• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enterbrain confident in Wii maintaining its lead over PS3 in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tellaerin

PantherLotus said:
I said it, schmuck (tm). But I did it with far more style and substance while you continue to prance around the room with your "analysis." "Market trends," the "human condition," "gimmicks and fads," wtfe. You don't know shit and you prove it continually.

'Style and substance'? Quit patting yourself on the back before you strain something.

As far as me not knowing shit, I could say the same of anyone else in this thread. We're all amateurs playing armchair analyst right now, including you (unless you're secretly Michael Pachter.) I stated my opinions, I explained my reasoning. Some people didn't like that, or didn't agree with it. Oh ****ing well. Not my problem. Get back to me a couple of years down the line, and if I turn out to be wrong, I'll gladly admit it then. In the meantime, do us both a favor and quit trying to live up to your tag.

DJ Sl4m

cvxfreak said:
Again, I disagree. Wii Sports and Wii Play are forming a large majority of software sales, while Zelda, Wario Ware and Pokemon combined probably don't even match Wii Sports alone. Nintendo fans AND non-gamers have supported the system so far and will continue to do so.

Ok fair enough, but you expect how many sales from non gamers ?

i wouldn't count on them to add much, I can see the Wii selling a great deal at first, but software sales dropping off significantly BECAUSE of the non gamers. Nfans are only going to carry it so far, nongamers like grandma and such simply aren't going to drop a few houndred into games each year.

DJ Sl4m said:
I never said it's saturated. I think the GC leveled off at about 6million+ before the sales dropped.

GameCube sales were never, ever as brisk as those on Wii - it was never, ever as in demand. Wii has Japan wrapped up unless we see a shift that is unprecedented in console history. Wii has far, far more hype in the US than GC ever did, and the same goes for Europe.

Nintendo have not had this much publicity and goodwill for a very long time.

DJ Sl4m said:

i wouldn't count on them to add much, I can see the Wii selling a great deal at first, but software sales dropping off significantly BECAUSE of the non gamers. Nfans are only going to carry it so far, nongamers like grandma and such simply aren't going to drop a few houndred into games each year.

Some people are truly, truly in denial and oblivious to the impact the DS has had in the industry.

DJ Sl4m said:
Nfans are only going to carry it so far, nongamers like grandma and such simply aren't going to drop a few houndred into games each year.

Nor do a huge quantity of PlayStation owners. In fact, a great many people with PlayStation consoles are 'casuals' who will buy a few games over its lifespan, with the hardcore filling in for the rest.

cvxfreak

Tellaerin said:
'Style and substance'? Quit patting yourself on the back before you strain something.

As far as me not knowing shit, I could say the same of anyone else in this thread. We're all amateurs playing armchair analyst right now, including you (unless you're secretly Michael Pachter.) I stated my opinions, I explained my reasoning. Some people didn't like that, or didn't agree with it. Oh ****ing well. Not my problem. Get back to me a couple of years down the line, and if I turn out to be wrong, I'll gladly admit it then. In the meantime, do us both a favor and quit trying to live up to your tag.

A lot of posters in this thread got it right for PSP and DS against many of the same types of arguments (like people seeing DS and PSP down the road and choosing that one), so you'd do well to take the things they've said to heart and find them somewhat believable. There's less ass-pulling on their end than from the side of the dismal outlookers, not that I necessarily think you're doing so (I'm talking about other arguments).

I'll be a good sport too and will gladly admit if I'm wrong (not that I'm really arguing for anything on the Wii front any more than correcting some popular misconceptions). But whoever is wrong, prepare to be humiliated beyond belief (quoted in posts years from now, etc).

DJ Sl4m

TheDrowningMan said:
GameCube sales were never, ever as brisk as those on Wii - it was never, ever as in demand. Wii has Japan wrapped up unless we see a shift that is unprecedented in console history. Wii has far, far more hype in the US than GC ever did, and the same goes for Europe.

Nintendo have not had this much publicity and goodwill for a very long time.

Of course, but it's mostly because of Sony's **** up in pricing IMO.
The Wii sales aren't so brisk as that they are incomparable to the GC, but they are higher, take away Sony's ridiculous price and the situation isn't the same.

DJ Sl4m

TheDrowningMan said:
Nor do a huge quantity of PlayStation owners. In fact, a great many people with PlayStation consoles are 'casuals' who will buy a few games over its lifespan, with the hardcore filling in for the rest.

I guarantee you PS casuals bought more games than grandmas will.

cvxfreak

DJ Sl4m said:

Non-games aren't going to stop with the Wii. Wii Health could open up a new audience of non-gamers in the same manner English Training appeals to many different people that might not see the point in buying Brain Age.

Even if sales stopped, it will take a long time (unless PS3 really picks up) before PS3 will even get near the Wii, so third party games that resulted from the Wii's early lead will in turn sustain sales in the longrun.

DJ Sl4m

cvxfreak said:
I'll be a good sport too and will gladly admit if I'm wrong

You know that's a good point, I'm glad you brought it up.
I'm not trying to argue or debate I'm simply stating what I see as Nintendo's weakness, and I can see the momentum coming to an end by early 2008.

I realize they will sell a lot and thats great, It's nice to see all 3 on such even grounds after last gen.

Most Nfans refuse to see any weakness in Nintendo's armor, I'm just simply pointing out that all 3 have weakness, it's just which gets exploited the most.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
DJ Sl4m said:
Of course, but it's mostly because of Sony's **** up in pricing IMO.
The Wii sales aren't so brisk as that they are incomparable to the GC, but they are higher, take away Sony's ridiculous price and the situation isn't the same.
Price is a factor, as well as the software offering. WiiSports is only possible on Wii, and this kind of software reaches a massive audience, which wouldn't buy Resistance on PS3 even if the entry price was the same.

cvxfreak

DJ Sl4m said:
You know that's a good point, I'm glad you brought it up.
I'm not trying to argue or debate I'm simply stating what I see as Nintendo's weakness, and I can see the momentum coming to an end by early 2008.

I realize they will sell a lot and thats great, It's nice to see all 3 on such even grounds after last gen.

Most Nfans refuse to see any weakness in Nintendo's armor, I'm just simply pointing out that all 3 have weakness, it's just which gets exploited the most.

Nintendo's weakness with the Wii is, yes, HD and graphics potential. As much as I cringe at those arguments against the Wii solely on graphics, they probably do echo a significant portion of gamers (even 1 Million turned off gamers wouldn't be too cool, I imagine).

DJ Sl4m

cvxfreak said:
Non-games aren't going to stop with the Wii. Wii Health could open up a new audience of non-gamers in the same manner English Training appeals to many different people that might not see the point in buying Brain Age.

Even if sales stopped, it will take a long time (unless PS3 really picks up) before PS3 will even get near the Wii, so third party games that resulted from the Wii's early lead will in turn sustain sales in the longrun.

I understand what you are saying, they surely will get more 3rd party dev support, but what will the casuals care a year from now ? Who knows really.

You know what, I like and respect you, and we can chat in another thread, simply put......... a person with any negative thoughts can't even hold a conversation in a thread like this without the Hive attacking at every angle.

I'll catch ya in another thread dude, thanks for the angles you presented. I always like thinking about things from all sides.

justchris

Tellaerin said:
Games for casual/non-gamers != 'traditional' games.

Different audiences, limited overlap.

Casual games are selling to this casual market, but that doesn't account for the sales of traditional games on the platform. If the audience Nintendo was supposedly reaching out to had been interested in those titles in the first place, then there would have been no reason to make a special effort to reach out to them in the first place. (Which underscores my contention that overlap is limited.) And that makes me feel disinclined to believe that most of them would suddenly develop an interest in other types of games based on Brain Training or Nintendogs. Write it off as circular reasoning if you like - I'm just telling you what I think.

And you can't keep insisting that it's all driven by the same salarymen, OL's, and elderly folks who supposedly drove DS hardware numbers into the stratosphere by picking up the system for Brain Training, Nintendogs, etc., either. Or do traditional games just magically become less scary/intimidating/overcomplicated/boring for nongamers when they're on the DS? Maybe you could make an argument for that in the case of purely stylus-based games designed for casual play, but those aren't the titles I'm talking about here.
I don't expect you to agree with me, but I know you're not stupid - please do us both a favor and stop pretending that you don't see what I'm saying here.

Actually, that's a rather simple one to explain. I can even use personal experience to try to help you understand, it all has to do with 'Barrier to Entry'.

First, think about the first video game you ever played.

I will be using the DS for this demonstration since it has proved it's ability, and the Wii has yet to do so.

Now, let's take a good hardcore game, something like God of War. I remember looking at the God of War instruction manual, to see the controls, and not quite comprehending how everything worked. So I just memorized the most basic controls (attack & jump), started up the game, and figured the rest out from there.

See, I can do that, cause I've been playing video games since the early 80's. I know the PS2 controller standard pretty well, and I know in general how that style of game works. But think about this, if an experienced gamer like myself can't figure out how to play a game from reading the manual, what kind of barrier to entry must that be for a complete novice? That is monumental. A person who might otherwise like a game simply won't ever play it because, at first glance, it seems beyond them.

But that's not the only barrier to entry. How many girls do you know who enjoy watching their boyfriends, or just male friends, play Final Fantasy games, but won't touch the controller themselves. They can follow the story, enjoy the cutscenes, but when it gets to a battle, or customizing their character and managing levels, they're totally lost, because it's not something they have the training to understand.

Then there's the third, and even larger barrier. The stigma associated with being a gamer. Gamers are geeks. Gamers are violent. Gamers are losers. A person who might otherwise enjoy playing video games might have valid social reason to avoid them.

The DS has very neatly sidestepped ALL of these barriers. And it was able to do it with one game, Nintendogs.

First, sidestepping the social barrier, by making it a game that is socially acceptable to play. Non-violent, appeals to both adults and children, males and females. When you see people in your church, people you like and respect playing video games, you will obviously reconsider your position no them as worthless or for violent, geeky losers.

Second, the controls for Nintendogs are ridiculously simple from the beginning. They are so easy to learn, and introduce you to uses for the touch screen, and even, to a limited extent, for the buttons. So now you go from not knowing how to control video games, to have a decent understanding of where everything is located, and how they respond. The software basically teaches you how to use the hardware, so now more complex games, while they still require learning new techniques, are really just an extension of existing knowledge, not something completely new and foreign.

Finally, while Nintendogs starts out as a very easy game, it has a lot of advanced stuff the more you get into it. Mini-games, stat managing, budget balancing and the like. These are the same techniques that are used to great affect in games with much deeper gameplay. This doesn't mean that you can go straight from Nintendogs and automatically know exactly how to play a Final Fantasy game, but it does mean that you have a place to begin, and don't have to start completely lost in the dark.

The DS, and the games aimed at casual/non-gamers, neatly remove the primary barriers that prevent people from becoming gamers. The software teaches you to use the hardware. The software teaches you the conventions of gaming. Now you have a frame of reference with which to broaden your understanding. You can move on from that to more hardcore games, if they meet your interests, without finding yourself dropped in a bottomless mire with no idea of what goes where, or even why it goes there.

Now, this does not mean that the people who started with casual games are all buying hardcore games, in fact it's reasonable to assume that less than half of them are, but it's unreasonable to assume that none of them are. When the sales numbers are showing games selling higher than all of their predecessors, you can't just attribute it to lapsed gamers, because you're selling more units than there ever were lapsed gamers.

Tellaerin said:
From the beginning, Nintendo's been touting the Wii as this system for the casuals and nongamers. It's designed to appeal to a segment of the market that finds conventional controls too complex, conventional games daunting, yadda yadda yadda. Its big draw is its motion-sensing controller, and the way it allows players to perform actions in the game by miming them. That's garnered quite a bit of attention from the media because it's novel - it's something different, and there's a 'gee whiz' aspect to it. People try it and go, 'oh, neat!' I think it would be safe to say that's been a major contributing factor in sales, wouldn't you?

Ummmm...no they haven't. That shows that you haven't been paying attention to Nintendo's marketing moves at all.

Why did Nintendo include Wii Sports in the base package in NA & EU? Think about it, really think about it. Did they do this for casual gamers? I mean, casual gamers who would reasonably buy the console and the game anyway if that was the only game they wanted?

No, the reason for Wii Sports as a pack-in is bloody obvious in hindsight. NA, especially, is a much more hardcore market than Japan. Nintendo can get away with Wii Sports sold separately in Japan, because it's something the Japanese people are likely to buy into.

In NA, Wii Sports would have died sold separately, because the hardcore gamers would never have bought it. If the hardcore gamers didn't buy it, and show their casual/non-gamer friends, these non-gamers would not no it existed. They would then proceed to NOT buy the console.

I guarantee you, were you to have the chance to ask anyone at Nintendo, they would tell you that Wii Sports is targeted equally at hardcore gamers as it is at non-gamers. Wii Sports is fun, even for hardcore gamers. It's no Resistance:FoM, but it's a game that hardcore gamers can enjoy just as much as non-gamers, even more with all the unlockables and secrets it has, something that you average non-gamer isn't going to give two shits about.

The goal of the Wii is software that appeals to both casual gamers and hardcore gamers, and that brings non-gamers into the fold, who will hopefully then become hardcore gamers, or at least casual gamers. The ultimate goal is for every single game to appeal to both types of gamers, but that's hard, verging on impossible. So Nintendo does the next best thing, 2 games for casuals or every 1 game for hardcore. This is perfectly logical, because a hardcore gamer will take a chance on a casual game, whereas a casual gamer is less likely to take a chance on a hardcore game. It is also logical because hardcore games usually take longer to develop and cost more money than casual games. Spread like that, you have Nintendo making just as many hardcore games for the Wii as they made for the GC, plus another 2x as many games aimed at the casual market, meaning Nintendo alone is making 3x as many games for the Wii as they made for the GC.

The fact that people perceive the Wii as being primarily mini-game/casual gamer focused, may hurt the Wii's chances of accomplishing this, but I guarantee you, if publishers see their hardcore games selling as much or more copies on the Wii as they are on other consoles, they'll put those games on the Wii, and won't be the least bit upset that casual mini-game fests are outselling them, because they STILL selling more than they possibly could on opposing hardware.

Tellaerin said:
The bottom line is that the novelty of waving around the controller to make things happen is going to wear off, and casual/non-gamer types are only going to buy so many gesture-based party games to play with their friends. And yet Nintendo seems fixated on that audience right now, and don't seem to show any signs of shifting focus. The core gamer audience - the one that's traditionally driven sales of console hardware and software - seems almost like an afterthought. You're assuming that this new market segment is going to behave the exact same way the core gamers have, and sustain hardware and software sales in the long term the same way core gamers do. That's unproven, and I think it's doubtful.

Again, the Wiimote isn't about novelty. It doesn't matter to Nintendo if the novelty wears off. The Wiimote, the entire philosophy behind the Wii, is lowering barrier to entry. Getting people to own the system in the first place. Hence the picture channel, news channel and weather channel.

Nintendo doesn't care if the Wiimote is a better controller. All they care about is that it is an easier controller to learn. Getting people to learn to use the controller is just a first step. Once they are willing to use it, your ability to sell them a game, any game, increases by a factor of 6 (that's based on statistics from the cable business, not the video game business, but I think it probably applies).

The fact that it's a better controller, a more innovative controller, allows them to differentiate themselves from the competition. So, yeah, that previous statement was hyperbolic, Nintendo does care. But they're 100% more concerned that the controller is easier to learn, that it crushes the barrier to entry, and makes it easier to bring in people who otherwise wouldn't play games. Once you have those people playing your games, the controller no longer matters, now you have to introduce software that will slowly bring them from just playing casually, to making gaming a central and important hobby for them.

MaddenNFL64

The one thing everyone should take out of all this is that Nintendo isn't marginalized anymore. The gaming press, and even the competition have to talk about them, even toss some FUD it's way. 3 strong competitors, whose LTD sales could very well be +/- 5 million apart.

Good for all of us.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Nintendo's weakness with the Wii is, yes, HD and graphics potential. As much as I cringe at those arguments against the Wii solely on graphics, they probably do echo a significant portion of gamers (even 1 Million turned off gamers wouldn't be too cool, I imagine).

I have to wonder though if those criticism are genuine or just a defense mechanism because they feel threatened. Similar things have happened with the DS and further back, the incessant whining over the PSone loading.

Certainly criticism have some basis of truth to them, but if a console or game platform is successful within a market (and I'm not taking Wii's success for granted either), it has obviously overcome its weakness(es) to become successful.

Nintendo builds a substantial lead in '07
???
Sony wins.

Just posting that again because it seems to be the mantra of some of the people in this thread.

Come on guys, this is like talking about the Premiership race after 5 games!

The consoles haven't even come close to what the predecessors sold last time, I'd say most buyers of the Wii are gamecube owners considering it launched with Zelda, and they've been out for what 3 months?? one (PS3) at a price it's obvious a consumer would need a reason to buy, compared to impulse-purchase Wii, and there are reasons coming to buy the PS3 "top 20 most wanted" in famitsu proves that.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
ChrisAllenFiz said:
But this time 360 will get to 10M first, and Wii will win japan, at least this year. So who wins overall?
It still has a good 3-4 million units to go (worldwide) you know. It's doing OK in NA, but not that good in Europe and is not even registering as a blip on the japanese radar.

While the Wii already sold more than 3 million units worldwide since launch we're talking 2.5 months of availability in NA and barely 2 months everywhere else here), and doesn't show much signs of stopping (you still can't find it anywhere, be it in Japan, US or Europe)...

10 million for 360 first is far from done.
Tellaerin said:
I stated my opinions, I explained my reasoning.
and you ignored every single fact presented to you

DJ Sl4m

justchris said:
Really? I'm willing to bet the US Census Bureau would disagree with you heartily.

Ok, you're going to get the US Census Bureau to show us all something from the future ? Nice, sounds about right for this thread, now you see why there are no safe polls online as long as Nintendo fans have internet access.

justchris

DJ Sl4m said:
Ok, you're going to get the US Census Bureau to show us all something from the future ? Nice, sounds about right for this thread, now you see why there are no safe polls online as long as Nintendo fans have internet access.

No, information from the present.

Your statement was that grandmas aren't going to buy many games.

While that may or may not turn out to be true, current census data counter-indicates it.

Consider this. Retirees have more free time than their children (who have jobs, houses and children of their own) and their grandchildren (who have school). They also, according to census data, on average have more disposable income than the people younger than them. With the Baby Boomers just recently reaching retirement age, grandparents have more disposable income than people in their age bracket have ever had in the entire history of the United States.

So, let's put those two things together. They have more time, meaning they can spend more time playing games. They have more money, meaning they can afford to spend (according to census data, again) 4 to 5 times as much money on video games as anyone else.

So the only real barrier is getting to them to start playing video games in the first place, somehow making it seem as a viable source of entertainment and a valuable use of their leisure time. Nintendo has already made inroads into attracting this market with Brain Training and similar games. Once they have the hardware and an interest in the games, all available data points to them actually buying more games on average than anyone younger than them, if for no other reason than they can afford it.

Certainly, this isn't universally true, but it's true enough for a large enough percentage of the demographic to make it a valuable market for Nintendo and 3rd parties to court. The main hurdle, as I said, is getting them to play games in the first place. Once they do, they're likely to continue doing it, after all, what better do they have to do with their time or money?

DJ Sl4m

justchris said:
No, information from the present.

Your statement was that grandmas aren't going to buy many games.

While that may or may not turn out to be true, current census data counter-indicates it.

Consider this. Retirees have more free time than their children (who have jobs, houses and children of their own) and their grandchildren (who have school). They also, according to census data, on average have more disposable income than the people younger than them. With the Baby Boomers just recently reaching retirement age, grandparents have more disposable income than people in their age bracket have ever had in the entire history of the United States.

So, let's put those two things together. They have more time, meaning they can spend more time playing games. They have more money, meaning they can afford to spend (according to census data, again) 4 to 5 times as much money on video games as anyone else.

So the only real barrier is getting to them to start playing video games in the first place, somehow making it seem as a viable source of entertainment and a valuable use of their leisure time. Nintendo has already made inroads into attracting this market with Brain Training and similar games. Once they have the hardware and an interest in the games, all available data points to them actually buying more games on average than anyone younger than them, if for no other reason than they can afford it.

Certainly, this isn't universally true, but it's true enough for a large enough percentage of the demographic to make it a valuable market for Nintendo and 3rd parties to court. The main hurdle, as I said, is getting them to play games in the first place. Once they do, they're likely to continue doing it, after all, what better do they have to do with their time or money?

They also have much less money, in fact most have trouble paying for meds.
Besides I said "I guarantee you PS casuals bought more games than grandmas will.", I never said they have.

If you think grandmas are lighting up the Wii sales charts please provide some proof with this substantial new userbase, not this spin.

Masklinn said:
It still has a good 3-4 million units to go (worldwide) you know.

Is this correct? I keep hearing games journalist state 10 million installed base for 360, you're saying 6-7 mill, who's correct?

CorwinB

travisbickle said:
I'd say most buyers of the Wii are gamecube owners considering it launched with Zelda,

I agree with you. If only Zelda TP had a Cube version, then Wii sales would not be nearly as stro... Nevermind.

compared to impulse-purchase Wii,

Thanks for regurgitating Sony PR talking points. I still fail to see how $250 coupled with several hours lines constitute "impulse purchase", but I'm sure either you or Phil Harrisson have an explanation ready for that.

and there are reasons coming to buy the PS3 "top 20 most wanted" in famitsu proves that.

Because we all know the Famitsu "Most Wanted" chart is a pretty good barometer of
a) actual interest in a given title on a large scale
b) future of console sales

travisbickle said:
Is this correct? I keep hearing games journalist state 10 million installed base for 360, you're saying 6-7 mill, who's correct?

10.4 shipped (excluding january). Sold is probably about 8 point something.

justchris

DJ Sl4m said:
They also have much less money, in fact most have trouble paying for meds.
Besides I said "I guarantee you PS casuals bought more games than grandmas will.", I never said they have.

If you think grandmas are lighting up the Wii sales charts please provide some proof with this substantial new userbase, not this spin.

The use of the term 'most' does not coincide with the available data. Many have trouble paying for their meds, but not most.

And yes, that is what you said. And it may well turn out to be true, but it's not guaranteed to be true. Old people have entertainment dollars to spend. It is up to the gaming companies to convince them to spend those dollars on video games rather than on movies, cruises, fishing trips or world travel.

And I never said anything specifically about the Wii here. I was arguing the validity of your statement in general, not as it pertains to specific hardware. The Wii has yet to really prove anything. The DS has proven it's concept works, and that it can attract people of various demographics. The Wii still has a ways to go.

CorwinB said:
I agree with you. If only Zelda TP had a Cube version, then Wii sales would not be nearly as stro... Nevermind.

Thanks for regurgitating Sony PR talking points. I still fail to see how $250 coupled with several hours lines constitute "impulse purchase", but I'm sure either you or Phil Harrisson have an explanation ready for that.

Because we all know the Famitsu "Most Wanted" chart is a pretty good barometer of
a) actual interest in a given title on a large scale
b) future of console sales

Do you want to take this outside? I'll take this outside!

They were just my observations, not a personal attack

MaddenNFL64

I still don't get what's bad about being an impulse purchase. Companies strive for that. If thats a dig at the Wii for being more affordable than the competition, and enticing on a purely aesthetic/first look level, well... Nintendo would probably say thank you.

justchris

MaddenNFL64 said:
I still don't get what's bad about being an impulse purchase. Companies strive for that. If thats a dig at the Wii for being more affordable than the competition, and enticing on a purely aesthetic/first look level, well... Nintendo would probably say thank you.

No, being an impulse purchase is great for a stand alone product. For a game console, that requires you to then purchase more games, being an impulse purchase doesn't guarantee you the kind of support you want.

Tellaerin said:
Yes, I've read the posts in between, but 'x number of platinum games, blah blah blah' still doesn't tell me who's buying them, and I have a hard time believing that non-gamers who supposedly bought the system for one of these casual-oriented titles are the same ones driving more traditional software sales across the board.

Well, uh, if that's your claim, tell us where those additional sales came from. Define the demographic that they fall into and tell us about the reason why they didn't buy into the GBA but have been rushing to buy the DS. Note again the inarguable, mathematical facts: the DS is selling better month-to-month than the GBA and will surpass its totals very soon.

Our contention (that Nintendo's described strategy has worked and that people who were previously not counted as "gamers" have purchased the DS and followed that up with purchases of additional software) is pretty straightforward and passes Occam's Razor pretty well. If you're gonna take issue with it, you're gonna need to at least have a very specific alternate explanation of events, not just a vague "yeah I don't think so."

If they were interested in those kinds of games to begin with, then they would have jumped aboard during the GBA generation, don't you think?

They weren't interested in those kinds of games to begin with. They became interested in them, or rekindled an old but dormant interest in them, after buying the DS for another reason and then realizing that 3000 yen would get them a copy of Kirby or Mario or whatever.

It couldn't possibly have anything to do with the DQ franchise having a strong fanbase, and franchise loyalty helping to drive hardware/software purchases, though.

That explains the franchise more than doubling in sales from one installment to the next? DQ has always been a popular franchise; in fact, it's arguably been a stronger franchise in the past than it is now, based on the sales of the main series entries. So what magically caused this game in the Monsters spinoff series to magically -- I'm going to say it again -- more than double in sales?

EDIT: Seriously, dude. Just answer the questions. Lay out your vision for exactly who is buying the DS and associated software.

I think I've figured out the issue here.

Tellaerin has overestimated the nongamers.

See, if I'm right, you believe that the reason the nongamers don't buy a game like Dragon Quest is because they have a good knowledge of the mechanics of the Dragon Quest game, how it plays out, all the necessary information, and then made the decision, "This sort of entertainment does not appeal to me."

This, incidentally, is why I laugh whenever someone makes a comment about 'those stupid casuals who refuse to buy 'Awesome Game A'.

These people completely miss the point. They know nothing about the game. Most of the time, they are not even aware the game exists.

Now, look at the games that took off. I mean, really took off. Not FF7 level 'taking off', Pokemon level.

What happened? Mass market exposure. You could find the electric rat everywhere. In Singaporean pasar malams, every single clothing booth would have at least five different pirated shirts of various Pokemon, ranging from Pikachu to Marrill and whatnot. It entered public consciousness. People began to know about the existence of this game.

And so they bought it. The interesting thing was that when it first came out, it was a mere blip on the sales charts. It took word of mouth - of how incredibly fun and addicting the game was - to sell it.

The same principle with Brain Training and Nintendogs. Only with Nintendogs, Nintendo had an advantage - everybody knows what dogs are. Good word of mouth meant the game sales spread. And the same happened with Animal Crossing and Brain Training.

Now, what next? Those who compare this to 'the next Furby or Tamagotchi' miss an important distinction. Furbies and Tamagotchis are entirely self-sustained products. Once you've exhausted the entertainment derived from that particular product, that's it. Finito. Over.

Not so with videogames. As long as software keeps coming out, you can theoretically derive infinite entertainment from a single piece of hardware.

So, what happened? People buy Brain Training. People enjoy Brain Training.

And then people begin to get bored with Brain Training.

Well, that's a shame. Now, if Brain Training was the entire point of the hardware - a la those Game & Watch products - that would have been the end of it.

But that's not how the DS was built (thank heavens). And so people started looking around for a game that could continue to fuel the enjoyment they got from the handheld. Well, Brain Training 2 would be an obvious choice. But what then?

Then they'll buy games that the subset of people known as 'gamers' rave about, of course. Nintendo has been brilliant in this regard. The massive sales of the 'nongames' (oh, how I hate that word) have disguised the fact that the actual number of 'nongames' on the market are extremely small. Were it entirely up to Nintendo, they would keep it that way. The big hook to knock down the big barrier to entry (and boy is that barrier big), and then lots of juicy bait to keep 'em swimming deeper in.

Now, notice how the sales trends go. 'Big-name' games get the biggest boosts - most notably DQM:J. It has more than doubled it's counterpart on the GBA. Why? When the nongamers with a DS begin sourcing around for opinions on games, the more widely a game is played, the more widely it'll be recommended, of course.

What about 'niche' games like Etrian Odyssey? They still see boosts - to the point where Atlus had to apologize about undershipping. Of course, the boost is nowhere near as drastic in terms of flat numbers - but then it shouldn't be. Less people play these type of games - less people would recommend these types of games. It's not going to be a 100% success rate, of course. I've yet to see a situation in which there actually was a 100% success rate.

The DS model is NOT a model for drawing in nongamers. It is a model for drawing in nongamers and then converting them into gamers.

P90

justchris said:
Really? I'm willing to bet the US Census Bureau would disagree with you heartily.

You may be right. 'Cause Grandma's buy alot of games for the kids, even for the PS targeted 13 to 21 year old demographic. Anecdotal evidence, but that is all we have anyway.

P90

charlequin said:
EDIT: Seriously, dude. Just answer the questions. Lay out your vision for exactly who is buying the DS and associated software.

A "vision" is speculation, not facts. (Of course polls aren't facts, either. The well-paid research companies that do polling can only offer guesstimates). Do you want more speculation in this thread?

P90 said:
A "vision" is speculation, not facts. (Of course polls aren't facts, either. The well-paid research companies that do polling can only offer guesstimates). Do you want more speculation in this thread?

I want to argue against an actual position rather than a vague negation. (The fact that any possible explanation he could come up with is way less believable than what I've said about the DS' success, and therefore that answering my question can only inevitably decide the discussion in my favor, is a convenient side effect.)

Ikael

They (NOTE: refearing to the elders) also have much less money, in fact most have trouble paying for meds.

Not in Europe and Japan, where there are quite extensive healthcare systems. In fact, perhaps that will result into these markets being the first ones opening to non games and games aimed to the elders... heck, it migh have already happened seeing how Europe was the place with the highest number of Nintendogs sold or the Japanese craze over nongames.

About the argument about PS3 loosing ground now but recovering late in 2008 is because it is then when its big guns will come out (White Knight, MGS4 ,etc). Then next gen battle will be decided then. If the PS3 sales gets barely better and we see a PSP level of software numbers, then we can consider the PS3 defeated, but not before. Software is always what makes or break a console, it is one bajillion times more relevant to a console sucess than its graphics, "value per dollar" or multimedia fuctions.

Same goes with the Wii. The Wii will only "win" the next gen once wii healthpack and its big guns comes out and start puting the software charts in flames, Nintendogs and New Super Mario Bross style, but not before.

PS: Pureauthor, Tellaerin and justcris are owning the tread. Mad props to you guys, this is being an awesome debate.

Tellaerin

Pureauthor said:
I think I've figured out the issue here.

Tellaerin has overestimated the nongamers.

[snip]

The DS model is NOT a model for drawing in nongamers. It is a model for drawing in nongamers and them converting them into gamers.

Interesting. To tell you the truth, I was imagining most non-gamers just look at games and turn up their noses because they know (or think they know) what games are like, and "know" ahead of time they won't like them, to the point of not giving them a chance beyond the 'casual-specific' stuff.

Your post definitely gives me a different perspective on the non-gamers out there - you're the first person in this thread to make me feel, viscerally, how the DS model could actually be capable of converting nongamers. Easy to lose sight of the non-gamer point of view when you've been playing videogames since you were a kid.

Thanks for taking the time to respond like that.

Tellaerin

charlequin said:
I want to argue against an actual position rather than a vague negation. (The fact that any possible explanation he could come up with is way less believable than what I've said about the DS' success, and therefore that answering my question can only inevitably decide the discussion in my favor, is a convenient side effect.)

Then forgive me if I decide not to play. If it makes you feel better, feel free to count it as a forfeit and go polish your ego to your heart's content. Cheers.

Tellaerin said:
Then forgive me if I decide not to play. If it makes you feel better, feel free to count it as a forfeit and go polish your ego to your heart's content. Cheers.

Don't let the door of actually having an argument hit you in the ass on the way out!

Wow, this thread keeps going longer than anticipated...

gafbunnyxz7.jpg

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
travisbickle said:
After re-checking, I had ****ed up in the numbers I quoted, see
ChrisAllenFiz said:
10.4 shipped (excluding january). Sold is probably about 8 point something.
sorry 'bout that.

Ikael said:
PS: Pureautor, Tellaerin and justcrist are owning the tread. Mad props to you guys, this is being an awesome debate.

If you want to give us accolades, the least you could do is spell our names right. :/

Jammy

Banned
Maintaining its lead week by week. Rumored hardware and software sales for last week...

http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-10025123495.html

DS ~180k
Wii ~80k
PSP ~30k
PS3 ~20k
360 ~5k

ed.
1. J-League Soccer 5 (PS2) ~100k
2. Harvest Moon (NDS) ~70k
3. GTA San Andreas (PS2) ~60k

Famitsu Top 10 Jan 29-Feb 4:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/200...66768,0,0.html

1. J-League Soccer 5 (PS2)
2. Harvest Moon (NDS)
3. GTA San Andreas (PS2)
4. Dragon Quest Monsters (NDS)
5. Wii Sports (Wii)
6. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (NDS)
7. Wii Play (Wii)
8. More Brain Training (NDS)
9. NSMB (NDS)
10. Common Sense Training (NDS)

Pud

Banned
So... how well did Okami sell again?
[insert sales figure]

Oh! Is it possibly because the hardcore make up THE EXTREME MINORITY of PS2 (or any platform, really) purchasers? I hate to mention it again, but it has to be reiterated that what we consider 'casuals' make up the vast majority of purchasers on any popular platform. We are the minority. And DJ Sl4m - your "the Hive" comments aren't welcome. Not to mention your level of denial is hilarious. When Zelda: OOT (aka MGS4 aka FFXIII etc) gets released, the N64 will start outselling the PS1, right?

Pellham

Banned
I like how people try to use nongamers as a way of insulting or degrading the worth of any particular consoles. Elitism at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom