• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT| of England? You're having Olaff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korez

4495500_700b.jpg

Jay Sosa

Shouldn't matter here, the quality of your players and lack of it on our end should speak for itself. I can understand that you've struggled against better Swedish sides back when we used to have good defense and midfielders in better shape but this should have been a comfortable victory for England.

dude, carrol is playing in this squad. they're like that team with keanue reeves in that football movie.

A wins a win, but given the players that England have it shouldn't have been that hard. Too many English players just seem to switch off when it comes to international football, yet throughout the premier league season they bust a gut every week.

Go to laugh at this, I could understand someone saying for this for a team like Germany/Spain, but Sweden?

Shut up and get aboard the hype train! Next stop, the Final and GLORY!!!! WOOOH WOOOOH!!!!

Passenger announcement, this train will be terminating at the Quarter Finals. A bus service will be provided to the airport.

Wes

venison crêpe
I hate 606 after tournament internationals. the people who get through are fools. On weekends it's generally good.

Bento

Whatever makes the loss more bearable for you.
I went in expecting a loss honestly so I'm not that torn up about it, don't think we deserve to go through and mentioned that earlier in the thread as well. Just surprised by their inability to keep possession and think that England at times reminded me too much of us in our game against Ukraine. Sloppy passes, poor first touches and lack of movement off ball.

Chuckie

I saw this on Dutch tv...it was pretty funny.

It's an Ukrainian presenter trying to make an item about the game.... while hundreds of Dutch supporters walking by.

Video

Bento

Listening to 606 just to make me angry.

I'm sad for Sweden, Hopefully Denmark have more luck (lol, unlikely)
Don't be. Playing poor fotball = going home, simple as that. Our first half was very poor overall and while our second half was better offensively our defense just can't keep up anymore :(

kitch9

Banned
Go to laugh at this, I could understand someone saying for this for a team like Germany/Spain, but Sweden?

They are our bogey team. A team who over the years we should have been able to beat but either ended up losing or drawing in tournaments.... Friendlies haven't really been a problem.

Don't be. Playing poor fotball = going home, simple as that. Our first half was very poor overall and while our second half was better offensively our defense just can't keep up anymore :(

You don't need to play good football when you have such good facial hair.

modulaire

There was an interesting segment on German television about the German chief scout Urs Siegenthaler and how they are analyzing every team and every single player Germany might face at the Euro.

50 students at a Sport University are watching hundreds of games, looking for patterns, tactics, weaknesses etc.

I'm sure all big teams are doing something similar, but it's still impressive.

Welbeck is lanky and looks a bit awkward for it, but he's actually one of United's best technical prospects; certainly our best academy-produced striker since Mark Hughes. Going to be some player.

It's strange that in the Fergie years our academy has produced 2 premier league strikers. Welbeck and Scholes. And Scholes didn't stay a striker for very long. (2 goals on his debut up front in the league cup though, I remember!)

kitch9

Banned
There was an interesting segment on German television about the German chief scout Urs Siegenthaler and how they are analyzing every team and every single player Germany might face at the Euro.

50 students at a Sport University are watching hundreds of games, looking for patterns, tactics, weaknesses etc.

I'm sure all big teams are doing something similar, but it's still impressive.

With England it's easy.... Let them score first and watch them fall to pieces.

Bento

Carroll was actually pretty good today.
Agreed, fought hard and did quite a bit with the little he got. If he gets more service from the midfield he could become quite the danger for opposing teams. Also, will Rooney take Welbecks spot on the team or will Hodgson try and fit him alongside the other two strikers? Maybe in a CAM role? How have they played in the friendlies?

Ianan

That match was incredible. Don't understand the hate for Carroll, thought he played some good football. All 3 England goals were brilliant, some good team work but still very sloppy at times. Milner needs to be removed from the starting team for now.

carroll was terrible as usual except for the goal, which was pretty great.
Nah thought he did quite well. Never going to be a special player IMO but England need somebody who can just hold that ball up there and relieve some pressure and he did that well. Also linked up with the midfield nicely at times.

Nothing spectacular but what England needed from him IMO.

Sanjay

Young was awful, Parker and Milner should never play professional football again.

Playing Carroll makes the other England players do stupid shit, we were never this bad against France where we actually passed it around a few times and made the pass counter above five.

Having said that, GO ON ENGLAND WE CAN GREECE IT!

Visceir

Made more than 10 bet predictions on today's matches and only got one wrong (england winning second half). Still pretty much doubled my money.

carroll was terrible as usual except for the goal, which was pretty great.

Well he is the only player in recent memory who actually did a good job when we resorted to our classic tactics of just hit it up the field.

Young was a waste of space, Walcott and Ox need to start on the wings, running at players make such a huge difference to our play.

leadbelly

Banned
We need to win against Ukraine about 4 - 0. Maybe France will draw against Sweden, but that is probably unlikely.

I have no fucking idea what England is going to turn up against Ukraine. Certainly not an easy match to predict based on this performance. I would like to say that in all likelihood we will end up with 2nd place, but even that is far from certain.

What we really need is 1st place to avoid Spain.

Acheteedo

?
Unfavourable result against this Swedish side, really? You have better players on almost every position. Gerard + Parker should annihilate Svensson and Källström in the midfield, it just seems like you're playing way below your potential.

New to watching England?

Anyway, thoughts:

1. We're going to get destroyed by the better teams.
2. That feeling of dread when we go 1 goal up is reinforced, what a shock :|
3. To be fair, we don't give up when we're down, we even displayed this quality vs Germany when they whooped us in the world cup. That's... something at least.
4. It was a great match to watch from a neutral perspective, which, after that France game, is nice.

So yeah, we're still as screwed as we were at the start of the tournament, but at least we're producing entertainment.

Acheteedo

We need to win against Ukraine about 4 - 0. Maybe France will draw against Sweden, but that is probably unlikely.

I have no fucking idea what England is going to turn up against Ukraine. Certainly not an easy match to predict based on this performance. I would like to say that in all likelihood we will end up with 2nd place, but even that is far from certain.

What we really need is 1st place to avoid Spain.

Can't we still luck out and have Spain finish second?

amen to that, Acheteedo!

entrainment factor is more important to me when watching games from a neutral perspective

Since England can't outright impress, we might as well entertain :p

leadbelly

Banned
What a game, first half was kind of boring, but the second was fantastic.

Go England !

Well, there was a reason why the game was more exciting second half, England were 2 - 1 down. They had to pick up the pace or else we would have been in a very bad position. There was more urgency in their play. England just don't have the confidence and that seems to translate into them forcing the ball too much and giving the ball away unnecessarily. It's almost as if they're thinking too much about what would happen if they get caught on the ball, which ends up with them being far too cautious and ironically giving the ball away.

Of course when they went 2 - 1 down, those sort of thoughts completely disappeared and they started passing the ball faster without caring too much about what would happen if they got dispossessed.

Can't we still luck out and have Spain finish second?

Well, all sorts of things could happen, but I am thinking of it in terms of what is more likely to happen.

Rulza

Neo Member
I am convinced that Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the cause of Sweden's failure. No team can benefit from having a player who's extremely overrated and 10 times more famous than everyone else.

I am convinced that Zlatan Ibrahimovic is the cause of Sweden's failure. No team can benefit from having a player that's extremely overrated and 10 times more famous than everyone else.

Isn't that the case with Ronaldo though? I guess the difference being he's not extremely overrated

Inversive

Agreed, fought hard and did quite a bit with the little he got. If he gets more service from the midfield he could become quite the danger for opposing teams. Also, will Rooney take Welbecks spot on the team or will Hodgson try and fit him alongside the other two strikers? Maybe in a CAM role? How have they played in the friendlies?

Or he could take Carrolls spot on the team. Rooney and Welbeck already have a partnership at United so it makes sense to me. I wouldn't mind Rooney in the CAM role but he's been inconsistant there at United at times.

Sweden overall played better than England. Isaksson was soooo bad at Englands second goal, what the Fuck was He doin!!? Also, Elm, Larsson sucked. To bad.

Isn't that the case with Ronaldo though? I guess the difference being he's not extremely overrated

The difference is that Portugal has other good players. Sweden has mediocre players in most positions.

I'm pretty sure Zlatan is over the hill though. He's been really slow these last two games, and doesn't seem to want to even try and do something. Previous years he's been at least passing and dribbling, even if it hasn't always resulted in anything, and he has saved Sweden quite a number of times before. Now he's just standing still with the ball and doing nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom