• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily is Away: AOL Instant Messenger narrative game (creakydooropen.wav)

Krelian91

The two things that pissed me off the most is that your character is the biggest pussy/moron that does nothing to make it clear that he/she want to be together with Emily and goes the "i'm your friend and i'm always here for you :)" route in all of the available conversation options which is obviously doomed to fail, even for a senior year high schooler. (After finishing the game I do get that is the point, it's still just downright unrelatable and frustrating).

Same thoughts I had, which I why I was very unimpressed by the game.

Fuck You, Brad, you were an asshole in high school, and you're still an asshole now. Em deserves better.

Does she?

I lol'd way too hard.

Man this game makes me realize how much I've grown. This dude acts the way I did in highschool ffs.

Edit- I really try to not blame the girl in "nice guy" situations but it's fucking stunning how
right after she asks why you didn't kiss her or w/e, you can say I WISH I HAD and she's like HEY I HAVE AN IDEA LET'S HANG OUT, SHOULD I BRING BOOZE? Like bitch what the fuck kind of thought process are you on where I'm the one planning us hooking up? Like I literally thought she was outright saying let's go on a date or something.

Nah, this was my second playthrough. The first one was a boring adult way of doing things, I didn't know what the game was about but I had certain idea, from the start I knew that Emily would be that girlfriend that you'll never get anywhere with, I've been there...
So I treated her like a friend from the start, same as Emma (that was the real mistake). In the end I quickly understood that Emily didn't care about me anymore so I said goodbye and move on.
It's pretty accurate though, I've lived situations like that.

I liked the idea of this but I didn't feel anything at the end. Had no attachment to a girl I talked to once a year who was super annoying. I away messaged her at the end and:
giphy.gif

Nelo Ice

Banned
Glad to see this thread got bumped. Never would have heard of the game otherwise. Just started and this game is too real. Feeling that nostalgia so hard right now lol.

shaowebb

I wish Will Ospreay would somehow end up forming a tag team with Pac (Adriane Neville). The more I see the guy the more I keep feeling they'd have chemistry out there together and be the new end all be all team spot duo.

Dunkley

This game doesn't really have much to offer once you've been through it once besides some easter egg statements depending on your icon, regardless of how reasonable you act it'll come down the same situation
that Emily feels weird around you and doesn't give a shit about staying in contact anymore.

Like seriously beyond inviting her and hooking up, all the ending situations are just her trying to guilt trip you over something completely unreasonable and she has no interest in actually trying to understand your point of view. Honestly the only reason the game's worth replaying is to see how much of a bad friend she actually is.

Nightbird

This game doesn't really have much to offer once you've been through it once besides some easter egg statements depending on your icon, regardless of how reasonable you act it'll come down the same situation
that Emily feels weird around you and doesn't give a shit about staying in contact anymore.

Like seriously beyond inviting her and hooking up, all the ending situations are just her trying to guilt trip you over something completely unreasonable and she has no interest in actually trying to understand your point of view. Honestly the only reason the game's worth replaying is to see how much of a bad friend she actually is.

Just like in Real life!

Just played through this twice. If you're reading this post and thinking of giving the game a try (and you should, it's only like 35 minutes long); DO NOT play through it again. It breaks the experience.

With that said, the game was a total trip as someone who graduated high school in 1998 and went through all the up and down shenanigans of talking to a girl over AOL IM. I even tipped $.99 to the dev. Thanks for the deja vu.

Yo, 2002 in-game main character,
I started shaking my head from the start. This shit will not end well.

shmoglish

In 2007
I just ended the conversation and the game ends. Is there some more content when I make a different decision?

I like it. Good (or bad) times with MSN in a nutshell.

Drencrom

Devs announced the sequel/spiritual successor:
Emily Is Away Too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOKqBj8p114
Coming 2017

Hopefully the game isn't just some simp misery story as the first game was pretty wellmade and had a nice concept besides that. There's definitely lots of potential for something more fleshed out and dynamic with the simple text messaging setting.

It also would be much more engaging if the writing doesn't always rely on creating drama over things that happens in the story between chat sessions that is either out of the player's control and/or completely out of the left field.

Top Bottom