because China doesn't give a damn about North Korea. If you count "The world" vs North Korea in a war as a world war then I could understand.

DarkKyo

I believe in some form we are approaching a great filter. I'm not sure if this is it, but it's certainly possible.

qcf x2

He's right, though a regional conflict going nuclear is the more present threat. Putin is also right in his statement... whoever gets there first wins.

giphyy9syz.gif

AI is a wonderful topic to make stupid predictions about, because we are still light-years away from even understanding the concept of true AIs, or having anywhere near the necessary amount of computation needed. Also lol at his comments to Zuckerberg, Musk should stop talking so much shit, he is just a business man and not a scientist. Maybe he has read to much tabloid articles calling him a "genius", alternatively doing less coke might do the trick. There are enough other areas which have the potential for conflict in the future, for example the rising inequality even in western countries. But I bet guys like him don't want to talk about those very real problems, which already exist, because then he would have to take a critical look at himself.

People just shooting from the hip on their sarcastic responses here about lolol shutup about terminator - do you actually know anything about this topic? Of all the reading I've done from experts in the field it has become clear that there is a clear danger that upcoming AI will be creating gods. It's an incredibly serious topic and there's a reason why nearly everybody close to the topic is alert. In fact, many believe we need to move on AI & digital security in a big way or face outright extinction. Sounds hyperbolic but the more you research the more you realize this is totally feasible.

Makai

Musk has tried to address his AI anxieties through two new ventures: OpenAI, a non-profit AI research company, and Neuralink, a startup building devices to connect the human brain with computers.

Brilliant, Elon. Just recreate the plot of the Matrix to prevent Terminator.

qcf x2

this idiot lives in his own bubble where shit like AI is all of a sudden a threat. out of touch.

It's not all of a sudden a threat, it's near. It's approaching. And it's not something that we can turn back from.

Oh golly, I wonder how we can handle this situation. Perhaps by colonizing another planet as a backup.

The fear-mongering is transparent.

Oh ffs.

He's a businessman.
Why should I listen to him??
Might as well listen to my dentist about Software development.

This and the previous quoted response are as ignorant as it gets. You both win the "Not My Problem" award.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
He's talking about the race to AI, guys. Think the race for nuclear power but scarier. He's also talking about extinction.

Unfortunate that his clear profit motive distracts from a threat which should be taken deadly serious.

Calm down everyone, you have nothing to worry about.

0101010110 11001 1001010 1100111101 01010101 101010010111100111111 010101 0101010101 01011
01011 101010
1 1010 10 10

DarkKyo

Or he possibly knows more about what's going on in that field and can easily see it's where our future is headed.

Care to elaborate?

About what Great Filter means?

It's basically any possible answer to the Fermi Paradox, why most if not all intelligent beings across the universe don't make it to a monolothic god-like state or form, or even off their planet in the case of some possible great filters.

It's why we see no evidence of any other life in the universe, because most species don't make it past the great filter, any type of biological, physical, or technological hurdle that makes it impossible for them to advance further. A lot of possible great filters involve extinction.

He's talking about the race to AI, guys. Think the race for nuclear power but scarier. He's also talking about extinction.

Unfortunate that his clear profit motive distracts from a threat which should be taken deadly serious.

The race to AI isn't scarier than nuclear weapons and it's ridiculous to think so. Nuclear power also shouldn't scare any sane person in the least.

reckless

The race to AI isn't scarier than nuclear weapons and it's ridiculous to think so. Nuclear power also shouldn't scare any sane person in the least.

Whoever gets a Strong AI first, will be light years ahead of everyone else in the world. Its not crazy to think that other countries would do a preemptive strike to stop a true AI from being developed.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Brilliant, Elon. Just recreate the plot of the Matrix to prevent Terminator.

This stood out to me as well.

I agree with Elon insofar as that advancement in AI is inevitable and will also cause upheavals in our society as we're ill equipped to transition into a post-automation world in the time frame it would take to automate the economy. This will lead to armed conflict that can, perhaps, lead to a world war but more possibly multiple civil wars.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Whoever gets a Strong AI first, will be light years ahead of everyone else in the world. Its not crazy to think that other countries would do a preemptive strike to stop a true AI from being developed.

Yes exactly. When we talk about a true, unstoppable AI singularity we are talking about a time in which even 2-3 weeks, perhaps shorter, will be the difference between survival and the Stone Age.

Top Bottom