• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU- Referendum for the UK..... Neogaf UK are you in or out?

Should the United Kingdom leave the EU?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkified

Yeah that's gonna work just great for you. Instead of being in the EU and being able to directly influence the direction the EU is taking, you'll actually just be left with "Take it or leave it options". The Switzerland (Norway etc.) strategy sounds pretty good, until you realize that whenever you negotiate a deal with the EU, it means that you also have to operate under the rules the European Union set.

Any source on the whole 'We have to conform, while Ger/Fr/It profit'?

Well the UK couldn't help the steel industry over EU state aid laws as it is seen as anti competitive something which Germany has done. Or France has with its creative industries.

Also you think Canada is conforming to the EU rules?

Acorn

Well the UK couldn't help the steel industry over EU state aid laws as it is seen as anti competitive something which Germany has done. Or France has with its creative industries.

You realise deals with nations outside the continent are different? We'd be in turkeys position.

Newline

In all the way. The EU is one of those institutions that people take for granted as its been around for so long. It's necessity reaches far further than the needs of our own country. This is of course all my opinion.

I'm super pro in. I saw a poll by Yougov which showed the better educated you are the more likely you are to vote in, which is completely unsurprising to me.

I'm undecided as I need more information on both sides.

As someone who lives in Yorkshire, I haven't met a single person who wants to stay in the EU. As you expect, the running theme is that people want immigrants off benefits and out of the country. It worries me people aren't looking at the wider scope of things; worries me more when I see people using Britain First as their political guide.

Speaking of immigration I was on the bus home the other day and a idiot from the EDL was blasting away on his phone about how he just wants what's best for England. He wants Britain out of the EU so we can go back to being "proper white british". Then he talked about how he was going to smash someones head in. I'm not really surprised by this shit anymore, I keep seeing more of it every week. Then again I live near Rotherham.

Walshicus

The Westminster government made NO FUCKING EFFORT to try and use existing EU mechanisms to protect the steel industry. Instead Osbourne's hard-on for the fucking Chinese government made that his desired outcome.

Feorax

I do find it interesting how many people forget that the immigration argument works both ways. It's frankly shocking how many people will moan about people coming into this country and taking jobs, and then happily declare that they're looking forward to retiring somewhere on the continent.

Someone mentioned the old ruining it for the young earlier in the thread. To be honest, It's just as likely they will ruin it for themselves.

Lagamorph

As someone who lives in Yorkshire, I haven't met a single person who wants to stay in the EU.

I live in Teesside/North Yorkshire and I'm voting In.

The Westminster government made NO FUCKING EFFORT to try and use existing EU mechanisms to protect the steel industry. Instead Osbourne's hard-on for the fucking Chinese government made that his desired outcome.
What did people expect the government to do with the whole SSI closure thing? I live in Redcar and all I heard in town at the time was how it was all David Cameron's fault and the government should be doing something. But what could they do? The price of steel was way too low. I had a friend who worked at SSI who told me that for SSI to be profitable the price of steel needed to go above $300/ton. Right now it's barely more than half that.
Was the government supposed to just pump money into a hugely loss making industry purely to keep people in work?

I do find it interesting how many people forget that the immigration argument works both ways. It's frankly shocking how many people will moan about people coming into this country and taking jobs, and then happily declare that they're looking forward to retiring somewhere on the continent.

Someone mentioned the old ruining it for the young earlier in the thread. To be honest, It's just as likely they will ruin it for themselves.

The worst "Britain is terrible today" comments on the Daily Mail's website are always posted from Spain by people who probably haven't been here in five years. Unironically.

Sturgeon: Leave vote could trigger independence referendum
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-35624750

(Though she says she still doesn't want Brexit to happen)

This guy I know at work is convinced Brexit is the best way to get Scotland to stay in the union somehow. He is a bit of a weirdo about stuff like this though.

As an Englishman I really wish the Scots had voted for independence because I am kinda getting a bit sick of it being trotted out every other Sunday by Sturgeon and holding it over the head of England as some kind of threat.

Acorn

The telegraph has a countdown clock to Boris's decision. We've went full satire, I feel like I'm in crazy land.

Feorax

Also, IDS can go fuck himself. It's highly likely the other EU members are more at risk of terror with us being in it, not the other way around.

8bit

Knows the Score
How so? Please, do enlighten me how easy it would be for Scotland to join the EU.

Scotland was told again and again by both the EU and independent authorities that they would automatically leave the EU as they would be, essentially, a new country. Re-joining would be virtually impossible whilst it needs Spanish approval.

There were several opinions offered, but no definitive article. Barrosso's opinion was only that, not legally binding. IIRC the SNP were going to try and argue Article 48 would have been a quick route to membership even if they were dropped but it wasn't tested.

Maybe Scotland could have been considered as a unique case with accelerated approval, maybe the rest of the UK could have been kicked out. It would have been an unprecedented act.

I'm super pro in. I saw a poll by Yougov which showed the better educated you are the more likely you are to vote in, which is completely unsurprising to me.

Unsurprising because more educated people are less likely to be negatively affected by the free movement of labour and the addition to the EU of many poorer countries, resulting in the undercutting of working class jobs? Right?

You're not just calling everyone who wants to vote leave dumbos, right?

Lagamorph

There were several opinions offered, but no definitive article. Barrosso's opinion was only that, not legally binding. IIRC the SNP were going to try and argue Article 48 would have been a quick route to membership even if they were dropped but it wasn't tested.

Maybe Scotland could have been considered as a unique case with accelerated approval, maybe the rest of the UK could have been kicked out. It would have been an unprecedented act.

Article 48 still would've required Spanish approval.

I was at Teeside Uni last week for an event called Animex. I talked to someone there about the EU decision and they were in; I should have said I meant South Yorkshire :/
Got my Bachelors and Masters at Teesside, loved that Uni.

Acorn

Unsurprising because more educated people are less likely to be negatively affected by the free movement of labour and the addition to the EU of many poorer countries, resulting in the undercutting of working class jobs? Right?

Tories routinely imply that for labour voters.

Class divide maybe?
The poor are being let down, of course they are mad. Rightfully so.
Yeah, class was identified as the other major factor in dictating how people feel.

No, definitely not. I think leaving the EU will be extremely negative for the UK as a whole, but I do see that our membership isn't positive for everybody. I also definitely don't mean to call them dumb, u understand even if I do disagree.
Tbf the more educated you are the more benefit you get from the EU too.
This is also true. Does anybody know if something would change with Erasmus if it happens?

As an Englishman I really wish the Scots had voted for independence because I am kinda getting a bit sick of it being trotted out every other Sunday by Sturgeon and holding it over the head of England as some kind of threat.
I'm also English and see the threats as a joke for the most part, but imo this would be a big enough change for it to be fair. If they vote strongly against leaving and we leave they have every right to another referendum in my view.

Kathian

Banned
I'm also English and see the threats as a joke for the most part, but imo this would be a big enough change for it to be fair. If they vote strongly against leaving and we leave they have every right to another referendum in my view.

At the very least there will need to be a round of negotiation for devolved powers. Do the Bill of Rights Gove want cover all UK for example or just England.

danowat

Banned
Why should the government pump millions into an industry that is pretty much wholey own by private foreign companies?

Acorn

At the very least there will need to be a round of negotiation for devolved powers. Do the Bill of Rights Gove want cover all UK for example or just England.
Justice is largely devolved and you think we'd settle for a bill of fuck you from tories?

Although admittedly I haven't followed this nearly as closely as I should have been. Is there any sound argument for "out" that isn't related to migrants?

It all looks like fearmongering and pandering by power-hungry fucks (such as Farrage).

This is my stance on it right now. I'm IN, but have to admit I haven't been following the whole thing too closely. Haven't actually heard reasonable arguments for why we should leave the EU.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it would be a shame if Boris backed the 'out' campaign purely for selfish political reasoning - wanting to be PM. He should have the courage of his convictions. People don't vote for him because he panders, they vote for him precisely because he doesn't.

He should stick to his guns on an 'In but on the basis of a common market not political union' stance.

Matty8787

As someone who lives in Yorkshire, I haven't met a single person who wants to stay in the EU. As you expect, the running theme is that people want immigrants off benefits and out of the country. It worries me people aren't looking at the wider scope of things; worries me more when I see people using Britain First as their political guide.

Speaking of immigration I was on the bus home the other day and a idiot from the EDL was blasting away on his phone about how he just wants what's best for England. He wants Britain out of the EU so we can go back to being "proper white british". Then he talked about how he was going to smash someones head in. I'm not really surprised by this shit anymore, I keep seeing more of it every week. Then again I live near Rotherham.

Out of interest, where? I am in Barnsley!

As for voting I am leaning towards out but I dunno. Going to do some research and weigh up the pro/con's of each.

Acorn

it would be a shame if Boris backed the 'out' campaign purely for selfish political reasoning - wanting to be PM. He should have the courage of his convictions. People don't vote for him because he panders, they vote for him precisely because he doesn't.

He should stick to his guns on an 'In but on the basis of a common market not political union' stance.
To be fair the common market ain't an option. He always flip flops and panders. He acts dumb to hide his hard right wing positions.

Assuming everything stayed the same and we had a bill of no rights imposed on us.

You really do take the English for a bunch of right wing zealots, just waiting to turn the country into some kind of Texas, led by a Donald Trump like figure don't you.

Just for once, get over this self appointed sense of Scottish moral superiority will you..it doesn't exist.

This is also true. Does anybody know if something would change with Erasmus if it happens?

I'm not sure if that was a joke but I wasn't talking about Erasmus at all. IMO the general problem with our discussion about immigration in the UK is that it's very broad stroke - how many benefits do they take, how many businesses do they start, how much tax do they pay etc. And so you have people saying, truthfully, things like "Immigration brings in £x million to the exchequer and create 300,000 new jobs!" or whatever. But that doesn't break it down - as Quiche mentioned above, whilst you can quite easily look at net stats, that doesn't tell you that some groups benefit whilst others are harmed. In the case of immigration, it's overwhelmingly the educated middle classes that benefit (because they get cheaper services, cheaper goods, they get to enjoy that nice Hungarian cafe for brunch, they're more likely to be able to move abroad for good work opportunities as well as being more likely to be offered them in the first place etc) where as the working classes have seen the competition for their jobs rocket, driving down wages and removing from them the few high-paid industries that remained to them (notably the trades that require some form of apprenticeship like plumbing, electricians etc) and the low-skilled jobs that were typically the reserve of uneducated young people - shops, restaurants, fast food, cafe's etc - now have so much competition from people who often are older and with more experience (but to whom working minimum wage in the UK is still better than if they'd not been able to come here) that they either can't get a job or they find that their wages hardly change because of the enormous pressures keeping them down. They're also very unlikely to find themselves getting job offers from elsewhere in the EU if they're uneducated, so that reciprocal benefit isn't actually a benefit to them.

In short, you mentioned that the more educated someone is, the more chance they are to want to remain in the EU and the implication there was kinda that the people that want to leave are dumb and don't know what's good for them. My point was that it could be that the two groups - uneducated and educated - are not affected by the EU in the same way and that this is why there's a discrepancy in their support for the EU.

Acorn

You really do take the English for a bunch of right wing zealots, just waiting to turn the country into some kind of Texas, led by a Donald Trump like figure don't you.

Just for once, get over this self appointed sense of Scottish moral superiority will you..it doesn't exist.
You vote for tories so we get tories. It's not moral superiority it's a crucial difference that leaves no side happy.

Acorn

Ignore, deflect and obfuscate...typical SNP cult response.
Former member of labour voted snp once in my life. You deflected by making a nonsense point when we can't impose left wing policies on the uk like the tories can.

Edit you do realise not everyone that wants independence is with the snp? But just box people in so you can dismiss.

I'm not sure if that was a joke but I wasn't talking about Erasmus at all. IMO the general problem with our discussion about immigration in the UK is that it's very broad stroke - how many benefits do they take, how many businesses do they start, how much tax do they pay etc. And so you have people saying, truthfully, things like "Immigration brings in £x million to the exchequer and create 300,000 new jobs!" or whatever. But that doesn't break it down - as Quiche mentioned above, whilst you can quite easily look at net stats, that doesn't tell you that some groups benefit whilst others are harmed. In the case of immigration, it's overwhelmingly the educated middle classes that benefit (because they get cheaper services, cheaper goods, they get to enjoy that nice Hungarian cafe for brunch, they're more likely to be able to move abroad for good work opportunities as well as being more likely to be offered them in the first place etc) where as the working classes have seen the competition for their jobs rocket, driving down wages and removing from them the few high-paid industries that remained to them (notably the trades that require some form of apprenticeship like plumbing, electricians etc) and the low-skilled jobs that were typically the reserve of uneducated young people - shops, restaurants, fast food, cafe's etc - now have so much competition from people who often are older and with more experience (but to whom working minimum wage in the UK is still better than if they'd not been able to come here) that they either can't get a job or they find that their wages hardly change because of the enormous pressures keeping them down. They're also very unlikely to find themselves getting job offers from elsewhere in the EU if they're uneducated, so that reciprocal benefit isn't actually a benefit to them.

In short, you mentioned that the more educated someone is, the more chance they are to want to remain in the EU and the implication there was kinda that the people that want to leave are dumb and don't know what's good for them. My point was that it could be that the two groups - uneducated and educated - are not affected by the EU in the same way and that this is why there's a discrepancy in their support for the EU.
I probably should have worded that differently, sorry. The university thing led me to wonder what would change, it meant to be an unrelated question.

And with regards to the impacts, that's definitely right. The two groups are definitely impacted very differently by the fact of our membership of the EU. Outside of that however, compared with less educated young people I think the better educated are more likely To be aware of impact on the whole of the country than someone of the same age who didn't go to university.

But yeah, I should have made it clear that there are very different impacts of membership on different people, with people like myself being the main beneficiaries. However, I think regardless I'd probably be in, but many wouldn't be.

kmag

You vote for the SNP which won't raise taxes by 1p to spend on services in times of austerity...sounds Tory to me.

The SNP would happily raise taxes (they did after all propose replacing council tax with a 'local' income tax which would have increased the contributions of middle and higher earners), they're not going to raise it by 1p across all bands which is all they're allowed to do with the powers they've been given. Or are you suggesting that tax should be raised on the bottom earners to prevent the effects of austerity (because that would seem to a bit silly)

we can't impose left wing policies on the uk like the tories can.

That's what devolution is for, the SNP can raise taxes to spend on this mythical, more caring sharing Scottish sensibility that we keep hearing about, all they like, but won't.

They won't even commit to an extra 1p on taxes to fund this Scottish utopia.

Don't tell me the SNP are left wing, because they aren't.

They're just Tories without the posh English accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom