• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily is Away: AOL Instant Messenger narrative game (creakydooropen.wav)

Silvawuff

Now we need games to emulate the Compuserve/Prodigy experience (complete with molasses slow dial up and connection noises!) so all the bases will be covered.

Aeana

The trailer killed any interest I may have had. You pick from a list of preset responses and then the game proceeds to type them like an idiot wrote them. I’ve never not used apostrophes, and seeing people not use them drives me up the wall.

Drencrom

The two things that pissed me off the most is that your character is the biggest pussy/moron that does nothing to make it clear that he/she want to be together with Emily and goes the "i'm your friend and i'm always here for you :)" route in all of the available conversation options which is obviously doomed to fail, even for a senior year high schooler. (After finishing the game I do get that is the point, it's still just downright unrelatable and frustrating).

The second thing is Emily giving the main character shit for taking "advantage" of her when she was "vulnerable" with the whole visit thing after her break-up. What? She was the one that asked and wanted to come over and even wanted to bring alcohol after she blatantly said she wished they got together back at that party (when the main character failed making a move at).

Also, she doesn't want to "relive the past" and shit but she hooks up with her old ex boyfriend? Nah.

This game is literally made just to piss you off and make you out like the biggest simp in history.

Hakkelus

The two things that pissed me off the most is that your character is the biggest pussy/moron that does nothing to make it clear that he/she want to be together with Emily and goes the "i'm your friend and i'm always here for you :)" route in all of the available conversation options which is obviously doomed to fail, even for a senior year high schooler. (After finishing the game I do get that is the point, it's still just downright unrelatable and frustrating).

The second thing is Emily giving the main character shit for taking "advantage" of her when she was "vulnerable" with the whole visit thing after her break-up. What? She was the one that asked and wanted to come over and even wanted to bring alcohol after she blatantly said she wished they got together back at that party (when the main character failed making a move at).

Also, she doesn't want to "relive the past" and shit but she hooks up with her old ex boyfriend? Nah.

This game is literally made just to piss you off and make you out like the biggest simp in history.

Exactly. You can't make the decisions you would like to. Actually you can't decide anything, so the "game" just frustrates you, that's all. I didn't feel sad for the characters at the end, I just felt bad I couldn't DO anything I wanted in the "game".

The two things that pissed me off the most is that your character is the biggest pussy/moron that does nothing to make it clear that he/she want to be together with Emily and goes the "i'm your friend and i'm always here for you :)" route in all of the available conversation options which is obviously doomed to fail, even for a senior year high schooler.

Nice Guy Simulator 2003

MUnited83

For you.
How do I reach that ending?
Always tell Emily that your life is awesome. Say every time that things are going great. When she wants to talk about her issues, try to change the subject or use the "whatever option" if it's available. Don't go to the Travis party and don't let her come to see you. If she asks you about your feelings say you don't feel the same way.

The story also breaks a little if you refuse to attend Travis party in the first place.

Drencrom

Oh and her comment about Mike(?) that "Yeah, I hate when people change"

That's fucking rich coming from the fictional incarnation of a wishy-washy, emotionally unstable teenage woman that plays along with being the main character's friend only to "fall" for someone else and drop all the responsibility for them not hooking up 2 years later and then instantly crave to rebound with the main character only for her to start hating him/her afterwards for no reason and later freeze him/her out of her life.

This fucking game and its writing really found a new way to rile me up, I swear.

So, I saw this game mentioned in this thread and thought I'd give it a shot since it was free.

Clearly I went into this with the wrong mindset since I didn't realize until halfway through that the protagonist had feelings for Emily. I was playing it at someone who was friends with her and was getting progressively more and more annoyed with her. Like, listen, girl. We talk once a year when it's convenient for you, and the first thing you do is unload your emotional baggage on me like I'm supposed to give a shit. I don't need your sass, you self-entitled mess. Bye.

Tonguer

I finally decided to check this out after hearing some discussion about it. Wow.

Fucking Brad, man. I hate that guy.

I loved the throw-back presentation - the look, the sounds, the icons. I loved the typing mechanic as a novelty; I think I would have felt a little less engaged if I was just pressing a number, rather that making a choice and needing to pretend tap something out. The length and scope were just right. I would not want hours of this. My only issue was when I said 'alot' in a message to Emily; while I wouldn't pass the grammar police entrance exam myself, that particular one is a pet peeve. Obligatory.

What really got me, though, were some of the choices, some of 'my' indecisive backspacing, the way Emily was 'typing' then 'deleting'.
She asks to come visit
and I actually stood up from my computer and started pacing, thinking 'oh, that's not a good idea... but, I mean, she suggested it... but, not like this... buuut, let's see, how can I say this...' I think I had anxiety by the end of this, and the ending
where Emily is back with Brad, I'm alone and trying to talk to her and just chickening out of every text option with some 'how's the weather' crap ... just, ugh, twist the dagger in my chest.

Fabulous 'experience' type game. Like some others early in the thread, some of this is a little too familiar, and that's probably what made it so potent - such a great play-through. I'd be curious for those that disliked the game, if they just didn't have these kinds of interactions, aren't old enough to have been in that era, never had the nervousness about chatting, talking, 'making the first move', etc. I can imagine that if I couldn't relate to this at all, that I would think it was kind of dumb and over-hyped.. but as someone that can relate, I think the author completely nailed it.

41/m/usa, fwiw. ttyl.

The game finally did make it to Steam and is going for the low, low price of FREE!

Props!

There's also a donation section in the Item Store ($.99 to $2.99). Nice.

Thanks for pointing that out; I downloaded free and didn't see the donation section, I went back and threw a buck their way.

One last thing,
Fuck You, Brad, you were an asshole in high school, and you're still an asshole now. Em deserves better.

mdubs

Banned
Saw this in the Greg Miller thread and decided to play it. Whew, those ae some heavily emotions especially for those who remember sitting on MSN back in the day trying to flirt up a girl or something. Plus the pain of years passing by, fantastic experience game.

Sane_Man

Fuck's sake. This game was supposed to rectify all the times I pussied out with girls in my youth. Instead it was just a cold reminder that I'll be alone forever. Fuck you especially, Brad.

oatmeal

Banned
Very cool experience.

Wasn't sure what to expect but it wasn't that. I don't want to admit how many times I went back to chapter 3 to see if I could change things.

Unicorn

Y'all obviously didn't use AIM in its heyday.

I read these sour impressions and see this game delivers exactly what the AIM experience was for most high schoolers.

I played the game right now twice, back to back.

The first experience was amazing. It really hit me hard.

Then, playing it again, it kind of fell apart. I played it very differently, and I got the same responses and outcomes. Nothing really changed.

Digital: A Love Story (which sadly doesn't play on recent Macs) is really good, and this game reminded me of it. But, it also reminded me of "Save the Date", which is why I wanted to replay it immediately again. But, unlike Save the Date, it's the exact same game.

If I just played the game once, it would have been great. Playing it twice broke it. A curious thing, but nothing more.

Bummer.

Miker

The trailer killed any interest I may have had. You pick from a list of preset responses and then the game proceeds to type them like an idiot wrote them. I’ve never not used apostrophes, and seeing people not use them drives me up the wall.

i dont get this post, its supposed to be a parody

(I'd love a side story based on Emily's or Brad's perspective, although maybe not with Windows XP/AIM)

I decided to check it out after seeing it on Greg Miller's GOTY list and Nina Freeman's list on Giant Bomb

I'm only on chapter 3 and it's killing me how close to home this hits. It's a relevant parody, except in 2015-2016 it'd probably just be texting or Facebook messenger or something. I also think it's really funny how this is basically just a 'Nice Guy Simulator'

ATF487

This is the most realistic game of all time. Fuck.

Tried to get with Emma but it didn't happen, shouldn't have let Emily visit :(

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
I get it, i suppose. This game is better the more you project.

But if you don't fill in the blanks, there's just no personality to these characters.

I remember being much more clever at that age over AIM, and those I was attracted to much more interesting and direct.

At least the game spared me the date rape accusations. It still felt like an after school special, or a scenario introduced in a freshmen year college orientation class.

Gone Home or Three Fourths Home are much better experiences, I think.

Like others here I played it after seeing it on Greg Miller's GOTY list.

God damn I did not expect to e feeling how I do right now. I played this thinking that I could finally get the girl, only to be put down by the cold reality of life and the harsh truth of what I would have likely done in the same scenario.

As he kept rewriting the choices I legitimately felt bad, and as the options kept changing to "Goodbye" I knew what was coming but couldn't stop the inevitable.

FFS I need a walk the feelings are too much right now. This hit way closer to home than I was anticipating.

This is how you can turn things up in your favor.
batobvious_zpshszpouib.jpg

Do the names change?

Because in my game the guy who most of you are reffering to as Brad is Travis.

Weird.

Also the typing but not really is a bit jarring. I feel like they did that purely to have you pressing buttons. I'd rather be able to hit 1/2/3 and just have it type it out for me.

Fun little experience otherwise.

What the one above poster said, about the comparisons between the two girls, really didn't hit me until I had read it. Wow. Cool little details all around.

LycanXIII

But we liked the same music. Why couldn't I take her to a concert? Now I'll have to wait until Brad leaves her again to hear from her. :'(

Just finished playing this an hour ago.

That Windows XP really took me back. And while I'm with someone else right now, "Emily" still exists for me in real life... I wonder if we'll end up any different.

That's a fantastic game, right there!

TheYanger

Do the names change?

Because in my game the guy who most of you are reffering to as Brad is Travis.

Weird.

Also the typing but not really is a bit jarring. I feel like they did that purely to have you pressing buttons. I'd rather be able to hit 1/2/3 and just have it type it out for me.

Fun little experience otherwise.

What the one above poster said, about the comparisons between the two girls, really didn't hit me until I had read it. Wow. Cool little details all around.

Only Brad/Travis, depends on the party and if you go or not.

If the game is true to life you'll just type out a big, long explanation of your feelings to Emily, stare at it all night, but never have the balls to send it. Flash forward 15 years and you're just some nobody spending his days at work on a video game forum.

Or send it, turn off your computer for a week and never get a response.

This is how you can turn things up in your favor.
batobvious_zpshszpouib.jpg

I lol'd way too hard.

Man this game makes me realize how much I've grown. This dude acts the way I did in highschool ffs.

Edit- I really try to not blame the girl in "nice guy" situations but it's fucking stunning how
right after she asks why you didn't kiss her or w/e, you can say I WISH I HAD and she's like HEY I HAVE AN IDEA LET'S HANG OUT, SHOULD I BRING BOOZE? Like bitch what the fuck kind of thought process are you on where I'm the one planning us hooking up? Like I literally thought she was outright saying let's go on a date or something.

Psykotik

i'm a dude. played through this game twice and loved it.

was wondering how the whole experience would play out if a girl were to play it?

Meowster

The ending hit me hard. We all used AIM throughout middle school and high school and were a pretty close knit group and would have group chats every day for years. We split to two different high schools and the AIM chats ceased but I'm still somewhat good friends with a few, my best friend from that time just bought Battlefront and she and I had a blast yesterday. Still makes you feel and think

RhyDin

This game is a lawsuit waiting to happen with the dev taking donations and there being so many assets stolen, like the buddy list and AIM sounds, the AIM running man icon, maybe the snippet of the Cena theme from the radio prank.

I hope this won't happen and I enjoyed playing. It fails to really capture the AIM era with the extras, though - a lot of the achievements just seem shoehorned in for donations. Overall, kind of reminds me of a Newgrounds flash game more than anything, but I've saw worse on Steam.

This game is a lawsuit waiting to happen with the dev taking donations and there being so many assets stolen, like the buddy list and AIM sounds, the AIM running man icon, maybe the snippet of the Cena theme from the radio prank.

I hope this won't happen and I enjoyed playing. It fails to really capture the AIM era with the extras, though - a lot of the achievements just seem shoehorned in for donations. Overall, kind of reminds me of a Newgrounds flash game more than anything, but I've saw worse on Steam.

Donations are completely outside the realm of lawsuits, as long as he reports his "earnings".

oh cool, so it is just Worst Year of My Life Simulator 2009?

Sorta. I feel like everyone can relate to it a little bit, but only a little bit, and if you replay it I feel like it starts to feel artificial. It feels less like a dying friendship and more like you're watching some weirdo idiot who is literally incapable of making the right decisions ever.

Top Bottom