• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily is Away Too out now ($4.99, Steam/Humble/Itch.io)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/523780/Emily_is_Away_Too/
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/emily-is-away-too
https://kyleseeley23.itch.io/emilyisawaytoo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB-H1PIx-JE

New Emily, New Choices

Emily is Away Too is an interactive story set in an old instant messenger. Message both Emily and Evelyn as you determine the outcome of your senior year. Extend the story past the chat window with youtube links, facebook profiles and file transfers. And most importantly, change your text color to lime green so everyone knows you're the coolest kid in school.

- Chat with two seperate characters, Emily and Evelyn.
- A dialogue-based branching narrative with multiple endings.
- Transmedia storytelling through hyperlinks and file transfers.
- Over 100 nostalgia-inducing buddy icons to choose from.
- Awkward high school memories you were happy to forget!

ss_6e07a677c0bc35b72d51dd8987a6a41c9ae1330b.600x338.jpg

ss_c0175267783b1da4e3ea8456430fa627031ffa0b.600x338.jpg

ss_617b611e1b87e689d094182a019e8481a0935a2e.600x338.jpg

The original was a really neat experience that was far too linear to be much more than a proof of concept, but the potential for this type of narrative game is really interesting so I'm happy to see they are trying to expand their scope.

Miker

Holy shit a sequel. I made a thread for the first game a long, long time ago, and it was basically gaffers (myself included) catching feels about how pathetic we all were in high school. Now that there's a new game I guess I can twist that dagger even deeper.

Also, interesting that they're debranding things this time around. I think the original game had straight up AOL and Xanga, etc interface and references. Although I see that it's being sold now, so that's probably the reason.

Holy shit a sequel. I made a thread for the first game a long, long time ago, and it was basically gaffers (myself included) catching feels about how pathetic we all were in high school. Now that there's a new game I guess I can twist that dagger even deeper.

Also, interesting that they're debranding things this time around. I think the original game had straight up AOL and Xanga, etc interface and references. Although I see that it's being sold now, so that's probably the reason.
Hmm. I feel like that makes it lose some of the charm and appeal from the original because the branding was a part of the nostalgia. It immersed you in the world.

Hope this one's better, the first game had some fun mechanical ideas but the story quickly devolved into Shitty Fuckboy Who Feels Entitled To Romance with a Woman: The Game.

plushyp

Hope this one's better, the first game had some fun mechanical ideas but the story quickly devolved into Shitty Fuckboy Who Feels Entitled To Romance with a Woman: The Game.
It must have been the way you played the game then because it never devolved into that in the playthrough I had. What I got was a bit depressing tale of wrong timing and regrets.

Sotha Sil

Christine Love's Ladykiller In a Bind really "killed" the romantic sim with its meta aspects (taking into account the fact that the player always tend to be manipulative even when the character's supposed to be genuine, and turning it into a gameplay aspect), so I was wondering how Emily 2 would handle this specific aspect of the genre. Turns out it handles it fine, with a few gut punches along the way. Lovely sequel!

yatesl

I'll be interested in hearing how this is.

Sort of like Frog Fractions 1, the first was a nice surprise that I only heard of through here. Not sure how it would be a second time.

PsionBolt

I feel like conceptually, Facebook and Youtube don't really match the aesthetic / feel that the AIM window has... Should have at least gone with MySpace and Google Video. It does use the older looks for FB/YT, but even still, it feels mismatched.

Makonero

It was pretty good! I'm curious what other people got for their endings

I ended up dating Evelyn, we're staying together, and I patched things up with Emily.

I had a lot of nostalgia for the era, but since my taste in music has never been current, that aspect kind of didn't land. I did love the fake website stuff and how it literally downloads stuff to your desktop. There's also a part in the middle I loved
where you go back and forth between the Emily crisis and Evelyn's crisis and I'm curious what would have happened if Emily didn't time out on me and throw a hissy fit.

Kind of wish there was more than the dating stuff; it would have been nice to have more characters to interact with.

Definitely worth $5.

microtubule

I thought the game was a nice improvement from the first Emily. Well worth the $5 bucks.

It's amazing how much nostalgia the game brought to the surface. Looks like there are lots of secrets so several replays are in order!

Sotha Sil

It was pretty good! I'm curious what other people got for their endings.

I lied to one of them about wanting to have kids, and the game punched me in the gut for it, which was expected and cool ! Ended up all alone after a very believable break up chat with Emily.

I lied to one of them about wanting to have kids, and the game punched me in the gut for it, which was expected and cool ! Ended up all alone after a very believable break up chat with Emily.
Wow this is exactly what happened in a let's play I watched. Honestly, that children question was slightly bs with its answer choices.

Wow this is exactly what happened in a let's play I watched. Honestly, that children question was slightly bs with its answer choices.

It was.
The same thing happened to me because of the way some answers are worded, and a lot of people ran into the same ending for the same reasons. I can see what they were going for, but I thought how it handled that was kind of unfortunate.

Top Bottom