• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: (Rumor) Retro Studios NX game isn't Metroid or DKC. Releases 2017.

DKCTF might be the greatest 2D platformer of all time. It really is amazing.
It's one of the better ones but I'm not even sure it's better than Returns. The music and variety is easily though. Maybe because it inevitably borrows ideas from that game. It's a great game though but there are more heavy hitters in that genre that people may be forgetting. It's the best Wii U plat former though but Woolly World surprisingly isn't left in the dust even from that group.

daTRUballin

So not DKC, DKR2, or Metroid? Hmm. Very interesting. A new IP perhaps? This might give Retro a chance to show us what they can do without being shackled to Nintendo IPs.

Much as I want another 3D FPA Metroid, I want to see what they're up to NOW.
I'm sure it's the Captain Falcon ARPG we've wanted all along

If Rogers is right, I wonder who's working on a new Metroid--if it's even possible that it's being worked on, anyway. :(

Call this a hunch but I'm betting on Luigi's Mansion 3. After Dark Moon's sales, I could see Nintendo willing to elevate the series from B-tier quality to AAA. Especially since it sold well in both the west and east. Seems like it'd be something up Retro's alley and they could pull off really well.

I actually wish it was a third DKC from them. As a rabid Donkey Kong fan (favorite Nintendo character) I've had to put up with a lot of garbage before getting Returns and the unbelievably good Tropical Freeze. The bad sales of TF make me worry that I'll be lucky if Nintendo ever makes another DKC game.

If the NX takes off, Tropical Freeze is a game that deserves to be re-released. Returns sold great and TF deserves a chance to find an audience on hardware that isn't dead.

I actually wish it was a third DKC from them. As a rabid Donkey Kong fan (favorite Nintendo character) I've had to put up with a lot of garbage before getting Returns and the unbelievably good Tropical Freeze. The bad sales of TF make me worry that I'll be lucky if Nintendo ever makes another DKC game.
It didn't sell that poorly when it was all said and done.

It's DK, they won't ever die.
Mostly just been seen as unfortunate timing.

If the NX takes off, Tropical Freeze is a game that deserves to be re-released. Returns sold great and TF deserves a chance to find an audience on hardware that isn't dead.

Would you be cool with a 3D Donkey Kong game by Retro, in the vein of DK64? Because I'd be down with that.

The only remaster needed on the NX is Kid Icarus Uprising.

Or better yet, a sequel.

Hell yeah.

I think Nintendo realizes that the Wii U was just a terrible platform that tons of things bombed on. However, I could see them lowering DKC's priority as a franchise and likely outsource to Monster games or something.

Glad it's not Metroid. I don't need another Prime. Get the game out of first person.

Completely the opposite opinion here; I really want the next big Metroid to be first person. We've got so many great upcoming (Ghost Song for sure!) and already released games in the 2D Metroid vein but no one seems to want to go after that genre in first person like Prime.

metroidprime04.jpg

More of this please!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Well... this could be good. I really want another Metroid game from Retro but if the new IP looks good I'll deal. That said, I really hope this is not a platformer.

My main concern is with no one really working on the DKC series, Nintendo might not know what to do with it.

See, this already happened to DK after Rare left Nintendo. After the buyout, they kinda threw the series around, making weird spinoffs like King of Swing, Jungle Beat, Jungle Climber, Donkey Konga, Barrel Blast, etc. It wasn't until it was given to Retro Studios where we finally got a proper Country game.

Completely the opposite opinion here; I really want the next big Metroid to be first person. We've got so many great upcoming (Ghost Song for sure!) and already released games in the 2D Metroid vein but no one seems to want to go after that genre in first person like Prime.

metroidprime04.jpg

More of this please!
Maybe the best game of all time.
Even Echoes was fucking stellar.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I think the sales of Returns will keep DKC from being dead for good. The question is why did TF drop off so hard? Did the audience that bought Returns dislike it, or was it due to the Wii U having a tiny audience and an abundance of 2D platformers?

I think the sales of Returns will keep DKC from being dead for good. The question is why did TF drop off so hard? Did the audience that bought Returns dislike it, or was it due to the Wii U having a tiny audience and an abundance of 2D platformers?

Probably that.

From my understanding the game did reach a million, but it probably would of been much more successful on a more successful console.

My main concern is with no one really working on the DKC series, Nintendo might not know what to do with it.

See, this already happened to DK after Rare left Nintendo. After the buyout, they kinda threw the series around, making weird spinoffs like King of Swing, Jungle Beat, Jungle Climber, Donkey Konga, Barrel Blast, etc. It wasn't until it was given to Retro Studios where we finally got a proper Country game.

Expand Retro Studios, have them be the DKC devs and the Metroid/other game devs

Galang

Banned
Yas!!!! So glad it's not either (if true). Although I would have easily taken Diddy Kong Racing 2 over almost anything else

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't dislike Sakamoto, he makes great games. I just think that what he wrote for Other M was bad. And what was it, he doesn't even count the Prime games as canon for some reason or another.
He never said they werent canon, the prime games were always suppose to take place between metroid/zero mission and metroid 2, he just reiterated on that point, they werent suppose to be major plot progressing games anyways.

Trojan

I've got major nostalgia for a Star Tropics, but I feel like that could be fraught with peril if done improperly.

Call this a hunch but I'm betting on Luigi's Mansion 3. After Dark Moon's sales, I could see Nintendo willing to elevate the series from B-tier quality to AAA. Especially since it sold well in both the west and east. Seems like it'd be something up Retro's alley and they could pull off really well.

Seems like a waste of a studio if they handheld Luigi's Mansion 3. Next Level would be more than capable.

chadboban

Retro are one of my favorite devs. Haven't played a single bad game from them. They have an amazing track record. Can't wait to see what they're up to.

It won't be Metroid since a lot of the team moved on. Metroid's in Nintendo's hands now, most likely SPD with Kensuke Tanabe as producer again.

EulaCapra

If it really is a new IP, THANK EFFING GOD.

It was always disheartening to see them bearing the burdens of reigniting stagnant IPs. To see them finally create something completely new would be really exciting!

ChaosXVI

I recall back in 2012 or so Emily Rogers posted another rumor from Retro Studios: That they were specifically not working on a sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns. And then Tropical Freeze got announced (and became the best Wii U game, easily imo).

I'll never believe any rumor that has to do with Retro. If Nintendo were a high security bank, Retro would be the vault in that bank. Nothing ever leaks from them.

So this doesn't really rule out Retro doing a new Metroid, which is what I'm hoping for the most, but if they really are on a new IP, I'm totally down for that too. I just don't buy Retro's info getting out.

Seems like a waste of a studio if they handheld Luigi's Mansion 3. Next Level would be more than capable.
NLG is capable and made a good game with Dark Moon. However, I don't think they'd be able to handle a Luigi's Mansion title on a PS4 level system. I think Retro is a higher caliber developer and if Nintendo wanted to make a Luigi's Mansion on a next gen console with a larger scope they would make more sense. I also think that it could play into a lot of their strengths as a developer and I imagine the game's structure would be different from the other two.

Instro

A little bit of everything probably. Small console audience, platformer fatigue, poor initial reaction due to fan expectations, minimal marketing, etc.

It's one of the better ones but I'm not even sure it's better than Returns. The music and variety is easily though. Maybe because it inevitably borrows ideas from that game. It's a great game though but there are more heavy hitters in that genre that people may be forgetting. It's the best Wii U plat former though but Woolly World surprisingly isn't left in the dust even from that group.
Woolly World is so good. It's very underrated

MoonFrog

Übermatik;202175707 said:
It won't be Metroid since a lot of the team moved on. Metroid's in Nintendo's hands now, most likely SPD with Kensuke Tanabe as producer again.

:( :( :(

I really want Metroid out of both Tanabe's and Sakamoto's hands. Tanabe wants to turn Metroid into a sunday morning cartoon stylistically (see Corruption and Federation Force) and a shooter mechanically (see the Hunters, Corruption, Federation Force trend). Meanwhile Sakamoto wants to turn Metroid into a linear, story-driven 2D action game with a crappy Samus (see Fusion, Other M). Why can't some developer who likes the spirit of Metroid I-III and Metroid Prime 1-2 control the franchise? I'm not sure modern Retro is that developer, but they are the last proven team in a world where NCL seems to completely not understand Metroid.

IDK, as I said on the first page: I think this is good for Retro but bad for Metroid. The next great Metroid is going to come as a surprise for me and that is more the case than ever if this rumor is true.

diaspora

ha, I remember Reggie coming out during VGX or something with a Metroid pin on and saying something about a Retro announcement and it ended up being Cranky Kong. I can't imagine that got them or the franchise any goodwill.

:( :( :(

I really want Metroid out of both Tanabe's and Sakamoto's hands. Tanabe wants to turn Metroid into a sunday morning cartoon stylistically (see Corruption and Federation Force) and a shooter mechanically (see the Hunters, Corruption, Federation Force trend). Meanwhile Sakamoto wants to turn Metroid into a linear, story-driven 2D action game with a crappy Samus (see Fusion, Other M). Why can't some developer who likes the spirit of Metroid I-III and Metroid Prime 1-2 control the franchise? I'm not sure modern Retro is that developer, but they are the last proven team in a world where NCL seems to completely not understand Metroid.

IDK, as I said on the first page: I think this is good for Retro but bad for Metroid. The next great Metroid is going to come as a surprise for me and that is more the case than ever if this rumor is true.
Part of me wonders if it wouldn't be best to give Tom Happ a try at the franchise along with a shoestring budget.

Top Bottom