• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belzebuth

Banned
It's true that Spain's normal playstyle is to pass the ball around to sap the other team's stamina and then pounce when they get tired. But this didn't work in the Portugal or Italy match. In fact, Italy had the majority ball possession for a change (at least the first half). Regarding the Portugal match, there was a very clear difference in stamina between Portugal and Spain, in favor of Spain. Portugal was better side the first half, the second half it was tied and only in extra time did Spain suddenly get the upper hand, overpowering Portugal with ease. And Spain has won many a finals match in extra time, so doping would definitely be very useful.

I didn't see Spain superior to Portugal until the extra time. Did you see how brutal the pressing of Portugal was? Spain was suffocated, they couldn't make their usual game, and that way you end up paying at the end of the match. Portugal resisted because of their best physical shape until the extra time, where Spain passed over them and had the best chances of winning before pk's. Portugal didn't measure their effort and wasted all their fuel in the first 75 minutes. Spain is more like a diesel engine.

The Italy possession is easy to explain: Spain scores early, Italy reacts pushing harder (don't forget that the rivals also play, and they play well) making an extra effort to reenter the match as soon as possible, instead of that they receive another goal a counter attack. When you are down 2 goals on a final you are going to do a great physical effort, voluntarily or not, then, when you are left with 10 players, it all comes down like a card castle.

sneaky77

It's true that Spain's normal playstyle is to pass the ball around to sap the other team's stamina and then pounce when they get tired. But this didn't work in the Portugal or Italy match. In fact, Italy had the majority ball possession for a change (at least the first half). Regarding the Portugal match, there was a very clear difference in stamina between Portugal and Spain, in favor of Spain. Portugal was better side the first half, the second half it was tied and only in extra time did Spain suddenly get the upper hand, overpowering Portugal with ease. And Spain has won many a finals match in extra time, so doping would definitely be very useful.

really, doping? gtfo.

keit4

Banned
Also

Wielrennen__Epospor_363645h.jpg

ffs

This hate is getting ridiculous...

spekkeh

Banned
Someone does not like Spain to win the third big championship in a row so they try to find the most stupid reasons. Yes. I am talking to you.

I did not like them winning their second big championship in a row to be more precise. Apart from the outstanding way they played the final, they're the most coma-inducing champions ever. It makes me think fondly of Italy's catenaccio period.

I didn't see Spain superior to Portugal until the extra time. Did you see how brutal the pressing of Portugal was?

Wait, so if Spain does brutal pressing in all of their matches it's to sap the other team's stamina, but if they're brutally pressed it's only logical that the other team gets tired?

The stamina of the Spanish team is otherworldly. Could be that they have a truly excellent training regimen. Could be that their relatively small size is beneficial to them. But if Fuentes says that "if I speak up, Spain will have to hand in their world cup", I tend to connect smoke to fire.

sneaky77

I did not like them winning their second big championship in a row to be more precise. Apart from the outstanding way they played the final, they're the most coma-inducing champions ever. It makes me think fondly of Italy's catenaccio period.

Wait, so if Spain does brutal pressing in all of their matches it's to sap the other team's stamina, but if they're brutally pressed it's only logical that the other team gets tired?

The stamina of the Spanish team is otherworldly. Could be that they have a truly excellent training regimen. Could be that their relatively small size is beneficial to them. But if Fuentes says that "if I speak up, Spain will have to hand in their world cup", I tend to connect smoke to fire.

Spain does not do brutal pressing all match long.. it's a coordinated effort to press hard right after losing the ball to try to get it back, but then they lay off.
Also when you usually have the ball over 60% of the match it's not as much time running after the ball.

Belzebuth

Banned

Man, I now doubt if you have seen more than one game... Spain (read also Barcelona) do not make a brutal pressing all the match, like Portugal did, Spain does pressing when they lose the ball, they do that so they can: First, trouble the rival as much as possible at the beginning of their play. Second, to retrieve the ball quickly in dangerous zone. If the ten seconds tops pressing does not work it stops. Portugal pressed all the f***ing time until minute 75 - 80.. There's big difference in pressing mindlessly and pressing only at the right times.

Sylver

Banned
According with media Thiago finally has the ok for olympic games.
nty2C.jpg

Iniesta MVP of the Euro.
jgKqI.jpg

Lucky Madrid citizens, our shitty Barcelona's Mayor didn't let us to put a Big screen in the city on the same way the last one did during World Cup, or some other big cities have done this year.
Mwb8K.jpg

celebration starts at 20:00.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Man, I now doubt if you have seen more than one game... Spain (read also Barcelona) do not make a brutal pressing all the match, like Portugal did, Spain does pressing when they lose the ball, they do that so they can: First, trouble the rival as much as possible at the beginning of their play. Second, to retrieve the ball quickly in dangerous zone. If the ten seconds tops pressing does not work it stops. Portugal pressed all the f***ing time until minute 75 - 80.. There's big difference in pressing mindlessly and pressing only at the right times.

Portugal pressed? In what year was this?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ah I thought that was what you meant. If you mean that Portugal, unlike Spain, play on the attack when they have the ball, I agree with you.

What a silly thing to say. Spain ALWAYS play on the attack; their style is just more reminiscent of a chess game than a battering ram. Parking the bus or waiting in their area for the rival is not what they do.

This whole tikinaccio thing is beyond senseless.

spekkeh

Banned
Spain ALWAYS play on the attack
Nope, theirs is a defensive game, they just do it with ball possession. In the words of JC the Saviour (I'm talking about Cruijff of course) "if we have the ball, they can't score". Thinking that ball possession = attack is an outdated concept.

Leonsito

I noticed a few of the Barca boys last night carrying the Catalan flag. How is this sort of stuff received by the Spanish media?

Pedro and Silva had flags from Canarias, Mata and Cazorla from Asturias, Llorente from La Rioja, Ramos from Andalucia...

People doesn't give a fuck, media (specially right-wing media) sees it as a provocation.

Noirulus

No Joao Moutinho on that list has to be a joke unless nobody saw the games against Spain and Czech Republic. But I guess you have to play in a bigger club than FC Porto to get on that list.

Fabio Coentrao did a nice Euro but he clearly wasn't a top 6 defender. But he plays for Real Madrid so he gets in.

Completely agree that Moutinho should've been included. He did so much for Portugal from defending to creating plays.

Coentrao absolutely HAS to be in the Euro squad, though. He just keeps running and running on the pitch, such incredible stamina. His defending was brilliant, almost never falling for fakes and pressuring attackers all over his side. And if that wasn't enough, he played like a winger on the counter-attack sharing some excellent passes while slicing through defenders like butter.

Felt so sorry for him when he was crying at the end of the semi-final game. He gives his 100% whenever he's on the pitch.

xbhaskarx

The result of the Euro 2012 soccer tournament made this much clear: Europe's best players live in Spain, but they work in England.

English Premier League players accounted for 23 of the 76 goals scored at the Euro, which concluded Sunday with Spain's 4-0 demolition of Italy. Spain's Fernando Torres and Italy's Mario Balotelli, who tied for the tournament scoring lead with three goals, highlight the list of international superstars whose day job is in the EPL—Torres with Chelsea, Balotelli with Manchester City.

Players from Bundesliga, the top German league, finished second with 15 goals, including three by Germany's Mario Gomez (Bayern Munich). The tally takes into account each player's current club and doesn't include goals scored by free agents or own goals.

In all, 12 different European leagues had a player score at the Euro, including the Scottish Premier League, The Championship (England's No. 2 tier) and Primeira Liga (Portugal's top league).

But while the Premier League dominated overall, the highest-scoring club by this measure was Spain's Real Madrid. Real players tallied eight goals, led by Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo (three) and Spain's Xabi Alonso (two). Players from Wolfsburg and Manchester City each scored seven.

Truly Premier

The number of goals each league scored in Euro 2012:

league #
Premier League (ENG) 23
Bundesliga (GER) 15
La Liga (ESP) 13
Serie A (ITA) 6
Russian Premier League 5
Super League Greece 4
Danish Superliga 2
Ukrainian Premier 2
The Championship (ENG) 1
Ligue 1 (FRA) 1
Primeira Liga (POR) 1
Scottish Premier League 1

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm sure England-GAF are thrilled.

Edit: Fucking hell, Socreges was banned? Now I now why I missed him during the celebrations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom