• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed next year

Calibos

I've been reading through the pages and I agree, it's really sad, it's like you're forced to take one side. If you're a complete Sony fanboy, you're left alone, but be somewhat optimistic about Xbox and you get attacked. I thought this place would change with the mass exodus, but I guess I was wrong.

I feel like the reset made things a little better. Even though some of it was heated, there was some decent conversations in here.

We just need the rational people to talk more and the crazy fanboys to settle down a bit...and then the absolute, one line shitposters to be chopped off.

I think this leak is pretty "compelling"...just hope it's true!

Artistic

Lionhead is closed down and people ask for a Fable reboot. If that doesn't serve as an example of what's been off with the first party strategy then I don't know what does.
It doesn't when I'm pretty sure people complained about Fable Legends being "more of the same" like Halo/Gears/Forza.

Alebrije

Nier Automata is not an exclusive at all, just because people bring it up all the time doesn't make it an exclusive... Being able to play it exclusively on one platform is what makes it an exclusive...

Although one point of interest in bringing it up is the fact that the PS4 version is better due to performance issues in the PC version. But still, not an exclusive...

It's a console exclusive , same as Nioh. and that is still important since PC is still seen for console users as a different market. So in the raw Nier and Nioh are Ps4 exclusives when compared to XboneX/S. because PS4 does not competes against PC but Xbone/Swich.

I get your point bit from a market perspective those games are exclusives , and being honest those are the kind of games that will add value to Xbox library, including something like Bloodborne.

BANGS

Banned
We can agree they are important to have on a console, but we disagree that they are in any shape or form exclusives. The term "console exclusive" alone is cringe. Consoles DO indeed compete with PC, even if the markets are very different. If I didn't own a PC, I would have bought an XBOX already. Sounds like competition to me...

Calibos

Lionhead is closed down and people ask for a Fable reboot. If that doesn't serve as an example of what's been off with the first party strategy then I don't know what does.

Huh? Lionhead was closed due to production financials and it was very sad...However, the IP is still owned by MS and people want a new Fable...what is the issue again?

We can agree they are important to have on a console, but we disagree that they are in any shape or form exclusives. The term "console exclusive" alone is cringe. Consoles DO indeed compete with PC, even if the markets are very different. If I didn't own a PC, I would have bought an XBOX already. Sounds like competition to me...

Example:

You own an Xbox, and I own a PS4.

You can't play Uncharted on your Xbox because it isn't available on that system.

I can't play Gears of War on my PS4 because it isn't available on that system.

We have to buy another piece of hardware to be able to play these games because they are "excluded" from the systems we own.

We are still buying another system/PC because of exclusivity..even if it's limited. This is where "console exclusive" comes from.

Console and PC may compete, but they are vastly different from the tech level all the way up to their ecosystems.

BANGS

Banned
I'm having trouble following any of that logic, but I will say that exact example is why I own a PS4 and PC, and not an XBOX... All of the supposed "xbox console exclusives" are irrelevant...

Journey

Banned
I'm having trouble following any of that logic, but I will say that exact example is why I own a PS4 and PC, and not an XBOX... All of the supposed "xbox console exclusives" are irrelevant...

It's quite simple really, you own a gaming PC, so that doesn't apply to you obviously, but not everyone games on the PC or has a PC capable of what Xbox One X or PS4 Pro can achieve, say for example my brother has a Lenovo PC that he bought off the shelf, it's got a 6th gen Intel Core i5 with 8GB or ram, pretty decent, but the GPU is garbage. I was trying to see what GPU he can buy, but the PSU is crap, 180w I think, definitely cannot fit any decent GPU and he's a console kind of guy, currently owns a PS4 and is considering getting Scorpio because he's buying a 4K display soon.

Now go ahead and apply any logic you want, his best bet is to get a Scorpio, not an entirely new PC which he keeps in his office and prefers not to game there.

Norse

I didn't read the Engadget article but the title should read "exclusives" and not games. Since 99.9% of 3rd party games are on both PS4 and xbone, there's a shit ton of compelling games on xbone.

As for the fanboy wars, we all need to have thicker skin. We all have our favorites, and many different reasons why we chose our particular console. No need to crap all over another's choice.

And no need to crap all over a fanboys post on how great they think their choice is. As long as it's not taking shots at the other consoles, let them enjoy their joy.

Oh, my 1X is frickn amazing. 😀

FightTest

After having been PC only for like 15 years (aside from a PS2 for Guitar Hero and a 360 for Rock band and SFIV) I bought a couple consoles the past few months.

I got a Switch first after buying into the Zelda hype train, it was pretty good. I got Mario, it was boring. I got Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it was decent but left me wanting to play good RPGs while I wait for Fire Emblem.

I bought a PS4. The backlog of RPGs and the neat-looking exclusives (Horizon, TLoU, Bloodborne, Nier due to bad Steam port reviews, Death Stranding someday) won over the XBox's lineup.

When I was making the decision the XBox felt like a machine for someone who didn't have a decent gaming PC. A lot of shooters and cross platform stuff. The problem (as I was reminded trying to play Horizon) is that I hate playing shooters on a controller.

I was tempted to buy one anyway just to complete the trifecta, but I couldn't come up with a valid reason to. I liked the original Forza (last racing game I played), but not that much. I still think the PC is the king of platforms, so that means any console has to win on not only exclusive titles, but unique titles. XBox just fell short for me there.

BANGS

Banned
It's quite simple really, you own a gaming PC, so that doesn't apply to you obviously, but not everyone games on the PC or has a PC capable of what Xbox One X or PS4 Pro can achieve, say for example my brother has a Lenovo PC that he bought off the shelf, it's got a 6th gen Intel Core i5 with 8GB or ram, pretty decent, but the GPU is garbage. I was trying to see what GPU he can buy, but the PSU is crap, 180w I think, definitely cannot fit any decent GPU and he's a console kind of guy, currently owns a PS4 and is considering getting Scorpio because he's buying a 4K display soon.

Now go ahead and apply any logic you want, his best bet is to get a Scorpio, not an entirely new PC which he keeps in his office and prefers not to game there.

I mean whatever he wants is up to him. This is way off the point I was making that a "console exclusive" is not actually an exclusive...

petrus91

I mean whatever he wants is up to him. This is way off the point I was making that a "console exclusive" is not actually an exclusive...
I agree while we have to admit that times have changed. Those 3rd party exclusive games are no longer confined to console since their ports over PC are just straight forward these days.
I think MS is going a different route and Spencer himself just made it clear, plain and simple.
The fact that indeed he doesn’t care wheter you’re playing MS games over different platforms is just what they’re up to: making revenue, just like everybody.
You could bet that if Sony had an operating system like Windows, they would try in any way to have a big solid ecosystem like MS is trying to do.
I agree, again, that one has got a decent PC, Xbox is just not useful because it does the very same thing.
Now, if you’re like 98% of the console crowd you just don’t want to deal with PC gaming because it’s just a more difficult experience, even thou it has come a loooong way to user friendly-ness.
I absolutely think that MS needs to heavily invest in taking those 3rd party games like Nier, Persona and so on to Xbox, that’s where is the difference in my eyes.
Taking back some great IPs like Fable, Conker, Perfect Dark would be a very welcome news.

Artistic

It's an exclusive, or at least a subcategory of an exclusive.

Again, PC/Console gaming are two entirely different gaming markets. Why people choose or prefer PC gaming I don't know, but it's a lot more accessible to just purchase a PS4 Slim or Xbox One S for $200 since the amount of households that have a HDTV or TV in general is far greater than those who have a PC capable of producing the same experience that a console would.

Saying I don't have an incentive to purchase said console because I can just play it on PC pretty much tells me: You're not who MS, Sony, or Nintendo is targeting or you never had much of a reason to purchase one to begin with. As well, say a game like Uncharted, the Last of Us, or God of War were to release on PC, you would honestly complain that Sony now doesn't have anything to offer or you would be glad to have more money in your pocket to prevent another hardware purchase?

Journey

Banned

Well he can't really get it on his PS4 and can't play it on his PC, so there is still value for MS in having the game off the PS4.

The point we're trying to make is that being on one console and not the other serves as a selling point for Xbox. You're implying that it has no value and that's simply not the case.

Calibos

I totally get your point, and I really wasn't trying to stir the pot again. Console exclusive is a real thing for a whole bunch of people. If you own a PC and a PS4, that's awesome, more power to you and whether MS cares that you have an Xbox or not is up for debate. For Johnny console guys though, console exclusives matter and the term "exclusive" outside the PC owner world is all relative to which console has a game that the other console doesn't.

It has been this way forever and only recently has the term "exclusive" been applied with the PC in mind.

petrus91

I totally get your point, and I really wasn't trying to stir the pot again. Console exclusive is a real thing for a whole bunch of people. If you own a PC and a PS4, that's awesome, more power to you and whether MS cares that you have an Xbox or not is up for debate. For Johnny console guys though, console exclusives matter and the term "exclusive" outside the PC owner world is all relative to which console has a game that the other console doesn't.

It has been this way forever and only recently has the term "exclusive" been applied with the PC in mind.

Big, big truth.

BANGS

Banned
The point we're trying to make is that being on one console and not the other serves as a selling point for Xbox. You're implying that it has no value and that's simply not the case.

I've never implied such a thing. "Console exclusive" does indeed have some value to the console manufacturer it's on, but it's not an exclusive. Exclusive means exclusive, not kind of exclusive, not a little bit exclusive, actually exclusive lol...

shpankey

not an idiot
I've never implied such a thing. "Console exclusive" does indeed have some value to the console manufacturer it's on, but it's not an exclusive. Exclusive means exclusive, not kind of exclusive, not a little bit exclusive, actually exclusive lol...

To be fair, this is just semantics. It's a qualifying word to the word exclusive. They are simply saying on "consoles" it's exclusive. Meaning, for the many millions of gamers who don't game on the PC or even want to, it has value in purchasing decisions. Of course it's not outright exclusive, hence the qualifier.

BANGS

Banned
To be fair, this is just semantics. It's a qualifying word to the word exclusive. They are simply saying on "consoles" it's exclusive. Meaning, for the many millions of gamers who don't game on the PC or even want to, it has value in purchasing decisions. Of course it's not outright exclusive, hence the qualifier.

Exactly. I only bring it up because when us PC gamers say "xbox has few exclusives" as a valid constructive criticism, the xbox fanboys get butthurt and start bringing up cuphead and shit like it's actually an exclusive... They should know the difference when we're talking about the industry at large not just the console space.

There seems to be this big lie in our community that PC gaming has nothing to do with console gaming and doesn't compete in the same market. While the market is very different and special, it still competes with consoles. Again, I can't be the only one who owns a PC, PS4, and Switch but turns my nose up at xbox because it has no exclusives...

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
My brother and several friends game exclusively on Xbox. So I have a PC and an Xbox One X or else I wouldn’t be able to play with them, simple as that. But if every game was Play Anywhere then I could sell my Xbox, although I’d still be buying everything from the Microsoft store so it’s still a win for them anyway!

For me personally, If is stop buying Xbox in favour of PC exclusively I still wouldn’t be buying a PS4. Not enough time to play everything, not enough compelling exclusives (remove the Sony 1st party games and a lot of the other compelling console exclusive is still on PC anyway), and fact is most of my gaming time is devoted to multiplayer games like PUBG, Ark, Overwatch, Forza, Fortnight, etc.

The kind of scenario we have people talk about here is mostly seen on hardcore gaming forums. Most people don’t own several systems and honestly don’t care about all of this stuff. From what I have seen, the more disposable income people are usually the older people and because of work and family they don’t have time to play (like myself). So what they usually end up doing is buying only 1 system; either a console because they like something simple, or a PC because they only want the best. And I see it everywhere, I personally don’t know anyone anymore (now that I and all of my friends are in their 30s) that owns more than 1 system (now majority is on PC), and it’s not because of a lack of disposable income, it’s because no one has time for that.

Exclusives doesn’t matter for those people. The only time i see it brought up is when list wars happen online, because once you get off your computer and go to the real world where normal customers buy their system at Walmart or bestbuy, nobody really cares. They’ll buy the cheapest and most powerful one they’ve heard of, finish the generation, and do the same thing next gen basically.

Raziel

My brother and several friends game exclusively on Xbox. So I have a PC and an Xbox One X or else I wouldn’t be able to play with them, simple as that. But if every game was Play Anywhere then I could sell my Xbox, although I’d still be buying everything from the Microsoft store so it’s still a win for them anyway!

For me personally, If is stop buying Xbox in favour of PC exclusively I still wouldn’t be buying a PS4. Not enough time to play everything, not enough compelling exclusives (remove the Sony 1st party games and a lot of the other compelling console exclusive is still on PC anyway), and fact is most of my gaming time is devoted to multiplayer games like PUBG, Ark, Overwatch, Forza, Fortnight, etc.

The kind of scenario we have people talk about here is mostly seen on hardcore gaming forums. Most people don’t own several systems and honestly don’t care about all of this stuff. From what I have seen, the more disposable income people are usually the older people and because of work and family they don’t have time to play (like myself). So what they usually end up doing is buying only 1 system; either a console because they like something simple, or a PC because they only want the best. And I see it everywhere, I personally don’t know anyone anymore (now that I and all of my friends are in their 30s) that owns more than 1 system (now majority is on PC), and it’s not because of a lack of disposable income, it’s because no one has time for that.

Exclusives doesn’t matter for those people. The only time i see it brought up is when list wars happen online, because once you get off your computer and go to the real world where normal customers buy their system at Walmart or bestbuy, nobody really cares. They’ll buy the cheapest and most powerful one they’ve heard of, finish the generation, and do the same thing next gen basically.

Through 8 console generations, there’s been maybe one or two consoles that were really successful without a healthy number of strong exclusives, so I’m not buying what you’re selling in that last paragraph.

In the real world, people look for balance between exclusives, third party, and price. Whichever console has the best balance of all three is coming out on top, and that will be the same next gen basically.

Right now, Xbox One (with the One X price) is missing the mark on at least two of the three.

BANGS

Banned
Through 8 console generations, there’s been maybe one or two consoles that were really successful without a healthy number of strong exclusives, so I’m not buying what you’re selling in that last paragraph.

Seriously, this. People specifically bought a Genesis for Sonic, N64 for Goldeneye, PS4 for Bloodborne, etc. Happens more often then people seem to realize...

kungfuian

Guess this is as good a place as any, but I'm just done with GAF. I looked through the threads and comments on the front page today and realized just how bad it's gotten. There has always been poorly argued fanboy opinion posts and drive-by stuff but never to this level and the threads were always intermixed with good well reasoned dialog and insightful content. Now I feel like I'm reading the comments section of N4G or something.

More complaining, esetera, esetera...

Best of gaming to you all :)

Night.Ninja

Banned
Guess this is as good a place as any, but I'm just done with GAF. I looked through the threads and comments on the front page today and realized just how bad it's gotten. There has always been poorly argued fanboy opinion posts and drive-by stuff but never to this level and the threads were always intermixed with good well reasoned dialog and insightful content. Now I feel like I'm reading the comments section of N4G or something.

More complaining, esetera, esetera...

Best of gaming to you all :)

its always been like this not too sure what your surprised about

Artistic

Don't see how a PUBG in Halo would work. Breakout was a great addition and hopefully it stays long-term.

Would like to see Invasion brought back probably expand BTB to 64 players.

In the real world, people look for balance between exclusives, third party, and price. Whichever console has the best balance of all three is coming out on top, and that will be the same next gen basically.

Right now, Xbox One (with the One X price) is missing the mark on at least two of the three.

It's missing exclusives, so that's one area. The Xbox One S however is very price competitive and third party is there if you ignore Japan titles. Where the Xbox One lacks is performance to price ratio. Another compelling argument made towards consoles is unique features. This is what made the Wii successful and why I think the Switch is very successful. Marketing and the snowball effect also have to be taken into consideration.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Through 8 console generations, theres been maybe one or two consoles that were really successful without a healthy number of strong exclusives, so Im not buying what youre selling in that last paragraph.

Xbox has the price on the S and third party support. It’s only missing maybe a few exclusives so it doesn’t miss the mark on 2 out of 3 like you say.

Also, some people buy Xbox for Gears or Halo or Forza just like they do for uncharted or god of war, that doesn’t change anything. The amount of overlap for people who say they won’t buy Xbox because they can play the same games on PC is so small it’s not even worth mentioning. It’s not like the windows store games have been selling so well, so most of the games are still sold on Xbox One S or X.

Also, PC gamers are usually exclusively that, they will rarely buy a console, or will usually go for the Nintendo console because it is truely unique in terms of games compared to the competition and has more party games as well.

Everyone I know play video games, and all of the ones that own a gaming PC don’t own consoles except for maybe 3 or 4 people, and they don’t care about the exclusives enough to buy a console as there is plenty of content on PC to keep you busy without ever needing a console.

People who play on 2 or 3 systems aren’t all that common. And people usually will do so when the console prices Get really low.

I’ve heard the “i don’t need an Xbox because I can play those games on pc” argument several times, yet I’ve never seen it in the real world, only on gaming forums, and usually in threads like these where fanboys bring it up. So I’m sorry, but I don’t buy it!

Raziel

It's missing exclusives, so that's one area. The Xbox One S however is very price competitive and third party is there if you ignore Japan titles.

Xbox has the price on the S and third party support. It’s only missing maybe a few exclusives so it doesn’t miss the mark on 2 out of 3 like you say.

Third party is not really a great strength for the S model. It's missing some Japanese titles as mentioned, and carries the distinction of running them the poorest between all platforms on the market.

Last edited:

Filben

It's really a shame MS has so few appealing exclusives, for I find it the much better console per se. Awesome backwards compatibility, it is way quiter than the standard PS4 and let alone PS4 Pro, the case doesn't crackle under changing temperatures and the Xbox (X) is more powerful. But considering I own a high-end gaming PC, the PS4 (Pro) was the only viable choice for me.

Just another variant on the "Xbox has no gamezzz!!!" theme. Might not have as many exclusives, but still has plenty of good ones and along with third party, XBL, system features, etc. they are fine. Will the XB1 catch PS4 in sales numbers? No, well maybe there's a .05% chance, but as a primary Xbox gamer, I could care less.

glorious rommie

Neo Member

1050ti

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I mean, won't it?

They have a pretty good slate for next year and if contracts have been put in place from 2017 for more new games then I don't see why the problem isn't being remedied. Or the perceived problem.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Exactly. I only bring it up because when us PC gamers say "xbox has few exclusives" as a valid constructive criticism, the xbox fanboys get butthurt and start bringing up cuphead and shit like it's actually an exclusive... They should know the difference when we're talking about the industry at large not just the console space.

There seems to be this big lie in our community that PC gaming has nothing to do with console gaming and doesn't compete in the same market. While the market is very different and special, it still competes with consoles. Again, I can't be the only one who owns a PC, PS4, and Switch but turns my nose up at xbox because it has no exclusives...

I think it's odd that you're automatically labeled a fanboy whenever someone says anything about the Xbox brand. I believe we're going to find out when the numbers roll out and we see how Microsoft's biggest games performs when it comes to sales and reviews.

Top Bottom