• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Mickey 2 in development? (Confirmed-ish post 149)

SykoTech

After the "bleh" that was the first game, I can't get too excited for a sequel. Not even if it's going to have traditional controls and be in HD this time. Still, if they get things right this time, I'd be interested. Here's hoping that they succeed where LucasArts failed.

Majmun

Epic Mickey was not worth the two bans I got from it.

Saying that, I'm still looking forward to the sequel. And this time I'm getting the HD version, HA!

Truth101

Banned
Mithos said:
I wonder if it can repeat that when there will be PS360 versions around next time.

Most of the audience will be on the Wii, but there should be no reason for the fanbase to shrink simply because it is a multi-plat release.

apana

Obligatory:

epic-mickey-concept-art.jpg

Please make it happen this time, an HD Epic Mickey on Wii U would be cool. Also anytime I mention Epic Mickey and a console other than the original Wii, I feel like I'm gonna be banned.

Shiggy

It was pretty much confirmed by a fellow gaffer in one of the Disney layoff threads earlier this year. Only their Project Orange, a new IP, was cancelled. Project Orange was in development since 2008 and directed by Neill Glancy.

Effect

I'm there for a sequel. I really enjoyed Epic Mickey. Though Nintendo should try and keep it a Nintendo console series but doubt that would happen. However they really should try to get it for the Wii U launch if it's being made now instead for the Wii. It would certainly be a launch game for me and a big one if they kept the care that was given to Epic Mickey 1 and fixed some of the minor issues it had.

Would be cool if Nintendo managed to get a Mario cameo in it. Mickey and Mario together in a game. :)

Nix

Banned
It was a janky piece of shit from start to finish. That said, I did have some fun playing it still, but that game shouldn't have been green-lit in that state.

Hope they can fix some of those things this time.

Epic Mickey suffered from bad level design, floaty jumps, horrible camera, poor pacing, and inconsequential decisions. The bad levels are easily the biggest problem with the game. They are boring with pointless 2D sections that felt like padding.

Not looking forward to this.

WillyFive

JazzmanZ said:
Warren thought it was stupid.

It would have been awesome, like everything else in the game if the game was polished.

clashfan said:
Never played Epic Mickey, did it turn out as dark and gritty as the early concept art?

A bit darker, actually. The original concept art was much brighter.

Can we port beg for a console that's not out yet?

I'd really like to see something a little closer to that concept art posted above, and in 1080p.

Apenheul

I don't care if it's HD, SD, or even 320x200 but I'd like to see Warren Spector's "play-style matters" idea come to frution this time. I liked Epic Mickey, but there certainly was a lot of room for improvement left.

Hiltz

I definitly will not be playing a sequel to this game.

The early concept art and idea behind this game were cool but the game itself just was not. I just thankful that my friend bought the game instead of me cause I gave up on it about halfway through.

Box art never really comes a long that early, at least from my experience.

Those are some nice renders though, but...people today are pretty good at fakes. Hope its real, could fix a lot of things and be a hit the way Assassin's Creed 1 -> AC2 did.

watershed

Banned
I loved the concept and the concept art of the first one but I found the game to be rather dull. The paint and thinner mechanic were too simple and context sensitive and the platforming just didn't feel good. But there is still massive potential in a Mickey game of this sort so I hope the sequel delivers.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
I just started the first game last week. I'm a few hours into it. I hope it picks up (but it doesn't sound like it does).

So far, I haven't had too much of a problem with the camera and the platforming seems good (not great). The camera only becomes a problem when I'm trying to aim the paintbrush, but a poor use of the pointer is more to blame for that. This paint/thinner, good/evil, moral tree concept is really dumb. Shallow and superficial at best. For all the talking Spector had about it, it feels like a distraction from what could have been a decent platformer.

[edit] The RETCONning of the character's past has been pissing me off more than the camera, controls or concepts. [/edit]

That description for the second game sounds like everything I'm not liking about the first is back.

Red

LiK said:
i would prefer they remake the first one in HD with a useable camera.
The first game could have been really excellent with a better camera and some mission tweaks (less collectathon, more actual platforming).

I liked it, but never finished it because the repetition started to drag out the experience.

I'm glad a sequel is possible though, I'd love to see the concept evolve.

apana said:
Obligatory:

epic-mickey-concept-art.jpg

Please make it happen this time, an HD Epic Mickey on Wii U would be cool. Also anytime I mention Epic Mickey and a console other than the original Wii, I feel like I'm gonna be banned.
Don't make me sad. :(

Noshino

While I have higher hopes given the more capable consoles, I think that Disney (time) and the Wii (scope) will hold back the game once again

toythatkills said:
I see it's had to go multiplatform to stop another mass banning on GAF.

Dragona isnt around anymore :p

Galvanise_ said:
Yeah. Move support Epic Mickey included with Epic Mickey 2 on one BD is something Sony would go for.

Yeah, I can see them doing that.....Sony and Disney will probably go all out and put EM shit all over the place (LBP costumes, Home shit, Dynamic theme, etc)

I never got the original due to it's mediocre response but I was very interested in it since N64 platformers while flawed are still enjoyable to me. I would think it would make more sense to do a 360/ps3/Wii U/vita sequel and did something quick for the Wii/3ds like a 1.5/MM style game. Thats how I would do it anyway because it seems like it would be a lot more work and effort to make a 360/ps3/wii title and one of the systems is going to get the shitty end of the deal

Persona7 said:
Would they port epic mickey to 360 and PS3 though?
Likely not. Nintendo published it in Japan and helped market it likely due to an exclusivety deal.

Top Bottom