• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Xbox is poised to dominate the next console generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airbus Jr

Banned
This was a BLATANT lie that Sony decided to spew to deceive casuals. I laughed myself to tears. Especially the way Sony fans were defending it.

I think at this point everyone's already knows the pro didn't do native 4K

People just don't really care anymore about the graphic difference and just want to play on where most their friends are playing

Last edited:

ViceGrity2000

Neo Member
1080p was all the rave in the beginning but, no one cares about 4K or Faux K with mid gen consoles. Makes sense. Lol.

You truly live in a bubble my friend, and admirably. I'll allow this for now.

"most real gamers, by poll, prefer better frame rates, solid frame rates, with no dips, and no judder, and no screen tearing, BY A COUNTRY MILE."

I can't even believe you said this seeing as every bullet point you brought up were the EXACT reasons for the midgen consoles to begin with. Lol. Woo, boy!

Id probably do a bit of research about your stats about what "real" gamers care about. LOL!

Lay it out than. Elaborate. Prove it. Don't just make blanket statements and be coy, vague and ambiguous.
You have specifics?

I think at this point everyone's already knows the pro didn't do native 4K

People just don't really care anymore about the graphic difference and just want to play on where most their friends are playing

Correction: Fanboys don't care anymore since they clearly lost that fight awhile ago.

I mean they're here talking about "who cares? Most fans are still on the og xbox" lol moot point.

Pro isn't native 4k "thats Rockstars fault " 🤣🤣🤣

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Lay it out than. Elaborate. Prove it. Don't just make blanket statements and be coy, vague and ambiguous.
You have specifics?
Not my job to give you specifics. If you call yourself a "real" gamer [LOL] then you've been following the gaming community for some time now - same as most on these forums. And if that's the case, you know I dont need to do anything of the kind. You should know this by now. It's only been one of the most heavily talked about topics since the PS4 Pro released, and even more so when the X released. Jesus. There's even a plethora of gaming channels that are SPECIFICALLY created to speak ONLY about the resolution differences between Pro , X and PC, FFS mate.

Gavon West

Correction: Fanboys don't care anymore since they clearly lost that fight awhile ago.

I mean they're here talking about "who cares? Most fans are still on the og xbox" lol moot point.

giphy.gif

It is MJ, it is meant to 360 and "moon"walk away. Otherwise it would have been a 180, and that just kills the entire premise.

No that gif, originally was a response to a fan boy in terms of "if you see a 360 you just turn around and walk away" and the part that was funny was that a 360 has you facing the same way, so somebody made that gif to SHOW that the logic was flawed.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Don't understand why you guys are so rilled up over this

Let just enjoy red dead redemption 2 for what it is, a great game regardless you're playing it on PS4/one or pro/x

Most people aren't going to spent another $400-500 for pro/one knowing the nextgen are coming soon

Off course we're on Neogaf with lots of hardcore gamer so I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of people with midgen system owner lurking around here

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
LMAO!

Dude, STAHP!!

Maybe that's why Sony did this then...

red-dead-redemption-2-ps4-playstation-4-2.original.jpg

Was this Rockstar's fault too? Lol

What does this has to do with the broken checkboard implementation? I'm not talking about this and the game output is 2160p so that's correct.

I really don't know what the fuck your problem is?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Let just enjoy red dead redemption 2 for what it is, a great game regardless you're playing it on PS4/one or pro/x

Most people aren't going to spent another $400-500 for pro/one knowing the nextgen are coming soon

We're on Neogaf here with lots of hardcore gamer so I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of people with midgen system owner lurking around here

Make no mistake; no one is saying not to enjoy the benefits of both systems. Both are great for what they were created for. But RDR2 is an amazing piece of gaming and it looks incredible on the X in true 4K. One can state that fact as truth, the other can not. It's as simple as that.

And apparently, there are many who are very interested in buying new systems according to the latest hardware sales for $400-$500 systems - even with a new generation on the horizon. I mean, c'mon. We have two more years before the new systems release. That's a long time.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Xbox fans are celebrating over 4k while a $100 more expensive tablet with sub-1080p graphics is curb stomping the XB in sales?

Pixels don't sell consoles.

Last edited:

Gavon West

What does this has to do with the broken checkboard implementation? I'm not talking about this and the game output is 2160p so that's correct.

I really don't know what the fuck your problem is?
Cmon, breh! 2160 is only HALF the story in the case of RDR2 on the Pro. Sony gave a "technical" spec in order to be able to say that the Pro version is also native 4K, same as the X version when that certainly was not the case. So they did in fact, LIE to casuals who wouldnt know the difference with the advertisement. Red Dead is NOT NATIVE 4K on the Pro, Sony knew it and lied anyway.

Jesus, now that I think about it, the original Red Dead from last gen on the X is a higher resolution than Red Dead II on the Pro. Christ!

Last edited:

Gavon West

Xbox fans are celebrating over 4k while a $100 more expensive tablet with sub-1080p graphics is curb stomping the XB in sales?

Pixels don't sell consoles.
I've heard of moving goal posts, but moving whole stadiums???

When did tablets (Switch) come into the conversation??? Lol.

Last edited:

Off course we're on Neogaf with lots of hardcore gamer so I wouldn't be surprised to see alot of people with midgen system owner lurking around here

I have RDR 2 UE on Ps4 and Reg edition on the X. I been enjoying my consoles but the hilarity that ensues in these threads is too much sometimes lol.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I have RDR 2 UE on Ps4 and Reg edition on the X. I been enjoying my consoles but the hilarity that ensues in these threads is too much sometimes lol.

Off course...indeed...

Now..I'm glad you're you're enjoying your console of choice as I do....

Tbh find the hillarity on this thread to be..rather..fascinating...

So since everybody seems to be in good terms now...

How about we shake hands and lower the tension abit shall here?

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is a lie and only works in Xbox theory and fantasy.

In a side by side comparison in your face, the down sampling on a 1080p HDTV looks exactly the same between the two.

Lol what? I'm sorry, a lie?

Look you can say that it looks the same to you. My girlfriend watches a 4k disc and she says she can't see the difference between a regular Blu Ray.

Does that Mean the 4k disc is smoke and mirrors? Because that is what you're suggesting.

It's a fact it's a better image. It's a higher resolution being super sampled. If it looks the same then why even offer super sampaling to begin with?

Last edited:
Off course...indeed...

Now..I'm glad you're you're enjoying your console of choice as I do....

Tbh find the hillarity on this thread to be..rather..fascinating...

So since everybody seems to be in good terms now...

How about we shake hands and lower the tension abit shall here?

giphy.gif

We can have peace until the next new-release graphics comparison thread, I guess?

This was a BLATANT lie that Sony decided to spew to deceive casuals. I laughed myself to tears. Especially the way Sony fans were defending it.

So, both of you, LEARN TO READ!

At the bottom it says : Game OUTPUTS 2160P. Well, it's true and it's not a false advertising. There is a CLEAR difference between OUTPUT and NATIVE.

Same crap when Greenberg said this :

Last edited:
Sounds about right but I’ve always enjoyed the underdog of every generation. GameCube, Dreamcast, OG Xbox, PS3, WiiU, now Xbox 1X.

McDonald’s sells the most burgers 🍔 but does that make them best???

Gavon West

At the bottom it says : Game OUTPUTS 2160P. Well, it's true and it's not a false advertising. There is a CLEAR difference between OUTPUT and NATIVE.

"There is a CLEAR difference between OUTPUT and NATIVE."

No shit Sherlock! And that's why the advertisement is shady AF. Sony simply said "4K" in BIG, BOLD alphanumeric writing because they knew casuals wouldnt research the difference anyway.

Pro runs the game at 1920x2160 and then UPSCALES to 4K, which is Faux 4K = that's not native.

Xbox One X runs the game at 3840x2160 = NATIVE 4K and the difference is clear as daylight. The difference is 6x's that of the PS4 Pro

Sony KNEW casuals wouldn't question the BIG, BOLD, GOLD 4K symbol. Then they had the audacity to even put "Output at 2160" without adding "1960" so casuals can get the full picture of what they were actually getting.

So you see; its not that we DIDN'T READ. It's that the information was deceptive, shady and apparently shipped with only half the story. If I were Sony I'd call UPS and tell em what Brown REALLY did for me, breh. Lol

Last edited:

No shit Sherlock! And that's why the advertisement is shady AF. Sony simply said "4K" in BIG, BOLD alphanumeric writing because they knew casuals wouldnt research the difference anyway.

Pro runs the game at 1920x2160 and then UPSCALES to 4K, which is Faux 4K = that's not native.

Xbox One X runs the game at 3840x2160 = NATIVE 4K and the difference is clear as daylight. The difference is 6x's that of the PS4 Pro

Sony KNEW casuals wouldn't question the BIG, BOLD, GOLD 4K symbol. Then they had the audacity to even put "Output at 2160" without adding "1960" so casuals can get the full picture of what they were actually getting.

So you see; its not that we DIDN'T READ. It's that the information was deceptive, shady and apparently shipped with only half the story. If I were Sony I'd call UPS and tell em what Brown REALLY did for me, breh. Lol

It's not shady if someone read the whole advertising. Pro runs the game at 1920x2160 and then UPSCALES to 4K = game OUTPUTS 2160p ( like it's mentioned at the bottom )

Clear as tear if someone read it. Also, anybody can read the white words on blue background. And they aren't small.

Advertising is correct, so Sony can't be sued by any. Got it? Good? Try to sue Sony if you want. Even your own lawyer will mock you.

Last edited:

Gavon West

It's not shady if someone read the whole advertising. Pro runs the game at 1920x2160 and then UPSCALES to 4K = game OUTPUTS 2160p ( like it's mentioned at the bottom )

Clear as tear if someone read it. Also, anybody can read the white words on blue background. And they aren't small.

Advertising is correct, so Sony can't be sued by any. Got it? Good? Try to sue Sony if you want. Even your own lawyer will mock you.
LMAO! ....WTAF???? I didnt buy that shit!

ZywyPL

Banned
Ordinary Joes, casual players, the masses, whatever you guys wanna call them, don't give a crap about resolution, they still watch ordinary DVDs and simply enjoy the content, because that's what ultimately matters (which is a super healthy approach). Price comes second obviously, and then quality third. It applies to every single market, not just gaming. So it's either both Sony and MS will prepare a strong launch lineup and fight with the content for the customer, or will base and 3rd party multiplatform titles and fight with the price.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Looks like someone has a difficulties for simple understanding. If correct advertising bothers you, then you have some serious brain problems.

Not only that, i think all advertisement on tv, billboards makes him crazy.

This guy is really weird around here.

Lort

Banned
Its time to shut this down, its become the endlessly post blatent trolling bs with no ramifications show.

Sony puts up false advertisement and suddenly I have the brain problems?

tenor.gif

For those who can not read with understanding it's false advertising, yes. If you think it's a false advertising, well, then you should call the institution for public advertising and say what's your problem with this ad. If there is a single typo in this ad, trust me, it would be changed. Otherwise, it won't. Same crap with MS's false advertising with about X1S size comparison with launch X1. MS later had changed ad.

Last edited:

KingT731

If Sony abandoned Killzone for Horizon, that's a hint that it flopped.
Pretty sure Guerilla Games had been working on Horizon for about 7 years which included making an entirely new engine. Aren't devs allowed to make a different games?

TLZ

Banned

Shady, yea. At least the Pro upscales to 4k. The One S doesn't, yet MS still puts that massive 4k logo on the One S ads here in gaming sections. Now that's deceptive as f.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Shady, yea. At least the Pro upscales to 4k. The One S doesn't, yet MS still puts that massive 4k logo on the One S ads here in gaming sections. Now that's deceptive as f.
I thought you have to turn it on via the video output settings

/

Seems unlikely they will dominate in console sales, they did too much damage this gen. Though I would guess they will improve market share somewhat.

They have a chance in the streaming sector but who knows what will happen there.

Lort

Banned
Sonys Ps2 was a huge success, they then pretty much lost the next generation. Things change.

Microsoft has the largest install base now they have joined their PC / Xbox stores and have developers using the universal windows platform.

Microsoft has already “won”, sonys changing tact to offer software a service so they can sell on Windows and mobile.

Anyone pretending Sonys influence in the gaming market is more than Microsoft and Apple / Android simply cant count.

Armorian

Banned
You really think PC gamers are using MS Store? With all clients right now (Steam, Origin, UP, Epic...) I would be suprised if MSS has more than 3% of market share. And mainstream is not gaming on PC, consoles are there to "penetrate" the market. It could change with streaming but you still need streaming box (or phone or laptop etc.) and controller - gaming on touchscreen will be idiotic (unless games will be dumbed down).

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think this is simply a matter of you having some kind of mental block where you don't believe Nintendo gets to dictate a new generational shift.

It's 9th gen.

No I'm using public/external references like Wikipedia and NPD. Please demonstrate your attribution.

Last edited:
You really think PC gamers are using MS Store? With all clients right now (Steam, Origin, UP, Epic...) I would be suprised if MSS has more than 3% of market share. And mainstream is not gaming on PC, consoles are there to "penetrate" the market. It could change with streaming but you still need streaming box (or phone or laptop etc.) and controller - gaming on touchscreen will be idiotic (unless games will be dumbed down).

I only use MS Store for Game Pass/Play Anywhere games

No I'm using public/external references like Wikipedia and NPD. Please demonstrate your attribution.
What's wikipedia's authoritative source on what divides the generations?

How does NPD determine the generational split?

I'm actually just using the pattern given by those same sources you cite. The major difference is my model of generations jives perfectly with the last 30 years of gaming. Yours requires caveats and gymnastics, selectively applied to this generation but not to the Dreamcast or the DS or any other similar situation.

I'm still not seeing anything that necessitates the Switch being a part of the 8th gen. It makes perfect sense that it is 9th-gen, on the common-sense fact that it is the sequel to Nintendo's two 8th-gen platforms, the Wii U and the 3DS. If you have any concrete model or authoritative statement explaining why the Switch belongs to the "current" gen, I'm open to hearing it. But so far, you've only stated your arbitrary definition of generations. That's fine. I'll stick with the existing model.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What's wikipedia's authoritative source on what divides the generations?.

And where's your authoritative source that it's not?

How does NPD determine the generational split?

It does so by folding Switch in with tracking of its contemporaries in the current, eighth-gen. Once again, the only practical use of generational enumeration is in aggregating and tabulating sales amongst systems at a certain period in time.

This is why product category (handheld or home console) is important, and why the hybrid nature of Switch makes it a historical exception, its the first device that intersects both spheres of the market venn-diagram.

I'm still not seeing anything that necessitates the Switch being a part of the 8th gen.

And neither are you demonstrating any reason why it should be considered part of the 9th. And no, you cannot use the Dreamcast as a counter-example as the period by which it pre-dated PS2 is shorter than the span between Switch launch and the present date, when the actual launch timings for Sony and MS's next platforms is as yet unknown. The distance by which Dreamcast heralded the start of a new generation was a mere 3 months longer than 360 predating PS3 and Wii. It simply is not the outlier case that proves the rule.

We're going round in circles here.

And where's your authoritative source that it's not?
Wikipedia offers sources for all its assertions. That's what I'm asking for.

It does so by folding Switch in with tracking of its contemporaries in the current, eighth-gen. Once again, the only practical use of generational enumeration is in aggregating and tabulating sales amongst systems at a certain period in time.
Why wouldn't it track the Switch? The fact that NPD currently tracks Switch doesn't mean it's a current-gen system, no more than tracking PS2 sales long into the PS3/Wii/360 generation made the PS2 a 7th gen console. There were cross-gen NPD reports during the launch of the Wii U, PS4, and X1 as well.

This is why product category (handheld or home console) is important, and why the hybrid nature of Switch makes it a historical exception, its the first device that intersects both spheres of the market venn-diagram.
Agreed, and therefore it is the next generation of Nintendo hardware in not one but in two market spheres, handheld and console. This strengthens my point, not yours.

And neither are you demonstrating any reason why it should be considered part of the 9th.
Yes I am. The reason is that it is the hardware following Nintendo's 8th gen. This is the pattern that has been used for 30 years. I'm open to a different interpretation of the generational divides or other examples of where this has taken place. So far you've provided neither.

If any console should be lumped into the prior gen, it should be Wii U. It sold terribly, had a very short lifespan, and was the long-rumored "Wii HD" talked about as far back as 2008. It played the same games, supported the same peripherals, had the same PowerPC architecture, and even offered the entire Wii Home Menu in its OS. Following its announcement, journalists weren't certain if it was a new system or a peripheral (since Nintendo hadn't shown off the console itself during reveal) and Iwata had to tweet out a picture of the console and tablet together.

And no, you cannot use the Dreamcast as a counter-example as the period by which it pre-dated PS2 is shorter than the span between Switch launch and the present date,
This is arbitrary. There's no rule I'm aware of stating how long a console must predate another to be considered a part of the same generation. There is no pre-established threshhold that Dreamcast didn't cross yet Switch did.

Let's take a walk down memory lane:

Turbografix-16 launched 3 years prior and Genesis launched 2 years prior to the SNES yet all are considered a part of the 4th generation of consoles. The Atari 5200 launched only 1 year prior to the Famicom yet the former is considered 2nd gen while the latter is considered 3rd gen. The 5200's successor (7800) launched 3 years after the Famicom yet is still considered a part of the same generation. The N64 (5th gen) and the Dreamcast (6th gen) are only about 18 months apart.

It is evident that arbitrary dates do not define generations, but you keep insisting they do. Why? What other console generation follows the pattern you've described?

when the actual launch timings for Sony and MS's next platforms is as yet unknown.
Explain how this is relevant. Without any dates necessary, we already know that the PS5 and X2 (whatever form they take) will be 9th gen systems. They will be contemporaries to the Switch. If they had launched day-and-date with the Switch, would that have suddenly transformed the Switch into a 9th gen console? Conversely, if the PS4 and X1 had waited and launched 3 years after the Wii U, would that have made the Wii U a 7th gen console? I just want to understand your logic.

The distance by which Dreamcast heralded the start of a new generation was a mere 3 months longer than 360 predating PS3 and Wii. It simply is not the outlier case that proves the rule.
Yes, and the 360 came out only 4 years after the Xbox. Perhaps the 360 was actually a 6th generation console all along!

What about the GBA launching only 3 years prior to the DS? Do you lump those together as well?

We are going in circles, because the simple things I've asked for aren't being provided. The console cycle is pretty well established at this point. If you believe it should be adjusted or re-aligned, all the power to you! But I'm still waiting for any evidence or impetus for this to be done.

mad597

Banned

That single tweet became a meme that was posted in hundreds of Xbox threads, thrown in xbox fans face for YEARS all over the internet, And it was a single tweet, but an official lying commercial from Sony is brushed aside.

You proved my point completely, when Sony lies Sony fans make excuses for them pulls out whataboutism and simply lets them slide every time. Your blind fandom and unhealthy attachment to Sony is something you and many others here need legit therapy for.

Armorian

Banned
It's not as simple as Xbox 360 upscaling, RDR2 native resolution is 1920x2160 - after that there is some form of CR to make it 4K and I think HUD is native 4K too. I don't think Sony ever claimed that Pro games will be 4K NATIVE - just like majority of X1X games are in ~1800p area.

That single tweet became a meme that was posted in hundreds of Xbox threads, thrown in xbox fans face for YEARS all over the internet, And it was a single tweet, but an official lying commercial from Sony is brushed aside.

You proved my point completely, when Sony lies Sony fans make excuses for them pulls out whataboutism and simply lets them slide every time. Your blind fandom and unhealthy attachment to Sony is something you and many others here need legit therapy for.

Proved what? I need a therapy for something what isn't wrong?
In this case with RDR 2, they didn't. Ad is correct. Like i said : For those who can not read with understanding it's false advertising, yes.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
All of this Xbox-talk made me go back and watch their unveiling of Xbox One. In hindsight, it´s hilarious to watch both the unveiling of the box at the first screening and later at E3 2013. One can tell they had a very big confidence, coming fresh off the success of the 360, and Don Mattrick doesn´t take any prisoners when it comes to his vocabulary of big words and PR-hype. What a fucking disaster it turned out to be. I wonder if it has permanently damaged the brand? My guess is that Microsoft has this presentation on display for everyone on Team Xbox as a friendly reminder of how to not do a console reveal. And judging by their E3-shows after that they quickly learned the message from fans and all they did was talk games.

The most interesting thing will be the name. That will lay the groundwork for the entire console so it has to be perfect. It cannot become a joke again like "Xbone" because it draws negative word of mouth. Its no question that they will come out swinging right out of the gate with the most powerful hardware available. It seems to tie in with their marketing, "games play best on xbox" and so forth so I´m not thinking anything will change there. And that´s pretty smart because it sorta carries over from the Xbox One X so a smooth transition there to next gen seems like a clever move.

Microsoft have a tough road to travel, no doubt about it, but they seem to be hell bent on recovery and to give Sony a run for their money. It´s all about the presentation and reveal and the messaging. If they fuck that up, if ANY fuck that up, then it´s gonna be an uphill battle. We have seen how important those first reveals are. It needs to be crystal clear from the get go. I also wonder how Microsofts attempts to go big in Europe will play out. Or are they content with the US market? In Japan they are dead on arrival but the rest of the world? They need to show the big guns this time around.

All in all, I hope it turns out to be an exciting battle between Sony and MS, and not over and done in the first year as it was now.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good to see MS keep on chugging along. Competition is good. And by the looks of it, MS isn't going anywhere anytime soon. In fact with all the rumoured consoles coming out, acquired studios and more and more services, they are expanding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom