• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: (Rumor) Retro Studios NX game isn't Metroid or DKC. Releases 2017.

Rösti;202170499 said:
The sources are valid, why I chose not to post about this personally.

Do you have any idea of what to expect from the game? How excited are you by what you've heard.

Won't ask for specifics given the malarky at the moment. Just curious.

Well, Other M is a very, very bad game so yeah, that's gonna sorrow a lot of people on him for years to come.

I feel like the only way Sakamoto can really redeem himself at this point is by getting his shit together and making a really good 2D Metroid game, like, a really damn good one. Until then, I'm afraid Other M will be a permanent scar on his track record.
This reason is what's wrong with fans. I think he said he's no longer doing Metroid. Why still hate the guy?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Rösti;202170499 said:
The sources are valid, why I chose not to post about this personally.

Are you quite sure? Did you implied that fake controller was real? I didn't really follow the thread that close enough to see it out.

Pokemaniac

Interesting. Lack of Metroid Prime is disappointing, but Retro hasn't made a bad game yet, so I'm definitely interested in this.

Metroid is dead.

b7LVK1C.jpg

-Horizon-

I find it funny that people still hate Sakamoto with a passion when he's actually still a good developer.
Hasn't his recent projects being highly successful?

I don't dislike Sakamoto, he makes great games. I just think that what he wrote for Other M was bad. And what was it, he doesn't even count the Prime games as canon for some reason or another.

bachikarn

Can they just farm out Metroid to a different Western third party. I'm sure there are plenty of talented developers who would love to do their take on it. Don't see what Nintendo has to lose.

Good move if true. A few new IPs is just what Nintendo need to freshen up their output. A new IP will get more press attention, especiAlly if it makes good use of the new hardware.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I actually want a new DKC!

Both of the newest ones are solid as hell!

-Horizon-

Can they just farm out Metroid to a different Western third party. I'm sure there are plenty of talented developers who would love to do their take on it. Don't see what Nintendo has to lose.

Well we already saw the Zelda IP given to Koei Tecmo for hyrule warriors. At most, I can see it happening again for Metroid but it'll be a "spinoff" like HW rather than a continuation.

I think it is going to be a shooter. I wonder if Nintendo would ever let one of their western companies develop a "M"rated game to attract "core" gamer.

I don't dislike Sakamoto, he makes great games. I just think that what he wrote for Other M was bad. And what was it, he doesn't even count the Prime games as canon for some reason or another.

It's not so much as he doesn't see them as canon as much as he considers it a side story.

I believe that's how Nintendo has always viewed the Metroid franchise, as two different series basically: The (mostly) 2D Mainline games from R&D1 and/or Sakamoto and the 3D "spinoff" Prime games from Retro Studios (or Nintendo Software Technology, and I guess Next Level Games).

It's kind of a factor into why in Smash Bros, Sakurai always bases Samus's powersuit design on Super Metroid/Zero Mission/Other M instead of the Prime games.

Kid Ying

Well, Other M is a very, very bad game so yeah, that's gonna sour a lot of people on him for years to come.

I feel like the only way Sakamoto can really redeem himself at this point is by getting his shit together and making a really good 2D Metroid game, like, a really damn good one. Until then, I'm afraid Other M will be a permanent scar on his track record.
I doubt that will happen. He doesn't seem to be interested in metroid since a long time, he's a big shot at Nintendo and needs to supervise lots of stuff and his other projects sells much better. I think after other m divisive reception, he Will never return again for it... Bug who knows.

True, but this rumor contradicts that :p

I said they could, not that they would. Hell, I'll be the first person to tell you that they'll never make another Metroid despite the fact that they easily could just because Nintendo took the wrong lesson from Other M's failure.

I could see Nintendo trying to feel in some of the gaps in their line up. That being said a 3d adventure game from them is long over do. With Zelda having its own tropes to adhere to this is an area that has yet to be explored fully by Nintendo. I'd also be interested in seeing another FPS from them.

Trojan

Nintendo has nothing to lose, but the developer has everything to lose. Nintendo consoles are on extremely shaky ground after the sales failure that was the Wii U

Red Hood

Banned
Well, Other M is a very, very bad game so yeah, that's gonna sour a lot of people on him for years to come.

He's responsible for the sheer perfectness that is Super Metroid, the amazing Zero Mission and the good Fusion. On the other hand, he has Other M under his name. I'd say he breaks even.

I wouldn't mind a new game from him, I still believe he hasn't lost it. But if he does make a new Metroid game and it surpasses Other M in awfulness, he shouldn't come close to the series.

-Horizon-

It's not so much as he doesn't see them as canon as much as he considers it a side story.

I believe that's how Nintendo has always viewed the Metroid franchise, as two different series basically: The (mostly) 2D Mainline games from R&D1 and/or Sakamoto and the 3D "spinoff" Prime games from Retro Studios (or Nintendo Software Technology, and I guess Next Level Games).

It's kind of a factor into why in Smash Bros, Sakurai always bases Samus's powersuit design on Super Metroid/Zero Mission/Other M instead of the Prime games.

I don't think he ever said that. Pretty sure it was that the Prime games are canon, but spin-offs, which they are.

EDIT: Beaten
I see, guess I got bad info about that then. But hey, at least we got Dark Samus and Light Suit Samus in Smash.

I figured that they were not developing Metroid Prime due to the series low sales. I can see theme doing a Western-RPG since Nintendo does not have one of those games.

emb

Rumor sounds possibly too good to be true. I'll cross my fingers though.

If it's planned now for 2017, I bet I'll actually play it in 2018.

Griss

Holy shit this is terrible news for a Prime fan like me.

Two days ago: "Fed Force was delayed to ride the boost of the reveal of Retro's new Metroid for NX at E3!"
Yesterday: "Well, I guess we're going to have to wait for that new Metroid reveal. But surely it's coming!"
Today: "Metroid is dead. It's fucking dead."

Excited for a new IP, though. Glad it's not a new DKC. Tropical Freeze could not realistically be topped, after all.

Malus

I just hope it's 3D, whatever it is.

I'm expecting something colorful and cartoony, hopefully in a good way.

LewieP

Would be cool to get a new IP from Retro.

I'd still like a new Metroid though. Would be just as happy with a new 2D Metroid as a new Metroid Prime, as long as it had a proper budget and a good team behind it.

They're probably not big enough to have two projects in the go at once, are they?

Edit: Would Waluigi's Sneak 'n' Love count as a new IP?

Holy shit this is terrible news for a Prime fan like me.

Two days ago: "Fed Force was delayed to ride the boost of the reveal of Retro's new Metroid for NX at E3!"
Yesterday: "Well, I guess we're going to have to wait for that new Metroid reveal. But surely it's coming!"
Today: "Metroid is dead. It's fucking dead."

Excited for a new IP, though. Glad it's not a new DKC. Tropical Freeze could not realistically be topped, after all.
Of course that game could be topped, Tropical Freeze is one of those rare games that's overrated but still really really good.

Top Bottom