• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: (Rumor) Retro Studios NX game isn't Metroid or DKC. Releases 2017.

J@hranimo

Banned
Gonna assume it's dat new IP. They've proven themselves with both Metroid (remember "omg a first person Metroid?!?!?!?") and Donkey Kong Country.

It would be great for the first year of the NX too.

Clov

I wouldn't be surprised if after Federation Force, Next Level gets a chance at a traditional Metroid game.

I'd rather they work on a new Luigi's Mansion. Dark Moon was fantastic!

I wonder if this is really a new IP, or a revival of a dormant Nintendo IP? Mysterious Murasame Castle, StarTropics, Famicom Detective Club... plenty to choose from!

Metroid id dead, the Prime trilogy is over, The Other M dream turned out to be a nightmare, there not many talented developers willing to make a Metroid game.\

*Points to Kickstarter. Not to any game in particular, just to Kickstarter in general.*

Also, just because a story is seemingly over doesn't mean that you can't add another installment. They could totally make Metroid Prime 4 if they wanted. Hell, they even teased it at the end of MP3.

Randomizer

They most certainly have the talent to make a successful new IP but I just hope it isn't too 'mature' or western influenced.

Enforced

Retro is developing Super Rosalina. Rosalina gets her own game!

In seriousness. This is really exciting. I'm looking forward their next game.

Kid Ying

Thank god. I never wanted for them to do more metroid, although i would like more donkey Kong, but i can live without it.

Let's see if its a new ip

They most certainly have the talent to make a successful new IP but I just hope it isn't too 'mature' or western influenced.

I do agree with this. I want something that feels more "western" but still has that classic Nintendo game design and charm.

I think the way Rare used to make their games is a good example of that. The DKC and Banjo games had that Nintendo energy to them but yet they felt different from what usually comes from Nintendo's divisions in Japan.

CronoShot

Someone get a camera on Retro's building!
this is a reference joke, don't take it seriously lol

Relevant

AlwKC.jpg

From this thread, if you didn't know.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The last time we got this complaint, we got Metroid prime. I don't think there will be any issues.

Metroid Prime turned out the way it did because Miyamoto got directly involved and cancelled all their other original games (which were, by most accounts, either floundering in dev hell or just plain bad).

I'm not saying they haven't earned a shot at an original game but one has to wonder...

Astral Dog

Why can't Nintendo develop a new Metroid in-house?

Sakamoto was the one in charge of that, and his team too small to develop a next huge hd game. Miyamoto rarely touches Metroid, Aonuma is busy with Zelda, other teams with Mario, Animal Crossing,etc.
i would say only "they are busy"

I do agree with this. I want something that feels more "western" but still has that classic Nintendo game design and charm.

I think the way Rare used to make their games is a good example of that. The DKC and Banjo games had that Nintendo energy to them but yet they felt different from what usually comes from Nintendo's divisions in Japan.

To be Fair the newest Killer Instinct to me felt more like a Japanese game (Street Fighter) than a Western game (Mortal Kombat).

Retro aren't lacking in creativity at all. Tropical Freeze alone should suffice for that. I dislike implicitly referring to a lack of creativity as "western" because that's just blatantly false.

Initially disappointed it wasn't Prime 4.

However, Retro deserve a chance to spread their wings and show us what ideas they have cooking. Their re imagining of metroid was fantastic and ballsy - heck it could have been a separate different series to what came before.

Their work with DK showed GODLY level design.

I'm excited for Retro, I'm excited for Nintendo :)

A release in 2017 is great! A major Zelda game and Retro game in the same calendar year goes a little ways to repairing damage. Need a lot more though! As I said in the other thread. Gimme some W101-2 and Bayonetta 3 :)

EDIT - As to the comment mentioning Miyamoto's involvement with Prime. Retro are a lot more mature a studio now; nintendo are also not shy to allocating resources for a single project across different internal studios.

With regards to Miyamoto. As the legend nears retirement, I really want to see him tackle a new IP and go full out crazy with it. Star Fox zero looks fantastic, but I just WANT for the guy to go out to a game that's universally praised and has a resounding affect on the industry. It is the romantic in me talking, but I'd love for it to happen.

Astral Dog

*Points to Kickstarter. Not to any game in particular, just to Kickstarter in general.*

Also, just because a story is seemingly over doesn't mean that you can't add another installment. They could totally make Metroid Prime 4 if they wanted. Hell, they even teased it at the end of MP3.

True, but this rumor contradicts that :p

Neoxon

I had a gut feeling that it was a new IP, but it's nice to hear that it's supposedly going in that direction. Now we just have to wait & see if Emily's intel is on the money.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Sakamoto was the one in charge of that, and his team too small to develop a next huge hd game. Miyamoto rarely touches Metroid, Aonuma is busy with Zelda, other teams with Mario, Animal Crossing,etc.
i would say only "they are busy"

That's not true anymore. The former EAD developers and SPD developers merged last year. So there is a large pool of staff that can now swing around projects between each production group. But I think when Sakamoto's production group returns to Metroid, it will be in 2D form.

Metroid Prime turned out the way it did because Miyamoto got directly involved and cancelled all their other original games (which were, by most accounts, either floundering in dev hell or just plain bad).

I'm not saying they haven't earned a shot at an original game but one has to wonder...

That was then this is now, Retro was somewhat unproven at the time. Nowadays they're one of the most capable developers you could ask to make a game.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
While I would welcome a Metroid or DK game from Retro I respect if they moved on to something new. Tropical Freeze is a platforming masterpiece and complements DKCR nicely. I'd like to see what that genius can do with time dedicated on something new.

I bet any amount of money that the people at Retro hear "Are you working on the next Metroid?" question on a near daily basis. It hasn't hit Half-Life 2 or Duke Nuke'Em status as the trilogy was complete almost 10 years ago with Metroid Prime 3. I can easily see a development team challenge themselves to take the series in a new direction with new technology or abandon it all together as to not have their work measured against the shadow of past titles.

Whatever you are up to Retro, good luck and godspeed!

Rösti;202167551 said:
I spoke to the same sources, but decided to not post it for certain reasons.
Not to be mean, but you seem to like to post these cryptic messages without explanation.

What does that even mean? Are her sources bad?

I find it funny that people still hate Sakamoto with a passion when he's actually still a good developer.
Hasn't his recent projects being highly successful?

Jobbs

Banned
I find it funny that people still hate Sakamoto with a passion when he's actually still a good developer.

After Other M he's a good developer the same way George Lucas is a good film maker.

Both of them completely don't understand their own properties and shat directly on their core fans

Zebei

As much as I would have LOVED more Metroid or DK
or Kid Icarus out of nowhere. Please
I expected this.

Hopefully whatever the hell they are working on is good so no one can complain about it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
The sources are valid, why I chose not to post about this personally.

Well, Other M is a very, very bad game so yeah, that's gonna sour a lot of people on him for years to come.

I feel like the only way Sakamoto can really redeem himself at this point is by getting his shit together and making a really good 2D Metroid game, like, a really damn good one. Until then, I'm afraid Other M will be a permanent scar on his track record.

Top Bottom