• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic finally did it!

johntown

Banned
Don’t like bullies and buy games on a monopoly called steam. Lol
Monopoly huh. "the exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service"

Not quite because if it was GOG, Origin, Uplay would not exist.

By definitive EGS seems like it is trying to be more of a monopoly than other digital stores.

H4ze

Why not just accept the EGS? I really don't understand why everyone has to bash everything new, until it's old enoughe to be accepted.
I know, one more tool you have to login, but cmon, this is not really that much of a hassle.

mcz117chief

Why not just accept the EGS? I really don't understand why everyone has to bash everything new, until it's old enoughe to be accepted.
I know, one more tool you have to login, but cmon, this is not really that much of a hassle.
Nobody threw shades at GOG for giving us Galaxy. Very few complained about Origin or Uplay (at least I never did). This has nothing to do with EGS. I used EGS when Paragon was around and have heard no one complain about the existence of Paragon on EGS and not on Steam. Either you are being disingenuous or have no idea why people have problem with EGS. Hint: it has literally nothing to do with its age. Hint2: people here in this thread wrote many reasons why EGS is shit tier as well as the entire EPIC management.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

EGS kinda sucks, lacks features, and requires me to open up yet another launcher. Their CEO seems to be a bit of a douche.

Also: has Tetris Effect, one of the coolest games I've played in the last year, and gives me free games like Hyperlight Drifter, and will have Shenmue III when it finally comes out.

Conclusion: all relationships and products and jobs you have in life will come with some drawbacks, but if you think the positives outweigh the negatives, you deal and stop complaining. That's how I see EGS. I don't like having a bunch of game launchers, and some are certainly better than others, but I want to play video games, not be consumed by the minor inconveniences I face or the politicking behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Ixiah

Banned
You will know the answer in 2-5 Years when they roll out their "Premium" Subscription so you get to use Basic Steam Features, like getting 50% off an Game on Sale intead of 25% for Basic users, or an Add plays everytime you start a Game.
Juding by their Actions so far, Epic and Sweeney in particular are more Coldblooded than any Reptile without any attempt to win People over with goodwill and Effort, just Moneyhatting Games, instead of using all that Money to improve Basic Store Features , or pay their Fortnite Team more.
If you want to trust them, good Luck.

M0G

No OP. If anything Epic taught me a valuable life lesson that still hadn't sunk in until this year... You don't need to have every video game you want to buy. There will always be other games to fill my time with. In actual fact Epic has made certain times of the year a lot easier for me to budget for, it's fucking fantastic.

Besides there are very few games that it really excludes you from fully. Games are mostly timed exclusives and available a year later (hopefully cheaper too) or they're available on Gamepass potentially. The games that are 100% exclusive to EGS are more than welcome to remain buried there.

No OP. If anything Epic taught me a valuable life lesson that still hadn't sunk in until this year... You don't need to have every video game you want to buy. There will always be other games to fill my time with. In actual fact Epic has made certain times of the year a lot easier for me to budget for, it's fucking fantastic.

Besides there are very few games that it really excludes you from fully. Games are mostly timed exclusives and available a year later (hopefully cheaper too) or they're available on Gamepass potentially. The games that are 100% exclusive to EGS are more than welcome to remain buried there.
Imagine giving MS a pass on the subject of PC gaming.

Nothing Epic is doing is even close to the shit MS has pulled.

Just another case of social media creating a shitstorm and lemmings eating it up. All the haters sound as crazy as the SJWs.

H4ze

Nobody threw shades at GOG for giving us Galaxy. Very few complained about Origin or Uplay (at least I never did). This has nothing to do with EGS. I used EGS when Paragon was around and have heard no one complain about the existence of Paragon on EGS and not on Steam. Either you are being disingenuous or have no idea why people have problem with EGS. Hint: it has literally nothing to do with its age. Hint2: people here in this thread wrote many reasons why EGS is shit tier as well as the entire EPIC management.

I know exactly why people hate on EGS, but Steam for example, has a lot of issues too, but hey, no problem, because we are using it for over a decade.
I just think, most people crying about EGS are hypocrites.

Don't @ me <3

SweetShark

No at all cause I never had a problem in any way.
I already have games on Steam, GoG, Battlenet, Uplay, itch.io and Origin.
So a extra new client was never an issue. I have like 4 games from them (which I paid) and have plans to get Control and Phoenix Point.

Thaedolus

You will know the answer in 2-5 Years when they roll out their "Premium" Subscription so you get to use Basic Steam Features, like getting 50% off an Game on Sale intead of 25% for Basic users, or an Add plays everytime you start a Game.
Juding by their Actions so far, Epic and Sweeney in particular are more Coldblooded than any Reptile without any attempt to win People over with goodwill and Effort, just Moneyhatting Games, instead of using all that Money to improve Basic Store Features , or pay their Fortnite Team more.
If you want to trust them, good Luck.

I don't know if trust is the right word, but I understand that shit takes time and infinite money can't fix everything overnight. Hiring up and training people takes time. People leaving the business means more work for everyone else while a replacement is hired, trained, etc. It's not like Epic can snap their fingers to fix their shit overnight, but are unwilling because of greed or something. They have issues, especially caused by Fortnight blowing up overnight. But what company doesn't struggle with that kind of instant success/pressure?

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Let's cool it on the Storefront wars trolling in this thread.

Every single EGS or Steam thread does not need to divulge into this.

If someone wants to go ahead and make an official 'Pros and Cons' thread about all the storefronts, have at it.

Catphish

The one PC game I want above all others is RDR2. Luckily, it's on R*SC, or I'd be screwed.

If it were only available on Epic, I would not buy it. Oh well, sucks to be me. I'd find something else to play.

I simply will not support what they're doing.

lukilladog

They have to separate from Tencent and change some of their policies and strategies, I will accept it then. Is that reasonable?

Ps.- I know it´s not realistic, but possible nevertheless.

Ps2.- Hell, even if they have console style exclusives, where they finance new projects, and do not leech on other´s people initiatives, work and inversion, that would be acceptable too.

Last edited:
Borderlands 3 is far and away the most important exclusive game for Epic. Especially since it’s MP focused, so you want to get it while it’s hot and your friends are playing it.

Whitesnake

Banned
I don't know on what planet you or time but in 2019 most of digital stores allow you to buy stuff with 1 click if you have saved information about your CC with bill to your email.
Even without 1 click option it is usually just one screen away where you need just to confirm.

You all sound like buying stuff digitally is murderous process.
God help you if you will go to real shop and have to wait in queue.

First of all, it’s just plain convenient to put everything you want to purchase together see the total price. It’s something every digital store has, except EGS which as far as I can see is held together by the digital equivalent of sticks and string.

Second, if you make too many individual purchases in a short amount of time, your account will be automatically flagged as suspicious and you will be locked out of your account.

For making too many individual purchases.

In a store with no shopping cart.

—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—•—

More on-topic with the thread, I mainly play console and any game that I want that needs to played on PC, I can just get it on steam. Epic will need to come out with a real banger to get me to pay any real attention to their store. TF2 was what sold me on steam, Sims is what sold me on the bullshit that EA has, etc.

Until then, fuck ‘em.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
If I was a PC gamer Borderlands 3 would have been the tipping point for me. But since I havent gamed seriously on PC since the 90s I don’t give a shit about Steam and Valve is a worse company then it once was.

Last edited:
Top Bottom