• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ETA PRIME | This New Phone Has A Game Console Mode! A Crazy Fast Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 Hand Set

tusharngf

This new Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 powered gaming phone has a Game COnsole mode built-in allowing you to connect to a monitor or tv and play your favorite games and emulators on a bigger screen! This is the red magic 8 pro plus and it has all the power you need for emulation and android gaming.

TLDR
He tested gamecube/wii/ps2 emulation
God of war 2 running as well

Last edited:

Ribi

If you need a new phone and don't care about the camera a gaming phone should be the logical purchase. Unless it doesn't support your carrier. Only reason I didn't buy the red magic and settled on an Xperia.

Hugare

Why we dont see Snapdragon on dedicated pocket devices like Anbernic or Retroid?

Gaming on a phone is so stupid, imo. Consuming tons of battery of a device that you bought for another purpose, with no decent native controls and etc.

I saw a video yesterday about this device: its nuts. Not only it runs PS2/GC/Wii, but does it at 4x native resolution.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Why we dont see Snapdragon on dedicated pocket devices like Anbernic or Retroid?

Gaming on a phone is so stupid, imo. Consuming tons of battery of a device that you bought for another purpose, with no decent native controls and etc.

I saw a video yesterday about this device: its nuts. Not only it runs PS2/GC/Wii, but does it at 4x native resolution.

A phone with a cheap controller is a great device for low end emulation without having to resort to those AliExpress portables.

Higher end emulation like PS2 and up I am not so sure. Specially since aethersx2 is no longer being updated.

The GPU on this chip has 3.7 TFLOPS. Almost an Xbox Series S/PS4Pro and 2x the Steam Deck.
Well, I didn't know that mobile chips are that good already.
Quest 3, standalone PSVR2, Swiitch-U and low power ARM- PCs should be very interesting soon.

AMD really should get their act together with their APUs, actually providing better GPU performance if the ARM side of HW is already that far.

Rudius

The GPU on this chip has 3.7 TFLOPS. Almost an Xbox Series S/PS4Pro and 2x the Steam Deck.
I was wandering about that. They state those numbers, but I'd like to know if that is the sustained performance of the chip or just a theoretical number never achieved in real use.

You’re right. Gaming phones themselves need a change.

We need less of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

And more of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

If they’re already built for gaming, they should just lean more into that instead of trying to be everything for everyone.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You're so clueless. As per usual.
why... it's a phone...
Dude I had a deck and I emulated a bit on it.
Say what is wrong or just stop.
I am not in love with some pointless phone. nobody will emulate or connect it to a monitor lol

Last edited:

RaduN

Emulation on android has come a long way.

Even a 3 years old smartphone (ex. Rog Phone 3) can play Dreamcast, PS2, GC, Wii (not to mention more or less every arcade game ever made) as good or better than the original console experience.

Play it on the go, connect it to a ps4 dualshok and a TV, your choice, but play you will.

Sustained performance has not been an issue on a well designed device for quite some time.

RaduN

why... it's a phone...
Dude I had a deck and I emulated a bit on it.
Say what is wrong or just stop.
I am not in love with some pointless phone. nobody will emulate or connect it to a monitor lol
So, if you don't do it, no one does ...basically😩

My last three games i played and finished were Gow:Ragnarok on ps4, Shadow Hearts: Covenant (ps2) and Re:4 (wii) both via android emulation.
I had way more fun with the last two, and i can not even begin to describe how gorgeous RE4 looks upscaled, with AA and advanced shaders enabled.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So, if you don't do it, no one does ...basically😩

My last three games i played and finished were Gow:Ragnarok on ps4, Shadow Hearts: Covenant (ps2) and Re:4 (wii) both via android emulation.
I had way more fun with the last two, and i can not even begin to describe how gorgeous RE4 looks upscaled, with AA and advanced shaders enabled.
nah. Nobody will do it.
It's one of these vaporware products that's for no one.
I can't see anyone getting a stupid console phone over steam deck.

Rudius

You’re right. Gaming phones themselves need a change.

We need less of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

And more of this:

maxresdefault.jpg

If they’re already built for gaming, they should just lean more into that instead of trying to be everything for everyone.
Sony should release a Playstation Phone. Basically a modern Xperia Play.

Sony should release a Playstation Phone. Basically a modern Xperia Play.
This would be amazing, but the mobile division of Sony has instead doubled down on having the best camera for a phone. However, they’re constantly being beaten by Samsung due to issues like slow software and autofocus. People want speed when taking tons of photos on a phone and the latest Sony phones feel almost a decade old in that regard.

Top Bottom