• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emilia Clarke will not reprise Sarah Connor in Terminator sequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizer

Banned
The Terminator Franchise just needs to be put out to pasture for quite a while, possibly forever. They need a hard reboot that disregards anything ever having to do with any of the previous films/characters/plots and just come up with a completely new storyline. Just keep the core idea of what a Terminator is and build an entirely new story around that.

Krejlooc

Banned
The Terminator Franchise just needs to be put out to pasture for quite a while, possibly forever. They need a hard reboot that disregards anything ever having to do with any of the previous films/characters/plots and just come up with a completely new storyline. Just keep the core idea of what a Terminator is and build an entirely new story around that.

at that point, just make a new series entirely. The Terminator is Arnold Schwarzenegger to me. The story itself has been copied a million times by now. Just stop making movies in the series. End. I will always have T1 and T2 and that's all I need.

orochi91

How can James Cameron ever salvage this series?

It will have to be a complete reboot.

And even if the rights go back to him, he'll be preoccupied with Avatar sequels for years to come :/

notBald

I still maintain that the last Terminator movie was better than the last Star Wars movie, but then, I've not watched the in-between terminator movies. Genisys did a better job tickling my nostalgia boner than The Force Awakens.

Though, without that nostalgia neither movie is worth your time. I'm not going to bother with the sequels in either case. Let it be another 20 years.

I didn't think she was that bad but she was definetly only mediocre at best. The guy that played Kyle Reese though ugh. They completely butchered his character and made him into a generic action guy.

Kaizer

Banned
at that point, just make a new series entirely. The Terminator is Arnold Schwarzenegger to me. The story itself has been copied a million times by now. Just stop making movies in the series. End. I will always have T1 and T2 and that's all I need.

I totally agree with you (Terminator 2 is the best!), but Hollywood keeps trying to bringing it back - they just won't let it die. If they're going to continue to try & make this franchise work I'd like to see them do something really new/different with it than just trying to ride the high of nostalgia mixed with an incredibly muddled timeline.

B33

Banned
The Terminator truly is a standalone concept, but James Cameron was able to create a great sequel by twisting the conceit of the first one and expanding its scope. They're both great films.

Frankly, without Cameron, the franchise is worthless. Hollywood has tried three times without him to make a Terminator film. It hasn't worked and Cameron is not likely to return to the IP.

Hollywood needs to let it go.

Amgash

Banned
Just let it die please. After T2 i didn't like any of the sequels. Really enjoyed the TV series though. Any fans among you?

KonradLaw

All those movies and I still haven't gotten what I wanted from this IP from the moment I saw first movie, which is a grim SF war movie set entirely in the future :( Bassicaly Saving Private Connor.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just let it die please. After T2 i didn't like any of the sequels. Really enjoyed the TV series though. Any fans among you?

The Sarah Connor Chronicles was dope. One of those projects that you roll your eyes about when you hear they're doing it, but it ended up being awesome. Gone too soon. They should crib ideas from the show if they insist on doing more films. Smaller budget, smaller films, better ideas. They need some goodwill so people will actually want to see these movies again.

The series dragged its feet a lot, the T-1000 was really goofy and some storylines went on way too long, but otherwise it was a much more worthy follow-up to the first two films than anything else after T2. Derek was great, Cameron was deliciously mysterious, Lena Headey made a really good Sarah Connor and John actually had a nice bit of character development. I really, really enjoyed it but was kind of glad when it got cancelled - wasn't feeling the whole 'now they're in the future!' Ending to season 2.

Clarke is by far the weakest actor in GoT. She was AWFUL in Genysis.

I'm really curious what happens to her career once the show ends.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Clarke is by far the weakest actor in GoT. She was AWFUL in Genysis.

I'm really curious what happens to her career once the show ends.

Comic book movies, female lead in B & C tier action films, and maybe some comedies.

I'm skeptical of anyone turning their time on Game of Thrones into a major film career. The show is a big enough pop culture phenomenon that they'll always be able to get work on genre TV shows for like the rest of their lives, but I can't really think of any newcomer on there that could carry a film.

The Terminator truly is a standalone concept, but James Cameron was able to create a great sequel by twisting the conceit of the first one and expanding its scope. They're both great films.

Frankly, without Cameron, the franchise is worthless. Hollywood has tried three times without him to make a Terminator film. It hasn't worked and Cameron is not likely to return to the IP.

Hollywood needs to let it go.

This, this, this. The Terminator was a standalone film, and a tremendous one at that. It's a truly fantastic character driven piece of science fiction. It didn't need a sequel, and yet, Cameron came back and delivered a remarkable one that worked perfectly with what the first set up.
The only hope I have for the franchise outside of Cameron is for another filmmaker with vision to grab hold of the reins and do something interesting, and not necessarily with a gigantic budget. I'd be interested if someone like Rian Johnson were to give it a go without studio intervention. The need for a massive, multi-film, sprawling epic is poison - find a good story to tell, and tell it.

Not a huge loss tbh. She was barely serviceable in Gynysys with her wooden acting. Works for Denearys but not for Sarah Connor.

Ensoul

I thought this franchise was dead? I didn't think she was the problem to be honest.

Regardless I am a terminator fan so I am happy someone out there thinks the series will continue at some point.

Garlador

Why do they keep insisting on the same few people for Terminator? It's always a Connor and Schwarzenegger.

The premise is vast enough you could show any Terminator attacking any other random Joe at any other time, but we always get bogged down rehashing the same folks.

Scarfo

Banned
Surely she could go deeper.

latest

http://terminator.wikia.com/wiki/T-1000000

That thing had the best 3-D effects I ever witnessed (at Universal Studios Theme Park).

massoluk

Banned
I can't blame the actress for taking a job for a supposedly big blockbuster, but whoever was ultimately responsible for casting her to take over Linda Hamilton's role, the person needs a big giant slap.

ryseing

I'm skeptical of anyone turning their time on Game of Thrones into a major film career. The show is a big enough pop culture phenomenon that they'll always be able to get work on genre TV shows for like the rest of their lives, but I can't really think of any newcomer on there that could carry a film.

I think Kit could if he was given the right movie i.e. not Pompeii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom