• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EpiPens are Becoming Too Expensive For Families To Afford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilsongt

Can we blame Obama and Obamacare for this? You know someone out there will.

It's a tragedy when even preventative medicine is in the hundreds of dollars. Without insurance, my long-lasting inhaler medicine for my asthma would be about $300. When I had a viral infection in my eye, my insurance did not cover the meds. I had to pay roughly $300 for that so I didn't lose my eyesight.

Without a coupon, some skin medicine I was prescribed would have been $500. Without insurance authorization + the coupon, it was still $200. Finally with insurance I had to pay $63.

The pharma industry in this country is broken and I doubt it'll ever be fixed, because fuck the poor getting life saving meds, right?

gwarm01

Biosimilar drugs (i.e. biologic generics) are finally starting to come to market. There will be competition for the Epipen pretty soon.
Epinephrine is a small molecule and generic forms have been available for years. We just need an affordable, FDA-approved autoinjector to effectively compete with brand name EpiPen.

Biosimilar drugs refer to large molecule products, like a complex protein, that cannot reliably be 100% recreated due to the complexity of the amino-acid sequence, but displays equivalent efficacy. Think erythropoietic agents like filgrastim.

Edit: ok I see this was covered already

East Lake

Awkward...

Members of Congress are in an unusual position as they demand an explanation for Mylan NV’s 400 percent price hike for the EpiPen and focus attention squarely on its CEO: Heather Bresch.

If lawmakers follow the usual script, Bresch could get called up to Capitol Hill next month to explain her company’s justification for raising the price on the life-saving allergy shot. But that could be awkward, since she’s the daughter of Democratic Senator Joe Manchin of West Virginia.

While Bresch’s family ties may mute the ire of some lawmakers, others are already asking the company about taxpayers having to foot the bill for these price increases -- particularly after Bresch and the company successfully pushed legislation to encourage use of the EpiPen in schools nationwide.

Mylan is the latest drugmaker to provoke congressional ire for steep price hikes. Martin Shkreli and executives from the company he used to lead, Turing Pharmaceuticals AG, and executives from Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc. were called before congressional committees earlier this year to explain why they bought the rights to older drugs that lacked competition and raised the prices.

But Bresch’s connections to Capitol Hill already have some lawmakers tiptoeing around the usual Washington blame game.

For example, Blumenthal, a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee and a co-sponsor of the 2013 schools bill, asked Bresch in a letter Monday to explain the “shocking price increases.”

However, in an interview Tuesday, he was less eager to talk about Bresch herself or the prospect that she might soon be testifying to the committee.
He initially answered during one telephone call that he was unaware that she had any direct involvement in the pricing. Then, in a follow-up call, Blumenthal responded when asked again about the possibility of her coming before Congress by saying, “I am just not going to comment on that.”

Bresch, 47, has been CEO of Mylan since 2012 and previously held other senior posts at the company, including as head of government relations. Last year, she had to defend the company after it moved its corporate address overseas to lower its U.S. taxes in a transaction known as an inversion. Now incorporated in the Netherlands, its principal executive office is in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania.
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...hter-who-raised-prices-on-anti-allergy-epipen

Skinpop

Do they have a patent on this? The free market solution should be that someone produces a generic drug (as a competitor) at sane prices. If a patent makes that impossible, this is more an issue with the government giving out monopolies for free.
in a real free market patents wouldn't be a thing.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The patent on the drug expired a century ago. The patent on the EpiPen injector expired decades ago. There's no alternative EpiPen because of:

1. Collusion (implicit or explicit) between pharmaceutical companies,
2. Congress's 2003 provision that prohibited negotiation of drug prices (by Medicare), and
3. The FDA's high testing requirements for alternatives.

I mean, not really (maybe 3 works)? Auvi-Q would never have made it to market if the issue was collusion between Mylan and Sanofi. Instead, Auvi-Q got recalled because it sucked and could have resulted in patients dying as a result of anaphylaxis. So that's that.

I think there's been a lot of work by the FDA to speed up generic approvals. The issue is with the stupid pen. I mean there's a reason Teva and other generic manufacturers aren't rushing into the space. We have a similar problem with Advair honestly.

Negotiation of drug prices has nothing to do with why there is no competitive epinephrine autoinjector.

Negotiation of drug prices has nothing to do with why there is no competitive epinephrine autoinjector.

Maybe not but it's BS that the government is one of the only ones in the world who are strictly prohibited from negotiating prices with drug companies. Why was this even made a law?

And the shit show that the government is going to put on by having someone from the company testify as to why the price has increased won't change the fact that lawmakers can't do shit to punish them.

What incentive is there to NOT raise the price? Corporate profits? Lol /rolleyes

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Typically you'll get pushback from the PBMs and insurance companies and you'll be dropped from the formulary. In the case of epipen though, you have almost no real competition. So the price goes up.

People could carry needles around.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
It's been said already in this thread, but damn, we need price controls for drugs. This can't be allowed to happen, it's disgusting. People need this shit, it's not something you try and profit from.

Kittygirl

my little brother depends on having these around. It really disgusts me to see this happen.

This is the only bright light to my unexpected unemployment.

I was put on Medicaid (Thanks Obama! No, really) 2 for free compared to several hundred for one? I'm in there. There used to be generics, but no longer.

injurai

Banned
It's been said already in this thread, but damn, we need price controls for drugs. This can't be allowed to happen, it's disgusting. People need this shit, it's not something you try and profit from.

And you just know that the profit from this isn't going to research.

From the link:

Basically, without training the non-autoinjector alternative can be fatal. So not really, no.

Adrenaclick is a generic autoinjector that can be found from a more reasonable price of 150$ for a package of two.

However, the fact that an alternative exist doesn't change anything about Mylan's directors being scumbags.

And it's not just Epipens.

Beyond that, "Mylan has taken some exceptionally large price increases in 2016," Wells Fargo senior analyst David Maris wrote in a report in June.

"Mylan has raised the prices more than 20 percent on 24 products, and more than 100 percent on seven products," Maris wrote.

He warned that the Netherlands-based drugmaker — whose CEO Heather Bresch saw her compensation increase by nearly 700 percent from 2007 to 2015 — could draw "greater regulatory scrutiny and headline risk" as a result of such price boosts.

They include a stunning 542 percent increase for the drug ursodiol, which is a generic medication used to treat gallstones.

Maris also flagged a 444 percent increase in another generic drug, metoclopramide, which is commonly used to treat GERD, or gastroesophageal reflux disease as well as gastroparesis. Dicyclomine, a drug used to treat irritable bowel syndrome, had its price jacked up by 400 percent by Mylan.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/23/how-...ther-products-besides-life-saving-epipen.html

If hell exist, there's a special spot already reserved for Bresch and her ilk.

Mylan is a company in my hometown. They used to be admirable, being the "little guy" making generic drugs. I have some high school friends who work there (though I haven't seen anyone on Facebook discussing it). This is shameful.

Does the medicine really "expire"? I often think that's corporate bullshit.

If a company wants to increase the price of a product they have acquired, that is within their rights. If there was a company that was selling an Aston Martin at the price of a bicycle, and we buy that company and we ask to charge Toyota prices, I don’t think that that should be a crime. God bless the free market

It's rare that you can so easily take the measure of a man with just a few words. Thank you.

Syriel

Time of a class action lawsuit. As someone with food allergies this really pisses me off.

If the company failed to maximize investor profits there would be a class action lawsuit...from the shareholders (ie pension funds and the like).

This isn't a drug. It's the injector that commands the high price because people don't want to use syringes. The drug is relatively cheap.

Does the medicine really "expire"? I often think that's corporate bullshit.

Yes. Medicine will lose its effectiveness over time.

it's times like this that i wish we had a secret alien overlord who just one day shows up, fed up with our shitty ways and just flat out takes over to fix our stubborn ways. Ugh... this is so disgusting.

Link

The Autumn Wind
If the company failed to maximize investor profits there would be a class action lawsuit...from the shareholders (ie pension funds and the like).

This isn't a drug. It's the injector that commands the high price because people don't want to use syringes. The drug is relatively cheap.

Wow, there really is a defense force for everything. Your explanations are full of shit, btw.

Media

People don't want to use syringes cause without a lot of training, they could die. It's not laziness or anything.

You guys realize ambulances carry expired drugs right? Drugs can be okay even years after the date. You just need to google to see what they are.

Mrbob

The government aided this monopoly and Mylan donated 250k to the Clinton Foundation. Plus the CEO is the daughter of a senator. This isn't going anywhere unfortunately. Too many ties back to the gov for self incrimination.

Dont need a worthless song and dance from the gov on this issue. Go after the FDA and find out why there are more competitors for the epi pen than in the USA. Europe has stronger regulations too.

emag

You guys realize ambulances carry expired drugs right? Drugs can be okay even years after the date. You just need to google to see what they are.

It's true that many medications are still fine for general use after their expiration.

However, epinephrine is greatly reduced in potency after 6-12 months; that's a major concern when someone's in anaphylactic shock and unable to breathe. The dosage needs to be close to correct in an emergency situation.

IISANDERII

The only way the system could work as intended in this situation is if a kid dies because the family couldn't afford it and then they sue for wrongful death. And win, setting a precedent.

entremet

Wow, there really is a defense force for everything. Your explanations are full of shit, btw.
He's just stating truth, not making value judgments.

The company that makes EpiPen is a for profit corporation. That's no lie.

Yes, you can disagree with their methods, but it doesn't change the realities.

Eylos

Banned
in my country medicaments that are essential to life, the state is obliged to give.

The most usual ones are given for free in a public pharmacy, like for example insulin, the unusual ones you have to enter with a law suit (I think that's outrageous), but is certain that you will win.

Health is a constitutional right, that's why it's like that.

I think the only way to revert this in US, its to do the same thing by a law or by the supreme court.

Gigarator

This reminds me that my pens have expired, luckily I get them through the NHS at no charge so shouldn't be a problem. But wow fuck the pharmaceutical industry with this ultra-greed profiteering shit.

Only took them losing 11% off their stock price and $2 billion in market cap.

The market does react to press. PR should be effective and in this case it appears to have helped. Honestly with this kind of incentive I'm not surprised other companies aren't pursuing an alternative to the Epipen, it's pharma so FDA approval does take a bit of time, but when you have such a wide price target to hit I'm really surprised other companies aren't trying to get into it.

This reminds me that my pens have expired, luckily I get them through the NHS at no charge so shouldn't be a problem. But wow fuck the pharmaceutical industry with this ultra-greed profiteering shit.

PHARMA CEO GAVE HERSELF AN $18 MILLION RAISE AFTER HIKING EPIPEN PRICES

Gotta pay for that raise somehow. But if this is how like republicans are. Raising the prices on the poor to support taxcuts and raises for the wealthy and businesses will mean economic prosperity for all.

America the land of the free... I think I'll stay in the UK and get health care for 'free' and only pay a max of like £8 for a one off prescription..

Syraxith

Awkward...

The CEO sounds like a fraud herself:

Taken from reddit:

How does she have a job, or her father in the Senate, after she lied about having an MBA from West Virginia and then an investigation finding that grades were added to her transcript after the fact to make it look like she finished her degree, all while her dad just happened to be governor. Fucking A.

Additional reading.

Heather says the three tenets of her success have been hard work, perseverance, and passion. She’s passionate about two things. “For me there’s just work and family. There’s nothing in the middle,” she says. “There is no exact balance—it is a juggling act.”

From what I've just read she's demonstrated none of these.

Jarmel

Banned
The CEO is on CNBC right now trying to argue this shit and is getting grilled.

"No one is more frustrated than I am"

Apparently Mylan is trying to shift the blame to the 'middlemen'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom