• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Engadget: Xbox's lack of compelling games won't be fixed next year

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ummm... the article you quoted? Don't make me post the Birtney gif again.

This fall, the Xbox's big exclusives were racing sim Forza Motorsport 7, which, while extremely pretty, was more of the same, and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds. The latter has 25 million players on PC, and Microsoft is bragging it racked up over 1 million players in its first 48 hours on Xbox One. The lovably clunky work in progress isn't the type of thing that's going to hit beyond Microsoft's shooter-centric base, however. At the moment it also isn't the type of game you boot up to show off your fancy new console and TV. The same goes for backwards compatibility with 15-year-old games from the original Xbox.

Did he say Xbox big exclusives were Forza 7 and PUBG?

I think PUBG will generate some console sales, but it still remains to be seen.

Did he say MS released Forza 7 and PUBG this fall but you told me he didn't.

How does Xbox get back their rep as the place to play like last gen then? Is it from compelling games that create buzz around the system? or, do they just continue to grind it out like they are and hope the launch of the next system is lightning in a bottle? Or, maybe they're just happy where they are sales wise but I doubt that after losing half their market from the 360.

I'm genuinely curious what MS can do to get the popular mind share back if its not games. To me, that part will have to come down to buzz around particular games, but I could be wrong, I just don't know what else can cause a market shift. It shouldn't be about what Sony is doing and Microsoft isnt, it should be about what can Microsoft do to not be looked at as the less popular experience by the general public like it is now. That's not a fanboy statement, that's me being a realist about the situation right in front of us.

badboyyy

Oh man, the article is about what Xbox can offer in 2018 and people talking whose machine have better exclusives...in the past

YoshiMax

How does Xbox get back their rep as the place to play like last gen then?

It already is the better place to play. More cross-platform play, better party system, three generations on one box, the media facilities like KODI, emulators via the likes of nesbox on Edge browser, better overall ecosystem with much better security, the game of the moment that is PUBG. This thread exists because people don’t want to admit it’s a much better place to play. The whole “it has no exclusives because play anywhere” narrative is embarrassing. It dominates most genres for best game.

Alebrije

Every generation if you fuck the lauch hardly will recover , examples :

Wii : Wiiu
PS2 : PS3
360: Xbone

The reasons were different and of those examples as far as I remember Sony managed to save PS3 by end of generation thanks to exclusive games. It's the same case now with MS, they need new IPs not just to end on a better position this gen but have a better competitive approach next gen. Yep they have some exclusives but being honest the new IPs were not as good as Sony ones. The old IPs now compete on a market plagued with similar games so they are not pushing enough console sales.

Clearly MS is preparing for next gen, from a hardware standpoint they did a great job with S and X , X will be the base for next MS console , they found an identity with X, the form factor , the lack of power brick, the clean front. Now they just need to develop 2-3 new great IPs to be the flag ones for end of this generation and beginning of next.

Malcolm9

It already is the better place to play. More cross-platform play, better party system, three generations on one box, the media facilities like KODI, emulators via the likes of nesbox on Edge browser, better overall ecosystem with much better security, the game of the moment that is PUBG. This thread exists because people don’t want to admit it’s a much better place to play. The whole “it has no exclusives because play anywhere” narrative is embarrassing. It dominates most genres for best game.

Someone's been on the MS Kool Aid tonight.

The better place to play is your opinion, there are more factors involved than simply stating that.

I do think MS have made some great moves after a poor start to this gen, but being down 2:1 in sales isn't much to celebrate. If they can get some good momentum going into the next gen that will help, but they still need to offer more enticing exclusive titles along side the multi plats.

Im not after defensive opinions about which system is better, or even which exclusive lineup is "better" as of this time. Im asking a legit question of how can this company and their console take back the market they once had, let alone potentially pull ahead of the competition as I'm sure they would like. Its not you they need to appeal to, its the people that don't own an Xbox. Its a fair question to ask how a company can reverse the 50% market contraction they've experienced compared to last gen. My opinion is that it will take exclusive games that cause a positive mind share buzz among the general public (Like Halo used to do), I sense that many don't feel that way so I'm asking what they think can be done otherwise. Or do you think Microsoft is just happy where they are?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It already is the better place to play. More cross-platform play, better party system, three generations on one box, the media facilities like KODI, emulators via the likes of nesbox on Edge browser, better overall ecosystem with much better security, the game of the moment that is PUBG. This thread exists because people don't want to admit it's a much better place to play. The whole ”it has no exclusives because play anywhere" narrative is embarrassing. It dominates most genres for best game.

That's your personal opinion. If it was the best for me, then I would've played my Xbox One a lot more this generation.

Sony has dominated this generation and it's almost doubled the mount of sales of Xbox One. Based on that fact alone, people are saying MS needs to do something to be more competitive in the gaming market and it starts with games.

There are many people across the web and whenever someone mentions a flaw of the Xbox One console, it's always about first party and third party exclusives. Rand al Thor is an Xbox fan who makes youtube video sand he also says Microsoft needs to do more with their first party lineup (To make this perfectly clear, his opinion on why consoles sales are different, but he still think they need to do more in this aspect).

People said Sony made a mistake by not putting a 4K Blu-Ray player in the PlayStation 4 Slim and Playstation 4 Pro after Xbox on September and October NPDs. As we look back on it now, it's not a big concern because Sony is still dominating world wide. Yes, The PlayStation is not the perfect console and there's many areas they could improve on, but they're still the leader this generation, which means their concerns are as big as Microsoft.

Alebrije

This has been since original Xbox but not a factor to move consoles or win a generation. PSnetwork has evolved to a level it's competitive against MS ecosystem. Xbone has exclusives but not as good as Bloodborne, Nioh, TLOU, Horizont, even an old IP like God of War looks promising.

There is not a single game on MS future that intrigues like Dead Strading , maybe Ori but we know little about it.

MS needs new games.

I'm surprised people are getting so defensive about game lineups. Isn't it a good thing to let Microsoft know that we want more games? It's pretty clear that there has been a huge drop in exclusives compared to the Xbox 360.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I'm surprised people are getting so defensive about game lineups. Isn't it a good thing to let Microsoft know that we want more games? It's pretty clear that there has been a huge drop in exclusives compared to the Xbox 360.

Its not that people think xbox's line up does not need some improvement, its people saying that MS most likely 2018 line up is bad or uncompelling which people dont like.

Its like going into a df thread and saying the pros graphics are crap compared to the X.

Ms 2018 line up is good but needs improvement.

Also sonys line up aint perfect, especially if you like multiplayer focused games!

thelastword

Banned
Regardless of how you feel about the results, you are being hypocritical. According to your past posts on this subject, QB would be 1080p due to the tech behind the game. But yet you refer to QB as "720p". If that is the opinion you are sticking with, it now negates all your past posts on the subject, as it seems you now see these kinds of techniques as being half the resolution it outputs from the frame buffer.
QB is not rendering at FullHD on XBOX-ONE, neither is Rainbow siege on PS4, neither is Killzone Shadowfall MP, they're all different techniques which also manifests different results just the same. If you follow what I had to say on all these titles you would know that I even stated that I'd rather Shadowfall MP render in 900p on PS4 upscaled, as opposed to the reprojection blurfest they had in MP with visble vertical lines, ghosting and image noise, and still it did not hold a locked 60fps. I've said my piece on the blurfest that was Siege and QB is one of the softest games on XBOX-ONE, even in a stable of 900p titles.

None of these methods are CB, they don't have the pixel accuracy, not even close.. I even have my doubts about Temporal Injection, but I'm waiting on a final Spiderman release to ascertain more information on my findings and suspicions thus far. For the record, I don't think T.I is that great in Ratchet and Clank, maybe it was the implementation of it on PRO, I don't think Insomniac is that great when it comes to image quality the last few years, and yes, Ratchet does not have the clean IQ I was expecting after putting it through it's paces on PRO....I'm not saying it's not an awesome looking game, but there are a few IQ deficiences.....which I found a bit jarring.

Now I put F1 through it paces...and that game is spick, in the foreground and backgrounds, great IQ, great CB implementation.....Infinite Warfare, just the same, Horizon is the trend setter of course. You may believe what you want, it's your prerogative, but nothing compares to CB in terms of application, accuracy and most importantly results. If they were similar, QB, Siege etc would look just as good or sharp.

kungfuian

How does Xbox get back their rep as the place to play like last gen then? Is it from compelling games that create buzz around the system? or, do they just continue to grind it out like they are and hope the launch of the next system is lightning in a bottle? Or, maybe they're just happy where they are sales wise but I doubt that after losing half their market from the 360.

I'm genuinely curious what MS can do to get the popular mind share back if its not games. To me, that part will have to come down to buzz around particular games, but I could be wrong, I just don't know what else can cause a market shift. It shouldn't be about what Sony is doing and Microsoft isnt, it should be about what can Microsoft do to not be looked at as the less popular experience by the general public like it is now. That's not a fanboy statement, that's me being a realist about the situation right in front of us.

I feel like they need to change their priorities from a platform holder perspective. It's not just about total number of exclusives (although more would help). It just seems they are very interested in making games as a service as their only push for all software. Of course this is driven from a desire for their software platform to be the most profitable it can be, which isn't bad per say, but it might be a bit short sighted.

When you look at the big picture the way they are approaching software and their platform is very different than what Sony is doing. Sony obviously want to have their first party software profitable, but to a much lesser extent in that it isn't the only focus. Instead Sony treat their first party development as a method for strengthening/pushing their platform/brand. Basically they subsidize/invest in the development of these games as a way to push their platform (very similar to netflix's exclusive content).

The end result of Sony's approach is a wide and very deep portfolio of games that appeal to a diverse demographic. Microsoft's focus on profitability, on the other hand, really only allows for a much more narrow and smaller number of first party games. High profit games as service can't be shoe horned into every genre (single player says hello!) so Microsoft are left with some pretty big gaps in their line up both from a content and volume perspective.

I would also add that the service model of gaming is very hit driven and fickle. Microsoft can't just manufacture hits. These types of games just seem to naturally gain traction in the market.

Anyways to answer your question, I think the proof is in the pudding. Sony has sold twice the number of hardware this gen which is proof Sony's model resonates better with gamers (twice as many give or take). If Microsoft wants to earn back some of these customers I think they will need to adjust their business model to be a bit more like Sony's.

Sony- Give a lot get a lot
Microsoft- give less and get less back

Ravi_elite

Banned
speaking from personal point of view...

i do not own an xbox one X

however my original Xbox one is just a decent media player interface... with tons of shitty games.. and a mad house of loot box games that make me hate gaming..

the 360 was the golden age of xbox live... great netcode, great DLC packages, great way to make friends / enemies on your favorite games....

no xbox one x exclusives yet...no original Saints Row backwards compatabile....no reason for me to buy one....thanks...but no thanks!

Lort

Banned
Pubg, Cuphead forza horizon DLC.. best versions of Wolf, SwBF2 AC Origins shadow of war 2, GOW4 all in glorious 4k HDR!

Kodi, Torrents, Airplay Hdmi in, Dolby ATMOS, voice chat with pc android and ios

Xbox is owning it! Love it!

This has been since original Xbox but not a factor to move consoles or win a generation. PSnetwork has evolved to a level it's competitive against MS ecosystem. Xbone has exclusives but not as good as Bloodborne, Nioh, TLOU, Horizont, even an old IP like God of War looks promising.

There is not a single game on MS future that intrigues like Dead Strading , maybe Ori but we know little about it.

MS needs new games.

Yes they need new games and take more risks besides Sea of Thieves but your assessment of the PS3 turnaround is a lot more than just getting exclusives out the door. Sony dropped the price dramatically and got development tools out there and third party started to understand the Cell. Nothing like paying $600 for a game console where the games play worse (which also hampered the Xbox One). Sony also didn't have the uphill battle of trying to distance itself from always online like the Xbox One. Last and certainly not least is Sony has worldwide brand power, the Xbox has always had a tougher time outside of North America and a few places like the UK.

Microsoft can do better and should do better. It's output of 1st party games is getting to embarrassment levels.

Malcolm9

Pubg, Cuphead forza horizon DLC.. best versions of Wolf, SwBF2 AC Origins shadow of war 2, GOW4 all in glorious 4k HDR!

Kodi, Torrents, Airplay Hdmi in, Dolby ATMOS, voice chat with pc android and ios

You are completely missing the point....less of the console warrior shit as well please.

rokkerkory

however my original Xbox one is just a decent media player interface... with tons of shitty games.. and a mad house of loot box games that make me hate gaming..

the 360 was the golden age of xbox live... great netcode, great DLC packages, great way to make friends / enemies on your favorite games....

no xbox one x exclusives yet...no original Saints Row backwards compatabile....no reason for me to buy one....thanks...but no thanks!

when was there supposed to be any?

Raziel

This account is really suspect.

This thread is about xboxs awesome ability to play 360 and original xbox games.

Great technology!!

It fits in spaces a playstation, xbox or gaming pc wont being its so small.

Its also super quiet unlike playstation or gaming pc.

Once u go Elite you never go back.

Need this game? EA Access is your friend :)

Df really is glowing about the Xbox one X, i didnt think they would upscale 360 games or meet the general 4k performance in such a quiet small box either.

Out with the 360 and original xbox one .. bring me my X!

And the 2 posts in this thread:

Xbox is doing just fine and getting better every day,

EA Access, MS gamepass, better games for gold, huge library of awesome 360 games, cross play with PC, the great MS games, 4k blue ray, the best apps ie torrex bittorent and kodi airplay and tv input, and the best versions of the 95% of games that are multiplatform.

Keep on posting how u prefer sony we dont care .. xbox is the best in every area except a couple of exlusive games which is why every post has to talk about that or numbers sold. The xbox is the better box in every way.

In all seriousness, a mod should really check this one out.

Alebrije

Yes they need new games and take more risks besides Sea of Thieves but your assessment of the PS3 turnaround is a lot more than just getting exclusives out the door. Sony dropped the price dramatically and got development tools out there and third party started to understand the Cell. Nothing like paying $600 for a game console where the games play worse (which also hampered the Xbox One). Sony also didn't have the uphill battle of trying to distance itself from always online like the Xbox One. Last and certainly not least is Sony has worldwide brand power, the Xbox has always had a tougher time outside of North America and a few places like the UK.

Microsoft can do better and should do better. It's output of 1st party games is getting to embarrassment levels.

Yep price fix helped , the slim models too. New games were developed and gave the mass market a lot of choice , their indi approach helped a lot. Sony did not had a Halo monster sales but a lot of small franchises that summed give them a lot of sales.

Alebrije

Lort : t r o L

when was there supposed to be any?

No, there are not supposed to be Xbox One X exclusives.

This account is really suspect.

And the 2 posts in this thread:

In all seriousness, a mod should really check this one out.

Asking a mod to check him out because he's a fanboy? There are tons of posts like his for Sony fans, especially here.

Lort : t r o L

There is no need to shitpost because you don't agree with him.

Raziel

Asking a mod to check him out because he's a fanboy? There are tons of posts like his for Sony fans, especially here.

If you know of more accounts that new, with total posts that few, with an astroturfing posting style that obvious, by all means post them here. We should look into those as well.

If you know of more accounts that new, with total posts that few, with an astroturfing posting style that obvious, by all means post them here. We should look into those as well.

His posts don't look like astroturfing. Astroturfers are not that childish and obvious. There are documentaries about these things. If This was the case, all of N4G and Gamefaqs will be astroturfers.

But all this is deviating from the topic at hand, so I'll stop there.

I feel like they need to change their priorities from a platform holder perspective. It's not just about total number of exclusives (although more would help). It just seems they are very interested in making games as a service as their only push for all software. Of course this is driven from a desire for their software platform to be the most profitable it can be, which isn't bad per say, but it might be a bit short sighted.

When you look at the big picture the way they are approaching software and their platform is very different than what Sony is doing. Sony obviously want to have their first party software profitable, but to a much lesser extent in that it isn't the only focus. Instead Sony treat their first party development as a method for strengthening/pushing their platform/brand. Basically they subsidize/invest in the development of these games as a way to push their platform (very similar to netflix's exclusive content).

The end result of Sony's approach is a wide and very deep portfolio of games that appeal to a diverse demographic. Microsoft's focus on profitability, on the other hand, really only allows for a much more narrow and smaller number of first party games. High profit games as service can't be shoe horned into every genre (single player says hello!) so Microsoft are left with some pretty big gaps in their line up both from a content and volume perspective.

I would also add that the service model of gaming is very hit driven and fickle. Microsoft can't just manufacture hits. These types of games just seem to naturally gain traction in the market.

Anyways to answer your question, I think the proof is in the pudding. Sony has sold twice the number of hardware this gen which is proof Sony's model resonates better with gamers (twice as many give or take). If Microsoft wants to earn back some of these customers I think they will need to adjust their business model to be a bit more like Sony's.

Sony- Give a lot get a lot
Microsoft- give less and get less back

Interesting perspective. I've always appreciated Sonys willingness to take chances with new IP's even if it quite often leads to things I wish they weren't bothering with. Some I've really enjoyed like the Resistance and Motorstorm series', some not so much but at least they do try different genres. You're right that Microsoft won't be able to just manufacture hits, so they need to dip their hand in as many possibilities as they can because creating buzz worthy games that people feel they need to have will be the main driver if they intend to take back any of the market they've lost since last gen.

Some of the defensiveness in this thread is warranted for some trolling, but I don't understand why it can't be a valid discussion of what Microsoft can do to regain the give or take 50% market contraction they've had. I'm not here to bash Microsoft, I don't want exclusive list wars because those are usually just a matter of taste, but I think its 100% fair to say that MS has lost a huge chunk of their user base from last gen and discuss how they can try to get some of that back. Imo it will only be possible through exclusive to their console games and the spread of positive mind share with the general public from these must play games. I just don't see what else there is that could swing the tide.

Raziel

His posts don't look like astroturfing. Astroturfers are not that childish and obvious. There are documentaries about these things. If This was the case, all of N4G and Gamefaqs will be astroturfers.

But all this is deviating from the topic at hand, so I'll stop there.

I think that's a smart move.

Alebrije

No, there are not supposed to be Xbox One X exclusives.

There is no need to shitpost because you don't agree with him.

Yep agree, but is a funny coincidence.

Lort

Banned

So noone comments on this post .. and i directly reply underneither and im MORE on topic with a focus on exclusive games and everyone comments on mine?!?

And u want to ban me lol wtf ?!?

BC is definitely important. PC gamers can go back and play any old game they so desire. They don't have to keep their old PC or pay a company a monthly fee to stream their game to be able to play them, they just can and with no extra fees and with a higher fidelity. This is what Microsoft is building with the Xbox right now, and you can bet that with a team of 100 strong they are not putting in all of this work for nothing; the next console will support all form of BC back to the original Xbox, I'd bet anything on that. People play older games all the time. I don't think that releasing Shadow of the Collossus for the third time with slightly better graphics and making people pay 60$ again is old for your player base wen they could have a similar solution to MS's and have it natively rendered in 4k on their PS4 Pro for no extra cost to owners of the original.

You also have older games selling out on amazon, prices skyrocketing or getting in the top 10 most played games on Xbox Live when they launch on BC. And it's not because of a lack of games to play, it's because people genuinely still care for older games and don't want to keep 10 consoles plugged into their TV to play all of them. If BC wasn't a thing I can honestly say I wouldn't play any of the free 360 games I get every month, as I bet most people don't with their free PS3 games as they don't run on PS4. But my Xbox One X runs them, so I've been playing more 360 games regularly because it makes it easy for me to do so. And by they way, Ninja Gaiden renders in 4k on Xbox One X, something even the PS3 version wouldn't be able to do and the extra bells and whistles it has doesn't make it look better than the 4k version I am playing right now!

The generation was decided in the first few months because of the price and power gap. Even when they reached price parity, PS4 was still more powerful and the word of mouth had already gotten out. To think exclusives had anything to do with it is foolish and downright stupid. And all of the exclusives they are getting (like Nier for example) without any deals is because of that momentum. The player baseball is bigger on PS4 so the risks are smaller to take there than on Xbox right now. It's not because MS isn't putting in the work, but there is no way they could be paying for all of those games to come out on Xbox One when Sony isn't.

Also, this is my opinion, but yes, Halo, Forza and Gears are a lot more compelling than any Sony franchises releasing this year. When I pay 60$ for a game, not only do I get a single player story just as long as your Sony games, but after 10 hours wen the campaign is over, I can still spend hundreds of hours on MP, getting much more value out of my game. With God of War, after 10 hours the game ends up on the shelf and gathers dust as there is nothing else to do with it. This is what people want and also why free to play is so huge right now, because we get value out of it.

Maybe some of you guys should go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/most-played/games/xbox and see what people actually play. You'll see most of them are multiplayer driven. Then go here :http://steamcharts.com/top and do the same thing, you will get the same result. Reason is because multiplayer driven games are where it's at right now.

I would never buy a console because it has a longer list of exclusives I'll never play anyway. I buy a console because it offers the best overall experience (Xbox Live, graphical fidelity, BC). People don't buy PS4 for exclusives, they buy it because at the 200$ price point (which is what most people will pay), PS4 is the most powerful out of the 2 and has the momentum. PS4 Pro and Xbox One X are only a drop in the bucket and we all know it. So if you take out the casuals who are most likely getting the PS4 because of the reasons I already listed or maybe the more informed ones who prefer their Sony games, the reason why some people are still buying Xbox One S over a PS4 is the more informed gamer who either prefers MS exclusives, 4K blu-ray, controller, online infrastructure, friends, etc and don't mind playing at 900p instead of 1080p.

But for the mainstream people, most will usually go with a PS4, and it's not for the exclusives. And MS has no appeal outside of US and UK, so that widens the gap a lot more. Because here in Canada, all the people I know that still play on console are mostly on Xbox One, and I didn't need to threaten them to buy one, they did it on their own!

BC isn't important and BC never was a selling point. About GOW :

With God of War, after 10 hours the game ends up on the shelf and gathers dust as there is nothing else to do with it.

God of War will take between 25-35 hours to complete,

Also, this is my opinion, but yes, Halo, Forza and Gears are a lot more compelling than any Sony franchises releasing this year.[
I would never buy a console because it has a longer list of exclusives I'll never play anyway.

You downplay PS4 exclusives, yet you mentioned Halo, Forza, Gears.

To think exclusives had anything to do with it is foolish and downright stupid.

Oh, dear....About exclusives :

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-19-ps4-took-half-of-all-uk-physical-game-sales-in-2017

Also notable is that Sony formats will have the most exclusive titles at No.1 in the UK charts this year.

Exclusives! This huge post is such garbage.

hiphopcr

I would never buy exclusives console for exclusives. This huge post is such garbage.

I think he's just saying he prefers Xbox exclusives to Sony's.... which is reasonable, I feel the same way.

Kururu

Sir Laughs-A-Lot
Staff Member
Seems like things are getting somewhat heated in this thread. Let's try not to take opinions personally and not derail the thread with trolling.

Best racer (Forza), best competitive arena fps (Halo), best 3rd person shooter (Gears), best 2D platformers (Cuphead and Ori), fighter (Killer Instinct), 3rd person adventure (ReCore), 3rd person story (Quantum Break), 3D platformer (Lucky), best RTS (Halo Wars), biggest game in the world (PubG), and by far the best co-operative games coming up (Crackdown, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay).

Seems like they got all their bases covered.

Yes, everything is best on Xbone. Best, best, best. You didn't played Crackdown 3, yet you saying it's a best co-op game.

I think he's just saying he prefers Xbox exclusives to Sony's.... which is reasonable, I feel the same way.

Downplaying something isn't preference.

Riiiight, like they've released no games in the past 18 months. And what was Sony's fall lineup again?

Gran Turismo was relesed during fall. What's the problem?

This is totally reasonable. Forza Horizon 2&3 are my favorite current gen racing games hands down.

How does MS appeal to the mass market again though and get back that 50% market they've lost from the 360 days? Halo and Gears don't have those legs anymore, and racing games aren't going to swing the tide. I don't buy for a second that they're happy with their market position but I do think there's room for them to make up some of their lost market if they play their cards right. Imo its just not going to happen with their current game slate and overall plan. This may end up even worse for them with their next system because now Nintendo is solidly back in the game (Even if it is a slightly different market) and we're in a market that is more redundant than its ever been to own all the consoles. Paid online subscriptions may alienate the least popular user bases even more as time goes on. Its not that MS is completely shitting the bed, they are trying things like the XoneX and PUBG exclusivity for the trial period, and they may even be ok with 40-50 million console user base, but if they want more, then they need to do more than they are. It can be argued that their output is similar to Sonys in exclusive list wars, but they are in entirely different positions, one has dominated 3 of the last 4 gens and tied the other, the other one needs to scratch and claw their way up.

We can sit here and say that their franchises are great and they have had some solid ones, but they need to somehow roll out more that gets people excited and spreading good will about their offering

Artistic

Well are we crediting the 360's success to MS actually making attempts to cover all bases as far as gamer demographics or more so Sony's mishaps?

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
BC isn't important and BC never was a selling point. About GOW :

God of War will take between 25-35 hours to complete,

Oh, dear....About exclusives :

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-12-19-ps4-took-half-of-all-uk-physical-game-sales-in-2017

Exclusives! This huge post is such garbage.

Go to a store and see what people buying new systems are asking for. Nobody asks or is looking into exclusives. People just look at the cheapest console available, PS4 or Xbox One in this case, see where most of their friends are playing and which one is the most powerful for as little money as possible. You are delusional if you think the average consumers look for more than that. Also, you posting an article about exclusives being no1 for a few weeks of the year in only 1 specific region especially when those exclusives were not released in the most jam packed times of the year doesn't really prove anything. Just look here and you'll see only 1 PS4 exclusive shows up in the top 10 for the whole year here in the US. None of which are niche japanese games or other PS4 exclusives people are always raving about.

A huge chunk of PS4 gamers (why it's also selling a lot more than Xbox One) this gen are people who switched from Xbox to PS4 because it was cheaper/more powerful and those are not people who are buying exclusives. They only switched to go where COD/BF/Madden/AssCreed looks and plays best for as little money as possible. Worldwide sales and current top played games show this. If Xbox One and PS4 would have been the same price and same power at launch you'd have very different results right now. PS4 would still be leading most likely, but by a much smaller margin. The only exclusives worth a damn to people are exclusive DLCs for COD, Star Wars Battlefront or Destiny. Those sell more consoles than any Horizon, Uncharted or God of War.

But it's cool, you can keep cherry picking articles to try to prove your points. At this point in time it's pointless to try to argue with anyone as sales show the complete opposite yet people still talk about exclusives when it's something that is never brought up by the common people at videogame stores. Same with casual gamers when you talk to them or current most played games (Xbox Live or Steam shows what is most played, PS4 you can't find it online unfortunately).

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Go to a store and see what people buying new systems are asking for. Nobody asks or is looking into exclusives. People just look at the cheapest console available, PS4 or Xbox One in this case, see where most of their friends are playing and which one is the most powerful for as little money as possible. You are delusional if you think the average consumers look for more than that. Also, you posting an article about exclusives being no1 for a few weeks of the year in only 1 specific region especially when those exclusives were not released in the most jam packed times of the year doesn't really prove anything. Just look here and you'll see only 1 PS4 exclusive shows up in the top 10 for the whole year here in the US. None of which are niche japanese games or other PS4 exclusives people are always raving about.

A huge chunk of PS4 gamers (why it's also selling a lot more than Xbox One) this gen are people who switched from Xbox to PS4 because it was cheaper/more powerful and those are not people who are buying exclusives. They only switched to go where COD/BF/Madden/AssCreed looks and plays best for as little money as possible. Worldwide sales and current top played games show this. If Xbox One and PS4 would have been the same price and same power at launch you'd have very different results right now. PS4 would still be leading most likely, but by a much smaller margin. The only exclusives worth a damn to people are exclusive DLCs for COD, Star Wars Battlefront or Destiny. Those sell more consoles than any Horizon, Uncharted or God of War.

But it's cool, you can keep cherry picking articles to try to prove your points. At this point in time it's pointless to try to argue with anyone as sales show the complete opposite yet people still talk about exclusives when it's something that is never brought up by the common people at videogame stores. Same with casual gamers when you talk to them or current most played games (Xbox Live or Steam shows what is most played, PS4 you can't find it online unfortunately).

Sales don't show the complete opposite.

The reason why you don't see many exclusives in the top 10 is because those games are on a single platform. So what you have to look at is how many of those games are sold on a single platform. If 12 million people are buying Call of Duty, then that means that's only about 3 million less than what Uncharted 4 has sold.

Sony knew what they were doing when they made console theme bundles for uncharted and put their exclusives on the front of the box. Microsoft knew Halo 5 was the more popular title, so they made more Halo 5 bundles and console theme hardware because they are all selling points.

If people on this thread were correct, then Sony wouldn't use terms such as "Console exclusive" and "Only on PlayStation."

Cherry picking article, yet it shows how exclusives are important and UK is biggest european market and also you mentioned in previous post US & UK LOL
Horizon got outsold by huge titles on multiple platforms. You don't say. Btw, that's a revenue list, not a unit list. People don't buy console because exclusives... Just look at the Switch. And Super Mario and Zelda are huge sellers. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Cheapest solution. Oh wait. Xbone was 189$ during November, cheaper than PS4 and Switch. Yet it didn't outsold PS4. Sony bundled Star Wars BF and BF2 just because movie hype, nothing else. And Sony didn't sell Star Wars bundle outside holiday season. Btw. during whole 2016 Sony sold bunch of Uncharted 4 bundles in US. Amazon is just a small portion of that: https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2016/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_cal_ye

Uncharted 4 bundle sold more than Destiny bundle and Star Wars bundle.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Tbh i need the xbox for its exclusives.
For example forza racing games are the only real AAA racing games this gen.

Sure gt sport is okish.
But forza just walks all over it.

As exclusive fighting games i just love killer instict with the stupid long combos and fast gameplay.

Streetfight 5 isnt doing it for me and i prefer 4 tbh.

For nice retro games xbox also got you covered.
Xbox og games xbox 360 games heck and rare replay!

Ps4 still doesnt have ps1 😐

Also in exclusive shooters i think the xbox rules.
Halo is just a real fun game and so is gears.
I can go back to halo now and have hours of coop fun

Uncharted 4 really got boring imo and i didnt even bother with that spin off. (Horizon was fun for a while but i felt like doing the same thing fast)
I would say the last of us is great tbh!

I see a lot of people always boasting about exclusives on ps4 and i own most of them. But i can't really pick a game i would really miss.

I hope the new god of war will be great.

But until then i will play forza 7 and horizon 3 mostly.

Sosokrates

Tbh i need the xbox for its exclusives.
For example forza racing games are the only real AAA racing games this gen.

Sure gt sport is okish.
But forza just walks all over it.

As exclusive fighting games i just love killer instict with the stupid long combos and fast gameplay.

Streetfight 5 isnt doing it for me and i prefer 4 tbh.

For nice retro games xbox also got you covered.
Xbox og games xbox 360 games heck and rare replay!

Ps4 still doesnt have ps1 😐

Also in exclusive shooters i think the xbox rules.
Halo is just a real fun game and so is gears.
I can go back to halo now and have hours of coop fun

Uncharted 4 really got boring imo and i didnt even bother with that spin off. (Horizon was fun for a while but i felt like doing the same thing fast)
I would say the last of us is great tbh!

I see a lot of people always boasting about exclusives on ps4 and i own most of them. But i can't really pick a game i would really miss.

I hope the new god of war will be great.

But until then i will play forza 7 and horizon 3 mostly.

I just past the bit in gears 4
where Marcus gets eaten by that creature
Ive enjoyed it so far, but does it get better or worse?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I just past the bit in gears 4
where Marcus gets eaten by that creature
Ive enjoyed it so far, but does it get better or worse?
About the same a lil better imo.
Its an overall fun game and def better then judgement ;)

Go to a store and see what people buying new systems are asking for. Nobody asks or is looking into exclusives. People just look at the cheapest console available, PS4 or Xbox One in this case, see where most of their friends are playing and which one is the most powerful for as little money as possible.
Right now Xbox has the cheapest (base XB1) and most powerful (XB1 X) consoles available. While it's true at launch PlayStation had the double punch of being both the cheapest and most powerful, that is no longer the case. This part of your analysis actually suggests that Xbox should be making a comeback.

The network effect due to friends goes in PlayStation's favor, but not as much as you'd think. First, we are four+ years into the generation. If someone has gone that long without buying a current gen console, it's safe to say that cost/interest is a more important factor than the influence of their gaming friends. In addition, a good portion of the influence of friends has to do with exclusives. After all, one of the best arguments a friend could make is to show all the games they love that aren't available on the other platform.

A huge chunk of PS4 gamers (why it's also selling a lot more than Xbox One) this gen are people who switched from Xbox to PS4 because it was cheaper/more powerful and those are not people who are buying exclusives. They only switched to go where COD/BF/Madden/AssCreed looks and plays best for as little money as possible.
You are right...for the beginning of the generation. As I've already shown, the environment has changed since then. On top of all the reasons I've already given, the state of exclusives have drastically changed since launch. Quite frankly, the exclusives at launch weren't all that impressive. AAA third party games were the "it" games to have. The exclusives games were not only a step down from the AAA games, their quality was pretty evenly distributed between Xbox and PlayStation. That's why exclusives WERE a non-factor. Things are different now.

Sony's exclusives are system seller quality. Upcoming Spider-man and God of War are E3 showstopper quality. On top of that, there are the existing exclusive games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and Uncharted 4 a new PlayStation 4 owner can look forward to picking up and playing at a now reduced price. Meanwhile Xbox's timed exclusives like Rise of the Tomb Raider are no longer exclusive and their upcoming lineup is weak by comparison.

I do agree that PlayStation would still be selling more consoles worldwide regardless of exclusives. Xbox has just retreated too far. However if the exclusive situation was reversed, in the US and UK Xbox would be making a comeback to at least parity for new console sales. You'd get new console buyers picking it up, and existing PS4 owners picking up a second console to play the hot new games. Speaking for myself as a 360 to PS4 convert, this is the first generation that I have not owned all the consoles. Right now I am extremely excited for upcoming PS4 exclusives, and feel no desire to pick up an XB1 at all.

Sosokrates

About the same a lil better imo.
Its an overall fun game and def better then judgement ;)

Yes,Im surprised how good it is. Going into it I was like "ohh more gears.....with an UE4 paint job".
But playing it, it has surpassed my expectations the environments are really great, and the new tone of the characters is welcome change to the more dude broness of previous entries.the visuals are some of the best this gen on the X.

BANGS

Banned
By your logic Nier Automata isn’t an exclusive as it’s also on PC, yet I see it brought up all the time!

Nier Automata is not an exclusive at all, just because people bring it up all the time doesn't make it an exclusive... Being able to play it exclusively on one platform is what makes it an exclusive...

Although one point of interest in bringing it up is the fact that the PS4 version is better due to performance issues in the PC version. But still, not an exclusive...

Calibos

The rumours from the API leak look intresting.

Perfect Dark,Fable, Forza Horizon in Japan. a Mech Assault game. and more. Imagine if they all get announced at E3 this year.

https://wccftech.com/xbox-live-api-sdk-leak-xb1-exclusives/

edit* Seems I got the wrong end of the stick and Conker and banjo wont be coming any time soon. shame

It's pretty interesting...I would love to see all of this get announced this year....and get a "Crackdown 3 Arena" Beta soon...

This line is very interesting:

"I would love to have a really high player-count (connections per session) for Xbox biggest franchise."

Halo 6 with massive online battles?

As I have said Before, Fable reboot and Perfect Dark would be amazing announcements, but I also want some "new" IPs. Mechassault would blow me away even though it's not new and Age of Empires would continue to ad diversity.

Journey

Banned
So noone comments on this post .. and i directly reply underneither and im MORE on topic with a focus on exclusive games and everyone comments on mine?!?

And u want to ban me lol wtf ?!?

I've been reading through the pages and I agree, it's really sad, it's like you're forced to take one side. If you're a complete Sony fanboy, you're left alone, but be somewhat optimistic about Xbox and you get attacked. I thought this place would change with the mass exodus, but I guess I was wrong.

Top Bottom