• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

End of a generation: what is the best looking game of the PS3/360 era?

AAK

God of War Ascension EASILY:

iCt5cbj5l8G86.gif

And that was on 45-60 FPS framerate too.

sasuke_91

Speaking about pure tech: Maybe The Last of Us or Beyond: Two Souls.
General Accomplishment: Journey and Ni no Kuni. Those two games were just gorgeous.

omonimo

Banned
GTA V is impressive for the scale and lighting, but a lot of other things sorta make it really uneven visually. Max Payne 3 has much better image quality and looks better in every way compared to GTA V.

That reminds me, Max Payne 3 looks incredible.

Absolutely not. GTA V put in the shame everthing this generation. Especially Max Payne 3. The scale of the game, the texture... I don't see what has exactly of special Max Payne compared to GTA V or any other game.

bob page

From a technical standpoint, I'd have to go with GTA5, God of War 3 and Uncharted 2.

As for a combo of art and graphics, definitely Journey and No no Kuni.

Nags

Banned
Mirror's Edge isn't on Frostbite. Maybe you should do a little research next time?

The+Shining+Read+Description+.+This+is+the+only+scene+in_63040d_3497302.jpg

Easily The Last of Us.

The Last of Us

Yeah, TLOU certainly.

The Last of Us, no question.

The Last of Us.

The last of us.

The Last of Us.

The Last of Us.

Anything else is just the wrong answer :)

CF22

The Last of Us. GTA V also, I'm amazed at what Rockstar was able to accomplish considering it is a huge open world game on 7 year old tech.

Pure visual tech: The Last of Us, followed by Beyond: Two Souls

General Accomplishment: Uncharted 2 (or 3), with the 360 version of The Witcher 2 close behind. TLOU falls a bit short here because of performance (framerate). Uncharted 2 looks phenomenal AND runs smoothly at all times.

kmg90

GTA 5 is pretty high up in terms of overall looks as I'm absolutely amazed at the detail every time I cruise around Los Santos and surrounding areas...

Beyond Two Souls might have it beat but then again it's a very linear/contained game and also they letterbox the top and bottom.

Last of Us looks pretty good but good portions of the story cinematics in the game are pre-rendered videos

Personally I think there can't be ONE BEST looking game as games can been the best looking for different reasons (GTA5 = amazingly detailed open world, Beyond 2 Souls = amazingly detailed adventure story game)

CHC

Guys come on TLOU was a great game but ass ugly. Animation and art was great but the textures and jaggies were horrid at times. Not in any way "easily" best LOOKING game of last gen.

Some of my choices:
-God of War 3 / Ascension
-Uncharted 3
-Final Fantasy XIII (deny it all you want but the hair and faces were amazing)
-Mirror's Edge - super slick image quality, great colors, felt way ahead of its time
-Beyond: Two Souls

Not necessarily the best games of the gen but they so look nice.

Beyond Two Souls final chapters > everything else as far as what's actually being displayed on your screen, but of course, the game is extremely limited.

Other then that, TLoU and GTAV

BondFancy

Definitely Bioshock Infinite, I haven't been that pulled in by graphics before in my life, and that was on my tube top television!

MormaPope

Banned
Absolutely not. GTA V put in the shame everthing this generation. Especially Max Payne 3. The scale of the game, the texture... I don't see what has exactly of special Max Payne compared to GTA V or any other game.

Uh, Max Payne 3 decimates GTA V when it comes to textures, framerate, animations, facial movement, character models.

omonimo

Banned
I didn't have any jaggies in TLOU. I even noticed how clean it was with no jaggies and all.

Well, when the place are filled of the 'fog of the spore' seems to play to low res. Or I have in mind the
snowstorm in the city
. Not sure how anyone can't notice jaggies there.

TuXx

The Last of us
Beyond two souls
Final Fantasy 13
God of War 3

Those are the best looking games of this gen

MormaPope

Banned
In your mind of course. But tech wise is another story.

"What is the best looking game of the PS3/360 era?" is the question, not which game had better tech. If you think GTA V looks better than Max Payne 3 I don't know what to tell you, GTA V at times is the jaggy capital of the world. Some character models have 2D objects plastered on.

Well, when the place are filled of the 'fog of the spore' seems to play to low res. Or I have in mind the
snowstorm in the city
. Not sure how anyone can't notice jaggies there.

I don't know. Maybe it was just me. Maybe my TV idk but I didn't notice any jaggies.

razorman

360 : Halo 4, Gears 3/Judgement
PS3 : Uncharted 3

Dead Space series should get a mention for its wonderful lighting effects.

Top Bottom